ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Muskrat trapping problems #5923929
06/09/17 10:19 PM
06/09/17 10:19 PM
Indiana
G
GW02 Offline OP
trapper
GW02  Offline OP
trapper
G

Indiana
Hi all. I have several frustrating muskrat jobs going right now.

Job 1: 2 acre retention pond, homeowner sees the general areas where the rats are coming and going. The pond banks have many, many holes and much of the bank is undercut. Lots of large fish and turtles also using the holes. 3-5ft of algae muck making it difficult to see runs.

Set two 110s on a point where the owner has seen them. Also put a floating trap w/apple and lure in the same area -- nothing. Across the pond I've fenced off a 12ft area w/chicken wire and colony traps under a willow tree where a muskrat has been seeing going in and out of. Again, nothing.

I'm at a loss, not sure what else to do.

Job 2: This one really sucks. 1/4 acre pond filled w/arrowhead plants and 2' of anti-erosion fabric all the way around. One side has a block wall now choked with trees and vegetation so no way to it from the bank. The bank drops off to 8-10' just past the fabric out so pretty much impossible to walk in the water. Didn't see any dens along the open side, but the arrowheads are thick. Short of trying to set traps from a kayak on the wall side, not sure how to approach this. I've trapped here before successfully, but it's very overgrown now.

Job 3: Also really sucks. Rats are denning under an old willow tree stump that creates a point right next to a 3' culvert. No easy way to set traps as the bank drops off making the water too deep and the den is in the tree roots. No obvious runs to and from the water, and 3-4' of algae bloom. I have no clue what do to here.

Again, I've never had luck with any sort of floating trap in the summer, no matter what I put in it or where I set it.

With an abundance of natural food right now, is there anything that will entice them into/onto a trap?

I'm just losing money every day on these jobs..........thanks for any ideas!

Re: Muskrat trapping problems [Re: GW02] #5924026
06/10/17 03:40 AM
06/10/17 03:40 AM
Pa
D
Death dealer Offline
trapper
Death dealer  Offline
trapper
D

Pa
Job 1 set the many many bank holes and the undercut bank
Job 2 you said you trapped here successfully in the past just use the same tactics
Job 3 set the culvert with colony traps

Last edited by Death dealer; 06/10/17 03:40 AM.
Re: Muskrat trapping problems [Re: GW02] #5924118
06/10/17 09:14 AM
06/10/17 09:14 AM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
set the slides

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Muskrat trapping problems [Re: GW02] #5929986
06/17/17 09:50 AM
06/17/17 09:50 AM
Wyoming
S
Starvalleytrappe Offline
trapper
Starvalleytrappe  Offline
trapper
S

Wyoming
Blind set slides and make mock slides. Can use a gland lure
Definitely set the culvert.
I use hagz brackets and spring clips on fiberglass fencepoles as well.

Wyoming fur trader

chrismhcc@yahoo.com
Re: Muskrat trapping problems [Re: GW02] #5930002
06/17/17 10:06 AM
06/17/17 10:06 AM
Wyoming
S
Starvalleytrappe Offline
trapper
trapper
S

Wyoming
I would also suggest not doing a per critter type fee on summer time small pond type trapping. I have learned it doesn't pan out most times. I flat rate muskrats myself

Last edited by Starvalleytrappe; 06/17/17 10:06 AM.

Wyoming fur trader

chrismhcc@yahoo.com
Re: Muskrat trapping problems [Re: GW02] #5930087
06/17/17 12:28 PM
06/17/17 12:28 PM
Washington
wildflights Offline
trapper
wildflights  Offline
trapper

Washington
What kind of damage do muskrats cause?
We have so few of them around here it is tough to imagine someone paying for trapping them.

Last edited by wildflights; 06/17/17 12:28 PM.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. -Gustav Mahler
Re: Muskrat trapping problems [Re: wildflights] #5930144
06/17/17 03:04 PM
06/17/17 03:04 PM
Wyoming
S
Starvalleytrappe Offline
trapper
trapper
S

Wyoming
Originally Posted By: wildflights
What kind of damage do muskrats cause?
We have so few of them around here it is tough to imagine someone paying for trapping them.
they eat vegetation, ruin pond liners, pump wires and collapse shoreline

Wyoming fur trader

chrismhcc@yahoo.com
Re: Muskrat trapping problems [Re: GW02] #5930486
06/18/17 07:53 AM
06/18/17 07:53 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
I would suggest making a trip or two over to the pond at dusk to do a watch to determine the population and where the den site and preferred feed areas are located.

This will be time well spent under low population conditions and sometimes poor water conditions. We encounter this situation on many golf courses and private ponds it seems. Algae and duck weed can obstruct location of den sites and other sign that is helpful in selecting your set up areas.

If ducks and waterfowl aren't an issue I have been using the fiberglass rods with trap supports pushed into the bottom in various areas of the pond. Using a white visual slice of parsnip or turnip as the bait and add some rat gland lure or food call lure to some fiber fill. Set the trap below the water about 2 inches.

Determining the rats swimming wakes where they begin just after leaving the den and their preferred swimming lanes when they first come out in the evening will be good information to help you speed up the job.

Scent use is your best option with visuals when you cant find den sites, feed beds and toilet stations Never had much if any success with float sets.

Re: Muskrat trapping problems [Re: Bob Jameson] #5930608
06/18/17 11:19 AM
06/18/17 11:19 AM
Wyoming
S
Starvalleytrappe Offline
trapper
trapper
S

Wyoming
Originally Posted By: Bob Jameson
I would suggest making a trip or two over to the pond at dusk to do a watch to determine the population and where the den site and preferred feed areas are located.

This will be time well spent under low population conditions and sometimes poor water conditions. We encounter this situation on many golf courses and private ponds it seems. Algae and duck weed can obstruct location of den sites and other sign that is helpful in selecting your set up areas.

If ducks and waterfowl aren't an issue I have been using the fiberglass rods with trap supports pushed into the bottom in various areas of the pond. Using a white visual slice of parsnip or turnip as the bait and add some rat gland lure or food call lure to some fiber fill. Set the trap below the water about 2 inches.

Determining the rats swimming wakes where they begin just after leaving the den and their preferred swimming lanes when they first come out in the evening will be good information to help you speed up the job.

Scent use is your best option with visuals when you cant find den sites, feed beds and toilet stations Never had much if any success with float sets.

Good post

One question I have:
If ducks are present then you wouldn't use a hagz bracket(or similiar) setup? I ask because I have found that setup to be one of the best for NOT catching waterfowl. The trap is tight to the pole and the ducks have longer necks as well.
Anyway, just interested in hearing if I'm missing something or not
Thanks

Wyoming fur trader

chrismhcc@yahoo.com
Re: Muskrat trapping problems [Re: GW02] #5930667
06/18/17 12:43 PM
06/18/17 12:43 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Water fowl can always present an interference problem. You can minimize the incidental catches but they can occur if you have considerable activity. Some of these types of jobs can be challenging due to the many variables that must be deal with.

Re: Muskrat trapping problems [Re: GW02] #5932997
06/21/17 08:18 PM
06/21/17 08:18 PM
Indiana
G
GW02 Offline OP
trapper
GW02  Offline OP
trapper
G

Indiana
Thanks for all the suggestions. Waterfowl are present all the time so no Hagz (although I like them).

The property is 25 miles away so not going there at dusk to watch. The homeowners tell me where they're swimming and I've set traps there with no luck. I've set anything that looks like a slide and caught nothing.

Yesterday I took a shovel to every hole and collapsed and packed each one down. Tomorrow I'll go back and see where they're coming and going, THEN set traps.

As for the other job with the dense bank, I told my customer I couldn't get in there to set traps until it's been thinned down and the poison ivy so they're having the landscaping company tackle it. :-)

Re: Muskrat trapping problems [Re: GW02] #5933012
06/21/17 08:32 PM
06/21/17 08:32 PM
Indiana
G
GW02 Offline OP
trapper
GW02  Offline OP
trapper
G

Indiana
Oh yeah and did use lure on a slice of apple, they never went near it.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread