Wilderness Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Beaver thread archive #146333
03/21/07 06:43 PM
03/21/07 06:43 PM
Bethel, Alaska
fishermann222 Offline OP
"OX"
fishermann222  Offline OP
"OX"

Bethel, Alaska
Beaver trapping archive

I survived the Tman crash of '06
Re: Beaver thread archive [Re: fishermann222] #146347
03/21/07 06:54 PM
03/21/07 06:54 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I will start it off with a picture of some beavers from last spring.

these beavers fell to a 330 over the hole in the bank/ice they were using to come out and eat some fresh wood with. This is the easiest way to catch em, I call it the Ronco method. You just set it(the 330) and forget it. I got 3 in one day from the same hole. usually like to take only 2 or 3 from a hole, as the adults are the first ones to leave, then the 2yr olds and then the kits.
we got a half dozen so far, with 2 right at 70 inches and the others over 62". It is only going to get better

Re: Beaver thread archive [Re: ] #146732
03/21/07 09:39 PM
03/21/07 09:39 PM
Bethel, Alaska
fishermann222 Offline OP
"OX"
fishermann222  Offline OP
"OX"

Bethel, Alaska
From Hupurest
beaver question.. when putting them up, I sew the leg holes shut, but noticed some do not, does this effect prices??
seems when they are stretched, they stretch open real BIG.

Response from TrapperjoeAK
I use boards, and I nail the leg holes shut. I think that technically it does not effect the value. (It doesn't really change anything) But a nice appearance never hurt anything and often helps a lot.

From Otterman
I nail the rear legs shut and leave the front ones open to make getting the tags on quick and easy.
I was told once the furbuyer only really looks at the square or rectangle between the four leg holes but making sure we didnt make the holes too big was important

Re: Beaver thread archive [Re: fishermann222] #151723
03/24/07 11:58 PM
03/24/07 11:58 PM
SW Alaska
otterman Offline
trapper
otterman  Offline
trapper

SW Alaska
Posted by Family Trapper
Thought I would mention this to beaver trappers. One of my favorite things to do on beaver and otter sets is to cover my sets with cardboard and a heap of snow.

After setting for a week you can see here the ice was less than an inch thick. All 5 sets were like this. One had maybe 2-3 inches rest less than an inch. I would not have wanted to see what it would have been in a week of 30 below had I not insulated. It really pays off in time saved.

We get out of life only as much as we really want and work hard enough to achieve
Re: Beaver thread archive [Re: otterman] #151732
03/25/07 12:04 AM
03/25/07 12:04 AM
SW Alaska
otterman Offline
trapper
otterman  Offline
trapper

SW Alaska
question by Trailblazersteve
GREAT pictures Len!!How and with what are baiting up you coni's?No snares?

reply from familytrapper
Steve they are house entrance sets. No bait. I did had some bait to the trigger in the one that wasn't set off for kicks. Been getting three to 4 beaver per check in the last three checks. Takes a little longer to set up and fine the entrances but I find them to be more consistent than bait. No snares. yet. Conibears just do a better job hands down. I am not looking for a lot of beaver. So these numbers work fine to keep me in bait.

We get out of life only as much as we really want and work hard enough to achieve
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  otterman