Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
280 trigger configuration at sets #7837876
04/04/23 11:28 AM
04/04/23 11:28 AM
SE Kentucky
K
kytrapper Offline OP
trapper
kytrapper  Offline OP
trapper
K

SE Kentucky
I’ve always put triggers at bottom on both 330 and 280 beaver sets. I catch a lot more by the front feet in 280’s. I don’t think it’s always from attempting to climb over them. Since the 280 is a tight beaver fit I’m thinking of triggers spread in a wide T at top hoping to get more of a duck under than crawl through. Does anyone use this configuration on square 280’s with success? What about raising them a couple inches with some sort of stabilizer?

Re: 280 trigger configuration at sets [Re: kytrapper] #7838651
04/05/23 07:23 AM
04/05/23 07:23 AM
South Louisiana
T
Trappeur Gunny Offline
trapper
Trappeur Gunny  Offline
trapper
T

South Louisiana
A wide T and moving the trap up a couple of inches might do the trick. Something you might want to consider is camouflaging the trigger. All of my bodygrip traps get dipped in rusty metal primer/acetone mixture. Once dried I do a couple of random stripes with three different camo colours of spray paint, making sure that my trigger gets at least one color on it. I have found this increased my catch ratio drastically. It breaks up the outline of the trap and trigger, thus they are more likely to fully commit to the trap.

Also, I am going more with the trigger on the bottom and it looks more natural. Love them 280s!

Re: 280 trigger configuration at sets [Re: kytrapper] #7840594
04/07/23 11:09 AM
04/07/23 11:09 AM
SE Kentucky
K
kytrapper Offline OP
trapper
kytrapper  Offline OP
trapper
K

SE Kentucky
There’s a big difference in packing 280’s and 330’s. They’re about like carrying 220’s. Most places they can work where a 330 does. I have more 280’s than 330’s I believe. I used to camo paint all my bodygrips, especially the triggers. That’s a good thing to do. There are places of course 330’s, 1216’s, 660’s are better.

Re: 280 trigger configuration at sets [Re: kytrapper] #7841445
04/08/23 01:10 PM
04/08/23 01:10 PM
100 Mile House, BC Can
bctomcat Offline
trapper
bctomcat  Offline
trapper

100 Mile House, BC Can
IMO any body grip trap triggers should almost always be on the bottom, ground level jaw, with the general exception being diving water sets. I don't think animals like ducking under something any more than I do, but will push through small twigs or grass. Also, when the trigger is placed on the upper jaw hanging down the dog and trigger wires, on single jaw traps, end up on the back of the animal where the best fur is and can possibly cause serious fur damage. When set on the bottom jaws the dog and wires are always falling away from the opposed closing jaw and thus the trigger wires cannot hang up on a jaw.

The only constant in trapping is change so keep learning.

Re: 280 trigger configuration at sets [Re: kytrapper] #7844076
04/12/23 10:57 AM
04/12/23 10:57 AM
Peoria County Illinois
Larry Baer Offline
trapper
Larry Baer  Offline
trapper

Peoria County Illinois
I have a different take on this. I use the T triggers on the bottom like guys above do but I use it in shallow water. If I put the top of the T right under the surface I get a lot of head / neck catches. I also get rats pushing off the T and getting caught.
For me the T does not work as well as a circle in submerged sets. A 5'' circle centered in the trap can be set upside down, right side up or on it's side. A circle centers the beaver and other animals and I get good solid catches with quick dispatches consistently with this trigger over the T. We have a lot of ditches here and the circle works great in smaller water like this and in runs. It's more work but since we have otter here it helps a lot on them also.

Just passin through
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91