Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Castor #7813249
03/05/23 01:34 AM
03/05/23 01:34 AM
Iowa
B
Bruce Rhoads Offline OP
trapper
Bruce Rhoads  Offline OP
trapper
B

Iowa
Green ground and stopped fresh vs dried for lure and bait making

Opinions?

Re: Castor [Re: Bruce Rhoads] #7813354
03/05/23 08:53 AM
03/05/23 08:53 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Normally dried for me but I do have one predator lure I use green castor put up a special way that gives a very unique odor.

Re: Castor [Re: Bruce Rhoads] #7813380
03/05/23 09:19 AM
03/05/23 09:19 AM
Goldsboro, North Carolina
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"
Paul Dobbins  Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

Dried for my formulations.

Re: Castor [Re: Bruce Rhoads] #7813435
03/05/23 10:25 AM
03/05/23 10:25 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Some formulas you will get much better product distribution with ground, dried pulverized castor. Other formulas I like ground aged castor in a wet paste form. Especially in Beaver lure formulas.

I found years ago that "castor odor" and color will vary greatly from one batch of wet castor to another. It is very interesting, and it gives me options as to the specific castor odor I prefer for a particular batch of product. Ground, dried/pulverized castor blends together as one final product odor.

It is primarily diet that affects the castors final blended odor for the most part. Handling, age, storage or freezer time can greatly influence the final color/odor also.

So, I keep the castor from different regional areas segregated and noted for my grinding time process.

Re: Castor [Re: Bruce Rhoads] #7813632
03/05/23 04:07 PM
03/05/23 04:07 PM
Southeast Louisiana
S
Slipknot Offline
trapper
Slipknot  Offline
trapper
S

Southeast Louisiana
How long does it need to dry to be able to grind. I have one hanging but have never fooled with them.

Re: Castor [Re: Slipknot] #7813704
03/05/23 06:00 PM
03/05/23 06:00 PM
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"
Paul Dobbins  Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

Originally Posted by Slipknot
How long does it need to dry to be able to grind. I have one hanging but have never fooled with them.

That depends on how full the castor is, heat and humidity where they're drying. The castor I buy has been dried for 4 - 7 days. Once I get it, I dry most of it for another couple of months. The shells and those that don't have much in them takes less time. After I grind them, I'll spread the ground castor on flat pans and put a fan on them to let them dry more for 24 hours. Then I put the dried castor in my Ninja food processor and pulverize it. If possible, I like to age this for another 6 months in a bucket. It gets a very nice aroma then. To keep it from molding, I pour a bit of 100 proof vodka over it before snapping on the lid.

I doubt most folks go through all those steps, nor do they dry it to the extent that I do. It all depends on what the lure maker wants to do with it.

Re: Castor [Re: Bruce Rhoads] #7814032
03/06/23 08:31 AM
03/06/23 08:31 AM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
Both for me, fresh and dried. different formulations different outcomes and beaver reactions it seems in my opinion.

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Castor [Re: Bruce Rhoads] #7817840
03/10/23 08:58 PM
03/10/23 08:58 PM
Oscoda, Michigan
J
John-Chagnon Offline
trapper
John-Chagnon  Offline
trapper
J

Oscoda, Michigan
A very key ingredient that it seems you never can get enough of, as noted many ways to use and different preferences.

Re: Castor [Re: Bruce Rhoads] #7821140
03/15/23 12:29 PM
03/15/23 12:29 PM
Mesa,Washington.
M
Mark McCary Offline
trapper
Mark McCary  Offline
trapper
M

Mesa,Washington.
I hope this works? I just ground up 2 pounds of slightly dried beaver castors. It was pretty thick so I added some beaver tail oil to make it workable. I'm planning too let this age for a while? Then stop the ageing process with Zinc Valerate powder.
Question! Has anyone ever aged Beaver Castor long term? Like say Fox glands, 1 to 3 years. Like Bruce R. asked you do not hear much about aged beaver glands? Thanks!

Re: Castor [Re: Bruce Rhoads] #7821194
03/15/23 01:54 PM
03/15/23 01:54 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
When aging any single specific gland material do not add anything to it that will affect the aging process if that is your focus. Only add materials that will compliment the break down process or leave it virgin as a stand alone material. That is one part of the process.

Once you have completed all your ingredients prep you can put them all together then set it aside to age for a few months to a few years.

Learning that length of age time which serves to give the best result is a lesson learned as well.

Fats / Oils can and will retard that breakdown process and will change the odor in the end. Adding some distilled water will provide fluidity to the castor material if you feel you need moisture or are seeking a certain consistency and do not wish to compromise the final product odor result.

Any deemed excess fluid can be poured off at a later matured product date if that is your goal, and saved for another use possibly.

Learning how to age or not to age various glands, meats, fatty oil materials is an art / science in itself. Keep track of the things that you do by dating and writing down what you have done each time you do it. The temperature index when and where you are processing your material all play a big role in such things that you do.

Re: Castor [Re: Mark McCary] #7821199
03/15/23 02:02 PM
03/15/23 02:02 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by Mark McCary
I hope this works? I just ground up 2 pounds of slightly dried beaver castors. It was pretty thick so I added some beaver tail oil to make it workable. I'm planning too let this age for a while? Then stop the ageing process with Zinc Valerate powder.
Question! Has anyone ever aged Beaver Castor long term? Like say Fox glands, 1 to 3 years. Like Bruce R. asked you do not hear much about aged beaver glands? Thanks!

If it doesn't get the results you were wanting you might have wished you would have started with a smaller sample. Just food for thought. Aging can mean a couple different things in lure making. It can mean rotting (letting bacteria breaking down a product) or another way could mean letting the odors blend and mellow together. BTO wont age in the sense of bacteria break down (oils can interfere with the oxygen needed for most bacteria break down) not sure if clean straight semi dry castor will break down from bacteria either. I do have a combination of ingredients were castor is a primary ingredient that takes a year plus to age to my desired point to answer your question.
Sorry Bob I was typing while you posted

Last edited by Yes sir; 03/15/23 02:05 PM.
Re: Castor [Re: Bruce Rhoads] #7821282
03/15/23 04:29 PM
03/15/23 04:29 PM
Mesa,Washington.
M
Mark McCary Offline
trapper
Mark McCary  Offline
trapper
M

Mesa,Washington.
Thank You Bob J. and Yes Sir for the good information! It did cross my mind too use some water or even beaver urine too add moisture too the castor. Their was still liquid in the castors before they where ground up. Fortunately I only used a little BTO and the mix is producing some gasses or air bubbles, ageing. Lots to learn, every day is school!!!! I will keep a close eye on this castor project!! I am hoping too end up with a nice mellow castor smell that bobcats will rub their whisker's off trying too get the smell on them. lol.

Re: Castor [Re: Bruce Rhoads] #7821292
03/15/23 04:42 PM
03/15/23 04:42 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
You will get a first-hand lesson in Chemistry 101 with ingredients that should and should not be blended together along the way. I don't want to take all the fun and anticipation out of your experimenting.

Re: Castor [Re: Bob Jameson] #7821306
03/15/23 04:58 PM
03/15/23 04:58 PM
Mesa,Washington.
M
Mark McCary Offline
trapper
Mark McCary  Offline
trapper
M

Mesa,Washington.
Ok Bob,you are right again!!! Urine and Fat’s do not mix!! My Bad!! I forgot. Thanks for pointing that out.

Re: Castor [Re: Mark McCary] #7841589
04/08/23 05:21 PM
04/08/23 05:21 PM
Mesa,Washington.
M
Mark McCary Offline
trapper
Mark McCary  Offline
trapper
M

Mesa,Washington.

Just a quick update. I let the castor age for three weeks at 60 degree's before adding Zinc V. dissolved in a cup of hot water. Also added one cup of Glycerin.
Mixed it all up with a food processor. Almost 2 quarts of Beaver castor paste. It looks like peanut butter, but not as thick, close.
At three weeks it just smelled right to me?
What did I learn?
Next time, I will not add any Oil's at the start of any tainting materials!! I think Bob J. and Yes Sir are correct on this!
The castor paste I made is going too work just fine.
But next time, I will just add some water if needed at the start instead of Oil's. 10 more years and I will have this Lure Stuff all figured out???

Re: Castor [Re: Bruce Rhoads] #7843741
04/11/23 06:32 PM
04/11/23 06:32 PM
el vado, nm
T
Tom Fisher Offline
trapper
Tom Fisher  Offline
trapper
T

el vado, nm
I mix green castor with grease, I talked to friend who has made a lot of lure, he said to add beaver urine. I added some to my castor. Anyone ever tried this?

Re: Castor [Re: Mark McCary] #7844557
04/13/23 05:37 AM
04/13/23 05:37 AM
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

W NY

Just a quick update. I let the castor age for three weeks at 60 degree's before adding Zinc V. dissolved in a cup of hot water. Also added one cup of Glycerin.
Mixed it all up with a food processor. Almost 2 quarts of Beaver castor paste. It looks like peanut butter, but not as thick, close.
At three weeks it just smelled right to me?
What did I learn?
Next time, I will not add any Oil's at the start of any tainting materials!! I think Bob J. and Yes Sir are correct on this!
The castor paste I made is going too work just fine.
But next time, I will just add some water if needed at the start instead of Oil's. 10 more years and I will have this Lure Stuff all figured out???

It's more like a life long pursuit

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: Castor [Re: Tom Fisher] #7853709
04/26/23 01:15 PM
04/26/23 01:15 PM
NY
papabear! Offline
trapper
papabear!  Offline
trapper

NY
Originally Posted by Tom Fisher
I mix green castor with grease, I talked to friend who has made a lot of lure, he said to add beaver urine. I added some to my castor. Anyone ever tried this?

Mr Tom, I mix some beaver urine with glycerin, and use it when I grind the castor to make a heavy paste.

My hero's have always been trappers
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91