Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Musk Ketone #7830123
03/26/23 02:58 PM
03/26/23 02:58 PM
West Central MN
20scout Offline OP
trapper
20scout  Offline OP
trapper

West Central MN
I picked up a bottle of Musk Ketone yesterday from an elderly trapper friend but not sure just what it's used for. A little research on line says that it's suppose to help stabilize volatility and enhance odors? Can anyone give me any insight as to how I can use it?

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Re: Musk Ketone [Re: 20scout] #7830988
03/27/23 03:32 PM
03/27/23 03:32 PM
Wyoming
E
E.J. Kelley Offline
trapper
E.J. Kelley  Offline
trapper
E

Wyoming
Subtle back ground ingredient. Any where musk is called for or that you want to use it, should work ok. Start lightly and add accordingly to when you can just start to pick it up in the back ground. Recommended for canines.

Re: Musk Ketone [Re: E.J. Kelley] #7831655
03/28/23 10:26 AM
03/28/23 10:26 AM
Siberia 🐁
T
Tatiana Online content
"Mushroom Guru"
Tatiana  Online Content
"Mushroom Guru"
T

Siberia 🐁
Originally Posted by E.J. Kelley
Start lightly and add accordingly to when you can just start to pick it up in the back ground.

It' is probably not that subtle to canines, so it might be a good idea not to rely just on your nose when using it.

I can barely smell musk ketone, and to me, it has a weak powdery, floral smell (and I couldn't smell it at all after covid), but I can smell most other musks well. I've read that 30% of people are anosmic to musk ketone, and among the few people people whom I asked to smell it (as crystals and as 10% ethanol solution) most couldn't smell it at all, but one friend said that it had a very strong sweetish, musky smell that persisted on her skin for a couple of days where she put a tiny dab, even after showering and scrubbing.

Re: Musk Ketone [Re: 20scout] #7831673
03/28/23 10:50 AM
03/28/23 10:50 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Online content
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Online Content
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Tatiana
Very good points. I have some musk ketone crystals and tincture but haven't played with it in formulations yet. I can smell it but it is very faint compared to some of the other synthetics, a friend of mine can't smell it at all. Everyone's sense of smell is a bit different and a K9s sense of smell is completely different than ours. My limited experience with the synthetics is very small amounts can improve a formulations attraction but there's a fine line as too much can have the opposite effect pretty quickly. I've always wondered if some of the formulations on the market rely heavily on these synthetics and that's why some work better in very small quantities at the set and too much causes them too stay at a distance. My experience is a lot of the natural top shelf ingredients you can use a lot of and it only increases the attraction unless the coyotes have been exposed to it too much and see it as a cation. Just my 2 cents. Always let the animals be the advisor and judge.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91