No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Plant by Farmers Almanac (Added a ? for Hal) #6223976
04/22/18 03:56 PM
04/22/18 03:56 PM
SE NEBRASKA
NebrCatMan Offline OP
trapper
NebrCatMan  Offline OP
trapper

SE NEBRASKA
How many here plant garden strictly by what the farmers almanac says. I usually plant when I have time and weather allows. But I had a customer out yesterday who swears by the almanac. I want to plant peas and onions. maybe some radish, later today but the almanac says not a good day. Weather and the dirt seems right, tilled nicely. Hope to hear some interesting comments!!! Thanks

Last edited by NebrCatMan; 04/22/18 11:07 PM.

Remember "Forbidden Fruit makes many Jams"
Re: Plant by Farmers Almanac [Re: NebrCatMan] #6223988
04/22/18 04:15 PM
04/22/18 04:15 PM
Blue Creek, Ohio
Hal Offline
"old windy fartbag"
Hal  Offline
"old windy fartbag"

Blue Creek, Ohio
A lot of it depends on when the swamp boogers come out of hibernation in your area. That's why I don't put too much stock in the Farmer's Almanac because it tries to cover the whole U.S. Swamp boogers are first out after ice off. If you see swamp booger tracks in the mud by your swamp, then it is not too early to plaint survival foods like radishes and turnips and onions. Keep the soil in your garden clear, and when you see the firs swamp booger track in the garden, it will be time to plant corn. Don't plant tomatoes and peppers until you find a set of swamp booger tracks all the way across your garden. Two weeks later, plant your winter squash. When you see the tracks coming back across your garden, plant your fall greens, rutabagas and turnips.

[Linked Image]
La pervenche est une tr�s belle couleur!!

Re: Plant by Farmers Almanac [Re: NebrCatMan] #6224030
04/22/18 05:15 PM
04/22/18 05:15 PM
SE NEBRASKA
NebrCatMan Offline OP
trapper
NebrCatMan  Offline OP
trapper

SE NEBRASKA
Don't have swamp boogers in my area as we lack swamps. But I think there are boogy mans around here. At least that is what my mom always told me when I was little and wanted to stay outside after dark back 50 or 55 years ago. I suppose the boogey mans have made more boogey mans or the original one is still alive even though he would be older now. They must not eat stuff from the garden as about the only damage I can remember in the garden was from rabbits, deer, wood chucks and the neighbors sheep!!! Oh yea, some ringtail masked bandits too. Guess I'll just plant no matter what those who publish the almanac say. Thanks Hal!!!

Re: Plant by Farmers Almanac [Re: NebrCatMan] #6224089
04/22/18 06:39 PM
04/22/18 06:39 PM
Philippines, s.e. asia,ohio
west river rogue Offline
trapper
west river rogue  Offline
trapper

Philippines, s.e. asia,ohio
Sound wisdom from the old booger from blue lick...haha..swamp boogers tracked us up 10 days ago so I planted...had nights of 20 degrees after seeds sprouted. Then I called possum lodge and asked red green...he said bury duct tape and good to go!!

Re: Plant by Farmers Almanac [Re: Hal] #6224091
04/22/18 06:43 PM
04/22/18 06:43 PM
Perham Minnesota 54
R
racerboy108 Offline
trapper
racerboy108  Offline
trapper
R

Perham Minnesota 54
Originally Posted By: Hal
swamp boogers

Is this a Bigfoot thing? Lol

Re: Plant by Farmers Almanac [Re: NebrCatMan] #6224110
04/22/18 07:26 PM
04/22/18 07:26 PM
MN
NateM Offline
trapper
Happy Birthday NateM  Offline
trapper

MN
Being a farmer from southern Minnesota I have no experience with swamp boogers but I plant strictly by soil conditions and seldom pay much attention to the long range forecast. I would not Plant a pea or bean till May in the north country tho

Re: Plant by Farmers Almanac [Re: NebrCatMan] #6224307
04/22/18 11:11 PM
04/22/18 11:11 PM
SE NEBRASKA
NebrCatMan Offline OP
trapper
NebrCatMan  Offline OP
trapper

SE NEBRASKA
Hal, I just have a question you just might know the answer to! Do those swamp buggers er boogers know when the right time is to go find morel mushrooms? Or do they trick all sane people into thinking the mushrooms will never pop therefore they can have all those tasty little fungi to themselves??? I don't live by any swamps but I do have a small creek in my backyard. Maybe a mixed up or kinda slow swamp booger calls the creek home rather than a real swamp!!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread