No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Coyote Trappers, Help Please #7793833
02/08/23 11:52 AM
02/08/23 11:52 AM
Missouri
B
BeardedMOMan Offline OP
trapper
BeardedMOMan  Offline OP
trapper
B

Missouri
Alright, I'm at my wits end and need some help/tips/advice from successful and veteran coyote trappers. It's repetitive, but first year trapper here who uses this site as means of learning trapping techniques and have been super successful in my first year, thanks to this site. 20+ coons, 20+ possums, 1 bobcat, and 5 beaver. Every single harvest is a testimony to the advice and direction of this site. So thank you all again. Here's the dilemma. I have a coyote that keeps getting one over on me. The good news is I have a trail cam over the sets and this coyote is leaving me opportunities to catch it. On Sunday it dug around my trap, which was due to weak bedding. I'll admit that one. I owned it and made sure on the reset to bed solidly and to throw the coyote off, I moved my trap more offset to the left and put a small stone where it originally was to try and fool it. Also put another set within 10 yards of the original.

Well last night it came back, but once again evaded both sets and got the goods from my dirt holes. mad In my original set his feet have to be right where the pan is but for some reason, he evaded. The only thing I can think of until I go check the line later is that we had a light rain Monday night and I'm curious if a light rain will pack the dirt and create issues with the trap firing? I didn't see any pics of the coyote digging but I'm at a loss of how it managed to work both sets without setting off either trap. Both traps are Duke coil springs #2's. I've read on this site that coyotes don't like guiding so I try to minimize that but at this point, I'm not sure what to do or if two traps per set is an option. I really want to nab this sucker with one trap though as this learning experience will only help me be more successful in the future seasons so Id rather not resort to two traps, but if that's what needs done, then so be it. The black "X" on the pics is about the proximity of where my traps are. Any help/teaching/recommendations is super appreciated. Thanks again and God bless.

Coyote 2.7.0.PNGCoyote 2.7.1.PNGCoyote Set Two 2.7.0.PNGCoyote Set Two 2.7.1.PNGCoyote Set Two 2.7.2.PNG
Re: Coyote Trappers, Help Please [Re: BeardedMOMan] #7793837
02/08/23 12:00 PM
02/08/23 12:00 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
Looks mounded up with leaves and small sticks where u say your traps is. Coyote doesn't have a clue. Move the trap to where the feet are when he's working the bait hole. Bed firmly and level or slightly lower over trap and cover with pebble- free dirt. Re-bait with that same bait.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Coyote Trappers, Help Please [Re: BeardedMOMan] #7793838
02/08/23 12:01 PM
02/08/23 12:01 PM
Northern Nevada
B
Bob Offline
trapper
Bob  Offline
trapper
B

Northern Nevada
Well first off if I had a dollar for every coyote that ever worked my set and didn’t get caught I could buy a few dozen really nice traps lol. So you’re not alone.

The rain packing dirt around the trap will not keep it from firing unless it freezes. It will however create an outline of the trap or even expose parts of the trap and that is problematic.

Study where the coyotes stepped when they worked the set, and use that to guide you on trap placement on future sets.

Last, you can use some guiding for coyotes. A couple pencil sized sticks and quarter sized dirt clods in the right spots will do wonders for your catch rate.

You got coyotes working sets, that’s half the battle.

"I have two guns, one for each of ya."
Re: Coyote Trappers, Help Please [Re: BeardedMOMan] #7793839
02/08/23 12:04 PM
02/08/23 12:04 PM
PA
W
w side rd 151 Offline
trapper
w side rd 151  Offline
trapper
W

PA
Keep after him Sometimes the critter just gets luckly and does not step on the pan Try a different brand or type of lure Or place it at a different angle in relation . to the trap .If it keeps working your set it most likely has not ben spooked by it .

Re: Coyote Trappers, Help Please [Re: BeardedMOMan] #7793843
02/08/23 12:09 PM
02/08/23 12:09 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Online content
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Online Content
Y

Marion Kansas
I'm always wondering how everyone can tell its the same coyote by trail cam pics? Wish you guys could give me some pointers. Unless the have some unique physical features I can't normal tell them apart.

I'd first start with deeper holes, coyotes will surprise u how easily the can get the goodies out of the hole. If your not getting a lot of rain I really likea step down dirt hole for positioning there foot in the trap. 8 inches deep at least at back wall with hole at the very bottom as horizontal as u can get it. Trap back about 8 inches 4 inches deeper than surrounding area and all the extra dirt piled up just past trap. [Linked Image]

Re: Coyote Trappers, Help Please [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7793844
02/08/23 12:10 PM
02/08/23 12:10 PM
Missouri
B
BeardedMOMan Offline OP
trapper
BeardedMOMan  Offline OP
trapper
B

Missouri
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Looks mounded up with leaves and small sticks where u say your traps is. Coyote doesn't have a clue. Move the trap to where the feet are when he's working the bait hole. Bed firmly and level or slightly lower over trap and cover with pebble- free dirt. Re-bait with that same bait.

My apologies. The trap isn't exactly where the black X is, it's remotely that distance from the hole but on the other side of the mound about where the coyotes feet are. The mound is dirt from the hole that is being used as a guide. There is one on the other side as well.

Re: Coyote Trappers, Help Please [Re: Yes sir] #7793849
02/08/23 12:19 PM
02/08/23 12:19 PM
Missouri
B
BeardedMOMan Offline OP
trapper
BeardedMOMan  Offline OP
trapper
B

Missouri
Originally Posted by Yes sir
I'm always wondering how everyone can tell its the same coyote by trail cam pics? Wish you guys could give me some pointers. Unless the have some unique physical features I can't normal tell them apart.

I'd first start with deeper holes, coyotes will surprise u how easily the can get the goodies out of the hole. If your not getting a lot of rain I really likea step down dirt hole for positioning there foot in the trap. 8 inches deep at least at back wall with hole at the very bottom as horizontal as u can get it. Trap back about 8 inches 4 inches deeper than surrounding area and all the extra dirt piled up just past trap. [Linked Image]

Thank you. I will give this a try and the only thing that makes me believe it's the same coyote is because it came back around the same time and from the same direction. I could be wrong and likely am, but the way it worked the set and came into the set was exactly how it did previously so that made me think it was the same coyote. I appreciate the help and will reconstruct my set to something similar to your pic.

Re: Coyote Trappers, Help Please [Re: Yes sir] #7793858
02/08/23 12:40 PM
02/08/23 12:40 PM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
Originally Posted by Bob
Well first off if I had a dollar for every coyote that ever worked my set and didn’t get caught I could buy a few dozen really nice traps lol. So you’re not alone.

The rain packing dirt around the trap will not keep it from firing unless it freezes. It will however create an outline of the trap or even expose parts of the trap and that is problematic.

Study where the coyotes stepped when they worked the set, and use that to guide you on trap placement on future sets.

Last, you can use some guiding for coyotes. A couple pencil sized sticks and quarter sized dirt clods in the right spots will do wonders for your catch rate.

You got coyotes working sets, that’s half the battle.

I agree on suttle guiding for coyotes and use dirt clods vs small stones or you might end up catching the stone and missing the coyote.

I have had very good luck with this set even if it does have some drawbacks (flooding). Like Yes Sir states use a deeper hole and drill or dig it horizontal as possible. This will make him work the set and help guide the coyote to the trap. It'll happen, just be patient.

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Re: Coyote Trappers, Help Please [Re: BeardedMOMan] #7793865
02/08/23 12:52 PM
02/08/23 12:52 PM
meadowview, Virginia
E
EdP Offline
trapper
EdP  Offline
trapper
E

meadowview, Virginia
I've caught difficult coyotes by doing the following: Make a flat set using a downed branch 3 or 4" in dia. Make your hole (mouse hole) about 1" in diameter - just stick in a trap stake and work it around and down about 6" going in below the branch. Do it on both sides. Only bait one side and don't put a trap on that side. No bait on the other side but bed a trap there. Blend in so they look the same.

The hope is the coyote will check the baited hole first, maybe checking for a trap but not finding one, and then get careless when checking the unbaited hole. It's just one more trick to try in addition to the advice others have given.

Re: Coyote Trappers, Help Please [Re: EdP] #7793871
02/08/23 12:58 PM
02/08/23 12:58 PM
Missouri
B
BeardedMOMan Offline OP
trapper
BeardedMOMan  Offline OP
trapper
B

Missouri
Thank you EdP for the recommendation. Something I might do is alter my second set that has the big rock for backing and put a mouse hole on the other side with bait in it and then leave the original hole unbaited with the trap in front of that.

Re: Coyote Trappers, Help Please [Re: BeardedMOMan] #7793875
02/08/23 01:10 PM
02/08/23 01:10 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Online content
Yes sir  Online Content
Y

Marion Kansas
I also use a double dirt hole set just spaced far enough apart that I can bed a trap between them. Leave dirt digging the holes out front just like a coyote would dig it. Leave rough so coyote won't step there. Bed trap about 4 inches back from line from one hole to other hole, I like it tight. Most coyotes work hole from about a 45 angle. They work first hole, feel safe and step across first hole to that flat spot between holes to check out second hole. Doesn't matter which side it comes from when they check out second they put the foot down right between them. Most guys set the trap too far out front like the coyote is working both holes straight on not from angle stepping over first hole to smell second hole. Hope this makes sense, I don't have any pics of this set. Little more weather resistant than a step down but still really good control of foot placement.

Re: Coyote Trappers, Help Please [Re: Yes sir] #7793880
02/08/23 01:26 PM
02/08/23 01:26 PM
Missouri
B
BeardedMOMan Offline OP
trapper
BeardedMOMan  Offline OP
trapper
B

Missouri
Yes sir, just visualizing the set of the double dirt hole and I believe I have the concept in my mind. It makes sense and sounds promising. Will definitely give this one a try. Thank you for explaining it clearly and now I'm chomping at the bit to try it.

Last edited by BeardedMOMan; 02/08/23 01:27 PM. Reason: misspelled
Re: Coyote Trappers, Help Please [Re: Yes sir] #7793911
02/08/23 02:37 PM
02/08/23 02:37 PM
Missouri
B
BeardedMOMan Offline OP
trapper
BeardedMOMan  Offline OP
trapper
B

Missouri
I also use a double dirt hole set just spaced far enough apart that I can bed a trap between them. Leave dirt digging the holes out front just like a coyote would dig it. Leave rough so coyote won't step there. Bed trap about 4 inches back from line from one hole to other hole, I like it tight. Most coyotes work hole from about a 45 angle. They work first hole, feel safe and step across first hole to that flat spot between holes to check out second hole. Doesn't matter which side it comes from when they check out second they put the foot down right between them. Most guys set the trap too far out front like the coyote is working both holes straight on not from angle stepping over first hole to smell second hole. Hope this makes sense, I don't have any pics of this set. Little more weather resistant than a step down but still really good control of foot placement.

I'm a visual learner and so I threw together a quick visual and wanted to make sure I was looking at it correctly. Is this correct and how it should look? Thanks again for the help. [Linked Image]

Re: Coyote Trappers, Help Please [Re: BeardedMOMan] #7793913
02/08/23 02:46 PM
02/08/23 02:46 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Read Steeltraps post on the Trapping Only forum. Pay attention when you read it. Follow examples. Read it again and make sure you didn’t miss anything. Make sets, catch coyotes. I’ve only been trapping 6 years now, but that thread clicked something in my brain and my catches this year are way above last year and I’m just getting started. Not only me, but I’ve told everything I’ve learned to my son and he’s making me look bad. If we find sign, we catch. Not bragging, just still learning.

3 basic rules I’ve learned…
Set on sign
Bed solid
Leave’em be

Be generous with bait, and stingy as heck with lure and urine.

With that coyote I’d make an obvious dirt hole, guess they call them trench sets and a flat set. He may not hit that dirt hole, but he’ll hit that flat set. Your dirt hole definitely has his attention, but either your trap is malfunctioning or it’s not where you think it is. Unless your hole isn’t deep, he didn’t get all the bait. I’d go just close enough to see if the trap is sprung and walk away if you’re 100% confident your trap is functioning. Not every time a coyote walks up will it get caught. My son just made a catch yesterday on a set that’s been sitting for 2 weeks. All he does is drive by and look.

Last edited by Wanna Be; 02/08/23 03:06 PM.
Re: Coyote Trappers, Help Please [Re: Wanna Be] #7793920
02/08/23 02:54 PM
02/08/23 02:54 PM
Missouri
B
BeardedMOMan Offline OP
trapper
BeardedMOMan  Offline OP
trapper
B

Missouri
I originally set there because I had multiple bobcats using this spot as a travel corridor and was targeting them. After catching a bobcat I've had coyotes start showing up. There is an abundance of rabbits, mice, and other bait roaming this area so it felt like a good spot to target cats. This coyote is a bonus I guess.

Re: Coyote Trappers, Help Please [Re: BeardedMOMan] #7793922
02/08/23 02:56 PM
02/08/23 02:56 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Online content
Yes sir  Online Content
Y

Marion Kansas
[Linked Image]
Made one in the yard for u. Left pan exposed. Hard to see in pic but loose dirt is mounded up about 4 inches high. Unlike step down dirt hole this double dirt hole needs some backing.

Last edited by Yes sir; 02/08/23 02:56 PM.
Re: Coyote Trappers, Help Please [Re: Yes sir] #7793925
02/08/23 03:01 PM
02/08/23 03:01 PM
Missouri
B
BeardedMOMan Offline OP
trapper
BeardedMOMan  Offline OP
trapper
B

Missouri
Gotcha. Thank you for making a set Yes sir for visualization and this is super helpful. I'll let you know how it works. Hopefully will have a coyote pic for you.

Re: Coyote Trappers, Help Please [Re: Yes sir] #7793931
02/08/23 03:10 PM
02/08/23 03:10 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
[Linked Image]
Made one in the yard for u. Left pan exposed. Hard to see in pic but loose dirt is mounded up about 4 inches high. Unlike step down dirt hole this double dirt hole needs some backing.

Nice set.
I’ll do that on single dirt holes as well. Learned it after getting pics of coyotes stepping there instead of on my pan in front of the dirt hole. The only time it’s in front is that obvious dirt hole.

Re: Coyote Trappers, Help Please [Re: BeardedMOMan] #7793932
02/08/23 03:12 PM
02/08/23 03:12 PM
alabama
steeltraps Offline
trapper
steeltraps  Offline
trapper

alabama
Yes Sir. Dude that looks like a huge dirt hole! Did you use a BT 45 auger ?

Re: Coyote Trappers, Help Please [Re: BeardedMOMan] #7793936
02/08/23 03:15 PM
02/08/23 03:15 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Online content
Yes sir  Online Content
Y

Marion Kansas
Not as big as it looks. 1 1/2 auger. Made it in garden where ground was soft so it was quick. Trench is only about 3" wide.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread