ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Too Few Paying Gigs #3210450
07/03/12 07:47 AM
07/03/12 07:47 AM
Dudley NC
M
Muddawg Offline OP
trapper
Muddawg  Offline OP
trapper
M

Dudley NC
I'd say that fewer than 10 percent of the wildlife calls I get actually result in paying jobs.

The rule here in North Carolina is that the offending critter must be causing damage before depredation permits can be issued and the critter removed. Then there is the definition of damage that must be considered. But I'm getting so sick and tired of stupid people calling me to come catch a fox simply because he walked across their back yard. People just don't know the difference between a wildlife problem and a viewing opportunity.

Then there are the calls where they get my number from either the Wildlife Resource Commission or from the county animal shelter and when the find out that I charge to come out they hang up. They think I'm supposed to be a government provided service.

I had a call last week from a lady who found a baby owl in the road and thought I was a Wildlife Rescue person because she got my number from the vets office.

How do you avoid these time consuming no profit calls?

Then there are those who take matters in their own hands regardless of legalities. They trap and relocate or shoot critters on sight. We don't have enough game wardens here to address this problem. I even have a close friend of mine who's Dad declares war on squirrels ever summer. He has traps out continuously and relocates what he catches without any permission from land owners. He just simply drives them down the road a mile or two and dumps them out. Now we have a bunch of trap shy problem squirrels eating carrots in someones else's garden.

Or, the guys out there trapping any and every thing with no license or certification of any kind but they seam to be the ones with all the paying business. This is REALLY irritating!

What do you do when you hear of someone doing these things?

How do you weed out the "no go" calls and get more of the paying work?

Muddawg
Re: Too Few Paying Gigs [Re: Muddawg] #3210502
07/03/12 08:52 AM
07/03/12 08:52 AM
Florida
WTWC Offline
trapper
WTWC  Offline
trapper

Florida
No way to stop them from calling. Just tell them up front that you charge for your services. I usually refer them to a rehab facility or drop point just for good PR. They are happy for the info and remember your name.
I used to do ADC work in the Raleigh Triangle area. I used to charge a service/inspection fee to go out and show them how to avoid having wildlife in their yards. I wouldn't trap them if they were there for their bird feeder or pet food. Man, I sure don't miss filling out all those permits for each animal. No need down here in Florida. I believe the majority of squirrels do not survive relocation. I only one time saw a bald squirrel around my office that I'd relocated (smacking his head on the cage). I'm having trouble with trap shy coons down here. Several jobs in a row now. I'm to the point where I just go in and grab the babies and try to scare her out now.

Eventually, once you grow, you have someone else fielding those calls or at least I did. I was just called by a news station to remove a rabid raccoon. At the end of the interview they said that I did it completely free of charge. It's more than doubled my free calls now. All for a bit of free advertising. When asked why I came out to help the people on a Friday night I told her. It's because you called me. They in return edited the worst comment from an earlier conversation and threw it in as my answer.

Re: Too Few Paying Gigs [Re: Muddawg] #3210513
07/03/12 09:00 AM
07/03/12 09:00 AM
somewhere in the middle of MT
D
DAVE SALYS-CWCP Offline
trapper
DAVE SALYS-CWCP  Offline
trapper
D

somewhere in the middle of MT
After ten years I finally dropped my Yellow Pages sub listing under "animal control" the "I found a baby this and baby that" calls stopped almost 100%. YP did give me a new sub listing under "trapping services" just to try something new. With a well built web site and my main listing under pest control I'm as busy as I want to be. Muddawg any referral you get from a governmaent agency has the potential to give people the idea you do this as an extended government service. It's just part of the game.

Re: Too Few Paying Gigs [Re: Muddawg] #3211317
07/03/12 07:26 PM
07/03/12 07:26 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
Ditto what my fellow CWCP said. I always knew he was a fart smeller smart feller. As WCO's we are similar in some way to rehabbers, PCO's, fur trappers and ACO's (animal control officers), yet we occupy our own unique niche. It's very frustrating to have to deal with the "I thought you worked for the county" types; your advertising/marketing can help reduce that aggravation.

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: Too Few Paying Gigs [Re: Muddawg] #3211485
07/03/12 09:29 PM
07/03/12 09:29 PM
Dudley NC
M
Muddawg Offline OP
trapper
Muddawg  Offline OP
trapper
M

Dudley NC
Yeah, I've seriously considered having my name and number taken off of the states web site. The animal shelter calls do give me a some profit, though.

I've not done any yellow page adds as yet. I was leaning more to a web page but have no idea how to set that up or what it would cost.

I like the idea of a web page because you can get as simple or as in depth as you want. I could list all my services as well as rates.

The biggest thing I do know is that I need a LOT of advertising!

Muddawg
Re: Too Few Paying Gigs [Re: Muddawg] #3211532
07/03/12 09:54 PM
07/03/12 09:54 PM
Dayton, OH
trapper4hire Offline
trapper
trapper4hire  Offline
trapper

Dayton, OH
I would talk to robb russel about website if i were you.

Advanced Wildlife Managememnt
www.daytonwildlifepro.com
Chris O'Banion
NTA Life Member
OSTA Life Member
Re: Too Few Paying Gigs [Re: Muddawg] #3211549
07/03/12 10:01 PM
07/03/12 10:01 PM
Dudley NC
M
Muddawg Offline OP
trapper
Muddawg  Offline OP
trapper
M

Dudley NC
Robb Russel? Who is he and how do I get in touch with him?

Muddawg
Re: Too Few Paying Gigs [Re: Muddawg] #3211565
07/03/12 10:09 PM
07/03/12 10:09 PM
Dayton, OH
trapper4hire Offline
trapper
trapper4hire  Offline
trapper

Dayton, OH
do a search for hime hes all over the adc forum

Chris O'Banion
NTA Life Member
OSTA Life Member
Re: Too Few Paying Gigs [Re: Muddawg] #3212265
07/04/12 12:19 PM
07/04/12 12:19 PM
Ohio
D
D_Upchurch Offline
trapper
D_Upchurch  Offline
trapper
D

Ohio
Try godaddy.com
Its is fairly simple and they provide lots of customer services.

I would rather fail at something I love doing than succeed at something I hate. -George Burns.

SIC DIS PARA PACA BELLUM
Re: Too Few Paying Gigs [Re: Muddawg] #3212314
07/04/12 01:00 PM
07/04/12 01:00 PM
West, Mi
W
wiggler Offline
"Skunk Wrangler"
wiggler  Offline
"Skunk Wrangler"
W

West, Mi
websites in my area are a waste of money. unless your spending a ton of money to stay on the first page of google it isnt worth it. my calls mostly come through the animal shelters, police depts, yellow pages get alot of hits.. and put business cards EVERYWHERE! i get a ton of calls from people who pick my card off the bulletin boards at grocery stores and gas stations. plus everyone i work for gets at least 3 business cards to pass around. newspaper ads in my area stink... the websites stink.. billboards are to pricey. i still have a website.. but i cant remember the last time i got a call off it. last year i think.

Re: Too Few Paying Gigs [Re: Muddawg] #3212365
07/04/12 01:42 PM
07/04/12 01:42 PM
New York
P
ponyboy Offline
trapper
ponyboy  Offline
trapper
P

New York
Trapping is like other jobs. Pay your dues...... Put your time in and in 10 or twenty years you will have plenty of work. Of course Marketing is important also.

Last edited by ponyboy; 07/04/12 01:43 PM.
Re: Too Few Paying Gigs [Re: Muddawg] #3213019
07/04/12 10:59 PM
07/04/12 10:59 PM

D
DaveK
Unregistered
DaveK
Unregistered
D

Naw....not the area

Re: Too Few Paying Gigs [Re: Muddawg] #3213278
07/05/12 09:43 AM
07/05/12 09:43 AM
Dayton, OH
trapper4hire Offline
trapper
trapper4hire  Offline
trapper

Dayton, OH
I'm not from michigan. but internet advertizing is effective when done properly. just having a website is not "advertizing". traffic has to be pushed towards it either organically ( talk to R Russel i understand hes the man when it comes to that) or by paying for clicks. a website that just sits there with no traffic is worthless. furthermorre the website needs to be nice enough to convince prospective clients to CALL YOU.

Wiggler, I did a little googleing, and your website regularly is ranked 5th or lower. you might want to try modifying how you direct traffic to your site. the top 3 listings getlike 90% of the calls. it may be worth looking into. I'm not picking at you, just contructive criticism, in responce to your previous post.

Chris O'Banion
NTA Life Member
OSTA Life Member
Re: Too Few Paying Gigs [Re: Muddawg] #3214315
07/05/12 10:43 PM
07/05/12 10:43 PM
Dudley NC
M
Muddawg Offline OP
trapper
Muddawg  Offline OP
trapper
M

Dudley NC
Thanks, guys.

I think I've got something I can run with here.

Muddawg
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread