Wildcrafting

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~Trapperman.com Live
Trap Chat~Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar
Photo Gallery~Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Wildcrafting
Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulator Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Print Thread
Hop To
Autumn Olives #3308362
09/05/12 11:30 PM
09/05/12 11:30 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline OP
trapper
KeithC  Offline OP
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Has anyone else made any jelly, jam or juice with Autumn olives. I only learned they were edible a couple of years ago and I frequently eat them while deer hunting.

We picked about 2 pounds of Autumn olives a few weeks ago and about 4 pounds today. They are very abundant here, but they are so small it takes a long time to get enough to do anything with.

I like the flavor of them. They are both tart and sweet. They are very high in lycopene and I have seen nurseries selling them as lycopene berries. They are also a pretty nasty invasive plant.

Here's a picture of the first batch we picked.

Keith

Re: Autumn Olives [Re: KeithC] #3310139
09/06/12 09:46 PM
09/06/12 09:46 PM
PA
G
gryhkl Offline
trapper
gryhkl  Offline
trapper
G

PA
I didn't know they were edible. They'd have to be really good to make up for the the way they take over any clearing that is not kept mowed.

Hope some one posts some recipes

Re: Autumn Olives [Re: KeithC] #3378476
10/20/12 09:05 AM
10/20/12 09:05 AM
Ohio
H
HerbWise Offline
trapper
HerbWise  Offline
trapper
H

Ohio
My wife loves these things. Her friend freezes them for future snacking. I'm sure they'd make a good jam but don't know of anyone who has done it. Next year she'll do some experimenting she says and post recipes for everyone smile If anyone has extra frozen and wants to sell 'em to us she says she could do some recipe fixin' sooner than later. PM if so...she's a good cook

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread