No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Forest fires and its effect? [Re: Norwestalta] #7880835
06/08/23 11:33 PM
06/08/23 11:33 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Worst country to pack out moose quarters is in a 10-15 year old burn.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Forest fires and its effect? [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7880854
06/09/23 12:06 AM
06/09/23 12:06 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Originally Posted by Northof50
Take note of Tatiana's post
your foothill trapline is a spitting image to ones she is talking of.
Marten will go aboreal during a fire into their holes in the ground.
It will take 20-30 years for the re-growth to support the rabbit population 8=10,000 stems / acre
if it was a ground fire then you are s-o-l because the microtone population can not be supported= 90 % food for marten year round

Your lakes will have massive algae blooms for 5 years and winter kill of fish after that because of all the nutrition release.

Good grief!^^^^^

I'm glad Southeastern US pine forests are fire resistant and actually are fire dependent. Only a raging wildfire in our pine forests (areas that have NOT been burned in several years) are harsh.....and even after those these pineywoods recover rather quickly.

The Gatlinburg fire was an example of what happens when our forests do not burn regularly.

[Linked Image]
Re: Forest fires and its effect? [Re: Norwestalta] #7880856
06/09/23 12:10 AM
06/09/23 12:10 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Oh and an interesting factoid.

Our native longleaf forests are long lived climax forests living four to five hundred years for the individual tree yet they would burn every two to five years.

[Linked Image]
Re: Forest fires and its effect? [Re: Norwestalta] #7880966
06/09/23 08:01 AM
06/09/23 08:01 AM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Offline
trapper
Northof50  Offline
trapper
N

Manitoba
Remember that Alberta sold off it's government Fire Fighting Services to private, lock stock and barrel and a year later had the worst season going and paid 10X the going rate for planes . choppers, man power. Manitoba sent their water bombers and came home with a 10 million dollar surplus. Surprised it did not come up much in this last election, Except the fact that they could not find any personnel to help fight. Manitoba conservatives did the same sell off of all their equipment so we are going to take it bad when the time comes,

on another note; one of our hunting partners has a chopper service and when they finished filming the movie "Chicago Rose" they flew the chopper right up and was pressed into service during a bad season we had here, they found out how good it was to get a crew and gear in with one trip, much like Tatiana UN chopper. Three weeks into he had paid the chopper of.
The use IR and cross check all the lightning strikes for two days

Re: Forest fires and its effect? [Re: Norwestalta] #7880983
06/09/23 08:38 AM
06/09/23 08:38 AM
Alberta
N
Norwestalta Offline OP
trapper
Norwestalta  Offline OP
trapper
N

Alberta
Thanks all. I've been busy as a one legged man at a (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) kicking competition. Helping neighbors wetting down their hay and straw bales. Setting up sprinklers around my farm and cabin. Then got 3 dozers mobilized from the outfit I work for. Heading out on one of those dozers today. All out air assets are stretched very thin and none available at this time.

As Tatiana has said my bush is much the same as was described. Aspen,alder,spruce, pine, willow and Tamarack. With a mix of muskeg, peat loamy soil as well as grassland type of soil. They way the smoke is going straight up I suspect is a sign of a hot fire. Rain in the forecast thankfully but before that we've got a 30 deg C day or 2. We've been fortunate that the wind is blowing the fire away from our line but that'll change.

Thanks again for your insight and experience

Re: Forest fires and its effect? [Re: Norwestalta] #7880997
06/09/23 09:17 AM
06/09/23 09:17 AM
Washington
J
Jingles Offline
trapper
Jingles  Offline
trapper
J

Washington
Originally Posted by Norwestalta
Thanks all. I've been busy as a one legged man at a (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) kicking competition. Helping neighbors wetting down their hay and straw bales. Setting up sprinklers around my farm and cabin. Then got 3 dozers mobilized from the outfit I work for. Heading out on one of those dozers today. All out air assets are stretched very thin and none available at this time.

As Tatiana has said my bush is much the same as was described. Aspen,alder,spruce, pine, willow and Tamarack. With a mix of muskeg, peat loamy soil as well as grassland type of soil. They way the smoke is going straight up I suspect is a sign of a hot fire. Rain in the forecast thankfully but before that we've got a 30 deg C day or 2. We've been fortunate that the wind is blowing the fire away from our line but that'll change.

Thanks again for your insight and experience

Stay safe on that fire line

Last edited by Jingles; 06/09/23 09:18 AM.

The job of a Patriot is not to protect his country but to protect the people from the tryannical government
Re: Forest fires and its effect? [Re: Jingles] #7881429
06/10/23 12:40 AM
06/10/23 12:40 AM
Alberta
N
Norwestalta Offline OP
trapper
Norwestalta  Offline OP
trapper
N

Alberta
Thanks jingles. Cut 2 miles of fire line today with 7 D6's. I struck out with my guys (3 d6) heading to the border to clear line so crews and heggelund can get in. I've got 20 years on a dozer but never forest fire work. It's been a long time since we could crash and stack trees. Anything over 6" goes to the mill these days but it felt good to be out there tipping over some of those big trees. Wind changes tomorrow and won't be in my favour but we're doing our best. Some aircraft would help. Hand fallers came and cleaned up the standing fuel around the cabin.

The plus side is there's some easier access to the line but the down fall is there's easier access to the line.

Take care.

Re: Forest fires and its effect? [Re: Norwestalta] #7881573
06/10/23 10:34 AM
06/10/23 10:34 AM
E. Oregon
S
super cub Offline
trapper
super cub  Offline
trapper
S

E. Oregon
I've seen coyotes move back in to fires as soon as they quit burning. Lots of dead mice and stuff.

With sniffy and his crew wanting us to go to electric cars to control global warming, why don't he call trustdo and tell him to stop all the fires so we don't get global warming

Last edited by super cub; 06/10/23 10:35 AM. Reason: miss spelled
Re: Forest fires and its effect? [Re: Norwestalta] #7881922
06/10/23 07:15 PM
06/10/23 07:15 PM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Offline
trapper
Northof50  Offline
trapper
N

Manitoba
Was perfect comditions for fires to become beast with that last weather.
When you see lightning in the smoke cloud you know you have a beast growing.
It is those 60,000 foot clouds that are putting the smoke into the jet stream to have fall down 1/2 the world away
One of your Alberta fires grew from 5 ha to 50,000 ha in 36 hours , hope that is not the one effecting you.

NWalta does your fire have a code name we can look up and follow ?

on a return of marten experience; two of the areas I trap had fires 35 years before and it took 30 years for them to return in a aspen /parkland setting and a jack pine ridge habitat

Re: Forest fires and its effect? [Re: Norwestalta] #7882017
06/10/23 09:06 PM
06/10/23 09:06 PM
North central Iowa
B
Bob_Iowa Offline
trapper
Bob_Iowa  Offline
trapper
B

North central Iowa
I hope everyone stays safe, one thing guys from down south have to remember is the short growing season up there so the forests don’t have the amount of time to regrow there in a year that they do in the southern USA.

Re: Forest fires and its effect? [Re: Bob_Iowa] #7882055
06/10/23 09:57 PM
06/10/23 09:57 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted by Bob_Iowa
I hope everyone stays safe, one thing guys from down south have to remember is the short growing season up there so the forests don’t have the amount of time to regrow there in a year that they do in the southern USA.

Its not about regrowing down here. Historically and even to this day crown fires just are not a thing here. Our fire regimen is ground fires sweeping through every few years knocking back hardwood growth and favoring fire adapted pines, longleaf and shortleaf. The big stand replacement events for us are hurricanes and to a lesser degree tornadoes.

[Linked Image]
Re: Forest fires and its effect? [Re: Northof50] #7882145
06/11/23 12:37 AM
06/11/23 12:37 AM
Alberta
N
Norwestalta Offline OP
trapper
Norwestalta  Offline OP
trapper
N

Alberta
Originally Posted by Northof50
Was perfect comditions for fires to become beast with that last weather.
When you see lightning in the smoke cloud you know you have a beast growing.
It is those 60,000 foot clouds that are putting the smoke into the jet stream to have fall down 1/2 the world away
One of your Alberta fires grew from 5 ha to 50,000 ha in 36 hours , hope that is not the one effecting you.

NWalta does your fire have a code name we can look up and follow ?

on a return of marten experience; two of the areas I trap had fires 35 years before and it took 30 years for them to return in a aspen /parkland setting and a jack pine ridge habitat

I'm unsure of code# but on the bc fire app it is the peavine creek fire. Today it was fairly subdued. I don't know how many of miles of line we cut today but we went up the border then crossed into bc. We skirted some spot fires and headed back south cutting line. We will end up at beaverlodge lake tomorrow late morning early or early afternoon. I'll try to send a link. This is a relatively small fire compared to some of them that are burning. Because our provincial wildfire guys are tapped the county of grande prairie is running the show and I must say that I'm very impressed with the organization and way things are being done. Guys working hard on the dozers gettin 'er done. It is a bad time when crashing trees all the fluff from the poplar trees and willows plugging up the rads.

I'm not so good with the googler or confuser so I hope this works.
https://www.bcfiremap.com/

The fire is in the purple area straight west of Grande Prairie there's a fire symbol in that mess lol that give info on fire.

Last edited by Norwestalta; 06/11/23 12:39 AM.
Re: Forest fires and its effect? [Re: Norwestalta] #7882457
06/11/23 12:49 PM
06/11/23 12:49 PM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Offline
trapper
Northof50  Offline
trapper
N

Manitoba
Was able to get to the Alberta fire pages and view that fire size.
May Mother Nature give you a bath is in the best interest
Good luck on the line....I did see some jumpers from Boise Idaho are up there helping

only been in that area once when you had a Alberta Trappers convention up there, most people travelling the Alaska Highway pass through that area
Best of luck on the line

Re: Forest fires and its effect? [Re: Norwestalta] #7882461
06/11/23 12:51 PM
06/11/23 12:51 PM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Offline
trapper
Northof50  Offline
trapper
N

Manitoba

Re: Forest fires and its effect? [Re: Norwestalta] #7882927
06/12/23 12:02 AM
06/12/23 12:02 AM
Alberta
N
Norwestalta Offline OP
trapper
Norwestalta  Offline OP
trapper
N

Alberta
Thanks N of 50. Think they had the rendezvous in teepee creek. Yes the tourist drive right thru our little town. Not much to see in ol luggage stop alberta but I like it. Forecast has changed to thunderstorms. Not good. Bc forest service was planning a back burn today but conditions changed and they gonna plan for tomorrow morning. Hope it doesn't turn into a snafu. Got half a day with the cats then we'll get a rest maybe. Lol. Some low life's broke into the other cat crews trucks while they were working on the line. A winch cable around the neck and drug down the line would be a problem solved.

Re: Forest fires and its effect? [Re: Norwestalta] #7884232
06/14/23 12:45 AM
06/14/23 12:45 AM
Alberta
N
Norwestalta Offline OP
trapper
Norwestalta  Offline OP
trapper
N

Alberta
Just a update on the fire. The evacuation alert has been canceled for my area due to a steady amount of precipitation. The north and south cat guards are completed. Both crews averaged about a mile a day. The one crew had 4 D6T dozers and built their guard 4-5 dozers wide. My crew had 2 D6T' and a D6N. We built ours 2-3 dozers wide with a couple 100'x100' helo pads. That's not bad for both crews considering we both got pulled off the line multiple times due to the fire getting real aggressive and plans for a back burn. The travel to our staging area took min 1hr each way to get to our staging area and back out to the line. Some times this would happen twice in a day.

Yesterday was a exciting day. The Bc crews bunch the wood,,strip and then put the bunched woodon top of the strippings. It was a near disaster when their row on bunched wood caught on fire and burnt down the line like someone left a trail of gas and then sparked it up. All is good and they managed to get it under control but it was iffy at the time.

Re: Forest fires and its effect? [Re: Norwestalta] #7884717
06/14/23 06:14 PM
06/14/23 06:14 PM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Offline
trapper
Northof50  Offline
trapper
N

Manitoba
Anyone driving past should really stop into Trapper Gords treading post off the Alaska highway.

Hopefully thing settle down with those fires.
The weather system is putting all the smoke in a back curl over us to the Ontario boarder much like the east coast got last week

Re: Forest fires and its effect? [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7885065
06/15/23 09:01 AM
06/15/23 09:01 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
There is a BIG difference in the aftermath of a wild fire and a controlled burn....

Correct

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Forest fires and its effect? [Re: 330-Trapper] #7885067
06/15/23 09:05 AM
06/15/23 09:05 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
There is a BIG difference in the aftermath of a wild fire and a controlled burn....

Correct

And the paradox is that controlled burns prevent wildfires.

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread