Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: My Venison Bait Recipe [Re: Slipknot] #7756145
12/27/22 10:08 PM
12/27/22 10:08 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by Slipknot
Originally Posted by Yes sir
A really good lure or bait will improve the odds of them over coming their skittishness and to work the set.

Any recommendations on a really good lure or bait?

I'm kind of partial to my own brews. smile

Re: My Venison Bait Recipe [Re: DT63] #7760571
01/02/23 03:16 AM
01/02/23 03:16 AM
Mesa,Washington.
M
Mark McCary Online content
trapper
Mark McCary  Online Content
trapper
M

Mesa,Washington.
Originally Posted by DT63
Originally Posted by Yes sir
I won't argue with u but will say this I've seen 1000s of coyotes reactions to baits and lures, hundreds on videos, tested 100s of formulations, send formulations all across the country to be tried by serious coyote guys and picked the brains of guys that catch coyotes by the hundreds about lures and baits. I feel confident in what I speak about. I can promise you there's a difference in the quality of lures and baits. I can promise you in my area I trap you will get enough misses and refusals that it will become clear. We don't get a lot of snow but when we do it will humble you. Good and happy are relative terms based of of one's experience and opion. I by no means know everything and there's guys that know more than me but I'll stand pretty firm on what the coyotes tell me and will be happy to share it with others.

Not sure we disagree, certainly wasnt arguing?

IME, order of importance 1) location, 2) Quality urine 3) eye appeal, 4) Lure & finally 5) bait. If a coyote refuses a set, I don't think the majority of time it is because of the bait - it is far more likely due to that yote being skittish by nature, has experience with trapping or there was just too much human scent around. Matter of fact, I personally believe the majority of refusals are due to poor urine and lure far more than from a natural bait.

The majority of "wise"/older coyotes I've caught have been with flat sets with no bait..... many of them with nothing more than fresh urine and a coyote anus tacked to a piece of wood.

DT63, For my style of coyote trapping I would rate it this way #1 Location.
#2 Baits, I prefer to have several baits with different bases to work with.
#3 Gland Lure/Lure, I like bobcat, fox & coyote gland lure.
#4 Urine.
#5 Eye Appeal.
Just my 2 cent's.

Re: My Venison Bait Recipe [Re: DT63] #7760756
01/02/23 10:48 AM
01/02/23 10:48 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
An experienced seasoned trapper can make almost any lure or bait look good.

That is truly the " Magic in the Bottle" answer.

Re: My Venison Bait Recipe [Re: Bob Jameson] #7760861
01/02/23 02:13 PM
01/02/23 02:13 PM
Mesa,Washington.
M
Mark McCary Online content
trapper
Mark McCary  Online Content
trapper
M

Mesa,Washington.
Amen Bob!

Re: My Venison Bait Recipe [Re: DT63] #7764578
01/06/23 07:23 PM
01/06/23 07:23 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Some years ago I was trapping with a guy Bob Jameson knows. He had gone to WY to trap cats the first year PA had a cat season. It was not open to nonresidents so WY would not let Curt trap cats. He called me pretty upset so I told him to come stay at my house awhile. We trapped about 3 weeks I guess. I pointed out a spot one day I had caught cats at before and told him to make a set. He picked another spot about ten yards away. I went to setting on my old spot. Got done and remembered I needed bait. I had my pee bottle in my bag but had not refilled my bait jar. I hollered at Curt and told him to toss me some bait. He tossed a pint jar of something labeled Bear bait and giggled. I dont remember who made it. But anyway I had a nice cat next morning and Curts set never did hit. I could smell anise in the bear bait.

I never been a big fan of anise but some coons like it. Was making a set by the interstate. One of those big square double culverts you can almost stand up in. Lots of mud and coon tracks. I wired a #11 longspring to whatever kind of bush was growing there. Stuck half a scavenged corn cob down in the mud close to the bush and mashed that #11 in the mud in front of it. Put a drop of grocery store anise on the cob. That set caught a cat I had no idea was anywhere around. So some cats like anise I guess. The cat I caught on that bear bait musta wanted a closer look too is all I can figure. I woulda never caught either if the trap had not been where they wanted to go anyway.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: My Venison Bait Recipe [Re: Bob Jameson] #7826060
03/21/23 09:27 AM
03/21/23 09:27 AM
10714 Apple road Carthage,Mo6...
C
Cletis Richards Offline
trapper
Cletis Richards  Offline
trapper
C

10714 Apple road Carthage,Mo6...
Originally Posted by Bob Jameson
An experienced seasoned trapper can make almost any lure or bait look good.

That is truly the " Magic in the Bottle" answer.

I agree Bob, have made that statement many times

Appleroad Predator Bait

www.appleroadlures.com

Like us on Facebook

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91