No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Ordering a eBike [Re: trapdog1] #8133296
05/04/24 08:35 AM
05/04/24 08:35 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline OP
trapper
Law Dog  Offline OP
trapper

Central, SD
Originally Posted by trapdog1
Originally Posted by gman
If anyone is interested. MN has a ebike program starting June 5th I think. They will pay up to 1500.00 based on percentage of cost. It is based on your income. I will be getting a new one.

Interesting. Do you know where the money for this program comes from? Just wondering how the state is doing it.

Burn down 3 buildings you get a free bike? J/K Things are getting that crazy. LOL

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Ordering a eBike [Re: Law Dog] #8133298
05/04/24 08:38 AM
05/04/24 08:38 AM
MT
S
snowy Offline
trapper
snowy  Offline
trapper
S

MT
I have seen a few people around here install those small gas engines on bikes. They seem to really work well for them and is way cheaper and will just fly if you need too. I know the electric are quite but still game can hear you regardless of what you use. Even just walking big game know you are there.

Give me a fish, I will eat for a day. Teach me to fish, I will eat for a lifetime
Re: Ordering a eBike [Re: Law Dog] #8133309
05/04/24 08:55 AM
05/04/24 08:55 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline OP
trapper
Law Dog  Offline OP
trapper

Central, SD
Hunted elk with a friend last fall that had a ebike it was very quite he’d take off and I did not hear it while standing nearby that was impressive. Should work well before sunup listening for gobbles I’m hoping.

Jerry Herbst
Re: Ordering a eBike [Re: Law Dog] #8133311
05/04/24 08:57 AM
05/04/24 08:57 AM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Online happy
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Online Happy
trapper
S

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Hunted elk with a friend last fall that had a ebike it was very quite he’d take off and I did not hear it while standing nearby that was impressive. Should work well before sunup listening for gobbles I’m hoping.

It does!

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Ordering a eBike [Re: Law Dog] #8133314
05/04/24 09:05 AM
05/04/24 09:05 AM
S
Swamp Wolf Online happy
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Online Happy
trapper
S

jbyrd,
Gotta read them regs!

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Ordering a eBike [Re: trapdog1] #8133466
05/04/24 05:13 PM
05/04/24 05:13 PM
Barnum, MN
S
ScottW Offline
trapper
ScottW  Offline
trapper
S

Barnum, MN
Originally Posted by trapdog1
Originally Posted by gman
If anyone is interested. MN has a ebike program starting June 5th I think. They will pay up to 1500.00 based on percentage of cost. It is based on your income. I will be getting a new one.

Interesting. Do you know where the money for this program comes from? Just wondering how the state is doing it.

You need to apply and if you are selected you can get up to $1500 back. I think only about $2 million in the pot, so about 13-1400 folks will get bikes.

Happy trapping! ScottW

Re: Ordering a eBike [Re: Law Dog] #8133482
05/04/24 05:42 PM
05/04/24 05:42 PM
Southeast KY
K
K91773 Offline
trapper
K91773  Offline
trapper
K

Southeast KY
For the USFS each forest will have a motorized vehicle use map, whether a road is open or closed to motorized vehicles is initially determined by this map, then it will tell you weather is a year-round road or a seasonally opened road and provide the dates for those seasons. Now regardless of whether a gate is present or a sign is posted those USFS roads that are not on the map are closed. Where it gets confusing is that a lot of roads on USFS lands are not USFS roads but rather a county or state road and those may or may not show up on the map. Now if a road shows up as open on the map but is signed as closed or is gated then that road is also closed to motorized use during the period of the special closure.

Now for clarification on the status of e-bikes each forest should have the restrictions posted on their website particularly if they deviate from the national standard of being closed. If additional information is not posted then the default position is the national standard which restricts them to routes open to motorized vehicles. However if they jump through the hoops individual forests can develop their own policy on e-bikes but that must be posted.

The Government is very good at taking something that is about as simple as breathing and making it complicated.

Re: Ordering a eBike [Re: jbyrd63] #8133484
05/04/24 05:45 PM
05/04/24 05:45 PM
West Virginia
S
Sshaffer Offline
trapper
Sshaffer  Offline
trapper
S

West Virginia
I often hear that if the watts is 750 or under that can be ridden on National Forest.
Not here is WV. Nothing but pedal power bikes are allowed behind locked gates. Nothing motorized. Went to the Forest Service office and they were very clear that it's a no.
That said the change to allow them is under consideration.

Re: Ordering a eBike [Re: Law Dog] #8133498
05/04/24 06:01 PM
05/04/24 06:01 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline OP
trapper
Law Dog  Offline OP
trapper

Central, SD
From what I have seen if it’s gated and closed to motorized vehicles it’s closed to e-bikes also, We have enough unmaintained roads that are not gated or blocked to ride on that are not posted. Many natural barriers in the springtime in the upper elevations from downed trees and washed out roads that most folks won’t travel.

You about need a lawyer to go in the forest now it also stated the eBike is not consider to be a recognized disability type transport. Many roads are not officially open in the National Forest in the spring but maybe a handful of folks know what roads are closed. Its ironic the you can’t run a eBike in some places but ATVs get a whole system of roads to run on. I guess the eBike could run those trails but that still sucks.

Jerry Herbst
Re: Ordering a eBike [Re: Law Dog] #8133532
05/04/24 06:49 PM
05/04/24 06:49 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline OP
trapper
Law Dog  Offline OP
trapper

Central, SD
A couple articles from the web notice dates.

As of August 1, 2023 all three classes of e-bike may be used on national park lands wherever non-motorized bicycles are allowed. The National Park Service indicates park superintendents may choose to permit some, but not all, classes of e-bikes to use park lands. A specific park may allow class I and II e-bikes, but prohibit class III e-bikes.

Washington,March 31, 2022 -
The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Forest Service is announcing that internal guidance on how future e-bike use is managed on national forests and grasslands has been finalized. The updated guidance clarifies existing policy and provides guidelines to local Forest Service employees that may be considering expanding e-bike access at site-specific locations.

The Forest Service currently allows e-bikes on all Forest Service roads that are already open to motorized vehicles, as well on 60,000 miles of motorized trails, which represent 38% of all trails the agency manages. Today’s finalized guidance allows e-bikes to continue to operate on currently-authorized roads and trails, and lays out a process to evaluate future requests for expanded access. The updated guidance also outlines the required environmental analysis and public input required before making future decisions to expand local e-bike access.

“National forests and grasslands are a place for all people to recreate, relax and refresh,” said Forest Service Chief Randy Moore. “The additional guidance will help our district rangers and forest supervisors better serve their communities with a policy that allows managers to make locally based decisions to address e-bike use. This growing recreational activity is another opportunity to responsibly share the experience of the outdoors with other recreationists.”

The Forest Service manages nearly 160,000 miles of trails in 42 states and Puerto Rico for a variety of activities. E-biking is one of many legitimate recreational activities, such as horseback riding, snowmobiling, mountain biking, cross-country skiing, hiking and backpacking, that the agency manages under its multiple use mission. The clarified guidance will support local Forest Service decision-makers as they consider opportunities to expand access for this emerging user group.

Other land management agencies, including the U.S. Department of the Interior’s Bureau of Land Management and National Park Service, allow for e-bike use on 18,000 miles and 16,000 miles of trails, respectively.

For more information on recreational activities, contact your local national forest or grassland.

Last edited by Law Dog; 05/04/24 06:50 PM.

Jerry Herbst
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread