Fur Handling Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

>
Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Fur Handling Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Fur Handling to Improve tannery results #6261270
06/16/18 10:44 PM
06/16/18 10:44 PM
Adirondacks NY
F
Forest Offline OP
trapper
Forest  Offline OP
trapper
F

Adirondacks NY
I sent my fur to tannery (tubari) for the first time and was a little disappointed that the faces turned out so weird shaped.
1 I concluded that everything including coon should be turned like a canine during drying process. A lot of my coon turned out with broad square faces (I assume from being turned inside out.)
2 the ears didn’t turn out to great. I don’t remember if I pinned them out while drying or not. But I’d imagine that would help. I did not strip out the cartalage from the inside of the ear (as described in the NAFA fur handling manual), because I am not very good at it. I only lost fur on one fox’s ears (which had fur loss all over the head for some reason). I’d imagine taking all the cartalage out right up to the tips of the ears would cause them to scrunch up even more.
3 Can I rehydrate the face area with water and reshape them? I seem to remember reading someone saying this at some
point.

Any other advice for next time is appreciated.

Paul Smiths Forestry ‘22
Re: Fur Handling to Improve tannery results [Re: Forest] #6261328
06/17/18 01:29 AM
06/17/18 01:29 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Flesh the faces (and turn the ears on canines),excess flesh on the faces causes longer drying as well as longer rehydration times prior to tanning, which can lead to slippage in those areas.

You can wet the leather,and reshape the pelt.

Last edited by Boco; 06/17/18 01:30 AM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Fur Handling to Improve tannery results [Re: Forest] #6261329
06/17/18 01:35 AM
06/17/18 01:35 AM
Adirondacks NY
F
Forest Offline OP
trapper
Forest  Offline OP
trapper
F

Adirondacks NY
Thanks