Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Pasture trapping #6176618
03/03/18 02:44 PM
03/03/18 02:44 PM
Louisiana
C
Crawfish Trappah Offline OP
trapper
Crawfish Trappah  Offline OP
trapper
C

Louisiana
I set a big cow pasture yesterday. I have never really trapped a pasture with cows in it. This place is basically a square with woods on 3 side and a road on the access side along with the rancher's house. There are no interior pens or gates. The fencing is all 5 strand barbed wire. There is a creek that runs through the pasture with a few trees. It is pretty non-decript. No haul roads ot right of ways that iintersect the pasture from neighboring properties. I know for a fact there is a good population of coyotes. We heard 2 seperate packs on either side of the pasture at dark last night and the rancher has shot 3-4 since Christmas. My problem is I found it sort of difficult to figure out where to set in the pasture. The tracks we saw were in the cow trails and a few tracks at a creek crossing. I was really only pleased with about half of the sets that I made..The other half felt more like I was trying to keep the cows from stepping on them rather than being on the X. Any general tips for pasture location would be appreciated...I am generally a road trapper.

Re: Pasture trapping [Re: Crawfish Trappah] #6176641
03/03/18 03:29 PM
03/03/18 03:29 PM
Ks
Flint Hill fur Offline
trapper
Flint Hill fur  Offline
trapper

Ks
Tuff pasture to trap it sounds like
Of course along both sides of the creek or waterway would b a start. When I worry about cattle I get the shovel out. Made some big step down dirt hole sets. Good eye appeal and cattle tend to not stomp them if down a few inches. Also best to not let cattle watch you put sets in. They will be curious and as soon as you leave they will investigate

Re: Pasture trapping [Re: Crawfish Trappah] #6176767
03/03/18 07:00 PM
03/03/18 07:00 PM
Southwest Michigan
M
Michigan Trappin Offline
trapper
Michigan Trappin  Offline
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
Just outside the pasture where the creek comes onto and leaves the pasture, put one or two traps on bothe sides at both locations

Outside pasture wherever the coyotes are coming and going from the pasture

Every day is a gift from GOD, don't waste it!!

If they have plenty of food, give them something interesting to smell
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91