ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Black Pocket Gophers #3176687
06/07/12 07:53 AM
06/07/12 07:53 AM
MN
TheAlmostIowaKid Offline OP
trapper
TheAlmostIowaKid  Offline OP
trapper

MN
I noticed that I catch two different colors of pocket gophers, and I was wondering if they are two different kinds of gophers of just a different color variation?
Here are some pictures of the colors.

Thanks

Re: Black Pocket Gophers [Re: TheAlmostIowaKid] #3176820
06/07/12 09:54 AM
06/07/12 09:54 AM
Gainesville, Alachua, Florida,...
Robb Russell Offline
trapper
Robb Russell  Offline
trapper

Gainesville, Alachua, Florida,...
The Plains Pocket Gopher Geomys bursarius

This is the only Geomys species found in the North as far as most of Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, and Oklahoma

http://trapperrobb.com/nuisance-wildlife-trappers-directory/wildlife-information/pocket-gophers/

Depending on where you live in Minnesota like near the ND line you may have caught the Northern Pocket Gopher (Thomomys talpoides) is found in British Columbia, Alberta, Sasketewan, Manitoba in Canada and in North and South Dakota, Washington, Oregon, Utah, extreme NE California, Idaho, Nevada, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona.

Soil type can affect the color of fur too! Our red clay makes for some pretty red stained gophers yet I don't believe they are not a true species variation here. Maybe Steve Albano can add to this.

FYI:

Pockets gophers have been classified in three distinct genera .

Geomys- These pocket gophers have large and strong foreclaws; very small eyes; two grooves on upper incisors.

Thomyms- These pocket gophers have small forelegs and slender foreclaws; small eyes and no grooves on upper incisors. They have incisors that are very pronounced and stick out.

Cratogeomys- Very large upper and lower incisors, large strong foreclaws medium sized eyes and have one groove on incisors.

You will get your own answer if you look at the upper incisors and see if they have or do not have grooves.

Find Our Podcasts @ http://www.thewildlifepro.net
Re: Black Pocket Gophers [Re: TheAlmostIowaKid] #3176911
06/07/12 11:15 AM
06/07/12 11:15 AM
Redwood City,California
S
SteveAlbano Offline
trapper
SteveAlbano  Offline
trapper
S

Redwood City,California
Gophers vary a lot in color, even in the same species in the same area. These three were caught within 100 feet of each other.

Last edited by SteveAlban; 06/07/12 11:15 AM.
Re: Black Pocket Gophers [Re: TheAlmostIowaKid] #3176915
06/07/12 11:20 AM
06/07/12 11:20 AM
southern Minnesota
BUD25 Offline
trapper
BUD25  Offline
trapper

southern Minnesota
awesome photo Steve!

Bud's Nuisance Wildlife Removal LLC
www.budstrapco.com
www.trappinmoles.com
Re: Black Pocket Gophers [Re: TheAlmostIowaKid] #3177139
06/07/12 02:35 PM
06/07/12 02:35 PM
MN
TheAlmostIowaKid Offline OP
trapper
TheAlmostIowaKid  Offline OP
trapper

MN
Thanks for the information, I had never thought about the soil having a affect on the color. I will check for the tooth grooves on the next one I catch.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread