ADC Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Skunk- coveralls for skunk work #63528
01/29/07 09:16 PM
01/29/07 09:16 PM
Hiwassee, VA
Sparky Offline OP
trapper
Sparky  Offline OP
trapper

Hiwassee, VA
I need a set of coveralls to use when removeing skunks, to ensure peace at home. LOL

I was thinking about Tyvek, but they say that they breath, which would allow the smell in. Anyone know something that would work?

Sparky

" American schools are Gun Free Zones and children die. Israeli schools are armed and it's the attackers who die! "
Re: coveralls for skunk work [Re: Sparky] #63816
01/29/07 11:43 PM
01/29/07 11:43 PM
Tug Hill, New York
A
Albert Burns Offline
trapper
Albert Burns  Offline
trapper
A

Tug Hill, New York
Caution and experience? Just kidding. Are you having trouble with them spraying on a continual basis, or just isolated incidents? The majority of my business is skunk work, and I rarely have any odor. Most skunks are very tolerant, and will let you push them a long way before getting un-sociable. But you will always find one, every now and then, that is going to spray no matter how sweet you talk to it. I figure they just have a bad attitude,like some people. Anything you try to wear over your clothes is going to hold the odor, which you can shed before entering your home, keeping your wife happy. My wife now associates the smell with money,which is good. If I do smell like a skunk,she knows at least there was a paycheck involved.
If you are having trouble keeping them from spraying, PM me and I will gladly share some tricks I use with you to help solve that. As far as wearing something that will keep the odor off you, I am not sure what to suggest. I don't think anything would really be effective. The smell would still attatch itself to any exposed body parts and be noticeable. Albert

Re: coveralls for skunk work [Re: Albert Burns] #63922
01/30/07 01:55 AM
01/30/07 01:55 AM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
Most of the time I find it on my shoes if at all. Albert can give you the low down on what to do to reduce the risk.....The best i have found is....move slow.....cover cages or by tube traps...and talk to the shunk.

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale……………
Re: coveralls for skunk work [Re: Vinke] #64053
01/30/07 09:30 AM
01/30/07 09:30 AM
Hiwassee, VA
Sparky Offline OP
trapper
Sparky  Offline OP
trapper

Hiwassee, VA
I wear rubber boots, so that isn't a problem. I am haveing problems mostly when I put them down. Right now, I am haveing to shoot, but plan on makeing a syringe pole soon.

The one last night was a sick one, and had saturated the area with spray.

Keeping the smell out of the truck is the biggest concern.

Sparky

" American schools are Gun Free Zones and children die. Israeli schools are armed and it's the attackers who die! "
Re: coveralls for skunk work [Re: Vinke] #64078
01/30/07 09:54 AM
01/30/07 09:54 AM
Tug Hill, New York
A
Albert Burns Offline
trapper
Albert Burns  Offline
trapper
A

Tug Hill, New York
Those are all excellent ideas. Also,look at where you put the cage before you set. I keep small hand held brush cutters on the truck,they come in handy for opening a path to the cage before a capture is made. Clear away the small branches that could interfere with the cover,or startle the animal. If its a really tough location,behind shrubs tight to a home, I pre-cover the cages. I have not tried the tube traps, but they sound like an excellent idea. I put blind sets in there paths,or use positive control on the den entrances with multiple traps. I rarely use bait and did not know how effective a tube trap would be in my applications, but I have been wanting to try a few.
I find one of my worst enemies when handling skunks can be the wind. They can be very edgy when a hard wind is blowing. I always approach slowly from the upwind side before attempting to cover them,if they do release a little it is carried away from you. I also have found certain covers work better than others. I go to thrift stores and buy heavy wool blankets and cut them down to the correct size. They have less of a tendancy to move in the wind and startle the animal. On bad days I will soak them with water to really reduce the problem,it works well,and when I am done I fold them in a square where they freeze up. Next day I just unfold them and they are ready to go. With a heavy blanket if they do spray some, it will absorb and contain the odor keeping it off you and your equipment. If they get too bad they hit the dumpster and we start over with a new batch.
One item I use every day with skunks are my snake tongs. I hold one end of the cover with the out stretched tongs in my right hand,the other corner of the cover with my left. This lets me be pretty well protected in the event one does fire. Then I gently put the cover over the animal. If you have a cage thats in a spot that is not accessable to cover it, I have gently pulled cages from behind bushes with the snake tongs till I could get a cover on them. I try to avoid those spots or prepare for the capture ahead of time,but sometimes it's not possible.
These are just a few tips I have found to be helpfull when I handle them. Maybe we can get some of the other people that remove large numbers of skunks to also share their methods, I always like to hear other ideas on how to make my jobs easier and more profitable, Hope I helped out some, and Like Vinke said, whatch where you walk around them,if I do smell, it is usually on my shoes also. Minor problem. Albert

Re: coveralls for skunk work [Re: Albert Burns] #64086
01/30/07 10:07 AM
01/30/07 10:07 AM
Tug Hill, New York
A
Albert Burns Offline
trapper
Albert Burns  Offline
trapper
A

Tug Hill, New York
Sparky, I missed your post before posting the last one. I always keep a 5 gallon bucket in the truck with a tight fitting lid. They work great for stinky ones and contain the odor well. As far as euthanizing, I use a CO2 chamber because it has been the most effective method for me. It is time consuming,but they usually do not spray. I tried the syringe poles and could never get a good place in the cage to penetrate them without startling them. After one or two failures I gave up quickly and went back to the CO2. I know people that euthanize many of them with good results with the syringe, I am not one of them,maybe not patient enough. The only problem with the chamber is time. It takes me 7 minutes per animal to dispatch it,which can add up. Also the CO2 is more expensive,12cc's of "euthanization liquid" is about free,compared to the cost of gas. It just works well for me and I have used it for years. I also like the fact that it is a AVMA approved method. Good luck with the trapping, Albert

Re: coveralls for skunk work [Re: Albert Burns] #64142
01/30/07 10:56 AM
01/30/07 10:56 AM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
One thing I have found for the Skunk that is on edge is...a garden hose. Lightly misting them with water and they will curl up in a ball. Im with Albert on the AVMA approved methods.
I pre cover all my skunk sets with a heavy plastic.. with the back not covered.

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale……………
Re: coveralls for skunk work [Re: Vinke] #64876
01/30/07 08:18 PM
01/30/07 08:18 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Try one of those cheapo rainsuits from any sporting goods store with rubber boots.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: coveralls for skunk work [Re: BigBob] #91424
02/14/07 08:51 PM
02/14/07 08:51 PM
Hancock co., IN
Dave Scott Offline
trapper
Dave Scott  Offline
trapper

Hancock co., IN
Tube traps! If dispatching with gun.....stand farther away \:D

Scott Wildlife Control
"solutions to wildlife conflicts"
Re: coveralls for skunk work [Re: Dave Scott] #91451
02/14/07 09:06 PM
02/14/07 09:06 PM
Mt. Olive, IL
R
Ron Scheller Offline
trapper
Ron Scheller  Offline
trapper
R

Mt. Olive, IL
I agree with Dave..... tube traps. Even if using open wire construction traps, I never dispatch a skunk (with a gun) on the property where caught. Too much risk, and it doesn't leave a very favorable impression about your service. I've carried off a bunch of skunks in open traps, and SO FAR have never had one spray. It's a lot harder to get one to spray than most people think. Hand it a bit of cat food and you're good to go. Of course the 2 keys are moving slow and not running out of cat food.

Ron Scheller

Re: coveralls for skunk work [Re: Ron Scheller] #100253
02/20/07 05:34 AM
02/20/07 05:34 AM
New York border
Cragar Offline
trapper
Cragar  Offline
trapper

New York border
One of the keys to skunk work is knowing your opponent. When covering the cage with a blanket you must move slowly with no noise. Skunks have a fear of anything overhead , this is probably a fear of raptors (death from above). When I cover a trap I move very slowly , sometimes taking 5-10 min. to do this. I would rather waste 5-10 mins. than have the skunk spray. It is also important to have the blanket all the way to the ground so the skunk can not see your feet. If they can not see any danger they stay calm. I hold the blanket like a wall in front of me peeking over the top kinda like Kilroy. Watch the skunk's mood , if it is getting testy slow down or stop until it calms down. Better to take your time than have it spray. A soft thick blanket works much better than a piece of plastic or a blue tarp ,they make too much noise and will get the skunk to spray.

I would doubt any type of rainsuit or coveralls will protect you , skunk essance can go thru a solid concrete wall. Don't ask me how , it just does.

NRA benefactor member
Re: coveralls for skunk work [Re: Cragar] #101966
02/21/07 06:51 AM
02/21/07 06:51 AM
Western Michigan
Animals Only Offline
trapper
Animals Only  Offline
trapper

Western Michigan
Build yourself a CO2 chamber big enought to slide your cage trap into. Make one side of plexiglass so you can see the animal inside. You want to know it's dead before you pull the trap out! Directions.
1). Cover trap.
2). Bring trap to truck.
3). Set bottom edge of trap in opening of the chamber and push the trap in while removing the cover at the same time.
4). Close the door on the chamber and open the vent on the chamber. Start CO2 gas. Why a vent? Because the gas you place into the chamber needs to push out the air that is inside of it.
5). The gas only needs to go in at about 3 lbs of pressure for 90 seconds. Turn off gas and close vent. More gas or pressure does not kill quicker and can cause the skunk to spray. Modify the gassing time to fit your needs.
6). Drive to your next apointment and remove caged skunk from chamber and place (skunk) in plastic bag.
It only takes about 5 minutes for the animal to pass after the gas is introduced into the chamber. If your gas cylinder is low you will need to run the gas longer. This is the point you replace the tank and refill the old one. The skunk may/may not drip a drop of scent in the chamber.

AKA: Rusty Shackleford
Re: coveralls for skunk work [Re: Animals Only] #102005
02/21/07 08:31 AM
02/21/07 08:31 AM
Central IA
TRapper Offline
trapper
TRapper  Offline
trapper

Central IA
when dealing with skunks, get the skunk tuff trap from snareshop.com i have caught over 400 skunks with this trap and only one has sprayed so far, and even that one just sprayed in the trap. easy to clean out with disinfectant and deodorizer and can walk up to trap, pick it up, put in truck, that takes me a total amount of about 20 seconds from out the door to in the truck, then reset another and on my way. i wouldn't go back to cage traps for skunks if you paid me.

Re: coveralls for skunk work [Re: Animals Only] #103541
02/22/07 08:58 AM
02/22/07 08:58 AM
Massachusetts
Thomas Reilly Offline
trapper
Thomas Reilly  Offline
trapper

Massachusetts
CO2 canisters should have the regulators removed and be properly stored during transport. if you get in an accident your liable for the missle.

but slow with the gas is the way to go, and leave them in the chamber for a while after their done.

if you get a stinker, ushually a yearling, they will toot regardless of how nice you are, older ones just seem to look at you.

you can tell their dispositition easy enough
If they stomp their front feet and hiss,or appear agitated,stop, go back to the truck and get your drop cloth and proceed with caution....

Men who sling mud quickly lose ground
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Bob Jameson, LAtrapper