No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: New Pet.... [Re: Nessmuck] #7730281
11/29/22 08:34 PM
11/29/22 08:34 PM
Eau Claire Wi
Trap Setter Offline
trapper
Trap Setter  Offline
trapper

Eau Claire Wi
I was told by an elderly native lady that if you see an owl while hunting, go home it means no game for you that day. I didn't believe it and have seen many owls while hunting but never got any critters those days. But I still keep hunting when I see one cause it can't be true right?

Life sure is tough when you don't learn from the mistakes of others.
Re: New Pet.... [Re: Nessmuck] #7730295
11/29/22 08:42 PM
11/29/22 08:42 PM
West GA
T
T-REV Offline
trapper
T-REV  Offline
trapper
T

West GA
Back when I was about 20. I was heading home from my girlfriend’s house and a little screech owl glided out of the trees right in front of my F250. It made me sick I thought I killed him for sure. When I got home I noticed he was alive in the grill. He just took a ride to my house. I had a pair of thick welding gloves in the truck. I put them on and freed him from the grill. He sat there looking at me for a bit. I literally said “Im sorry”. Then he flew off. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: New Pet.... [Re: MnMan] #7730414
11/29/22 10:46 PM
11/29/22 10:46 PM
Mn
N
nightlife Offline
trapper
nightlife  Offline
trapper
N

Mn
Originally Posted by MnMan
And here I was thinkin' you got another one of these: Shame on me.

[Linked Image]

Back in the 60's before the Horned Owl was protected in MN, I raised one from a chick that a neighbor boy found under a nest. I paid him 50 cents for it and had it for a number of years. It was very interesting. I fed it muskrat carcasses and chipmunks, red squirrels, crows, and snowshoe hares. When tethered out in the open, it made the best crow decoy imaginable. Many crows fell before him and their meat was appreciated by him as well.
Nice owl pic, Nessmuck!

I had one for several years as well, only I climbed the tree to get it, still have the scar from getting hit by one of the parents when i was by their nest, went right through a good shirt and Jean jacket and opened my shoulder up like it was cut by a knife

She was a good and interesting pet as long as she was well fed, when she got hungry she turned into the wicked witch, had no fear of anything, I once seen her backdown the neighbors German shepherd a dog ever kid in the neighborhood was scared of, she ended up latched onto the dogs head with accompanying screaming and howling followed by the dog hightailing it home, followed by a visit by an irate neighbor upset by having his dog hurt, I don’t not know what was better watching that dog get its comeuppance or my dad who only came up to the guys shoulder pretty much doing the same to it’s owner and all without even raising his voice

I have several Native American friends who if they hear an owl call will turn and walk away from the area

�Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.�
― Robert A. Heinlein
Re: New Pet.... [Re: Nessmuck] #7730590
11/30/22 07:43 AM
11/30/22 07:43 AM
West GA
T
T-REV Offline
trapper
T-REV  Offline
trapper
T

West GA
I have sat in the stand before and had a large owl land in the pine tops a couple trees over. He gave off a few calls and flew off. Cool to see but eerie as crap when its still dark in the morning and you hear a loud whooping sound of the wings and crashing of branches.

Re: New Pet.... [Re: Nessmuck] #7730673
11/30/22 10:57 AM
11/30/22 10:57 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
I guess it's been enough years ago to admit. I have picked up several raptors that have been hurt most hit by vehicals. The first was a red tail I found while rabbit hunting. I called the CO and took it to the zoo my wife worked at. They looked it over then flew it to a rehabilitation center in northern Indiana where it was later released. The last one was a bard owl I found on the interstate 64 just past the 105 exit. It had a broken leg it was Thanksgiving a few years back. I picked it up covered it head and took it with us. We got a hold of the rehab center at Harty lake and I drove it up to them a few days later when they were open. It was released 7 months later.

One bard owl I picked up had a broken wing and blood dripping off its beak and could not keep its eyes open. I figured it would die for sure but couldn't leave it in the road to be hit or on the side for coyotes to eat so I picked it up with the intent to getting it to a rehabilitation center. I set its wing feed and watered it when I got home and put it in a dark quit spot. I had forgotten about the wife's plans that morning and my leisurely drive through the mines made us late and she was not happy when I got home.
I forgot about that owl for a few days tell I heard it moving around. It was a weekend and I couldn't get ahold of anyone again. At that point I started wondering if I turned it over if I would get in trouble for having had it a few weeks. So being young I just keep it. When it's wing had healed and it could fly around it's inclosure I feed it all it would eat for a few weeks then left the door open. It flew up to the top of a tree and hung out. She ended up calling in a mate making a nest 70 yards off the back porch each nesting seasion for the next 6 years. My daughter was very small and loved taking the turkey locator owl hooter out and would hoot back and forth with it . They are a very neat animals.

If I ever get time and can find someone to take me as an apprentice falconer I would like to do that but 10 to one it will never happen.

Re: New Pet.... [Re: Nessmuck] #7730686
11/30/22 11:06 AM
11/30/22 11:06 AM
Nebraska
Trapset Offline
trapper
Trapset  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Almost as bad as seeing three crows, as far as bad omens go..................

Re: New Pet.... [Re: Actor] #7730832
11/30/22 01:37 PM
11/30/22 01:37 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted by Actor
How about a poem... who is the purveyor of the future... One that I wrote...

Garry-
==========================

Mister Owl

Mister Owl, Mister Owl please speak to me.
Tell me of the future, that I can not see.

Tell me of your moaning’s and howls ….
Those piercing calls, that wrench my bowels.

Who is the one and what do you forecast.
Please tell me my story and how long it will last.

Will peace come to me, by disease or what way?
Will it be slow to come or will I have a say?

For it has been foretold, more years than I can recall ….
That once I had found true love, I would have had it all.

That day has come, with the greatest of Love.
I guess my time is over, and I will go up above.

Mister Owl, Mister Owl, call no more for me.
I‘m at the end of my story, as you can plainly see.

July 10, 2005

Wow! Nice job!

I don't care how nice the hand soap smells, you should never walk out of the restroom sniffing your fingers.
Re: New Pet.... [Re: Nessmuck] #7731013
11/30/22 06:13 PM
11/30/22 06:13 PM
ny
G
gcs Online content
trapper
gcs  Online Content
trapper
G

ny
Where do you guys learn some of this stuff? lol
Shoot ,around here y'all would never get out of bed for all the hooting going on. grin

Re: New Pet.... [Re: Boco] #7731033
11/30/22 06:53 PM
11/30/22 06:53 PM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
Originally Posted by Boco
Thats a bad omen.

Are you really afraid of owls?

Re: New Pet.... [Re: Nessmuck] #7731036
11/30/22 06:57 PM
11/30/22 06:57 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
No ,I am not afraid of death.I just said owls are a harbinger of death and a bad omen.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: New Pet.... [Re: Nessmuck] #7731481
12/01/22 07:52 AM
12/01/22 07:52 AM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
Interesting. I know you are not alone in that belief. Everybody has their own take on things. To me, they are just a cool bird of prey.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread