No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Lot of Bull #7732642
12/02/22 01:43 PM
12/02/22 01:43 PM
Wabash, IN USA
Flipper 56 Offline OP
trapper
Flipper 56  Offline OP
trapper

Wabash, IN USA
My Neighbor that lets me trap ask if I could check his automatic waterer for cattle because he was going away for a couple days. Said there were just a couple bulls in there. So, on my way home from checking the two otter sets I went back the lane to his barn, unlocked the gate and walked up the hill past the barn.

When I get to the top of the hill, I see a huge black bull facing me, staring right at me. He looks really thick at the shoulders and I am thinking part Cape Buffalo! The little voice is saying, RUN!!!! Old person little voice saying, too close to run from, will catch me before the fence, and of course I am too old and fat to make it over the fence and would be in the hot wire anyway.

Walked past them and the water was fine, bulls watched me and didn't care. Wouldn't want to go toe to toe with the big one for sure.

"Where Can A Man Find Bear Beaver And Other Critters Worth Cash Money When Skinned?"

Re: Lot of Bull [Re: Flipper 56] #7732646
12/02/22 01:46 PM
12/02/22 01:46 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
That's a real load up your pants moment!

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Lot of Bull [Re: Flipper 56] #7732687
12/02/22 03:12 PM
12/02/22 03:12 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Flipper, back in my early days with the telephone company I had a trouble on this farm. Well their phone lines fed from a pole run about .25 miles from their house through a pasture. I was told to not go in the pasture because of the bull and I’d have to walk about .75 miles around to get to the pole. Couldn’t drive a truck anywhere even remotely close so I grabbed my climbers and off I went.
That bull saw me from across the pasture walking the edge and charged but would stop just shy of the fence. No biggie, I was good.
I made it to the pole and ran into some “complications” I improvised and in the process got the taste knocked out of me from induction while up the pole. A 15 minute job had me hanging off that pole for almost an hour. If safety had come up on me I’m sure I would’ve been fired on the spot.
Once I finally climbed down I was beat. I was dripping sweat (97 that day with about 70% humidity) I decided screw that bull I wasn’t walking .75 miles around, I was going to take that .25 miles straight to my truck. I crossed the fence and here came the bull. It wasn’t a deer in the headlights look I gave the bull, it was I’ve had ENOUGH of the day look. He came like he was going to plow me under and I don’t know what he sensed, but he stopped well short of me and pawed the ground, blew out snot with a bellow, and turned around and went back to whatever he was doing before.
I honestly don’t know if he sensed I wasn’t in the mood or the fact I shows absolutely no emotion one way or the other. But that farmer saw me and the bull and was already dialing 911 until he saw the bull stop and turn around. He said when 911 answered he told them never mind and that he had just witnessed a miracle, lol. All I cared about was his phone was working and that was my last job for the day.

Re: Lot of Bull [Re: Flipper 56] #7732785
12/02/22 05:08 PM
12/02/22 05:08 PM
Hancock Co., Indiana
Kart29 Offline
trapper
Kart29  Offline
trapper

Hancock Co., Indiana
I'm scared of all cattle - bulls or even just FMC's (that's a McManus reference for those of you that don't know).

I was with a landowner scouting some trapping ground one time and he was busy moving cattle from one pasture to another. He had a BIG black angus bull that was trying to go a different direction than the farmer wanted. So, the farmer stood in front of the bull, put both hands on his face and shoved the bull's nose over in the direction he wanted the bull to go. The bull complied. I don't think I could ever get up the nerve to do that.

One time when I was just a kid I was hunting squirrels in a friend's cow pasture. Some steer or cow walked right up to me one time and stood about 5' away from me. For protection, I was trying to keep a four-inch tree between us. I was sure I was staring imminent death in the face and serious considered blasting the brute the in face with my .410 and a load of 7.5 shot. After an eternity of ten minutes of the beast looking at me and planning his attack, the rest of the herd started to approach. Rather than allow myself to surrounded by a stampede, I slowly started backing away. Fortunately for me, the angy mob of cattle didn't figure I was interesting enough to bother following and I was just able to escape with my life. It was an absoloutely harrowing experience for a skinny little city kid with no experience around cattle. I'll never forget it.

What from Christ that soul can sever,
Bound by everlasting bands?
None shall take thee
From the Strength of Israel's hands.

Re: Lot of Bull [Re: Flipper 56] #7732791
12/02/22 05:16 PM
12/02/22 05:16 PM
New Hampshire
N
Nessmuck Offline
trapper
Nessmuck  Offline
trapper
N

New Hampshire
I won't even go in with the Rams

Especially during breeding...they (375 lbs ) will head butt you into next week...nevah mind what your dealing with...

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
Re: Lot of Bull [Re: Flipper 56] #7732799
12/02/22 05:26 PM
12/02/22 05:26 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Ah...that's Funny

Cattle can easily be intimidated...carry a stick and shhhwishhh loudly ...they don't like that noise

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Lot of Bull [Re: Flipper 56] #7732803
12/02/22 05:30 PM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

330 is right- most breeding bulls have been bred to be docile for many generations, so you can bluff them. Carry a big stick (an ax handle works great) and do NOT walk quietly. I act like I am the biggest and badest thing they have ever seen, and they believe it (99 % of the time LOL).

[Linked Image]

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Lot of Bull [Re: Kart29] #7732805
Wabash, IN USA
Flipper 56 Offline OP
trapper
Flipper 56  Offline OP
trapper

Wabash, IN USA
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Flipper, back in my early days with the telephone company I had a trouble on this farm. Well their phone lines fed from a pole run about .25 miles from their house through a pasture. I was told to not go in the pasture because of the bull and I’d have to walk about .75 miles around to get to the pole. Couldn’t drive a truck anywhere even remotely close so I grabbed my climbers and off I went.
That bull saw me from across the pasture walking the edge and charged but would stop just shy of the fence. No biggie, I was good.
I made it to the pole and ran into some “complications” I improvised and in the process got the taste knocked out of me from induction while up the pole. A 15 minute job had me hanging off that pole for almost an hour. If safety had come up on me I’m sure I would’ve been fired on the spot.
Once I finally climbed down I was beat. I was dripping sweat (97 that day with about 70% humidity) I decided screw that bull I wasn’t walking .75 miles around, I was going to take that .25 miles straight to my truck. I crossed the fence and here came the bull. It wasn’t a deer in the headlights look I gave the bull, it was I’ve had ENOUGH of the day look. He came like he was going to plow me under and I don’t know what he sensed, but he stopped well short of me and pawed the ground, blew out snot with a bellow, and turned around and went back to whatever he was doing before.
I honestly don’t know if he sensed I wasn’t in the mood or the fact I shows absolutely no emotion one way or the other. But that farmer saw me and the bull and was already dialing 911 until he saw the bull stop and turn around. He said when 911 answered he told them never mind and that he had just witnessed a miracle, lol. All I cared about was his phone was working and that was my last job for the day.

I know exactly what you are talking about with AC induction after you remove the DC from line wire or C wire. I was an I&R phone guy myself. I started in May of 75 and retired after 34 years. I have seen them where you could draw an arc with the end of a drop on a pedestal lid.

Originally Posted by Kart29
I'm scared of all cattle - bulls or even just FMC's (that's a McManus reference for those of you that don't know).

I was with a landowner scouting some trapping ground one time and he was busy moving cattle from one pasture to another. He had a BIG black angus bull that was trying to go a different direction than the farmer wanted. So, the farmer stood in front of the bull, put both hands on his face and shoved the bull's nose over in the direction he wanted the bull to go. The bull complied. I don't think I could ever get up the nerve to do that.

One time when I was just a kid I was hunting squirrels in a friend's cow pasture. Some steer or cow walked right up to me one time and stood about 5' away from me. For protection, I was trying to keep a four-inch tree between us. I was sure I was staring imminent death in the face and serious considered blasting the brute the in face with my .410 and a load of 7.5 shot. After an eternity of ten minutes of the beast looking at me and planning his attack, the rest of the herd started to approach. Rather than allow myself to surrounded by a stampede, I slowly started backing away. Fortunately for me, the angy mob of cattle didn't figure I was interesting enough to bother following and I was just able to escape with my life. It was an absoloutely harrowing experience for a skinny little city kid with no experience around cattle. I'll never forget it.

I have been around them enough to know they are big and stupid and very strong and heavy and can be really goofy. I wasn't sure my Jedi mind tricks would work on him. I guess he was really tame and I thought my neighbor liked me enough not to set me up. But for tame, he looked mean.

"Where Can A Man Find Bear Beaver And Other Critters Worth Cash Money When Skinned?"

Re: Lot of Bull [Re: Nessmuck] #7732808
12/02/22 05:39 PM
12/02/22 05:39 PM
Wabash, IN USA
Flipper 56 Offline OP
trapper
Flipper 56  Offline OP
trapper

Wabash, IN USA
Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
Ah...that's Funny

Cattle can easily be intimidated...carry a stick and shhhwishhh loudly ...they don't like that noise

Originally Posted by Leftlane
330 is right- most breeding bulls have been bred to be docile for many generations, so you can bluff them. Carry a big stick (an ax handle works great) and do NOT walk quietly. I act like I am the biggest and badest thing they have ever seen, and they believe it (99 % of the time LOL).

[Linked Image]

No stick, bat, club, gun, grenade...... nothing. I did not even know where they were until I dropped into their lair. I am pretty sure I didn't look intimidating to him.

Originally Posted by Nessmuck
I won't even go in with the Rams

Especially during breeding...they (375 lbs ) will head butt you into next week...nevah mind what your dealing with...

I will take a picture of him for you tomorrow so you can see how I cheat death!! grin

Re: Lot of Bull [Re: Flipper 56] #7732814
12/02/22 05:46 PM
12/02/22 05:46 PM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
Had a black and tan coon hound back in the 80's that was scared to death of all cows. When she seen one she would sit and tremble and I'd have to carry her out of the pasture. The cows never bothered her so maybe that's a solid strategy the next time your in with the bulls. grin

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: Lot of Bull [Re: 330-Trapper] #7732868
12/02/22 07:01 PM
12/02/22 07:01 PM
Missouri, USA
Pofarmer10 Offline
trapper
Pofarmer10  Offline
trapper

Missouri, USA
Ah...that's Funny

Stare them in the eye too!

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti
Re: Lot of Bull [Re: Pofarmer10] #7732874
12/02/22 07:08 PM
12/02/22 07:08 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by Pofarmer10
Ah...that's Funny

Stare them in the eye too!

Bite then on the ear like a dog. Lol

I was going to move a trough with a city joy cousin of mine on our great uncle farm. My uncle wa in his 80s and let thing go. He had to many bulls. There was a large one acting dominant between the trough and us. I grabbed the nerist thing I saw that looked like a good club. Turnd out my club was a mostly rotten board and useless. Figured I would buffalo that bull. So I swung my rotten board as I walked directly at him. The closer I got the lower his head went then he started Pawing the ground. I decided I could mone the trough later when his head started shaking side to side lowered while pawing. Turns out I was then one buffaloed. Figured the family wouldn't like finding me standing in front of a dead bull or dead under the bull I was not fast enough and my aim was off.

Last edited by Providence Farm; 12/02/22 07:16 PM.
Re: Lot of Bull [Re: Flipper 56] #7732893
12/02/22 07:29 PM
12/02/22 07:29 PM
Arkansas
W
WhiteCliffs Offline
trapper
WhiteCliffs  Offline
trapper
W

Arkansas
My next door neighbor keeps a couple of huge brahma bulls in a pasture across the fence. One of them will literally lick the hide off you if you let him

Re: Lot of Bull [Re: Flipper 56] #7733489
12/03/22 11:45 AM
12/03/22 11:45 AM
Wabash, IN USA
Flipper 56 Offline OP
trapper
Flipper 56  Offline OP
trapper

Wabash, IN USA
Here are my giant tame new friends.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Lot of Bull [Re: Flipper 56] #7733498
12/03/22 11:55 AM
12/03/22 11:55 AM
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

They want you to scratch behind their ears

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Lot of Bull [Re: Flipper 56] #7733513
12/03/22 12:17 PM
12/03/22 12:17 PM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Offline
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
Far as I’m concerned, the worst bulls to mess with are Holsteins. Big bony, ornery suckers, that can’t be trusted! I was fishing a pond in a pasture that the farmer told me to watch out for the bull. I had never been around a holstein bull, just the cows. He came over to see what was up, and proceeded to run me around the truck about three times, then bawled and acted a fool, staring in the window. I started the truck and he chased me around the pasture until he wore down, and I went back to the pond and got my stuff. Last time I tried that!

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Re: Lot of Bull [Re: Flipper 56] #7733518
12/03/22 12:22 PM
12/03/22 12:22 PM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Offline
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
Have a neighbor here that got in a trailer with a bull. He is the same age as I am, and doesn’t walk very well now. Happened about two years ago, and he spent 8 months in the hospital, broke him up awful bad. I ask him if he had a death wish that day, he said he had done the exact same thing many times before. I told him, the bull was waiting for the right moment! lol

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Re: Lot of Bull [Re: Catch22] #7733535
12/03/22 12:54 PM
12/03/22 12:54 PM
Southern Illinois
F
Foxpaw Offline
trapper
Foxpaw  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Illinois
Originally Posted by Catch22
Had a black and tan coon hound back in the 80's that was scared to death of all cows. When she seen one she would sit and tremble and I'd have to carry her out of the pasture. The cows never bothered her so maybe that's a solid strategy the next time your in with the bulls. grin

When I was about 16 I had a pit bull terrier mix that was the best tree dog I ever had. He was a silent runner until he hit the tree. We went down in the bottoms from my house one night and when we got there it was as foggy as all get out. I decided it was a long walk for nothin as I couldn't see up any tree higher than my head. Just then here comes Old Ring and a herd of cows behind him. I headed for where I thought the nearest fence was and when I found it I dived under it, scared speechless. And right there was Old Ring beside me. I never seen the cows but that noise is still in my brain.
The only time that old dog would come to me was when he got skunked and as I found out that night when the cows was after him! If I wanted to go hunting in my '63 Rambler I would let the old dog in the house and catch him at the refrigerator door. Of course he always walked home, so I didn't go more than 2 or 3 miles away.

Re: Lot of Bull [Re: lee steinmeyer] #7733551
12/03/22 01:23 PM
12/03/22 01:23 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer
Far as I’m concerned, the worst bulls to mess with are Holsteins. Big bony, ornery suckers, that can’t be trusted! I was fishing a pond in a pasture that the farmer told me to watch out for the bull. I had never been around a holstein bull, just the cows. He came over to see what was up, and proceeded to run me around the truck about three times, then bawled and acted a fool, staring in the window. I started the truck and he chased me around the pasture until he wore down, and I went back to the pond and got my stuff. Last time I tried that!

They'll kill you ....Holstein bulls will

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Lot of Bull [Re: 330-Trapper] #7734037
12/04/22 01:11 AM
12/04/22 01:11 AM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer

They'll kill you ....Holstein bulls will

Took out a neighbor about 3 years ago. The farmer had been in the pen with the bull many times previously. The UPS man found him later that day, or at least what was left of him.

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread