Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Always testing #7752044
12/23/22 01:19 PM
12/23/22 01:19 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline OP
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline OP
Y

Marion Kansas
So with this sub zero weather we are experiencing I decided to take advantage of the Temps for a little testing. I'm a proponent of not using anything that doesn't add attraction or an advantage to a formulation. That is including antifreeze as it acts as a diluent to the odor even if slight but without some serious testing how much it impacts a formulation is only speculation. I have done some serious testing with glycerin and can say with great confidence it does have a negative impact on the attraction of a formulation. How much it impacts the attraction is very hard to ascertain but will concede it probably very marginal as a lot of coyotes have caught with formulations with glycerin being used. But I do know without any antifreeze the work ability of a lot of formulations is lower than most believe. Most preservatives are sodium base which helps lower the freeze point and oils used also help. One also must remember most tinturing agents also help in colder tempts. So any way I left my 2 baits and 4 lures out last night in subzero Temps (-2 to -7) and thought I'd share my findings. Might interest some, some won't care. Take it for what it's worth.
One bait froze solid
One bait was pretty ridged but slightly workable
One paste lure was pretty thick like puddy but pretty workable
2 lures still very pasty and very workable
1 liquid lure thicker but still very squirtable
Zero glycerin or any other antifreeze add to any.
Ill put them in unheated garage to thaw out today then will put them in tote tonight outside that will provide a little protection from the elements to see it that keeps them all be workable.

Re: Always testing [Re: Yes sir] #7752059
12/23/22 01:43 PM
12/23/22 01:43 PM
Nebraska
silkyplainscoyot Offline
trapper
silkyplainscoyot  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
My understanding (I could very well be wrong) is that glycerin isn't really a antifreeze but used more as a binder for ingredients.

Re: Always testing [Re: Yes sir] #7752072
12/23/22 01:54 PM
12/23/22 01:54 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline OP
Yes sir  Offline OP
Y

Marion Kansas
https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/7673020/Searchpage/1/Main/551137/Words/%2BHow+%2Bmuch+%2Bglycerin+%2Bto+%2Buse/Search/true/re-how-cold-does-glycerin-work#Post7673020

Re: Always testing [Re: Yes sir] #7752074
12/23/22 01:55 PM
12/23/22 01:55 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline OP
Yes sir  Offline OP
Y

Marion Kansas
[url=http://https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/7673020/Searchpage/1/Main/551137/Words/%2BHow+%2Bmuch+%2Bglycerin+%2Bto+%2Buse/Search/true/re-how-cold-does-glycerin-work#Post7673020][/url]

Re: Always testing [Re: Yes sir] #7752172
12/23/22 03:09 PM
12/23/22 03:09 PM
Nebraska
silkyplainscoyot Offline
trapper
silkyplainscoyot  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Yeah, I read through it. Different thoughts on it from lure makers. Some use it for other reasons but don't rely on it solely for antifreeze purposes but admit it helps to some degree.

Re: Always testing [Re: Yes sir] #7752548
12/23/22 08:30 PM
12/23/22 08:30 PM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
Would you be willing to say what ingredients that worked as antifreeze are in which lure/baits? Don't need your exact recipe, just the ingredients that help it from freezing, or in the case of those that froze, what you thought might help and didn't.

was -20 here a day ago, I really should have checked my baits with glycerin in them that were setting outside, but didn't even think about it. I know I had to thaw my urine out on the defroster on the way to the line and then carried it inside my coat pocket while on the snowmachine, but wasn't using any bait so it was sitting in the back of the truck. I do know that I had a bucket of dog crap and it was froze so hard I needed an ax to get any out. wink I had some wolf pudding (wolf crap, urine and glycerin) and it was pretty dang stiff but you could still dig some out with a stick.

Re: Always testing [Re: Yes sir] #7752563
12/23/22 08:37 PM
12/23/22 08:37 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline OP
Yes sir  Offline OP
Y

Marion Kansas
I know the two lures the two paste lures had a fair amount of DP in them as a mild tincture/ fixative in them. The liquid lure base was a rendered oil

Re: Always testing [Re: Yes sir] #7752995
12/24/22 10:35 AM
12/24/22 10:35 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
It has been some time since I have temperature tested any of our lures and baits. It never was a problem with the very cold temperatures and the product not being applicable in years past. That work work was done many years ago.

Interestingly, Seth " Yes Sir " brings up some good points on the cold impacts the products that we use.

I put out a sampling of most all of our products last evening. Lures, baits and urines. I knew it was cold and more cold forcasted for the next few days. Below zero and them some.

My results are as follows >

The urines froze solid and crystalized. Red Fox, Coyote, Bobcat and Grey Fox urines were all frozen. These were all in 16 oz. plastic squirt bottles taken off the retail sales shelf.

These urines would all need some antifreeze to keep them fluid enough to use in the kind of temps we had here the last few days.

That or keep them in your vehicle between stops, in a jacket pocket etc. to keep them in a warmer environment. Just keep the cap on tight. smile

They all had good odor even in the frozen state.

It was -5 here over night with 30-40 miles an hour straight wind chill added to that cold. It's around 2 degrees currently at 7:30 am.

These are extreme good temps to give a good testing of the freezing properties of a product or element.

Our cat, beaver and egg baits all got tightened up, but easily workable with a butter knife for application use.

I also briefly odor tested each product for scent odor vapor and they all smelled the same to me.

Don't think for a minute that this kind of cold holds that odor from releasing. The extreme cold may reduce some of the odor push but definitely will not stop it.

Now if a product is frozen solid the odor release will be greatly reduced but not diminished.

Just my 2 cents from my experience here.

Re: Always testing [Re: Yes sir] #7753021
12/24/22 10:54 AM
12/24/22 10:54 AM
SD
Boone Liane Offline
trapper
Boone Liane  Offline
trapper

SD
I freezer test everything!

It’s no good to me if I can’t get it out of the jar.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91