No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Castor size from colony to colony #6160976
02/17/18 07:55 PM
02/17/18 07:55 PM
Virginia
C
coontrapper2016 Offline OP
trapper
coontrapper2016  Offline OP
trapper
C

Virginia
I've caught two beaver out of one colony and both castor sacks were nearly empty, and the oil sacs were tiny. They were both smallish, probably 1 1/2-2 years old, but still plenty big enough to have castor. I was wondering if the castors were just deflating, but I caught a pretty good sized beaver out of a different colony today and he had a good amount of castor. So is there something genetic that could be going on that beaver out of a specific colony will just naturally have larger, or in this case small castor? I hope I'll catch at least one or two more tonight to see how full theirs are.

Last edited by coontrapper2016; 02/17/18 07:55 PM.
Re: Castor size from colony to colony [Re: coontrapper2016] #6160998
02/17/18 08:25 PM
02/17/18 08:25 PM
North Carolina
F
fingertrapper Offline
trapper
fingertrapper  Offline
trapper
F

North Carolina
Age, sex, and time of year are the real factors. Can't see where location of the colony makes much of a difference.

"Smallish" meaning sub adults will have mainly empty hulls. Two year old and adults will have fuller castors.

Breeding males tend to have the largest size.

Different age males.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Burke
Let's go do something.
Re: Castor size from colony to colony [Re: coontrapper2016] #6161002
02/17/18 08:28 PM
02/17/18 08:28 PM
North Carolina
F
fingertrapper Offline
trapper
fingertrapper  Offline
trapper
F

North Carolina
Sub adult castors are on the far left.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Burke
Let's go do something.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread