No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Beaver Trapping In Shallow Water #8127295
Yesterday at 04:38 PM
Yesterday at 04:38 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline OP
trapper
Trapper7  Offline OP
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
We've had a drought the past couple years. The result is very low water in our channel at the lake. Beaver moved in, so I had to take them out. 330s would be difficult to work as the water near the bank was only about 5 inches. There was about 3 feet of water out about 5 feet or so. I opted to go with CDRs on 8 foot drowning rods. I used 2inch poplar pieces I had cut in my woods for bait. The first night the bait disappeared and the trap was never sprung. I couldn't believe it! So, I drove a couple stakes in the ground at the water's edge the next day and wired the poplar to the stakes with the idea that if the beaver had to work hard to get the bait, it would step in the trap eventually. It worked two days in a row.

Some of you more experienced trappers may have tried this already. But, for those who haven't, its a solution for the problem.

The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never let the dumbest ones lead the pack.
Re: Beaver Trapping In Shallow Water [Re: Trapper7] #8127350
Yesterday at 06:15 PM
Yesterday at 06:15 PM
MN
160user Offline
trapper
160user  Offline
trapper

MN
Low water has been making things tough for me too. I just set yesterday and finding enough water for a 330 to be legal or enough to drown them with a #5 has been a challenge. I am toying with a new drowner system that so far has worked pretty well in shallow water and doesn't require near as much weight to drown them.

I have nothing clever to put here.

Re: Beaver Trapping In Shallow Water [Re: Trapper7] #8127354
Yesterday at 06:18 PM
Yesterday at 06:18 PM
Georgia
warrior Online content
trapper
warrior  Online Content
trapper

Georgia
Welcome to my world. Unless it's a subdivision pond all of mine are little ditch creeks.

[Linked Image]
Re: Beaver Trapping In Shallow Water [Re: warrior] #8127361
Yesterday at 06:29 PM
Yesterday at 06:29 PM
MN
160user Offline
trapper
160user  Offline
trapper

MN
Originally Posted by warrior
Welcome to my world. Unless it's a subdivision pond all of mine are little ditch creeks.

At least we don't have snakes!

Re: Beaver Trapping In Shallow Water [Re: 160user] #8127396
Yesterday at 07:58 PM
Yesterday at 07:58 PM
Georgia
warrior Online content
trapper
warrior  Online Content
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted by 160user

I really ain't got none to be worried about. I'm at the fringe range of moccasins. None to the north of me, none here. Got to look long and hard on the west end of the county for one. Got to go south to get into good moccasin water.

Call me crazy but I miss the things. Grew up with them around it's kind of nice seeing them like an old friend.

[Linked Image]
Re: Beaver Trapping In Shallow Water [Re: Trapper7] #8127399
Yesterday at 08:05 PM
Yesterday at 08:05 PM
New Hampshire
N
Nessmuck Offline
trapper
Nessmuck  Offline
trapper
N

New Hampshire
Originally Posted by Trapper7
We've had a drought the past couple years. The result is very low water in our channel at the lake. Beaver moved in, so I had to take them out. 330s would be difficult to work as the water near the bank was only about 5 inches. There was about 3 feet of water out about 5 feet or so. I opted to go with CDRs on 8 foot drowning rods. I used 2inch poplar pieces I had cut in my woods for bait. The first night the bait disappeared and the trap was never sprung. I couldn't believe it! So, I drove a couple stakes in the ground at the water's edge the next day and wired the poplar to the stakes with the idea that if the beaver had to work hard to get the bait, it would step in the trap eventually. It worked two days in a row.

Some of you more experienced trappers may have tried this already. But, for those who haven't, its a solution for the problem.

When you first set it up.... did you shove that poplar stick into the waters edge pretty good ?

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
Re: Beaver Trapping In Shallow Water [Re: Trapper7] #8127452
Yesterday at 09:13 PM
Yesterday at 09:13 PM
Iowa
M
Mitch L Offline
trapper
Mitch L  Offline
trapper
M

Iowa
Floating 330 sets? Or live catch them?? Or 15/20 foot of cable to get them to deep water?

Last edited by Mitch L; Yesterday at 09:20 PM.
Re: Beaver Trapping In Shallow Water [Re: Trapper7] #8127514
Yesterday at 10:35 PM
Yesterday at 10:35 PM
Georgia
warrior Online content
trapper
warrior  Online Content
trapper

Georgia
Fiberglass shines for shallow water as you can put a pretty good bend in it when you find the occasional thigh deep hole. The issue though is anchoring the top with one bent into a quarter circle. That much flex wants to pop the top stake.

I've had more than a few where the lock had to go uphill before going down the rod.

[Linked Image]
Re: Beaver Trapping In Shallow Water [Re: Trapper7] #8127605
13 hours ago
13 hours ago
Lake Mille Lacs , MN
2poor Offline
trapper
2poor  Offline
trapper

Lake Mille Lacs , MN
Dug a trench under many 330’s this Spring with the low water. . Adapt and conquer !

It’s a lazy man who can’t find his wife a second job !
Re: Beaver Trapping In Shallow Water [Re: Trapper7] #8127624
12 hours ago
12 hours ago
MT
S
snowy Offline
trapper
snowy  Offline
trapper
S

MT
Yep, leg holds with #5's is my answer when that is the situation.

Give me a fish, I will eat for a day. Teach me to fish, I will eat for a lifetime
Re: Beaver Trapping In Shallow Water [Re: 160user] #8127633
12 hours ago
12 hours ago
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota

Truth

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Beaver Trapping In Shallow Water [Re: Nessmuck] #8127699
10 hours ago
10 hours ago
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline OP
trapper
Trapper7  Offline OP
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted by Nessmuck
Originally Posted by Trapper7

When you first set it up.... did you shove that poplar stick into the waters edge pretty good ?

Not really because the sticks were about 2 inches in diameter. I scraped some of the bark off to give it a visual effect. After I wired the poplar to the stakes, the poplar were pretty tough to move without some wrangling.

The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never let the dumbest ones lead the pack.
Re: Beaver Trapping In Shallow Water [Re: warrior] #8127702
10 hours ago
10 hours ago
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline OP
trapper
Trapper7  Offline OP
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Fiberglass shines for shallow water as you can put a pretty good bend in it when you find the occasional thigh deep hole. The issue though is anchoring the top with one bent into a quarter circle. That much flex wants to pop the top stake.

I've had more than a few where the lock had to go uphill before going down the rod.

My experience has been that the top stake is usually up a little which seems to force the beaver to go down the rod better. I think they pull it up some when they first get caught.

Re: Beaver Trapping In Shallow Water [Re: Trapper7] #8127738
8 hours ago
8 hours ago
MN
160user Offline
trapper
160user  Offline
trapper

MN
I had one in a Bridger #5 today sitting on the shoulder of the road. I guess the water wasn't as deep as I thought and he drug the weights up the bank and almost to the shoulder of the road. With a 10 foot chain drowner they make quite a catch circle.

Re: Beaver Trapping In Shallow Water [Re: 160user] #8127973
10 minutes ago
10 minutes ago
Manitoba
Shakeyjake Offline
trapper
Shakeyjake  Offline
trapper

Manitoba
I had one in a Bridger #5 today sitting on the shoulder of the road. I guess the water wasn't as deep as I thought and he drug the weights up the bank and almost to the shoulder of the road. With a 10 foot chain drowner they make quite a catch circle.

Was that with your test drowning system using less weight?

Re: Beaver Trapping In Shallow Water [Re: Trapper7] #8127983
12 seconds ago
12 seconds ago
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Online content
trapper
Vinke  Online Content
trapper

NWWA/AZ
I love a long chain a t stake and a 5 or larger trap,,,,,

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale……………
Previous Thread