Water Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Drowning Cable: What size? [Re: ] #882550
09/14/08 02:24 AM
09/14/08 02:24 AM
central Missouri
B
Bigfoot Offline
trapper
Bigfoot  Offline
trapper
B

central Missouri
Theres nothing wrong with wire I still use it for realy long drowners going from otter toilets to the river . But iwant it anchored deep usualy with a sandbag preferably in current . I want them dead as quick as possible where with cable I'm just happy to get critters in a foot of water . Realy minimizes the chewing and makes it hard for them to get any leverage .

Re: Drowning Cable: What size? [Re: MINKCRAZY] #882611
09/14/08 07:46 AM
09/14/08 07:46 AM
princeton il
aqua.driller Offline
trapper
aqua.driller  Offline
trapper

princeton il
Originally Posted By: MINKCRAZY
Originally Posted By: aqua.driller
no stainless in illinois -punishable by loss of lic.

what is that about?forgive my ignorance.

i dont know what is wrong with stainkess but i heard or a guy who used it and it does say so in the regs several times.

as for your ignorance....you cant be expected to know the hoops of every state ....but you better know your own!!

Re: Drowning Cable: What size? [Re: ] #882695
09/14/08 08:50 AM
09/14/08 08:50 AM
South metro, MN
C
Calvin Offline
trapper
Calvin  Offline
trapper
C

South metro, MN
I had a couple break offs last year with 14ga. I went to cable and will not be going back to wire again because of it. We have some big coon up here so maybe that was it...I don't know. Have a real bad taste in my mouth on the wire drowners now that nobody on here will cure (just personal experience). After using both methods, I will say that the cable is far superior method that saves you alot of time in the long run for me.
I will also be trying the 7x19 cable this year (Rally Hess/s recomendations). Just by toying with it, it is alot more pliable and I have not been able to kink this stuff. You can tie it in a knot and it comes back out straight. A little more money, however.

Re: Drowning Cable: What size? [Re: Calvin] #883156
09/14/08 02:41 PM
09/14/08 02:41 PM
NW Montana
MT Mtn Trapper Offline
trapper
MT Mtn Trapper  Offline
trapper

NW Montana
I use 1/8 7x7 cable for anything a beaver or otter might get into. 14ga. wire for mink or rats. Even using the larger cable I've had a couple 60+ lb. beavers turn my drowner into a slinky. I couldn't imagine using wire on them.

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36

Re: Drowning Cable: What size? [Re: MT Mtn Trapper] #883216
09/14/08 03:19 PM
09/14/08 03:19 PM
10714 Apple road Carthage,Mo6...
C
Cletis Richards Offline
trapper
Cletis Richards  Offline
trapper
C

10714 Apple road Carthage,Mo6...
If the hole is too large or the edges smoothed from previous catch's it looses it ability to lock down on cable and will allow the animal to pull the lock backwards causing the cable to look like a slinky . Much like the edge of scissors pulled along a ribbon causing it to curly cue. The same thing happens when an aggressive snare lock's hole get blown out and it becomes a relaxing lock.

Appleroad Predator Bait

www.appleroadlures.com

Like us on Facebook

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91