ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Bat guano removal #6161243
02/18/18 02:45 AM
02/18/18 02:45 AM
Michigan
coonlove Offline OP
trapper
coonlove  Offline OP
trapper

Michigan
Can I get some recommendations on respirators/equipment that I should have, before starting this clean up? Thanks!

"I'm the paterfamilias"
Re: Bat guano removal [Re: coonlove] #6161542
02/18/18 01:18 PM
02/18/18 01:18 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
I’m just going to toss a few things out here for you, I’m sure there are some deep posts on this.

1) how much guano? A coffee cup full or 6-12” across entire attic?

2) though people differ on respirators most that do this would agree you are at a minimum
going to be using a 1/2 face quality rubber mask with changeable filters in the P100 level for
particles.

(Insulation, dust, and yes reducing risk of histoplasmosis for you and your co workers.

3) blown insulation existing now or fiberglass batts?

4) read this if you never have before : https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/2005-109/

5) after reading that you’ll know not to say you can remove kill or disinfect guano to remove histoplasmosis.
That is still the case all these years laterand I still hear of folks being told their wildlife or pest guys are saying
they can kill histo... you’ll see formaldehyde as the only thing that’s ever killed it in a lab.

6) mechanically many ways to remove it in terms of actually physically removing guano. But what way
to do it professionally and give you and your clients the best available removal.

7). How entering the space where the guano is, how leaving with materials. All to reduce airborne dust and
limit liabilities, etc....

8) if people are expecting no odor if they have it currently be careful on what you promise, removing odor can
be a whole level beyond and still have limitations.

7) many folks who lurk or are on here for decades now have been doing this longer than I have so I’m sure you’ll get
some good info. I’ve learned before I started from Eric Arnold, people like Ron Scheller and others who contribute on
here and are decades into this type of work.

***on last thing - respirators should step you into get fit tested and knowing you are healthy enough to be wearing
one and that you know how to keep a solid seal on the mask. Things like facial hair and talking a lot can blow the seal
and cause you to inhale insulation bits and all kinds of micro particles.

I say this as a former wildlife disease biologist who was trained in “hot” settings for serious viruses and pathogens
who had to get fit tested before I could start using a respirator of be a first responder.

You only get one chance at your health sometimes, it’s worth talking to someone about respirators and getting best for you.

Look also at PAPR respirators, they provide fresh air and are more expensive but are worth evaluating.

There are more things to all this of course more info for what you are facing in terms of home, church, amount of guano, etc..
will get you better answers.

Just my .02.

There’s also lots of debate about when a client asks do we need the entire attic insulation removed
or just the 2x2’ area with the guano on it? Everyone has their own opinion and that’s more debate than
hard and fast rules.

Re: Bat guano removal [Re: coonlove] #6163548
02/20/18 01:35 AM
02/20/18 01:35 AM
Michigan
coonlove Offline OP
trapper
coonlove  Offline OP
trapper

Michigan
Thank you. This was helpful. To clarify I’m asking this about a home I just purchased. And will need to clean up. I’m not sure yet how deep it is, as it’s blown insulation and lofted in areas. But I’d guess at least a couple inches deep over an 12’x12’ area. Thanks for your help, I’ll check into the further resources.

"I'm the paterfamilias"
Re: Bat guano removal [Re: coonlove] #6163613
02/20/18 05:56 AM
02/20/18 05:56 AM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
PM send Coonlove, thanks for clarifying your home not a clients. and size of area, good info.

Re: Bat guano removal [Re: coonlove] #6165725
02/21/18 09:23 PM
02/21/18 09:23 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
I used the style with the 2 can filters and very snug fit

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread