Home

Kill the Can

Posted By: Riverman-

Kill the Can - 03/26/14 12:58 PM

I, like many dippers have tried numerous times to quit. I have tried everything and it has never worked. I havent gone more than a day without dip in the last 7 years. The reason I havent been able to quit is because I didnt want to. I told everyone I did want to quit, but I never meant it. This Friday however, I will quit. It is going to be very difficult, but I will do it. Just thought I'd let everyone know smile
Posted By: Riverotter2

Re: Kill the Can - 03/26/14 01:05 PM

You can do it for sure. I chew over 30 years and put down my last pack of Red Man back in Oct and ain't had any since. Tell you like it is, its hard. I'm all for you.
Posted By: Born

Re: Kill the Can - 03/26/14 01:06 PM

The easiest way to quit is to not buy another can. It worked for me.
Posted By: waveslider

Re: Kill the Can - 03/26/14 01:24 PM

Riverman, its not that hard and you're right. If you want to quit you don't need patches, gum or a 12 step program to quit. Its a one-step program to quit and its really that easy. Step #1 - Quit

The 'habit' is more difficult to kick than the jones.

When you stop and you've gone x # of weeks or months or years you will be like "man, what's all the fuss about"?

Just stop, that's all there is to it. Nothing more.
Posted By: yodeldog101

Re: Kill the Can - 03/26/14 01:27 PM

Go for it Riverman you can do it! I quit and chewed seeds and Big Red gum to help me quit...been 23 yrs ago now!
Posted By: sparkyd

Re: Kill the Can - 03/26/14 01:30 PM

I wish you lots of luck riverman-. I had to buy the local gym a new kick bag when I quit, duck tape no longer would patch it. That was in 93, I still crave skoal and copenhagen from time to time. And it is still hard to resist the urge. The other day over at the fur buyer his youngest son held a can of cherry skoal under my nose and well the urge was just almost unbearable. Stay very busy is the best advice I can give you don't slow down enough to get bored.
Posted By: Scott Knupp

Re: Kill the Can - 03/26/14 01:31 PM

You are correct. You just have to want to do it, like most things in life. Quit 9 years ago this June after about 9 years of a can a day. The first month was tough. After that I still missed it when I saw it or smelled it for about a year. After a couple of years, you don't even think about it. Finally decided I had quit long enough that I had no risk of going back last year and had a couple thousand dollars of skin graphs done on my lower gums to keep from loosing teeth. That is the really scary part. It's easy to be in denial about what it does to you. Some people get lucky and have minimal health affects, but most aren't that lucky. It's nasty stuff. If you need help quitting, go to your local health department and pick up one of the free pamphlets they have on gum deseases and cancers. Carry that around with you and look at the nasty pictures in it when you feel the urge to dip!

Re: Kill the Can - 03/26/14 01:35 PM

It also helped me to just say to myself..YUCK...every time I saw someone taking a chew..
Posted By: Scott Knupp

Re: Kill the Can - 03/26/14 01:35 PM

The hardest part for me was driving. I drive about 30K miles a year. Always chewed while driving. Quit chewing and started drinking soda. Now I have a bad caffeine habit. Still not healty, but better than the dip. Try to pick up a healthy habit as you quit the bad one!
Posted By: trappertom52

Re: Kill the Can - 03/26/14 02:04 PM

Don't dwell on the pleasure of dipping, think about your teeth falling out. Oral cancer- It can happen to you! Best of luck.
Posted By: bassbum

Re: Kill the Can - 03/26/14 02:18 PM

I quit 6 years ago for my birthday present to myself. Best one I ever received. When I quit I was up to a can a day. The way I looked at it was that every 4 cans was the same as a new MB-550 I could buy. Just think after 6 years I would be up to around 550 new traps.....
Posted By: Warmutt

Re: Kill the Can - 03/26/14 02:28 PM

I quit 8 years ago. It ain't easy. Gotta stay with it through the cravings, the bad dreams, and all the other withdrawal symptoms. Still wish dipping snuff wasn't so bad for me and wasn't so dang expensive. A voice in my head tells me a dip would be nice every now and then.
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Kill the Can - 03/26/14 02:41 PM

Good assessment and good action plan Riverman. Making the decision is the hard part.
Posted By: bobsheedy

Re: Kill the Can - 03/26/14 02:50 PM

We're all rooting for you!
Posted By: Team V

Re: Kill the Can - 03/26/14 02:55 PM

Quit over a year ago . Chewed two cans a day for 12 years . This is how i quit I bought two cans took a chew handed them to a friend that chewed and said I am done . Prepare to have some bad days . That is all they are . After about 3 weeks the nicotine will. be out of your system . The hard part is the habit . I bought some jakes mint chew and used it for 6 months to get over habit now I don't use any thing . Change your mine that it will kill you then go to the mouth cancer sites and freak your self out . Then make a dental apt for a cleaning . Have my sec cleaning at 10 this morning .
Posted By: USMC47 🦫

Re: Kill the Can - 03/26/14 03:36 PM

Dude, I quit on May 5th of last year. I'll never start again. I quit for a deployment one time - don't ask how I did that. 13 months. Then when I came home, I started again. I'll NEVER start again.

Re: Kill the Can - 03/26/14 04:25 PM

I figure there aint no benefit with the stuff. Costed me at least 7k so far and it isnt helping my gums. The habit part will be tough, but its going to happen. I truly enjoy dipping and love the oral fixation, but its time to be done. This isnt another attempt to quit, this is the end of my nasty habit for good.
Posted By: Tracks445

Re: Kill the Can - 03/26/14 04:34 PM

Just tell yourself you can it's been over a year foe me. I used nicoret to help me took 3 months. Still ain't a day that goes by I don't want a big ol chew o Copenhagen but I just carry one and put in a peice of gum.
Posted By: woodsman324

Re: Kill the Can - 03/26/14 06:01 PM

The nicotine devil is one bad mother. I quit Copenhagen many years ago and when I see someone dipping I still want it. If they told me I only had a year left I'd run right out and buy a case of cope and a case of Backwoods cigars. Good luck bro.
Posted By: cathryn

Re: Kill the Can - 03/26/14 07:43 PM

Im curious..why arw you waiting to quit ón friday and not today? My neighbor kwpt putting put off his "quitting" cause hed just brought a fresh roll.. Hé was diagnosed with lip cancer before hé Got around to quitting. The cancer ate off half of his lower lip.

I hope youre successful in your attempt to quit.
Posted By: Pasadena

Re: Kill the Can - 03/26/14 08:44 PM

I commend you for wanting to quit, but really, why wait till Friday? If you want to quit, quit today.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Kill the Can - 03/26/14 08:47 PM

I quit the first of the year. I use the chantix. Dipped over a can a day for 20years. Put it in my mind I want to live for another 40-50 years instead of 10 or 20. I'll have to say chantix might not be for everyone but it gets my vote. Still you have to tell yourself NO! Been taking it for 3 and a half months and going to keep taking it for another 3. Good luck.
Posted By: shanenye

Re: Kill the Can - 03/26/14 08:57 PM

you have to want to stop. made the mistake of starting again last summer during my divorce. thankfully my son pushed me to stop again. you can do it.
Posted By: tbn

Re: Kill the Can - 03/26/14 09:30 PM

I am on day 7 as we speak. Been chewing for 30 some years. Smoky Mountain herbal chew and nicotine patch works like a charm.

Re: Kill the Can - 03/27/14 12:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Pasadena
I commend you for wanting to quit, but really, why wait till Friday? If you want to quit, quit today.

Because I Dont want to quit today. I want to quit on Friday. I have my mind set on Friday and that's when I'm done. Forever. I'm tired of the hurting gums and waking up every morning with a mouthful of skin floating around. Seven years of at least a can a day was good enough for me. Come Saturday I'll be a day sober smile
Posted By: Brick

Re: Kill the Can - 03/27/14 12:52 AM

Good choice riverman.. I quit cope cold turkey 5 years ago after chewing 23 years. Be prepared for mental and physical torment for a week till that nicotine drug gets outa you then its a mind game from then on . As mentioned already , that smoky mountain herbal snuff is a great replacement . Try to order a log online as it may not be available in most stores . You will get sick of the herbal snuff in time but will get through the tough times. I disagree in using any nicotine patch or gums to help ..it just extends your suffering longer ...best of luck bro

Re: Kill the Can - 03/27/14 01:00 AM

Good Luck to ya. I never set a day when I was going to quit. My 8 yr old son did. I was putting a dip in and he said, "Dad I wish you would quit". I looked at him and said "when this can is done I'll quit". After 28yrs of rubbin snuff I quit the next morning when that can was empty. That was 7yrs ago this month.
Posted By: DitchratNY

Re: Kill the Can - 03/27/14 01:50 AM

I don't get how anyone could chew that crap. That has to be one the most disgusting habits. I wish you all the luck in the world to quit.

Re: Kill the Can - 03/27/14 03:22 AM

Thanks for the encouragement guys. People that Dont dip have no idea what's its like just thinking about quiting. Makes me nervous but I'm 100% set this time. I got maybe two pinches left in this can so that's all I got for tomorrow. Then Friday comes. The big day. I can't wait smile
Posted By: coon grease

Re: Kill the Can - 03/27/14 04:42 AM

Good luck riverman , I need to do the same thing. Just haven't gotten the courage up to set a date yet. I think one of my downfalls is that I'm good at hiding it. I stick that cope right there in my fat cheek and rarely if ever spit. So its pretty convenient to do it anywhere. No one knows I'm chewing. But I have to admit that I scare myself sometimes when I wake up at night, put a chew in and go back to sleep. The stuff really has a grip on some people and I'm one of them. So I know what you mean when you say the thought of quitting scares you. Hope it goes well for you.keep us updated, you might just motivate an idiot like me to finally quit.
Posted By: On a Call

Re: Kill the Can - 03/27/14 04:50 AM

Be sure not to flip out on those you care for !!

Staying busy is a good thing...but that only lasts for a while.. It will not be easy...but if you stick with it...you will win !

Best of luck brother....

Just prayed for you

Re: Kill the Can - 03/27/14 04:55 AM

Originally Posted By: tbn
I am on day 7 as we speak. Been chewing for 30 some years. Smoky Mountain herbal chew and nicotine patch works like a charm.

good for your choice...but you will have to give up the nicotine patch...do it a little at a time. You will still go through withdraw however.
Posted By: OutdoorDad

Re: Kill the Can - 03/27/14 04:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Riverman-
People that Dont dip have no idea what's its like just thinking about quiting.

THAT'S the truth!!! My wife has been on me for years to quit. I've had the habit for 17 years. I just bought a log today, but I'm going to log off here and google some images of mouth disease and cancers. I quit for 3 months (but considering I started back up, I guess I didn't really quit) back in 2004. I think it's time to quit too. So, Friday? Is that the day? I'll stop with ya. Anyone else want to quit? We can have the only forum on the web with a bunch of really [Please excuse my language... I'm an idiot] off quitters. HA HA!

Re: Kill the Can - 03/27/14 05:07 AM

Hey the wagon has plenty of room.

Grab a seat, we can win this war.
Posted By: RobertonNE

Re: Kill the Can - 03/27/14 05:15 AM

I actually just quit on the 15 of this month. My can ran out at about 10 pm and I thought to myself what the [Please excuse my language... I'm an idiot] why not, and if it gets too bad I can always buy a can. The next day stopped at the gas station and insted of chew bought a pack of gum and some sunflower seeds. The first 5 days sucked for me my mouth started to hurt places I never noticed before had a horrible headache but I just kept thinking if this is all the worse it is I can do this this is nothing I just keep telling myself that it's not that hard and the benifits will far outweigh these few days that suck. I hope I can keep it up because it may not seem like very long since I stopped but I feel very proud of myself each day. Just remember you have to do it for yourself not your kids, wife, family or whoever, but yourself so when things get bad you can't put the blame on anyone but yourself.

Re: Kill the Can - 03/27/14 05:20 AM

Starting anyone can do...quitting is tough..
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Kill the Can - 03/27/14 05:27 AM

Its good to set a "quit" day.

You can do it. I was a three pack cigarette smoker and decided it was time to quit. I dipped Kodiak instead of smoking cigarettes. I dipped for many years, then decided to change to chewing tobacco. I chewed redman for a number of years. Then I decided to quit that and went to wriggly's bubble gum. I did that about 12 years or so ago and am cured. I'll have the occasional cigar, but I don't crave tobacco at all, nor do I wish to chew bubble gum - lol.

Good luck
Posted By: Dale Torma

Re: Kill the Can - 03/27/14 07:16 AM

One guy at work had his lower face cut off due to cancer from Copenhagen. Enough to get me to leave it alone.

Re: Kill the Can - 03/27/14 11:11 AM

Paul...three packs a day ?? Wow that is amazing.

Re: Kill the Can - 03/27/14 02:40 PM

Originally Posted By: OutdoorDad
People that Dont dip have no idea what's its like just thinking about quiting.

THAT'S the truth!!! I think it's time to quit too. So, Friday? Is that the day? I'll stop with ya. Anyone else want to quit? We can have the only forum on the web with a bunch of really [Please excuse my language... I'm an idiot] off quitters. HA HA!

Today is my last day. I got a nice one in now. Im not going to lie, I'm really going to miss it. I feel like a drug addict and I think thats exactly what I am. Dip is a drug, and its time to give it up. Tomorrow I will have no dip and I asked my coworkers to make sure they dont give me any if I ask. But Im not going to. Im 100% set on it this time and Im going to quit this nasty habit.
Posted By: Trap21

Re: Kill the Can - 03/27/14 04:16 PM

I decided last night to stop.... My headache right now is insane!
Posted By: Tim trapper

Re: Kill the Can - 03/27/14 04:22 PM

If you quitters get your own forum it won't be kid friendly- lol
I'm addicted too.....
My old man offered me 1000 bucks to quit.....
Tim B
Posted By: meltnmetal

Re: Kill the Can - 03/27/14 04:33 PM

I quit yesterday after reading this. Quit for two years and started back up a year ago. No better time than the present I guess

Re: Kill the Can - 03/27/14 08:55 PM

Bout the second pack of sunflower seeds today

Re: Kill the Can - 03/27/14 09:42 PM

On a call, my nicotine patch was the first 2 days,6 days now just herbal chew. I quit once for 3 years,and like an idiot,I started again. This is my final,no turning back point. Anybody can quit,you just have to figure out what works. I could not just quit cold turkey. My body is used to it and has for 30 years plus,can't just quit without some withdrawls. The patch works because you wean yourself off of the tobacco in your mouth,you still get the feel with the herbal but it isn't destroying the gums. This system works well.
Posted By: bigshane

Re: Kill the Can - 03/27/14 09:44 PM

Prayers sent
Posted By: Sparks

Re: Kill the Can - 03/27/14 10:08 PM

YES Kill the can . After 40 years I quit as my birthday present to myself I AM SO GLAD that I did You will be too it wont be easy but it is soo worth it If I can I know you can ! GO FOR IT
Posted By: Aaron Proffitt

Re: Kill the Can - 03/27/14 10:20 PM

Haven't reached that point , yet.

Re: Kill the Can - 03/27/14 10:44 PM

The smokey mountain herbal snuff is odd but strangely it helps...

Re: Kill the Can - 03/27/14 11:24 PM

Just spit out my last pinch. My quit date is tomorrow. I may start early and be done for the night! (Unless someone happens to stop by and offer me one last cancer filled, fiberglass ball of worm dirt wink

I would say "good luck" to anyone wanting to quit or in the process of quitting, but you don't need luck. You just have to want it bad enough. If you want to quit, you will. If you want to better yourself, then you got to own it, and stick to it. I will say good luck to the lifers though. I was in your shoes at one point. I used to tell myself that I would never quit and I would just deal with the consequences. One day it just hit me that its time, and boys, Its been real.
Posted By: Outlaw99

Re: Kill the Can - 03/27/14 11:57 PM

Anybody get to the point with cope snuff that u just can't taste it anymore, I've been that way about a year now, after chewing it for about 18yrs, can a day. Maybe I'll try quitting tomm.....might be tuff, never tried quittin it before
Posted By: whistlinwyngs

Re: Kill the Can - 03/28/14 12:28 AM

You can do it!! I Chewed snuff, and loose leaf for 30+ years, I NEVER even thought about quitting. 2 yeas ago, I decided it was time. December 16th I took my last rub. I did use the nicotine lozenges for a week, found I didn't need em. Honestly, it was one of the easiest things in the world to do. Once you make up your mind it's simple. I will also admit there are times I would like a dip, but I'm not willing to compromise what I have done so far. I also made a deal w/ myself. I didn't quit forever, since I dipped / chewed for 30 years, I'm only quiting for that long.

Stick w/ it, you can do it, and you will appreciate it once you do!!!

Re: Kill the Can - 03/28/14 12:34 AM

The ignorant thing is, I'm not even considering quitting because of the health risks......it just seems dumb to me to continue spending $50 a week on something I can no longer taste to enjoy.....essentially the last year, I've been doing it out of habit and need for nicotine....can should run out right after tomorrow mornings coffee, maybe I'll jump on this bus and give it up
Posted By: JD Nichols

Re: Kill the Can - 03/28/14 01:59 AM

I did Copenhagen for 20 years, can a day for many years. I quit cold turkey over 10 years ago. You have to want to quit. Anyone who "tries to quit" is sure to fail. There is no try to it, just QUIT. Good Luck,You can do it. One day at a time! I walked around with my tongue in by bottom lip to fill the void for a long time.
Posted By: Tyson A

Re: Kill the Can - 03/28/14 02:14 AM

I downloaded an app on my phone that gave me daily totals on the money I saved to date. It asks you how many cans you chew a day, and the average cost of the can. I really liked dipping, but I like my money and my health more. Food tastes better, your not picking skin out of your mouth in the morning, and you feel better. You'd be shocked as to how much you spend on chew when you get a daily reminder, I know I was. Good luck to you, it's a great feeling when you no longer crave one.
Posted By: Rickyno5

Re: Kill the Can - 03/28/14 02:18 AM

My last dip was March 5....worse decision I ever made haha! Not really, but I'm still in the "life really sucks" stage. I can't really sleep since I quit and I'm irritable and achy, but as I look at my son, I know it's the right thing because he really does want to do EVERYTHING that dad does. Both of my kids started spitting all the time around age 1 and I knew exactly why......

Re: Kill the Can - 03/28/14 02:58 AM

Those that have quit, does your gums ever heal, soreness go away, and taste come back?
Posted By: Tyson A

Re: Kill the Can - 03/28/14 03:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Outlaw99
Those that have quit, does your gums ever heal, soreness go away, and taste come back?

The 1st 3 days you'll be picking dead skin out of your mouth, I did at least. Taste came back in a week or so, no soreness, and the gums seem fine. The first 3 days were the hardest. After a week the smell of chew seemed gross and it was over after that.

Re: Kill the Can - 03/28/14 04:02 AM

Been about 6 hours lol. Time for bed. I'm lookin forward to tomorrow's struggle
Posted By: HOYT archery

Re: Kill the Can - 03/28/14 05:36 AM

August 1st was my last day, after 9 or 10 years "on the can". I am proud I quit ! You will be too. It's tough, but just quit and be done with it.

Altoids and ice breaker mints can be helpful, just so you know.
Posted By: Heavymetal

Re: Kill the Can - 03/28/14 05:50 AM

I been dipping about 30 years now, I need to quit but don't want to afraid I will start eating more and blow up like a cow! Heck I'm already over weight now..
Posted By: travisl

Re: Kill the Can - 03/28/14 10:44 AM

you can quit man, just have to want to. Ask God for help and He will provide it. I am an alcoholic and put it down May 5 last year. I've been chewing red man since I was 14-15 years old. I'm 39 now. I threw the red man down June of last year. Double set of withdrawals.lol better now. Jesus will take those habits if you ask. You'll feel a lot better after a few weeks too. No more heartburns from [Please excuse my language... I'm an idiot]. lol good luck. keep your mind busy
Posted By: Mack

Re: Kill the Can - 03/28/14 10:51 AM

Take a 10 day fishing to a remote area and only pack half a can. Worked for me.
Posted By: Rikki1

Re: Kill the Can - 03/28/14 11:01 AM

I've chewed Levi garret for 34 yrs. 2 packs a day for prolly 15 wish I could quit

Re: Kill the Can - 03/28/14 11:50 AM

It all sounds dang good to me, I'm done.
Posted By: LLtrapper

Re: Kill the Can - 03/28/14 11:52 AM

When quitting smoking I told myself I would smoke a pack tomorrow but I won't smoke today. That was 7 plus years ago. When I decided to quit drinking I said to myself I would drink a Quart of Crown Royal tomorrow but won't buy or drink any today. I still have a quart I bought last year in my cupboard unopened. LLL

Re: Kill the Can - 03/28/14 11:57 AM

Larry, great advise. I know giving up his tobacco is gonna be rough for a while, so can I come over and take that crown off your hands to get me through it LOL. Thanks to everyone that's chimed in on this thread.
Posted By: LLtrapper

Re: Kill the Can - 03/28/14 12:41 PM

Larry, great advise. I know giving up his tobacco is gonna be rough for a while, so can I come over and take that crown off your hands to get me through it LOL. Thanks to everyone that's chimed in on this thread.

I tell my wife I am saving it for when the dollar collapses. It will be better than gold at that point. It could come in handy at a Zombie apocalypse also and if that happens I may drink it myself. smile LLL

Re: Kill the Can - 03/28/14 08:30 PM

It's been 4 hours so far, I'm still alive.....not very happy about much, but I'm here. How's the rest of y'all doin?

Re: Kill the Can - 03/28/14 09:02 PM

its been almost exactly 24 hours since my last dip. I can say that I really didnt crave one today, but I sure do feel different. I almost feel light headed and woozy... but Im alive!

Re: Kill the Can - 03/28/14 09:24 PM

I just feel angry

Re: Kill the Can - 03/28/14 09:37 PM

oh yeah. I am mad at the world right now

Re: Kill the Can - 03/28/14 09:43 PM

Sunflower seeds and Big Red gum helped me alot...after I got through the 1st few days and the nicotine was coming out of my system it got better...every day was better...hang in there guys you can do it...

Re: Kill the Can - 03/28/14 10:12 PM

Yodel, lol, I chewed so many seeds today, the other half of my mouth is as raw as the side I normally chewed on....lol....oh crap....this really ain't that funny....pathetic.....dang
Posted By: waveslider

Re: Kill the Can - 03/28/14 10:20 PM

Riverman, like I said before, its as easy as not dipping anymore. That's it. But when I was standing on the bank of my favorite fishing run casting to rising trout it sure was weird not to have a dip in. You will have those moments as well. Driving without it was actually easier than I thought it would be.

For the record when I quit, I had reduced DOWN to 3-4 cans of Copenhagen long cut per day and had been on that routine for over 20 years. I just quit. That's it.
Posted By: sparkyd

Re: Kill the Can - 03/28/14 10:20 PM

Just stay busy! I went to the gym and killed the kick bag over a week. As others stated chewing gum sunflower seeds. I did gain weight the first few months evan though I worked out like crazy. Hang in there Riverman-.

Re: Kill the Can - 03/28/14 10:37 PM

What we need is another trapperman auction to keep our minds occupied

Re: Kill the Can - 03/28/14 10:44 PM

Good luck guys...I have you in my prayers.

Re: Kill the Can - 03/28/14 10:49 PM

On a call, that's awesome, thanks

Re: Kill the Can - 03/28/14 10:50 PM

To whoever asked if your mouth will heal....YES! I was totally amazed at how different my gums/lip looked after three days. With the exception of where my gums have receeded, they look like I never chewed. I chewed a can a day for about ten years. Been almost a month and it's getting a LITTLE easier...not quite as angry and got some sleeping pills from the doc so the last two nights are the first time I've slept good since I quit.

Re: Kill the Can - 03/28/14 10:54 PM

Good to hear Ricky, I hope I get some gum regrowth as well. I don't plan on gaining weight over this deal either. If my body wants to give me heck for nicotine withdrawal, that's fine, then I'll give it broccoli back. That's right, as long as my body acts like it needs nicotine, I'm gonna punish it and not give it Busch light.....bring it on

Re: Kill the Can - 03/28/14 11:06 PM

Someone needs to start a progress report thread. It Friday, I've dropped the can in the trash and it's rough! I think my wife is going to take a vacation away from me for a while. Lol!!!
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Kill the Can - 03/28/14 11:49 PM

Hang in there guys.

Re: Kill the Can - 03/29/14 02:29 AM

What would one hurt? That's what I keep telling myself. But that's what's going to ruin everything. Holy cow its only day one and my head is just in circles. Its so much easier to give in

Re: Kill the Can - 03/29/14 02:34 AM

If u don't have any around, you can't have just one
Posted By: Swivel

Re: Kill the Can - 03/29/14 02:44 AM

Me and buddy quit by betting first to chew has to buy the other a new Benelli 20ga for 1700.00. We quit last May, no way I will ever chew again. It works

Re: Kill the Can - 03/29/14 04:10 AM

Yeah easier to give in than to quit smile

No question about it...this is the hard part and time. To me, it was after the hard part that I tripped up. A week or two after quiting....and saying awe just little will be okay ( NOPE )
Posted By: carsonwild

Re: Kill the Can - 03/29/14 04:41 AM

Good luck guys don't give up.
I quit dip and booze the same year It was tuff.
Don't give in and keep the faith and stand tall.
Carson

Re: Kill the Can - 03/29/14 04:41 AM

I wanted one today so I bought the fake smokey mtn. stuff. Actually helped the craving! However, my attitude must be a bit different. I'm on the recliner and the significant other is in bed. Tomorrow will be better, I've been here before. The first 10 days are the worst
Posted By: Joe Burg

Re: Kill the Can - 03/29/14 05:27 AM

right at 20 years skoal, i need to quit but not ready yet, keep thinkng of a "good time" to do this. never a good time i guess. been trying to slow down, hope that will make it easier when i do quit. wish i could just chew recreationally like when fishing or skinning,or finishing fur etc. im a sob when im chewing let alone when im i not. good luck guys i know what you up against and you are stronger than that can. {im not}!

Re: Kill the Can - 03/29/14 08:21 AM

Yodel, lol, I chewed so many seeds today, the other half of my mouth is as raw as the side I normally chewed on....lol....oh crap....this really ain't that funny....pathetic.....dang
I know Outlaw my mouth was raw from chewing seeds too...lol...quit them after a week and just chewed the gum as my mouth was hurtin.Just stayed busy as I could. Every day gets a lil better as the nicotine craving goes away. Hang in there guys it's a son of a gun but you can do it...just think of all the traps amd guns you can buy with all the money you have from not chewin too smile laugh

Re: Kill the Can - 03/29/14 11:55 AM

That's right yodel. I figure it was costing me around $50 a week to pay my dues to Copenhagen.

Re: Kill the Can - 03/29/14 12:02 PM

Heck ya..$200 a month is a dozen fully modded coyote traps...hang tuff Outlaw..Riverman..you can do it!

Re: Kill the Can - 03/29/14 12:36 PM

So it seems that to make matters worse, I can't sleep either. So I've gone all day, no dip, and now I've slept 2 hours. I woke up at midnight and CAN NOT get back to sleep. The only plus side is that my oldest boy has T-ball practice today and it's raining so maybe I can catch a nap this afternoon. That or continue work on turning the old milk barn into a house, or perhaps till the land for the garden? Ugh...

Re: Kill the Can - 03/29/14 04:21 PM

Outdoor, I couldn't sleep either, I finally got ahold of the doctor a few days ago and I'm glad I did, sleeping pills the last few nights have been a life saver! And I don't know about you other fellas, but the other times I "quit", trying to dip less before hand or using the gum or other things just didn't work....cold turkey and being a glutton for punishment was the only way haha.

Re: Kill the Can - 03/29/14 06:32 PM

I slept off and on. The funny thing is, I just went on a four hour drive to pick up deer meat, and my buddy kept laughing at me. I guess I kept chewing on my lip, rythmically tapping on my leg, and blindly reaching for my left shirt pocket (where there is no longer a can). It ain't fun, but it is slightly amusing, even to myself the stupid hold it has on our bodies. Little over 24 hrs in......I'll survive.

Re: Kill the Can - 03/30/14 12:53 AM

What the heck, everyone fall off he horse, or die from withdrawals? Toughen up men. I eased the pain with Busch light and fried carp tonight.

Re: Kill the Can - 03/30/14 01:15 AM

Still going strong,too many blue yummies last night had me feeling just bad enough today to not even want the fake stuff. I'm feeling good about quitting this time. Think it might actually work!

Re: Kill the Can - 03/30/14 01:18 AM

What are blue yummies?

Re: Kill the Can - 03/30/14 01:22 AM

Busch light

Re: Kill the Can - 03/30/14 01:31 AM

Hahaha, that a boy.....but there's no such thing as too many of those!

Re: Kill the Can - 03/30/14 01:38 AM

I know you are feeling like crap...if not great.

Hang in there brothers...you will win.

Re: Kill the Can - 03/30/14 01:59 AM

I'm sorry, this is almost comical, we are grown men............nicotine.... I need an addiction to church like I have to nicotine, I'd be a lot better person. Day 3 starts for me tomm, good luck boys!

Re: Kill the Can - 03/30/14 04:07 AM

Been two days now. Well 53 hours but whose counting? Jeepers. I Dont even know how to explain it. I want nothing more than to give in but I just know I'll be so upset. Its like my body is doing its best to make me want the stuff. Its saying "go get some dip or I'm not going to operate". Well I trained the coon hounds for a few hours this morning and that was rough. Seems like everything I do just makes me want to thro one in. Gonna try and get some sleep now. Got to take the pups to the vet tomorrow. Good luck outlaw. Just gotta be patient. Supposadly it gets easier. Come on day 3!!
Posted By: Ramcat

Re: Kill the Can - 03/30/14 04:45 AM

My hats off to you boys. 2 cans a day for few years now. My 2 year old is makin spit cups now. Talk about feeling like a crap parent. I had 2 dips all day. I'm jumping on the bandwagon with you boys, just a few days behind.

Re: Kill the Can - 03/30/14 04:49 AM

Soon enough and your bus will be full smile

Keep it up guys.

Re: Kill the Can - 03/30/14 08:20 AM

Dang I'm proud of you guys...It's tuff for the 1st few days for sure ..but every day gets better...hang in there!

Re: Kill the Can - 03/30/14 10:53 AM

Still goin strong.. The smokey mountain is gross but it sure helps!

Re: Kill the Can - 03/30/14 11:25 AM

Mornin boys. I sure do miss that snap up snuff with my morning cup of sweat, but that's ok. It's getting better. Ramcat, I'm gonna tell ya from experience, and like so many others have pointed out on here, this is only gonna work if YOU have really had enough and want to quit. Boys, for all of my adult life, and since I was 16, I've loved Copenhagen. Loved it more than most things in fact. I would go so far as to say I loved it so much, I wouldn't eat or drink certain things that would affect the taste of my next dip. It literally took reading Rivermans post and thinking about the fact that I haven't even been able to taste that sweet Copenhagen for over a year, and a quick check in the mirror explained why it'd been hurting to chew so much the last week, parts of my gums are wore down to the point where teeth would be soon to follow. This is coming from a guy who's never had a cavity in his life! That's when the light bulb came on for me and I had my "come to Jesus" type moment. I hope anyone that use this stuff and " thinks" they want to quit can have one of these reality checks, because without it, I think getting over that hurdle and really getting to he point of quitting on your own would be tough to do.

Re: Kill the Can - 03/30/14 12:03 PM

Faith goes the distance. Sounds to me like you will win.
Posted By: Sparks

Re: Kill the Can - 03/30/14 12:37 PM

Hang in there YOU CAN DO IT ! stay busy, chew gum, altoids. I am proud of you for taking the step you have You will be happy in a few months when the mouth feels great . you dont have to have a dip to exist I am proof of that . like many of you for many years i had a dip in there is life after tobacco !

Re: Kill the Can - 03/30/14 12:39 PM

Day three is starting now. No point in going back. For those of you that are giving up dip, you can do it. I dont want to sound like a motivational speaker but it is possible. I didn't think I'd make it a half day. I used to have a dip in 95% of the regular day. The only time I wouldn't is if I was eating. My gums and lips have already shown a huge sugb of improvement. I don't feel like I really crave dip but my body us telling me that something is missing. My heads still a bit woozy too. But im breathing. Can't wait to see how the day goes. Its been an interesting journey so far

Re: Kill the Can - 03/30/14 12:54 PM

That something missing is you are used to having something in your mouth,chewing,spitting,etc. That is why I like the herbal because you still have something in your lip but it isn't nicotine. I will soon put that down also and will be recovered. On day 11 now,you guys can do it.

Re: Kill the Can - 03/30/14 01:06 PM

This is a good situation we have going here. Proves that there are strength in numbers! Helps to get on here when I feel I want one and see how everybody else is doing with it. It's alot easier staying off the junk knowing I don't want to get on here and say I failed. Glad the post got started !

Re: Kill the Can - 03/30/14 01:12 PM

Well,it is like any other addiction.You have to WANT to quit before anything else can successfully happen.
Posted By: Ramcat

Re: Kill the Can - 03/30/14 01:16 PM

Outlaw I been wanting to quit for a long time. Kept sayin I was goin to before every one of my kids were born. Never did. My gums and cheeks look like somebody went at em with a wire wheel grinder. Time to kick it for good.

Re: Kill the Can - 03/30/14 01:21 PM

You guys are doin great! Your lips and gums will heal up and the nicotine craving will be gone. It helped me to say Yuck to myself when I saw someone taking a dip...lol yuck! Hang in there!!

Re: Kill the Can - 03/30/14 01:42 PM

Lol yodel, "yuck" ain't gonna work for me, I've always believed the taste of Copenhagen snuff is better than that of the finest prime rib in nebraska wink. Ram, it sounds like ur there then, all that's left is to quit. After 48hrs, it's all downhill boys! Lol.

Re: Kill the Can - 03/30/14 02:12 PM

I know Outlaw I liked the taste of it alot too...it just helped me I guess...lol

Re: Kill the Can - 03/30/14 02:16 PM

Dang Steve, next time I'm out west, I'm gonna look you up and shake your hand, you've been a heck of a help through this, and I've enjoyed chatting with ya on all topics.

Re: Kill the Can - 03/30/14 02:23 PM

Sounds good Outlaw be great to meet you too! We can get Andy and we'll go shoot a pile of ground squirrels.

Re: Kill the Can - 03/30/14 04:42 PM

Sounds like a plan Steve, thanks again. Holy crap, quitting this stuff just drove me to a workout on the elliptical and treadmill with my wife! I think that was a dumber choice than ever starting chewing in the first place! Lol, feelin fine here boys

Re: Kill the Can - 03/30/14 04:47 PM

I'm good to!!! Hope the rest of ya are going strong....
Posted By: Blueticker1

Re: Kill the Can - 03/30/14 05:15 PM

Alright i'm gonna jump on this train too i've been chewing for 17 years at 2 cans a day and pretty much have one in 24/7 except for eating. Worst part is i gut it i gotta have skin graphs on my gums and i'm done with it i spend about 170 bucks a month on this garbage and all its gonna do for me is make me die sooner. Good luck to everyone that is doin this and thanks for the confidence boost in doing it also

Re: Kill the Can - 03/30/14 05:22 PM

Keep at it boys-You can do it, and you will be a better man for it. I quit about 20 years ago. There wasn't much better than putting in a dip of skoal after letting the hounds loose and listening for the first strike. My gums receded baring the roots of a couple teeth and then the chew worked on them. I lost those teeth and had another loosened. That gap in my jaw is a reminder of the cause. Do whatever it takes to get through as long as you don't replace it with another destructive habit. I'm rooting for you.

Re: Kill the Can - 03/30/14 06:23 PM

This list isn't perfect, but a lot of them are good motivation!!!

http://www.killthecan.org/facts-figures/the-top-100-benefits-of-quitting-dip/

Re: Kill the Can - 03/30/14 06:40 PM

To all you guys that are doing it and gonna do it...Awesome you can be proud of yourself!! And think of all the new traps and guns and boats you can buy too...lol laugh crazy Go for it!!
Posted By: bwtrapper

Re: Kill the Can - 03/30/14 08:53 PM

Ok I'm in. 35 years, can a day. Tomorrow at noon I'll be out. This is going to be tough but I want to be DONE!

Re: Kill the Can - 03/30/14 10:56 PM

bwtrapper, it ain't fun let me tell ya. But it sure is a good feeling. The inside of my lips are already pretty much healed up. Its been 7 years since I've felt my mouth be normal. Its pretty weird! As long as you want to quit, you can do it. You have to be dead set on it. And Dont let the thought of "oh its just one" get in the way. I've had that thought a million times over the last two and a half days. Good luck!

Re: Kill the Can - 03/30/14 11:01 PM

You can do it Bw...go for it and don't look back! Hang in there Riverman..Outlaw...all you guys can be proud of yourself!
Posted By: Norwest MN

Re: Kill the Can - 03/30/14 11:40 PM

Great job river man keep it up. This got me to thinking I've chewed since I was 14 or 15 so it's been everyday for about 20 years I'm going to quit on the first. You guys try to keep this tread going. I will post some updates.

Re: Kill the Can - 03/30/14 11:42 PM

Hahaha, boys, I'm the wildman extraordinaire, I'm done with this crap, it ain't that hard, and if it is for u, u ain't ready to quit. To those that are actually going through with this, good work, and upkeep up the fight. If u ain't quit, u ain't serious, find another fourm, this one ain't for u.

Re: Kill the Can - 03/31/14 12:34 AM

Keep it up guys . My last dip was march 3 of last year was tough but so nice nowing that I am free from it . Will still feel around for a can when I leave the house makes me smile every time . I used mint chew for the habit for awhile now free from all . Hardest thing I ever did but the best thing to . My wife stop smoking 3 years ago after 20 years .
Posted By: Steven Trosper

Re: Kill the Can - 03/31/14 01:31 AM

I used to chew-Skoal, more than a can a day! In 1993, a man up at work had quit and was telling me about the stuff he used to help quit. Called MINT SNUFF made from mint leaves. Put in your mouth like Skoal and leave it in all day. Quit in 2 weeks, I had no cravings for chew and no withdraw symptoms.

Been free from the stuff since March 1, 1993.

Re: Kill the Can - 03/31/14 01:38 AM

Seems like its been an eternity. Third night now, going pretty good. I do wake up about 15 times in the night but I expected that. Hopefully tonight is better. Crazy what a tobacco addiction does to the body I tell ya

Re: Kill the Can - 03/31/14 01:51 AM

Keep it up Riverman.

Re: Kill the Can - 03/31/14 02:49 AM

Is it me or does it seem like everyone is trying to irritate a guy when he is trying to quit! Today has been extremely trying,but I'm still tobacco free. I've always had a bit of a temper but got it under control a few years ago, but today has been a huge challenge!
Posted By: Partime

Re: Kill the Can - 03/31/14 02:54 AM

Hey hope this is encouraging. I quit three years ago after five years of it. It really wasnt that difficult when i decided that i wanted to quit like others have said. The cravings never really go away but you will start to get them less often. Your in my prayers.

Re: Kill the Can - 03/31/14 07:49 AM

Morning boys and girls..Proud of all of you for quitting! Every day gets a lil bit better for sure...hang in there you can do it! Heck take yourself and your gal out for dinner to celebrate...buy a couple bricks of .22s..if you can find them...lol You all are doing a great job....awesome!! smile

Re: Kill the Can - 03/31/14 09:15 AM

Morning everyone, still goin strong here, you better be too. Had to do some editing to my last post, wife drug me to the casino with some friends last night and I don't gamble.....apparently I made up for it in the beer dept, my last post wasn't even close to legible lol. Keep it up, I feel like each day is better than the last.

Re: Kill the Can - 03/31/14 12:41 PM

Good morning, all is well here. Woke up so its starting off right! Have a good one and be safe!!

Re: Kill the Can - 03/31/14 01:03 PM

Hope you boys are hanging in there Army Strong !

I want you to succeed !!!

Re: Kill the Can - 03/31/14 01:41 PM

Still goin here as well
Posted By: Jeff Gillies

Re: Kill the Can - 03/31/14 02:02 PM

You guys are doing great! Your motivating many people to give it up, which I also commend you for. I quit about a month ago and at 27 bucks for a tin of straight skoal its added up already. Good work boys.
Posted By: woody1

Re: Kill the Can - 03/31/14 02:36 PM

Keep it up guys. I'm here to tell you it ain't easy in spite of the experience some have. October 12, 1986, I had my last chew after using tobacco for about 25 years. Yeah, I'm that old but I still remember the day because I went thru near 3 weeks of withdrawal symptoms. Shakes, blurry vision, agitation and general meanness, you name it, but it's over now. I'm still mean though! Best of luck and regards, Woody

Re: Kill the Can - 03/31/14 04:25 PM

Still havin fun here

Re: Kill the Can - 03/31/14 10:16 PM

Not gonna lie, today wasn't easy, had to leave the farm and come home and vaccume the house and re read hoofbeats of a wolfer to get my mind off the snuff, but I held on and won

Re: Kill the Can - 04/01/14 12:07 AM

I think I've gone thru a thousand Jolly rancher candies but I haven't touched the dip yet and don't plan on it. I like the way my mouth has healed so far and how I don't wake up in the morning with a soar throat. I've only seen improvements so far other than severe anger smile

Re: Kill the Can - 04/01/14 12:15 AM

Lol! I had the anger yesterday. Today was 1000 times better, first time I got in my pickup after work and didn't want a pinch. Things are looking up fellas!

Re: Kill the Can - 04/01/14 12:19 AM

Every day gets better guys....seemed to melike after the 1st week I could care less about it cuz the nicotine was gone from my system....Proud of all you guys...it's a tuff son of gun to quit for sure...But you are doing it...awesome job!!

Re: Kill the Can - 04/01/14 12:29 AM

I'm feeling good ... I think as long as I keep some smokey mountain or what not around for skinning... Treestands... Fishing...!we will be just fine!

Re: Kill the Can - 04/01/14 12:45 AM

Wife kicked my.......again on the elliptical, I then proceeded to beat the heck out of the punching bag.....,today was a tough day, but I'm still in it!

Re: Kill the Can - 04/01/14 01:03 AM

Be sure to brush your teeth twice as much as you used to when you were dipping. When I quit, I ended up getting a cavity from all the candy and gum I tried to replace the snuff with.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/01/14 01:27 AM

I ain't never had a cavity, and don't plan on starting now. I'm not big on sweets, so I shouldn't have to worry I hope

Re: Kill the Can - 04/01/14 01:42 AM

Didn't wake me up last night but is ALL I thought about all day. Kept sucking oncandy and chewing jerky all day. Don't think tomorrow is going to be any better

Re: Kill the Can - 04/01/14 02:01 AM

Lol, I just took a deer roast out of the fride to make jerkey

Re: Kill the Can - 04/01/14 02:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Tim trapper
If you quitters get your own forum it won't be kid friendly- lol
I'm addicted too.....
My old man offered me 1000 bucks to quit.....
Tim B

No.... no it won't. HA HA!!!

Re: Kill the Can - 04/01/14 02:31 AM

Worst part of quitting so far... I work nights, by myself. I am an inspector at a company in Nashville, TN that makes airplane parts. I'm alone for 10 hours a night. It's not exactly a "busy" job. I have a lot of time to sit and think about how good some copenhagen would taste. All weekend I tried to keep busy. I fell a few trees, marked out the garden, tended to the chickens and the horse. I made some AMAZING venison stew (or maybe I could just taste it better). But now, I'm at work, alone, and kinda bored.

All weekend I was nauseas, dizzy, irritable (down right irate). My wife even volunteed to serve in the day care at church so she didn't have to sit with me through Sunday School. I'll admit, focusing on Jesus helped more than anything so far.

It's getting easier to get through the day. The first 24 hours I was pretty sure I was going to end up in jail. Now, I have a short fuse, but it's better. Today, a ladybug wouldn't leave me alone in my bedroom. I managed to only throw 3 shoes at it. Had it beed Friday or Saturday, I would've opted for the 12ga. See! I'm getting better!

I just want the headaches and dizziness to go away.

Ok, that's my rant right now.

One more thing, I figured out a couple things that WERE NOT helping me. Caffeine and alcohol are NOT a good thing when trying to quit nicotine. A couple doctors told me that and my own experiences proved them right. Only made the cravings worse.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/01/14 05:23 AM

Dad good write up...wow I am glad you did not have a horse fly in the house.

Water, water, and more water.

Personally I think if you add a Zipfizz you might like that ?

http://www.zipfizz.com/default.aspx

Re: Kill the Can - 04/01/14 05:29 AM

That looks interesting! I may have to order some to give it a whirl. I have several friends that deal in Advocare. It really is a good product, I'm just not interested in budgeting for X amount of vitamins and health stuff. They have a product similar to zipfizz. But honestly, I'm but Zipfizz first because it's fun to say... Zipfizz. LOL!

Re: Kill the Can - 04/01/14 06:10 AM

I drank about two a day on average all last summer...they really helped me focus and stay calmer. Perhaps there was something in it that I was missing in my diet ?

All I know is that I could tell a difference.

Sam's club sells it as does Costco.

I could send you a few if you would like to try it.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/01/14 06:33 AM

Thanks, but there's no need to go to the trouble. I have friends with memberships. I'll just give one of them a holler this week.

Side note, I was going to send you a PM but it's full.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/01/14 10:40 AM

I was a daily drinker with Copenhagen, but I've actually cut that out of my diet as well, only drinking on the weekends right now. Caffeine is a whole mother story, u wanna see mean, take away my coffee. I'm loosing track of the days here, I think this is the start of 5 days free now for me. Good luck fellas
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Kill the Can - 04/01/14 10:49 AM

I read somewhere what I thought was a pretty good statement. Your body is supposed to last almost 100 years, and most of us have no problem buying this or that but for most part we typically don't invest much in our own health or maintenance. If there are quitting techniques and aids out there to consider, might think of it as an investment, long-term, maybe worth several more years trapping if nothing else!
Jim

Re: Kill the Can - 04/01/14 10:59 AM

Jab I have heard that too.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/01/14 11:02 AM

Think you guys are right about quittin the booze when a guy quits chewing...I did and it sure helped me alot...lol...Seems like the 2 go together too well laugh
Posted By: Rossy048

Re: Kill the Can - 04/01/14 11:19 AM

Posted By: jabNE

Re: Kill the Can - 04/01/14 11:19 AM

Yeah, I smoked as a younger man, a lot. Then quit when my 12 year old was coming into the world. Was HARD and I chewed a ton of sugar free gum. Tried a lot of helper things but finally got it done.
Lost almost 40 pounds, doing my third half marathon this year, and going to try my first full next year, at least want to get one in before I hit fifty in couple years.
I look back and had no problem buying $30,000 trucks that maybe went 10 years. Investing in your body should be more important in grand scheme of things, I think.
Jim

Re: Kill the Can - 04/01/14 09:59 PM

Who wants to live to be 100 anyway? I want to meet my maker before then.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/01/14 10:28 PM

I want to meet my maker too, and I don't really care if I make 80, but I don't want to spend any of that time between now and then at a dentist, or oral surgeon. I ain't afraid of dyeing and I ain't afraid of cancer, but I sure as heck don't want to have to rely on anyone else to take care of me because I have no mouth or face or throat left....,na, I'd just assume have a heart attack in the high elevations of Montana chasing down pale yotes, not sittin in a hospice facility getting fed through a straw. But to each his own.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/01/14 11:09 PM

I'd like to do all I can while I can. I don't need an unhealthy habit keeping me from it. Things are going really well, hope its the same for everyone else kickin the habit!

Re: Kill the Can - 04/01/14 11:35 PM

Sucked today, not getting better yet. BUT have not caved in.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/01/14 11:40 PM

Could get worse or it WILL get better. But the way I look at it, if I start back up the" better" part is not an option health wise. Easier for me to stay off the stuff and KNOW I'm not intentionally harming myself.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/01/14 11:46 PM

Another day closer to freedom-Stick with it!
Posted By: waggler

Re: Kill the Can - 04/01/14 11:55 PM

The easiest way to quit is to book yourself a trip to some remote place on the planet for about three weeks that doesn't have chew. Someplace that offers something fun or interesting, some examples: Mongolia - hunting, Thailand - beach stuff or highlands trekking, and so on.
This will really work. The trick is to be doing something you enjoy in a completely different environment, and for at least three weeks.
Is it a little expensive? yes, but not quitting is more expensive, I can guaranty that.
I speak from experience.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/02/14 12:12 AM

Ha, every year when I go to Vegas for the rodeo, I took a whole log of snuff, same for annual trips to Mexico lol. It's funny, today was hard for me to, I'm on day four or five, but today was tuff. It just don't feel right walkin and fixin fence without snuff, it was tuff, but another day down.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/02/14 12:44 AM

You guys are all doing a super job hang in there....you have already done the hardest part...and that is just saying no...Proud of all you guys!!
Posted By: TrappingHardcore

Re: Kill the Can - 04/02/14 01:01 AM

Being a teenager the temptation to dip is almost everywhere. School, sports, and at friends house. I've had it before but reading this thread is really gonna help me say no. Good thread.
Posted By: bigo

Re: Kill the Can - 04/02/14 01:02 AM

Well fellows I was planning on putting the stuff down for good this weekend. However as of 7 this morning I have not had a dip. Boy didn't think I would make it 14 hrs without one but I have. Thanks for the help and good luck to all that's trying to kick it.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/02/14 01:05 AM

My hat is off to everyone of you guys...I am guessing you are having it tough right now...but shoot for one more day tomorrow !!

Re: Kill the Can - 04/02/14 01:06 AM

Good work bigo, jump on board, but don't do it if your "trying to kick it", do if you ARE GONNA KICK IT, QUIT IT, THATS IT.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/02/14 01:08 AM

Keep it up guys. I went out and bought a can just now. Been clean of dip since Thursday night. I did it to prove to my roommate that I can carry this unopened can around and not indulge in it. Its tough but getting easier! Keep at it guys

Re: Kill the Can - 04/02/14 01:13 AM

How long u plan on carrying around that full can river????

Re: Kill the Can - 04/02/14 01:15 AM

You guys get some fake mint chew a lot of stores sell it . You can use it to get over the Nicotine I found it help huge when i quite 1 year ago . After I got over the nicotine withdraws I quit the habit by going trapping and leaving the mint snuff at home . You can also order it . Hang in there it will get easier
Posted By: Born

Re: Kill the Can - 04/02/14 01:16 AM

Bad idea buying a can. Good Luck to you.
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Kill the Can - 04/02/14 01:37 AM

Sure is a lot of power and self determination being shared on this thread. Keep it up as we are all pulling for each other!

chris

Re: Kill the Can - 04/02/14 01:49 AM

I'd ditch the full can man!

Re: Kill the Can - 04/02/14 01:54 AM

Keep it up guys. I went out and bought a can just now. Been clean of dip since Thursday night. I did it to prove to my roommate that I can carry this unopened can around and not indulge in it. Its tough but getting easier! Keep at it guys

Why tempt yourself that way? Hang in there...and get rid of that can!

Re: Kill the Can - 04/02/14 02:54 AM

TrappingHardcore, that's where I started. I was 16 and a buddy gave me a pinch. Let me tell you, he's still a friend and we actually work together to this day. That was 17 years ago. I want to punch him in his face this week!!! Let me tell ya, this is MISERABLE trying to quit. Not to mention, my supervisor at work just told me about his father who died of mouth cancer. He said he went to the doctor because his cheek was sore. The doctor said he had about 3 months, and sure enough 3 months later he was being laid to rest. Now, that was an aggressive cancer, but I don't really want to chance it, especially since both my grandfathers have or had cancer from smoking (one passed away many many years ago).

All that said, I am back from the gas station on my dinner break. A giant bag of peppermint twist, and a giant bag of Jolly Ranchers. Who ever mentioned this deserves my gratitude! Thank you! This is helping a lot!

Re: Kill the Can - 04/02/14 10:29 AM

Another day starts, good luck fellas

Re: Kill the Can - 04/02/14 12:07 PM

Riverman, Everyone is different. It can be dangerous to carry. When I quit, I carried a can for nearly a year. I guess it was my security blanket.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/02/14 01:08 PM

Good work bigo, jump on board, but don't do it if your "trying to kick it", do if you ARE GONNA KICK IT, QUIT IT, THATS IT.
Trust me I am quitting this stuff for good. It's been a little over 24 hrs, don't know if it's any easier today r not but I will make it thru the day.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/02/14 01:21 PM

Originally Posted By: bigo
Trust me I am quitting this stuff for good. It's been a little over 24 hrs, don't know if it's any easier today r not but I will make it thru the day.
Good job bigo...Kick the can for good!!
Posted By: Riverotter2

Re: Kill the Can - 04/02/14 01:22 PM

You don't need that full can at all. Like I said I chew over 30 years, a pack or more per day. When I laid it down I wouldn't about to put a full pack in my back pocket. I'm on the road or in the woods ever day and if I can you can. One big problem I had was biting my wife head off ever time she said something to me for the first month or two. But she knew I was trying to come off a drug. Good luck to you, ditch the can

Re: Kill the Can - 04/02/14 06:27 PM

i cant wait till this thread is in the past, cause we've all forgotten nicotine and quit!

Re: Kill the Can - 04/02/14 08:15 PM

One foot in front of the other and I'm not looking back... I hope everyone on here encourages each other I would love for everyone in this thread to stick with it!

Re: Kill the Can - 04/02/14 08:25 PM

You're going to need a bigger wagon Riverman, everyone is piling on!

Seriously though, I hope none of you guys falls off.

I never chewed/dipped but smoked a pack a day for thirty plus years, quit eleven years ago.
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: Kill the Can - 04/02/14 08:57 PM

I never dipped but I did smoke. Started smoking in basic training at Fort Dix, NJ in June of 1965. In the early years I smoked Winston and was smoking close to 2 packs a day. After I got out of the Army I continued to smoke Winton's but did cut back to about a pack a day. Then sometime in the late 80's I switched to Marlboro Lights and reduced my intake to a half a pack a day. Since the early 90's I quit numerous time for periods of up to six months. The downfall was I would bum a smoke from someone and then I could no longer say I went "x" number of days without smoking. On February 21st of this year I quit again. Today makes 40 days without a smoke for me. I do not plan on bumming a smoke this time. From reading this thread it might be harder to quit the dip than to quit cigarette's. I don't think I get angry, but I sure do miss the nicotine. So far I only gained a pound or two.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/02/14 09:02 PM

Tomorrow will be 2 weeks for me,I don't miss it.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/02/14 09:02 PM

Just pulled a batch of deer jerky off the dehydrator, I'm chewing on it, but that's it.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/02/14 09:18 PM

Just pulled a batch of deer jerky off the dehydrator, I'm chewing on it, but that's it.
Good job Outlaw you got the chew beat....awesome!! Proud of all you guys!!

Re: Kill the Can - 04/02/14 10:53 PM

Jerky sounds real good, I'm out already looking forward to bow season! Still no chew here, getting easier and I feel healthier. Hope everyone else is getting along just as well!

Re: Kill the Can - 04/03/14 12:56 AM

Steve, I owe you some fine iowa whitetail jersey, that's for sure!

Re: Kill the Can - 04/03/14 05:13 AM

I think I'm over the worst of it myself. I've had the shakes, the sweats, the dizzy spells, and the memory loss. Actually, I don't think I blacked out.... I think my wife slugged me. HA HA!!! But I'm doing alright now. No real cravings.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/03/14 11:36 AM

Another day, didn't sleep with a darn last night, actually was physically feeling bad about it most of the night....oh well, still goin strong, ya'll had better be too

Re: Kill the Can - 04/03/14 11:43 AM

Still going strong, just keeping busy. Have a good one and keep up the good work!

Re: Kill the Can - 04/03/14 01:15 PM

Hang in there guys ...you gotter whupped already!!

Re: Kill the Can - 04/03/14 03:32 PM

Things are going good here. I am using some gum and candy to help out.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/03/14 08:52 PM

I had to stop by the gas station today, on the counter they had some herbal energy pouches in a can, I thought why not try um.......taste like [Please excuse my language... I'm an idiot]......I think I'll just stick to the cold turkey, no substitute method. Will be a week for me tomm at 11am, still missin the heck out of it, but it's too late to turn back now. Hope y'all are doing well

Re: Kill the Can - 04/03/14 09:16 PM

Doing great! 1 week today still grab the fake smokey mountain when the habit strikes, but I haven't gone through two cans of that in a week. That's way better than 8-10 cans of cope

Re: Kill the Can - 04/03/14 09:22 PM

I will agree, the fake stuff is no where near the real thing! The smokey mountain stuff is corn silk I believe.Still not good though, I'm about done with that now too. Hope everyone is still staying away from the real stuff!
Posted By: waggler

Re: Kill the Can - 04/03/14 09:31 PM

I hope this doesn't hi-jack this thread, it's sort of related.
I remember years ago one of my mom's friends told her "I need to quit smoking" my mom said right back to her "you don't smoke" her friend said "what do you mean I don't smoke, of course I do" my mom said "no, you don't smoke, you're only the sucker".

Re: Kill the Can - 04/03/14 09:37 PM

I am eating like a pig.Finished a whole cherry pie in 24 hours,LOl.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/03/14 09:46 PM

I went on a strict diet/workout plan the day I decided to quit. Lost 5lbs so far

Re: Kill the Can - 04/03/14 10:14 PM

Almost 3 1/2 days. Don't think I really crave it but think about it all the time. Lifesavers stock must be going up though. Gotta quit those now.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/03/14 10:23 PM

I was addicted to jolly ranchers the last three days.. today my poison is sunflower seeds. but shoot its better than dip!

Re: Kill the Can - 04/03/14 11:50 PM

The salt on the sunflower seeds put more sores in my mouth than Copenhagen ever did.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/03/14 11:56 PM

You guys are doing great!

Chris

Re: Kill the Can - 04/04/14 01:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Pasadena
The salt on the sunflower seeds put more sores in my mouth than Copenhagen ever did.

That ain't no joke!
Posted By: ksp291

Re: Kill the Can - 04/04/14 06:59 AM

RAMCAT if you really wanted to you would. All dip is, is a pasifier for men with mommy issues. Cancer cancer carcinogens carcinogens. You need to stop for your babies.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/04/14 07:22 AM

Originally Posted By: ksp291
RAMCAT if you really wanted to you would. All dip is, is a pasifier for men with mommy issues. Cancer cancer carcinogens carcinogens. You need to stop for your babies.
Huh? Not sure where you came up with that one ksp...lol crazy laugh I hear you guys...my tongue after the 1st week of eating seeds became a bloody stump and hurt like crazy so I had to quit them too...then it was just Big Red gum. You guys have got it beat...proud of all of you!! Just think of all the traps and rifles and trucks you can buy now...Sweet!!

Re: Kill the Can - 04/04/14 10:51 AM

Originally Posted By: yodeldog101
Originally Posted By: ksp291
Huh? Not sure where you came up with that one ksp...lol crazy laugh I hear you guys...my tongue after the 1st week of eating seeds became a bloody stump and hurt like crazy so I had to quit them too...then it was just Big Red gum. You guys have got it beat...proud of all of you!! Just think of all the traps and rifles and trucks you can buy now...Sweet!!

That's the problem Steve, I keep buying things, telling myself it's ok cause I would have spent it on chew anyway lol.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/04/14 11:02 AM

So without reading back are all you guys still hanging in there ?

This being week one and all

Re: Kill the Can - 04/04/14 11:04 AM

Keep buyin em up Outlaw...waaaay better than buying chew...good job bud...you gotter beat!! smile

Re: Kill the Can - 04/04/14 11:10 AM

I'm one week free for the first time in 16 years......sounds kinda funny since I'm 32 years old.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/04/14 11:15 AM

Awesome job Outlaw...and all you guys!!
Posted By: VermillionCoon

Re: Kill the Can - 04/04/14 12:19 PM

Scoot over fellas and make room for one more on the wagon. I am at 72 hours without. And only have had 2 over the last 7 days. I have been intending to completely quite for a couple of years now (probably like all of us). I will say that most of the year, I would use at most, a can a week and during trapping season that would jump to a couple cans a week. I work an office job and don't chew at home but I have always been real bad about it when driving to and form work, etc. Honestly, I think my use has been low enough, that I have not been having much in the way of physical withdrawls, but the mental side is tough. Somebody earlier said its like a passifier and I would agree, maybe even more like a security blanket.

I have more or less been a consintant user for 16 years and it is time to stop. Something just seemed to click earlier this week that it was time to stop and then I saw this thread. Hearing others being strong really helps. I actually still have an open can but have resisted just fine. I have tried seeds before but as other have said, they are almost worse on the mouth. This time I am simply going with mental fortitude. I always knew if I was going to completely quit it would have to be during the spring and not during trapping season. I believe that I am good, but the real test will be next trapping season.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/04/14 12:27 PM

good work vermillion, now prove to yourself how committed to this you are and pitch that half a can. I'm on day 7 going from chewing a can a day for the last 16 years to none....it aint been fun, and its doable. Glad to see you on board bud.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/04/14 03:11 PM

I find myself coming to this post alot lol. It really helps take off the edge a bit. DAY 7!!

Re: Kill the Can - 04/04/14 03:48 PM

OK, so I pitched the open can I had, but really, I think it was better that I had it for the last few days. In the past when I wanted to quit, I have thrown cans away before, but just went out and bouth more the next day or two. Having that can with me and not really being overly tempted helped prove that I have a choice.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/04/14 03:54 PM

when you decide you actually want to quit, then your choice has been made....
Posted By: Jeff Gillies

Re: Kill the Can - 04/04/14 05:07 PM

Nice work fellers. It's tough but definitely worth it. Im coming up on 5 weeks and saved $550 already, and thats only the financial savings, the health savings are priceless ! Keep your chin up and fight for it

Re: Kill the Can - 04/05/14 12:54 AM

How's everyone doing today, it's been pretty quiet? Going good here, I hope everyone else is getting along just as good.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/05/14 01:21 AM

Doing pretty good. Just gotta stay busy. When I'm bored is the hardest part. I get real antsy lol

Re: Kill the Can - 04/05/14 02:38 AM

Still clean here boys, but after a week, it ain't gettin. No easier...

Re: Kill the Can - 04/05/14 03:04 AM

Hang on tight...Soon enough you will be able to do chin ups.

Trust me...anything worth while is not easy.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/05/14 03:24 AM

You guy's hang in there you made it this far a little farther won't kill you but the chew will . Over a year off it and loving it

Re: Kill the Can - 04/05/14 08:14 AM

Awesome job all you guys...you got it beat!! smile

Re: Kill the Can - 04/05/14 08:56 AM

Still clean here boys, but after a week, it ain't gettin. No easier...

It DEFINITELY gets easier. After 2 weeks I seemed to pass a big hurdle but after week 4......there was no going back. Being bored and drinking were the biggest challenges.

If you can resist the urge to "just have one" you'll be fine. Have the self discipline to say no and you'll be ok. Great job, guys.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/05/14 09:08 AM

Dang 47 you quit too? Awesome....good job!! Every day gets a little better til you don't miss it at all...you guys can all be proud of yourselves!!

Re: Kill the Can - 04/05/14 10:32 AM

Mornin Steve, and the rest of y'all. Hope you all are gonna have great weather and a good weekend, anything to stay busy and keep your mind off the crap. Take care

Re: Kill the Can - 04/05/14 11:36 AM

Originally Posted By: yodeldog101
Dang 47 you quit too? Awesome....good job!! Every day gets a little better til you don't miss it at all...you guys can all be proud of yourselves!!

I quit May 5th last year. Aint goin back.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/05/14 01:59 PM

Took the big test last night... Many adult beverages and no need for a chew.... Big step!

Re: Kill the Can - 04/05/14 02:17 PM

I'm way beyond that now. That was my biggest fear - not being able to drink.....phew!
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Kill the Can - 04/05/14 06:50 PM

hear one guy quit by using cut coconut as a replacement. My dad quit after 30-40yrs, mom said it bought killed him, lol good luck that stuff looks nasty to non users.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/05/14 06:59 PM

This weekend seems a bit rougher than last for sure. I'm just keeping busy welding, hope every one has a great weekend! I think we've got it beat!

Re: Kill the Can - 04/05/14 07:26 PM

A real test would be to not only quit the can but quit the bottle too. Today makes 6 weeks without a cigarette and 18 years without booze.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/05/14 07:47 PM

I quit drinking during the week, but not the weekends. I was afraid I was gonna consume more alcohol than normal to compensate for the chew.....so far, that hasn't happened, I've been pretty good.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/05/14 10:05 PM

You guys are all doing an awesome job...you made it this far ya gotter beat!

Re: Kill the Can - 04/05/14 10:36 PM

So its been 5 and a half days for me so far. Eating beef jerky, lifesavers, seeds but jolly ranchers seem to be the best. It fits down in my cheek just like a chaw. But I keep spitting. Need to stop that.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/06/14 09:43 AM

smile

Re: Kill the Can - 04/06/14 01:42 PM

Good morning all, looks like its going to be a nice day here . I think quitting tobacco helped with my sinuses, I'm not as stuffed up in the mornings. Hope everyone is still on board and has a great day !

Re: Kill the Can - 04/06/14 01:46 PM

Mornin fellas, still goin strong here.....wish I would have killed the can of Busch light a little earlier last night....dang

Re: Kill the Can - 04/06/14 01:51 PM

Good job Outlaw...meltnmetal...awesome!

Re: Kill the Can - 04/07/14 01:01 AM

Everyone still doing good? I hardly thought about it today. Starting day 6 here.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/07/14 01:03 AM

I'm on day 9, been wantin it pretty bad still tonight.....oh well, it's gotta go away soon. Keep up the good work fellas

Re: Kill the Can - 04/07/14 01:58 AM

I'm still chew free. Today was tough, buddy got flown to hospital( lungs were filling with blood), he is doing better now. Glad everyone is beating this addiction!

Re: Kill the Can - 04/07/14 07:29 AM

I'm on day 9, been wantin it pretty bad still tonight.....oh well, it's gotta go away soon. Keep up the good work fellas
Outlaw and all you guys are doing great....pretty soon you won't even think about it...awesome!

Re: Kill the Can - 04/07/14 11:18 AM

So are any of you substituting any other forms of tobacco ?

Re: Kill the Can - 04/07/14 11:36 AM

Well I made it thru the weekend chew free. Was outside in the yard cleaning yesterday and for some reason all I wanted was a pinch of snuff, I didn't cave in but boy was it on my mind. Glad everyone else is staying clean.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/07/14 12:15 PM

Nope, couple cans of fake smokey mountain chew. But I'm over that too, it just made my mouth dry. Have a good day and great job!
Posted By: randythetrapper

Re: Kill the Can - 04/07/14 12:52 PM

Good job

Re: Kill the Can - 04/07/14 12:56 PM

morning boys, I aint substituting anything, I figure if I'm gonna quit and my bodys gonna go through all these adjustments, I'm not gonna tease it with any substitutes, I'm just gonna quit and be done. Nick

Re: Kill the Can - 04/07/14 01:17 PM

Good for you guys not using and substitutes...My hat is off to you guys as I know how tuff it is.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/07/14 01:50 PM

I tried the smokey mountain stuff the other day. Id rather just not have anything, that stuff is terrible IMO. Day 11 here. So far Ive tried about everything as a substitute and I like seeds right now. Just taking it a day at a time

Re: Kill the Can - 04/07/14 11:31 PM

I'M BACK!!!!! I've had a FULL weekend! I had both my sisters' kids with me all weekend. I had them working! Took 2 days, but the garden is planted (huge garden), I taught them how to shoot and how to skin and butcher. My boys were getting bored because I was having their cousins help them and my boys didn't have as much to do. HA HA! My nieces and nephews were having a great time till they went in at noon to eat a snadwich and thought they were done for the day. They grabbed their tablets and turned om some games and even went into my room and turned on my Playstation (yeah, I play games when everything else is done and everyone's in bed). I went through, snatched it all up and sent them back out! LOL! It was great!

Anyway, I was so busy all weekend that I didn't even have time to think about grabbing a pinch! I had a pocketful of Jolly Ranchers but only got one before the kids noticed and I became their best friend. I sent them back to their homes Sunday. I wanted them to go to church with me but there was a schedule to keep. Needless to say, Sunday afternoon it was quiet, and I started to want a can again. I went back into work mode and cleaned the house, cooked dinner, and then just found stuff to do. Today, I haven't even wanted one. I dare to say that the cravings are actually going away! That, or I'm just too busy to care.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/08/14 12:58 AM

smile keep it up!

Re: Kill the Can - 04/08/14 01:06 AM

Weekend was good, but I thought about it a lot today. Something about rainy days. Haven't been substituting with anything. I will say that may mouth feels so much better, go figure!

Re: Kill the Can - 04/08/14 02:22 AM

Originally Posted By: VermillionCoon
Weekend was good, but I thought about it a lot today. Something about rainy days. Haven't been substituting with anything. I will say that may mouth feels so much better, go figure!

I'm with you Vermillion, my mouth feels great, and I'm actually tasting things I haven't tasted for months, but if anything, I feel like the cravings are getting worse....,,,oh well, another day down
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Kill the Can - 04/08/14 02:51 AM

when I quit Marlboros I was so suprised how good fried potatoes smelled,

Re: Kill the Can - 04/08/14 02:52 AM

Marlboro would taste great right now.......... mad

Re: Kill the Can - 04/08/14 05:37 PM

I have a wierd feeling I put a few pounds on so far. Been 12 days and I'm lovin it!!

Re: Kill the Can - 04/08/14 10:56 PM

Nine days. Pretty sure I'm good to go but after I eat I reach for my back pocket and it ain't there. Bugs me for about 15 minutes but then kind of get over it. Now I need to kick the other can.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/08/14 11:39 PM

I have gained weight myself, seems I'm filling the void with food, candy and energy drinks. Somehow I'm still saving money, I assume its by not stopping at store to buy chew in the morning. I'm feeling good, think the habit is kicked I'm around people who chew all day and don't want it anymore. Keep it up fellas!

Re: Kill the Can - 04/09/14 12:02 AM

I think about it nonstop, I'm not hungry, and I want it back

Re: Kill the Can - 04/09/14 01:29 AM

Don't give in man, you will want how far you are now, back again someday.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/09/14 02:05 AM

No worries, I ain't giving up, it's a pride thing at this point. I'm glad it's gettin better for you guys. You all are doin awesome
Posted By: buckhunter8905

Re: Kill the Can - 04/09/14 03:43 AM

I'm thinkin of jumpin on the band wagon here too boys
I've tried before and failed miserably

My trouble is I work with a few fellow dippers and they always have some on hand when in jonesin for a pinch

So as of about 20min ago I just spit out my last dip

Re: Kill the Can - 04/09/14 04:01 AM

Good work, buck. Most of us are at least at 10 days, and speaking personally, that's going from a can a day the last 18 years, having never even remotely attempted to quit before. So I can personally say it's doable, it sure is heck not a lot of fun, but if you really want to quit, just be done, be miserable for a while, don't allow yourself to bum one, or substitute any other form of nicotine, just be done and quit. Nick

Re: Kill the Can - 04/09/14 04:56 AM

Gents, I stopped over eight years ago and some days I try to convince myself I can have just one dip and be done. Don't be fooled! It's much easier to tell that inner voice to shut the F' up, now but that little voice does come back. I've probably put on 50lbs since I quit. Now I have to fight that battle. Stuff is poison. Wish I never used it. Won't ever again.

For you guys going through the withdrawals right now don't give up the fight. I never found a substitute that worked, but iron clad willpower. Stick it out and tell that dang can it can go plum straight to h..l! In the end you ain't got nobody but yourself in this fight because that's who'll you'll be fighting with. Feed the good side. Set goals and when you achieve them set new goals.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/09/14 05:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Warmutt
For you guys going through the withdrawals right now don't give up the fight. I never found a substitute that worked, but iron clad willpower. Stick it out and tell that dang can it can go plum straight to h..l! In the end you ain't got nobody but yourself in this fight because that's who'll you'll be fighting with.

Did anyone else hear theme music playing in their head when they read this? (Maybe I'm halucinating...) All I can think of is William Wallace. “Aye, fight and you may die. Run and you’ll live — at least a while. And, dying in your beds many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they’ll never take our freedom"

Re: Kill the Can - 04/09/14 05:22 AM

For you guys going through the withdrawals right now don't give up the fight. I never found a substitute that worked, but iron clad willpower. Stick it out and tell that dang can it can go plum straight to h..l! In the end you ain't got nobody but yourself in this fight because that's who'll you'll be fighting with.

Did anyone else hear theme music playing in their head when they read this? (Maybe I'm halucinating...) All I can think of is William Wallace. “Aye, fight and you may die. Run and you’ll live — at least a while. And, dying in your beds many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they’ll never take our freedom"

Maybe a very redneck version of the Saint Crispin's day speech. blush We few.. We brave few!

Re: Kill the Can - 04/09/14 11:54 AM

I heard the sound track from Patton .

Or was it Rocky ?

Re: Kill the Can - 04/09/14 09:28 PM

HA HA!!!

So today, the cravings are back. This isn't cool. I'm ready to be done with it all. I had about an hour of good time today where I wasn't thinking about it. I was working my horse and was doing just fine. But after that it hit me like a dump truck. I was walking around the garden and noticed deer tracks all through it. Nothing has started to come up yet seeing as I just got it in the ground 4 days ago. From the path and lack of pauses in the steps it looks like they're headed to the pond. So I grabbed a few trail cameras and was setting the up. As soon as I grabbed those cameras I wanted a can of chew more than oxygen! It took a good 20 minutes for it to go away.

Has anyone else gotten a random mega craving? crazy

Re: Kill the Can - 04/09/14 09:33 PM

Nope. Tomorrow will be 3 weeks.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/09/14 09:36 PM

Yup, I'm on like day 12, and since day 9, it's progressively gotten worse. Today has been the worst, couldn't focus, extremely angry all day.....hard day
Posted By: Chancey

Re: Kill the Can - 04/09/14 10:56 PM

Wonderful thread Gentlemen! I just found it! Perfect timing too!! I've been reading through it, but could not wait to post to let ya'll know how happy I was to find some people that feel my pain.

Started dipping when I was a little kid. Had two older brothers, family etc. that did it and I looked up to em. Dipped 23 years and just decided a couple of weeks ago to quit. Been dipping 3 cans of Grizzly fine cut natural a day for the last five years. Just keeps getting worse. Even my friends that dip call me a "chronic dipper."

It has been very hard, but the Smokey Mountain helps me even though it tastes pretty rank. Good luck to all!
Posted By: RUoutdoorsman

Re: Kill the Can - 04/09/14 11:22 PM

Went through a can of timberwolf wintergreen a day for 12 years...tried and failed to quit numerous times...what helped me what jakes mint chew. Similar to my timberwolf but not nicotine or tobacco, just wintergreen flavored ground up mint leaves. I use it less and less but it is nice to have when I get the urge.

About a month after I quit, went to the dentist for routine cleaning he found a precancerous lesion on my gum line. Went away eventually but I have never seriously thought about realistically putting in another dip after that.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/09/14 11:46 PM

Yup, I'm on like day 12, and since day 9, it's progressively gotten worse. Today has been the worst, couldn't focus, extremely angry all day.....hard day

Nicotine has a pretty tight grip on you. Keep fighting back.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/10/14 12:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Chancey
Wonderful thread Gentlemen! I just found it! Perfect timing too!! I've been reading through it, but could not wait to post to let ya'll know how happy I was to find some people that feel my pain.

Welcome aboard the wagon!

Re: Kill the Can - 04/10/14 02:28 AM

I'm fighting, just thought it would get better, not worse by now

Re: Kill the Can - 04/10/14 03:08 AM

Did you get any MINT SNUFF? Like I posted at the beginning.

No. Then you do not really want to quit.

THERE ARE NO WITHDRAW FEELINGS when uing MINT SNUFF.

I know, I quit in March, 1993. But, like I wrote, you do not really want to quit. Do you? So go ahead and dip and stop acting like you want to quit. I told you what to get and you ignored it. So stop B.S.ing us about how you want to quit.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/10/14 07:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Steven Trosper

I know, I quit in March, 1993. But, like I wrote, you do not really want to quit. Do you? So go ahead and dip and stop acting like you want to quit. I told you what to get and you ignored it. So stop B.S.ing us about how you want to quit.

I've used mint snuff in the past. I had friends that tried to quit using it. IMO you're holding onto the habit. There may be no nicotine, but using a crutch like that is for someone who is weak and doesn't really want to quit. I think if any of us didn't really WANT to quit we would've given in by now. As far as I remember this thread has been nothing but an area to vent and support each other.

Congrats on quitting so long ago. We are on our own paths and what worked for you may not work for us. If you want to act like an old bear that "knows what everyone should do" and has the "my way or the highway" attitude then I suggest you take your highway somewhere else.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/10/14 07:39 AM

Yeah....next time I need a psychologist, I know who to ask. I'm tobacco free 13 days in for the first time in 18 years, I think I'll stay that way. Thanks for your thoughts though...., I'm quitting the habit as well as the nicotine, therefore I don't want any substitute for this process. Plus, goin from snuff to anything mint is really no comparison for me

Re: Kill the Can - 04/10/14 08:23 AM

Brick wall times

This is the hard time 99. Do not cave ! It might last a few days to a week.. But you you made it this far.

I am really praying for you now brother

Re: Kill the Can - 04/10/14 08:24 AM

Originally Posted By: On a Call
Brick wall times

This is the hard time 99. Do not cave ! It might last a few days to a week.. But you made it this far.

I am really praying for you now brother

Re: Kill the Can - 04/10/14 08:28 AM

Yeah....next time I need a psychologist, I know who to ask. I'm tobacco free 13 days in for the first time in 18 years, I think I'll stay that way. Thanks for your thoughts though...., I'm quitting the habit as well as the nicotine, therefore I don't want any substitute for this process. Plus, goin from snuff to anything mint is really no comparison for me
Outlaw you're doing great!! Proud of you ...all you guys! Hang in there..it gets better ! Just don't give in...you have the hardest part beat already...awesome job!!

Re: Kill the Can - 04/10/14 08:36 AM

Thanks fellas, I'd be too ashamed to give in now after all your support

Re: Kill the Can - 04/10/14 08:40 AM

Hang in there Outlaw...all you guys honest..it get's better! That's why it seemed to help me when I thought about it to just say YUCK anytime I wanted to give in...lol..cuz I liked it too...just seemed to help my brain re-adjust..be proud of yourselves you are doing a super job!!

Re: Kill the Can - 04/10/14 10:01 PM

Kinda quiet in here boys, where ol Steven Trosper at with his infinite words of wisdom.....lol. 13 days clean, today was better.....tomm I fly wih the wife to the great city of Chicago for the weekend, ....that should prove a test for sure! Good luck boys
Posted By: griz16p

Re: Kill the Can - 04/11/14 02:38 AM

Well after reading this post when it started I too decided to quit. Sunday will be 2 weeks. I got online and looked for some fake chew, I've tried a lot of different flavors and brands and haven't been impressed with any of them. Today I got some "hooch" brand in the mail and it is awesome! I've only tried the mint and spit fire so far and I'm very happy with both. It's not the mint leaf flavor as most of them and doesn't fall apart in your mouth. If anyone needs something help I would strongly recommend hooch!

Re: Kill the Can - 04/11/14 02:52 AM

Outlaw, glad today was better for you! I'm still tobacco free and going strong, still get the urge once in awhile but like you said, I'm too deep now to want to screw it up. Keep up the good work everybody!

Re: Kill the Can - 04/11/14 04:22 AM

Good work fellas, see u in the am

Re: Kill the Can - 04/11/14 05:10 AM

Today was better for me too. There were two times that I REALLY wanted a dip, but I did like someone else suggested and just said "yuck". I think my ADHD helps with this. I jump from thought to thought and so I don't linger on dip too long. HA HA!

I have plans lined up for the next 3 days. I'll be busy busy! That always helps too.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/11/14 11:43 AM

Day 15 here. I tell ya what, training coon hounds at night really makes a guy want a pinch. Holy moly last night I was dying. My buddy that was with helping me training dogs was dipping the whole time and all I wanted to do was have one dip. keep it up fellers. it'll get easier eventually

Re: Kill the Can - 04/11/14 12:00 PM

That is when wil power pays off.

Well done not to ask for a dip.
Posted By: Hartman

Re: Kill the Can - 04/11/14 04:21 PM

24 hrs without a dip of my beloved Skoal Mint. NOT GOOOD. just about broke down a couple of times but so far im hanging in there

Re: Kill the Can - 04/11/14 05:56 PM

Day 14, not so as today, but I'm sitting at the airport drinking Busch light...that helps smile. .... Good luck fellas
Posted By: barrington

Re: Kill the Can - 04/11/14 07:47 PM

I became sick as a dog on Sunday and had no desire to chew until Tuesday when I started to feel better. I put in a chew and thought I wasnt better yet, it didnt taste the same to me. I said I wasnt going to buy any more chew and so far I have not, well today i was getting a bit stressed so I went out to the truck for a can I knew I had in there. I poped the lid and returned the lid and tossed the full can in the trash, well it bounced out and rolled back to my feet, I picked it up again and removed the lid and dumped the full can on the shop floor. The hard part will be watching friends pop the top near me, and getting gas and the attendent setting 2 cans on the counter for me without even asking.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/11/14 08:00 PM

Not to worry barrington, the attendant will get the picture. The attendant at the Quick Mart I purchased my cigarettes at always laid a pack of Marlboro Lights on the counter when I stopped by and she saw me coming in the door. I told her I quit and that was the end of placing a pack of smokes on the counter. 48 days for me, I know smoking and dipping are not the same, but reading this thread helps me and keeps me from buying a pack of smokes.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/11/14 08:30 PM

I have never felt that I was hooked on chew, but if you were around when I was out of it I bet you would dissagree

Re: Kill the Can - 04/11/14 10:26 PM

Originally Posted By: barrington
I became sick as a dog on Sunday and had no desire to chew until Tuesday when I started to feel better. I put in a chew and thought I wasnt better yet, it didnt taste the same to me. I said I wasnt going to buy any more chew and so far I have not, well today i was getting a bit stressed so I went out to the truck for a can I knew I had in there. I poped the lid and returned the lid and tossed the full can in the trash, well it bounced out and rolled back to my feet, I picked it up again and removed the lid and dumped the full can on the shop floor. The hard part will be watching friends pop the top near me, and getting gas and the attendent setting 2 cans on the counter for me without even asking.

Ask them to please not dip around you

Re: Kill the Can - 04/13/14 01:30 PM

Good morning everyone, how is everyone doing? It's been quiet for a couple days hope everyone is still staying out of the can! Have a good one, its finally raining here so it looks like its going to be an uneventful day.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/13/14 01:33 PM

Good job MeltnMetal for beating the chew...awesome job all you guys!!

Re: Kill the Can - 04/13/14 02:29 PM

Im going on 48 hours soo far. still reaching in my empty pocket ,and feeling for the can in the truck console.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/13/14 03:05 PM

Checking in and still goin strong.... Don't see any point in goin back now

Re: Kill the Can - 04/14/14 12:17 AM

Made it through a weekened without niccotine in chicago.....I'm even impressed with myself

Re: Kill the Can - 04/14/14 12:18 AM

Keep it up fellas!

chris

Re: Kill the Can - 04/14/14 12:20 AM

This post started March 26, 2014-2 weeks ago last Thursday. Had you used MINT SNUFF at the beginning, like I mentioned, you would be over it now! But no, you ignored me. I still do not believe you want to really quit.

So go ahead, do it one day at a time and never really quit. It will always be in the back of your head to start up again, I know, I quit a total of five times before I finally did quit. So, go ahead and get mouth cancer, have your teeth fall out and get those white riugh spots inside your mouth. But do not come back on in a year from now twlling us how you are quitting-again.

You do not want ot listen to me, fine, it is your mouth, not mine-get cancer of the mouth. Maybe then you will wish you had listen to me rather than ignore me.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/14/14 03:13 AM

You are right steven, no one here wants to listen to you smile......hahahahahahhaha, keep up the good work boys, stay away from that mint stuff

Re: Kill the Can - 04/14/14 03:34 AM

You selling the stuff or what?
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Kill the Can - 04/14/14 03:41 AM

I quit smoking in 91. still chew levi garrett. when I was smoking I chewed Copenhagen. gave up the Marlboros and Copenhagen. think ill keep on with the levi garrett. don't get sores from it. figured have a cigar a couple times a year too. bout all I can handle. after I smoke one I keep thinking about another for three four days.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/14/14 03:51 AM

I dipped ever sense I was 8. Did that till Mom got a hold of me, but it was too late. Tried stopping several times......this is the fourth time to try and quit! I'm going to beat it this time!

Re: Kill the Can - 04/14/14 07:53 AM

2 weeks, it's downhill from here. Feelin good boys. Let's keep it up

Re: Kill the Can - 04/14/14 08:01 AM

Awesome job Outlaw and all you that quit...ya made it this far you got it beat...just tell yourself....YUCK...lol

Re: Kill the Can - 04/14/14 08:07 AM

Mornin Steve, I'm just headed to bed. Just got home from a severely over due flight from a weekend in Chicago. It's good to be back in iowa

Re: Kill the Can - 04/14/14 08:09 AM

Mornin bud...gnight I guess...lol...you are doing super..you beat the nicotine...awesome!!

Re: Kill the Can - 04/14/14 08:12 AM

Yeah, i figure if I can make it through a weekend in a place like Chicago with no chew, I don't need it period anymore!

Re: Kill the Can - 04/14/14 08:28 AM

I'd say you gotter whupped!! smile
Posted By: Hartman

Re: Kill the Can - 04/14/14 11:15 AM

Day 4 for me....a bit sweaty and shakey but doing okay. Threw half a can in the garbage on day 2 just in case temptation overtook me. Chewing sunflower seeds helps a bit when driving. Good luck to all!

Re: Kill the Can - 04/14/14 11:17 AM

Hang in there Hartman it gets a lil better every day...good job!!

Re: Kill the Can - 04/14/14 11:28 AM

Hey I have not read your posts for a few days guys.

How are you hanging ????

Anyone give up and go back to the juice ? Addictions are a tough to break.

B

Re: Kill the Can - 04/14/14 01:17 PM

Not a chance

Re: Kill the Can - 04/14/14 01:41 PM

Going good here, I'm not going back! Saving money and saving my mouth

Re: Kill the Can - 04/14/14 01:42 PM

So you guys are like two weeks on the wagon ?

Re: Kill the Can - 04/14/14 02:22 PM

Coming up on a year for me. May 5th.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/14/14 02:27 PM

A year...that is milestone you done well grasshopper.

So tell us the highs and lows not that you are free of it...or is there still times where you think you sure would like a dip ?

Re: Kill the Can - 04/14/14 02:34 PM

So you guys are like two weeks on the wagon ?

I quit on March 28th... Aint no going back now. Im glad to see this post expand the way it did. Makes it alot easier on me and hopefully helped out a few other folks. Seems to be a good excuse to check on T-man too. Keep up the good work guys

Re: Kill the Can - 04/14/14 03:45 PM

I am on day 13. Going good. This weekend was very easy.... messed my back up so I was on the couch all day yesterday. I have not really beene tempted too bad. I think the challenege will be if I am around someone who is and/or next trapping season. I know I have said it before, but it is amazing how much better my mouth feels. I am certain I am beyond any physical addiction, just the mental side to overcome.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/14/14 04:27 PM

Wow, if everybody does what Steve Trosper says you can be just like him. Amazing! I quit almost 4 weeks ago and never used your mint stuff so I guess you aren't a know it all.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/14/14 07:23 PM

I can say that as a can a day chewer for 18 years, it seemed to take a solid 2 weeks to really get over the hump of the nicotine addiction. I don't know that's its completely gone, but it's very tolerable now. As far as thinking about/ wanting a chew, I still think about it multiple times daily, but the panic and crazed feelings are gone. Now, I think about wanting one, and know I can't, and won't have one. Giver heck for two weeks boys, and I promise it'll get easier after that.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/15/14 12:44 AM

Been done now for 7 years after 28yrs of doing it. You will always think about it. It just gets easier to not be tempted or give in with every year passed.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/15/14 03:24 AM

This post started March 26, 2014-2 weeks ago last Thursday. Had you used MINT SNUFF at the beginning, like I mentioned, you would be over it now! But no, you ignored me. I still do not believe you want to really quit.

So go ahead, do it one day at a time and never really quit. It will always be in the back of your head to start up again, I know, I quit a total of five times before I finally did quit. So, go ahead and get mouth cancer, have your teeth fall out and get those white riugh spots inside your mouth. But do not come back on in a year from now twlling us how you are quitting-again.

You do not want ot listen to me, fine, it is your mouth, not mine-get cancer of the mouth. Maybe then you will wish you had listen to me rather than ignore me.

I'm really confused. Does Steven think that we're all still dipping? How does dipping "MINT SNUFF" keep us from getting mouth cancer, teeth falling out, etc? Does he think that if we DON'T dip "MINT SNUFF" we're bound to go back to tobacco?

STEVEN!!! Listen closely, GO AWAY! NO ONE CARES DUDE!

Re: Kill the Can - 04/15/14 03:26 AM

Update on my progress. I'm holding strong! This weekend was intense. I had some people come in town that really raise my stress level but unlike before, I wasn't reaching for the can. I think the habit is finally wearing off. I heard today that it takes something likt 30 days to break a habit. Well, the nicotine was gone after 3 days so if you've made it this far it's just a mind game from here on out brothers.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/15/14 03:44 AM

Dad, good work. I know what your sayin about certain people and stress levels causing the urge, but it's getting much easier to resist now.......and to think, all of this has been made possible thanks to Steven and his mint snuss LOL

Re: Kill the Can - 04/15/14 04:57 AM

Outlaw... BAA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!! I'm wondering if secretly he's using some sort of abstract, reverse psychology on us. By telling us that we can't quit any other way, we will rebel against him and his mint fluff and quit without a crutch?

Ok, I'll stop being mean to him now. I just think it's pretty arrogant of someone to think they have all the answers. I know a couple of people like that and if it wasn't for relation to them I'd avoid them at all cost.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/15/14 05:19 AM

Steven I used the jakes mint chew . Quit over 1 year ago . To this day I want to chew and I used the mint .

Mouth cancer is caused by many different factors . Chewing mint snuff will give you cancer just like tobacco . Mouth cancer can be caused from the calluses caused by irritation to the gums .

When I quit I wanted to quit I found the mint help me but that was my journey . Not every body will be the same but keep at it .

Just visited a friend to day how got done with kimmo and radiation treatment for throat cancer . He did not chew or drink just happen

Re: Kill the Can - 04/16/14 04:31 PM

whats the good word today fellas?

Re: Kill the Can - 04/16/14 06:13 PM

Mark 1:14-18
After John was put in prison, Jesus went into Galilee, proclaiming the good news of God. "The time has come," He said. "The kingdom of God has come near. Repent and believe the good news!" As Jesus walked beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. "Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will send you out to fish for people." At once they left their nets and followed Him. (NIV)

I'd say that's pretty good news!

As far as dipping, I had some wild cravings last night. I'm working noon till 3am right now grabbing some OT. Maybe it's lack of sleep, maybe over stimulation from caffeine. I have a rental right now while my car is in the shop. My wife was driving and got hit. In the mean time, I have a brand new Dodge Ram (don't like it). I used to have several big fancy trucks and they always had spit bottles. I actually got a craving because this new truck reminded me of older days. Still yet, I'm holding strong.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/16/14 06:20 PM

great post Dad, I'm with ya on everything you posted, stayin strong as well

Re: Kill the Can - 04/16/14 07:29 PM

Going strong here, have a good one!

Re: Kill the Can - 04/16/14 10:57 PM

Haven't caved in yet but am going crazy. Got that smokey mountain stuff but it gives me a headache and tastes like crap. Won't go back though.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/17/14 12:17 AM

Im not trying to be a wise guy but what is happening? I find that I desire a chew after lunch.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/17/14 12:44 AM

I desire to chew after a lot of things, but I don't, because I made the decision to quit.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/17/14 12:51 AM

The desire will be there for awhile I feel, but you are quitting for a reason, not because you don't like it anymore. Just keep with it, we'e got your back

Re: Kill the Can - 04/17/14 12:52 AM

Still goin here. Some days are better than others but its a good feeling knowing that its over. Yeah the cravings are there, but I'm done. I am sure my can has been killed. Good job fellas. Keep it up!

Re: Kill the Can - 04/17/14 01:23 AM

Stay with it....trust me you will, I promise, will have traps set for you when you least expect or feel like you are owed a dip.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/17/14 08:39 AM

You guys can all be proud of yourselves...Awesome job quitting!! smile

Re: Kill the Can - 04/18/14 03:18 AM

Originally Posted By: barrington
Im not trying to be a wise guy but what is happening? I find that I desire a chew after lunch.

body, chemisty stuff that I learned about one time but forgot. Much like keeping a woman happy, except I don't think I ever learned that in the first place. So really my reply helps answer nothing and only confirms that women are impossible to understand. confused

Re: Kill the Can - 04/18/14 01:46 PM

Mouth cancer is caused by many different factors . Chewing mint snuff will give you cancer just like tobacco . Mouth cancer can be caused from the calluses caused by irritation to the gums .

TeamV, explain how using MINT SNUFF for a total of two weeks, that is 14 days will give a person mouth cancer?

Okay, perhaps this will get through that dim, milk like preception all of you call a mind-I doubt, but it is worth a try.

You only use MINT SNUFFfor about 2 weeks! It is not a substitute.

Had you morons used MINT SNUFF beginning on March 27th, you would be tobacco-free TODAY! But none of you were even a little bit curious if MINT SNUFF worked. What a bunch of losers.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/18/14 02:15 PM

we are all still tobacco free Dr. Steven....hahahahahaha. You sure seem like a smart feller, I'd love to meet you face to face. Will you be attending any major conventions this year (trapping that is, not medical)? I'd really love to meet up with you, and personally thank you for all your support and kind words.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/18/14 02:20 PM

lol...good one Outlaw...proud of you..ya got it beat...awesome! You even did it with out mint snuff...lol

Re: Kill the Can - 04/18/14 02:27 PM

Yep! You "beat it". In a year you will be back dipping. I know, I tried quitting several times and always went back.

You want to be smart mouths? Fine, go ahead, act like the fools you are. I am beginning to understand why I do not see any post from some of the big name trappers on here like I saw back 10 years ago. They got tired of all of you who know it alls.
Posted By: SOUTHERN STEEL

Re: Kill the Can - 04/18/14 02:31 PM

I quit copenhagen after 15 or so years,very hard on me at first, my wife even said she was gonna go buy me more I was being so hard to get along with... She also told me it was making my gums receed, I told her no...my teeth were growing!lol.It was tough but well worth what I went through to be tobacco free. Good luck to ya!

Re: Kill the Can - 04/18/14 02:43 PM

Steve, I dont care for your tone or the name calling. Go play somewhere else

Re: Kill the Can - 04/18/14 02:46 PM

I believe the " big name" trappers got tired of people like yourself, not the few of us discussing quitting an addiction with one another. Have a good day big guy!

Re: Kill the Can - 04/18/14 02:56 PM

Steve . Man you just have to bring a negative to something so positive .

Re: Kill the Can - 04/18/14 04:19 PM

Ok, everything going well here. on Day 17 and it is getting easier all the time. So with this Steven fella, I do not understand how two weeks of using mint snuff would prevent a recurrence a year down the road? That makes little sense. I could see how using a substitute for two weeks would help on the inital withdrawl, but it would be no different long-term unless you are still using the mink snuff a year later and that would defeat the whole purpose.

I am going with the theory that Mr. Steven is a pyschologist. He is motivating us by telling us we can't quit cold turkey. That inspires us to be defiant. To me, the best motivation is hearing about all of you going through this at the same time.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/18/14 04:28 PM

I did the mint last time I tried to quit, cold turkey works for me. Im just starting day 8 chew free.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/18/14 05:06 PM

Steven, is there any way you could post your personal phone number on this thread, so whenever one of us "smart mouthed fools" feels weak and like caving, when can call you for inspiration? smile

Re: Kill the Can - 04/18/14 06:18 PM

Steven, is there any way you could post your personal phone number on this thread, so whenever one of us "smart mouthed fools" feels weak and like caving, when can call you for inspiration? smile
lol...good one!! Or even jus pm would be great too...but would save time making it public laugh shocked crazy

Re: Kill the Can - 04/19/14 07:55 PM

Recent studies have indicated that prolonged used if mint snuff can lead to lack of brain cells, and increased risk of dimentia.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/19/14 08:15 PM

I just read that myself! How's it going for everyone? Good here, cut some wood this morning now I'm going to start working over traps for next year. Have a good one!
Posted By: Savell

Re: Kill the Can - 04/19/14 08:28 PM

I came in here to bum a dip of snuff.....looks like I went to the wrong place lol
Posted By: Big Sam

Re: Kill the Can - 04/19/14 08:36 PM

Yep! You "beat it". In a year you will be back dipping. I know, I tried quitting several times and always went back.

You want to be smart mouths? Fine, go ahead, act like the fools you are. I am beginning to understand why I do not see any post from some of the big name trappers on here like I saw back 10 years ago. They got tired of all of you who know it alls.
Wow. You sure are a friendly sort of fellow.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/19/14 09:31 PM

Give Steven a break will ya...you know it is hard to see success when ya fail so often.
Posted By: cascade

Re: Kill the Can - 04/19/14 09:36 PM

I worked in the logging industry for 40 yrs, starting after I turned 18. I remember my first day that I rode on a crew bus. There were around 25 or 30 guys smoking or chewing on the bus. It wasn't long until I started smoking and chewing and soon was hooked on tobacco. I would smoke and chew at the same time. If I ran out of chew I would chew the tobacco from a cigarette butt. After about 30 or 35 years my daughter and I made an agreement that I would stop using tobacco, and I made a promise to her that I would quit. That was around 27 yrs ago, and I haven't touched tobacco since. I still have cravings to this day to have a chew, but I know if I have just one chew I will be hooked again. If I smell chewing tobacco my mouth starts to water. After reading about you guy's commitment to quit I think about how hard it was for me to stop. All of you guys who have made the decision to quit, You can do it. If I can, anyone can. Greg

Re: Kill the Can - 04/19/14 10:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Savell
I came in here to bum a dip of snuff.....looks like I went to the wrong place lol

Savell, u ain't gotta worry about it, it's fashionable not to have any teeth in your parts smile

Re: Kill the Can - 04/19/14 10:52 PM

What the? The mint stuff still has nicotine, right? If I'd have went that way I'd still be chewing it. Been like 18 days and I like the five dollar bills adding up in my dresser drawer. Ain't going back

Re: Kill the Can - 04/19/14 11:19 PM

Are you putting the money aside everyday that you woul have spent
Posted By: Big Sam

Re: Kill the Can - 04/20/14 12:53 AM

Originally Posted By: bwtrapper
What the? The mint stuff still has nicotine, right? If I'd have went that way I'd still be chewing it. Been like 18 days and I like the five dollar bills adding up in my dresser drawer. Ain't going back
Its made with mint leaves and has no nicotene in it. Just a replacment to have in your lip while getting off the real stuff.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/20/14 01:05 AM

Yeah Barrington has a good point.

Send to me every day what you would have spent. I will hold onto it and keep it safe.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/22/14 03:19 AM

I didn't know YOU were a big name trapper. As for the people you speak of, I'm thinking they aren't on here because of you.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/23/14 10:20 AM

Still goin.....

Re: Kill the Can - 04/23/14 11:44 AM

Still going here as well, hope its going the same for everyone else! Have a good one
Posted By: uglydog

Re: Kill the Can - 04/23/14 03:55 PM

I chewed for 15 years went to bed 15 nights ago and told myself I am done chewing. Have not had a chew since. Chewing could be the hardest habbit to quit. After day five your body is thanking you I have never felt so good in 15 years!!!! But I still miss chewing, Made it this long not ever going to take another dip. Good luck to all it is hard but the hardest part is to commit.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/23/14 04:09 PM

Yep, going good here. I think it was 3 weeks yesterday since I quit. Physically feel great, still get the mental urge here and there. Actually had a dream last night hwere I gave in. I woke up and was mad at myself, but then quickly realized it was a dream. Man for that stuff to show up in your dream, it is powerful.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/23/14 08:44 PM

I dream about it at least 3 nights a week. This Friday will make it a month with out it. First time in 16 years, I still miss it every day, but there's no turning back.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/23/14 08:50 PM

Hang in there Nick...just say to yourself...yuck!! Even if you did enjoy the taste of it...think of having to go through withdrawals ...again...mouth cancer...sores...yuck...You been a month...you got it beat bud...don't look back!! Get a jar and stick all the $$ you saved the past month...and add to it every day..week or whatever...then buy a new rifle...sled...traps...Awesome job ALL you guys that whipped the dip!! laugh

Re: Kill the Can - 04/23/14 09:38 PM

Thanks Steve. There ain't no turning back now, it'd be too embarrassing to let's all the good people like yourself, and others on this site that have supported me

Re: Kill the Can - 04/23/14 09:41 PM

Proud of you Nick..it's a tuff sob to beat but ya did it! Seriously get that jar full of $$ and get something cool you have always wanted...Rewards...lol

Re: Kill the Can - 04/23/14 11:14 PM

I am still good and yes the money is going in my dresser drawer every day. Over the nicotine part but still think about it all the time.
Posted By: Osky

Re: Kill the Can - 04/23/14 11:25 PM

Hats off to all of you. I never did chew but I remember quitting cigs. My respect.
osky

Re: Kill the Can - 04/26/14 02:14 AM

Still goin strong here! Some days it feels like I never dipped in my life, other days all I can think about is grabbing a pinch. Stick with it fellers

Re: Kill the Can - 04/26/14 02:20 AM

You guys are doing great!

chris

Re: Kill the Can - 04/26/14 11:47 AM

One month yesterday for me.....it's done, but I still miss it most days. Cope was always the best treatment for stress for me, I haven't found a good replacement yet.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/26/14 11:49 AM

Awesome job to you too Riverman...you got it beat!!

Re: Kill the Can - 04/26/14 11:51 AM

Mornin Nick...I started chewin Big Red gum...did the same thing for me..stress relief...lol.Then I started getting cavities and had to quit it too..but no more chew for me...been 22..or 23 yrs...

Re: Kill the Can - 04/26/14 11:57 AM

Mornin Steve, congrats on 22 years, I'd say you got it whooped lol. I ain't real big into sweets either. I ain't had a cavity in my life, and I don't intend to start after I give up chewing lol. I just need to learn to deal with stress without having to have a crutch like nicotine.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/26/14 12:12 PM

One month yesterday for me.....it's done, but I still miss it most days. Cope was always the best treatment for stress for me, I haven't found a good replacement yet.

Outlaw, do you run at all? I don't mean to the crapper either. Go for a 20 minute run and you'll feel good all day!

Re: Kill the Can - 04/26/14 12:18 PM

Thanks for the reminder USMC. 4 weeks ago when I quit, I was hitting the elyptical for 45 min followed up with some p90x ab ripper. You're right, it felt good and I was less stressed. The 3 weeks since then, I've been killin too many cans of Busch light instead. It's just been making me feel darker and fatter lol. Thanks for the tip and reminder.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/26/14 12:37 PM

For me the gum just kept my mouth busy..instead of chew.Got my workouts peeling logs..horn huntin..chasin lions...47 is right a guy has to get his blood going and you do feel better for sure.
Posted By: Mittashunagi

Re: Kill the Can - 04/26/14 12:50 PM

yes, the best way is just quit. No matter how you process it, in the end, that's what will happen, quit. I used to chew RedMan- used to concrete powertrowel every day, could spit 12 feet and hit a quarter size area that needed some moisture. I'll never forget the picture of some of those finished floors "Appaloosaed" with dark spots of RedMan stains. then I started working with the public, at large, so I picked up the "cleaner" habit of smoking cigarettes. that started and stopped for about six years, then finally, I knew it had to stop. I started and stopped smoking about 500 times, highly stressful job, many excuses to smoke! but I could always see the end result, that I would quit for good. I would even buy of pack of Old Golds, take one out, throw the pack out(ah heck,i admit,maybey take out 2 0r 3 , then throw out the rest of the pack.

That was my way, stupid, yeah, "stupid is as stupid does", and Lordy, that's me, a simpleton,but with mostly good intent. But it worked. I haven't smoked attall for 35 years, finally, in the last five years, the urge to light up an old gold is still there,but as the years of gone by the urge is greatly diminished. i don't smoke ar all,i have quit!

However, if I were to find out, my END is near,I'd have to light up the Old GOLD and think about the better days in life

Good luck, man it's tough! as always,-Semper Fi

Re: Kill the Can - 04/26/14 01:48 PM

Good morning and good job everyone! Outlaw I hear ya I've gained just about ten pounds,
Seems like I picked up snacking when I quit chewing, the blue yummies filled the gap too unfortunately. Everybody have a good day, I've got benefit ride calling my name, have a good one

Re: Kill the Can - 04/26/14 02:17 PM

You done a good thing here Riverman, inspiring all these folks to quit a killer habit along with you.

Keep at it fella's!

Re: Kill the Can - 04/29/14 02:20 PM

One month and change strong

Re: Kill the Can - 04/29/14 02:38 PM

Going good here, have a good one and be safe!

Re: Kill the Can - 04/29/14 03:40 PM

Awesome job all you guys!! It's a bugger to beat for sure but you did it...now take the $$ you saved and get a new rifle or traps...something cool!!! laugh

Re: Kill the Can - 04/29/14 03:53 PM

Still strong here. 4 weeks today! Honestly, I realize I had not even thought about it a day or two until I saw this thread pop up.

Re: Kill the Can - 04/29/14 04:49 PM

My apologies for reminding ya vermillion ...... smile

Re: Kill the Can - 05/09/14 07:59 PM

So how are all you folks doing. 76 days without a cigarette for me.

Re: Kill the Can - 05/10/14 02:22 AM

Doing good here, not sure on the number of days but I haven't chewed since around the time this post started. I hope everyone is doing well and staying healthy!

Re: Kill the Can - 05/10/14 02:39 AM

Still off it, still miss it nonstop everyday

Re: Kill the Can - 05/13/14 01:17 AM

So...how are you guys hanging ??

Re: Kill the Can - 05/13/14 02:02 AM

Still hanging, still not much fun

Re: Kill the Can - 05/13/14 02:18 AM

It ain't no fun yet!

Re: Kill the Can - 05/13/14 06:20 AM

Wow...then my hat is off to you guys and you are still in my Prayers.

If you have not given in you have made the big hurdle ! However as I mentioned....it will not be easy for some time.

Fun will come...also a time when you will say I am over it...but its your journey and you will know when you can say that.

Stick with it, it is worth it.

Re: Kill the Can - 05/13/14 07:19 AM

Awesome job guys...you are doing great! And what OAC said X2...all of it. You guys have made it this long you got it whupped!

Re: Kill the Can - 05/13/14 07:22 AM

1 year and 8 days for me!

Re: Kill the Can - 05/13/14 07:34 AM

Originally Posted By: USMC47
1 year and 8 days for me!
Awesome 47! Been a long time for me too and honest I can say I am so glad I quit...dang chew is $5 acan..or more...crazy crazy

Re: Kill the Can - 05/13/14 11:13 AM

47... how often do you crave ?

Re: Kill the Can - 05/13/14 11:38 AM

47... how often do you crave ?

Never. Ever. I can have 8 Marines in my office sharing a trash can and don't think twice about it. That came at about 6 or 8 months.

Re: Kill the Can - 05/13/14 12:32 PM

Morning everyone, doing good here. Still drool all over when I see a can every now and then, but I'm glad I'm done with it. Have a good one!

Re: Kill the Can - 05/13/14 08:28 PM

I haven't touched the stuff since my first post of the topic. Lost count how long now.

Re: Kill the Can - 05/13/14 11:19 PM

Still havent touched it either. But the BP in town sells the smokey mountain stuff and I keep buying a can every 3 or 4 days. Just can't quit thinking about it.

Re: Kill the Can - 05/28/14 02:17 AM

94 days without a cigarette.
Posted By: Osky

Re: Kill the Can - 05/28/14 02:21 AM

Hate to ask, but does this mean it's time to give up my peace pipe?
Osky

Re: Kill the Can - 03/13/15 01:20 AM

Almost 2 years!

Re: Kill the Can - 03/14/15 02:16 AM

Congrats to all!
This February was one year for me.
I still grab a can of smokey mountain every now and then though.
Just something about having a dip after a cup of coffee.

Re: Kill the Can - 03/15/15 01:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Chancey
Congrats to all!
This February was one year for me.
I still grab a can of smokey mountain every now and then though.
Just something about having a dip after a cup of coffee.

A dip after a cup of coffee? Better already be on the throne!
Posted By: coon grease

Re: Kill the Can - 03/15/15 01:19 PM

Haven't had a chew since June or July. Never, ever, ever, did I think i would quit.

Re: Kill the Can - 10/19/15 01:44 AM

2.5 years.
Posted By: laker

Re: Kill the Can - 10/19/15 01:45 AM

Tomorrow is a month for me. Only time I crave one now is after a meal

Re: Kill the Can - 10/19/15 02:47 AM

32 months here
Posted By: Cougarw

Re: Kill the Can - 10/19/15 02:57 AM

Closing in on 16 months here. I could easily take a dip some days, but I don't. Other days the smell could make me gag.
Posted By: PA TRAPPER

Re: Kill the Can - 10/19/15 03:45 AM

Why quite if you enjoy it?
Posted By: 10bands

Re: Kill the Can - 10/19/15 03:59 AM

Originally Posted By: PA TRAPPER
Google "mouth cancer from chewing tobacco". I was going to post a pic but after seeing it I don't want too. 6 years for me. Cold turkey. Anyone can quit that garbage. You just have to want too.

Re: Kill the Can - 10/19/15 04:09 AM

10bands
Don't have to seen it,just saying if a person enjoys something why quit.
Posted By: laker

Re: Kill the Can - 10/19/15 04:16 AM

10bands
Don't have to seen it,just saying if a person enjoys something why quit.

I really enjoyed chewing but for me it was the thought of not being able to see my little girl grow up. Just not a chance that was worth taking anymore. That is why I quit doing something I enjoyed

Re: Kill the Can - 10/19/15 04:19 AM

Who said you wouldn't get to see your child grow up?

Re: Kill the Can - 10/19/15 04:22 AM

Man I glad I didn't have them thoughts,

Re: Kill the Can - 10/19/15 04:36 AM

Just playing the odds.

Used to like driving fast. Now I don't. Lower chance of tickets. Lower chance of wrecks. Lower chance of dying in a car. Better chance of lower insurance premiums.

I'd rather not wear gloves but I do when bedding coyote traps because research shows that it will increase my odds of catching one.

I keep my finger off the trigger until I'm ready to shoot because that has been proven to decrease my odds of putting a bullet where I don't want it.

Not using tobacco greatly increases my odds of not dying from it or trying to live with half a face.
Posted By: Backcountry

Re: Kill the Can - 10/19/15 04:37 AM

I wast told that a vast majority of mouth cancer patients also had a long history of very poor dental hygiene. Like never brushing their teeth.

I still dip. But take breaks every few months while trying to quit. The cost is what kills me, a tin of cope or more a day adds up fast. I'm 20 and have been off and on since I was 16.

Re: Kill the Can - 10/19/15 04:57 AM

I did give up drinking,but not because of figuring my liver was going to fall out or cancer.I quit because I became very unsociable so to speak.and I don't like confined spaces.

Re: Kill the Can - 10/19/15 05:02 AM

I did give up drinking,but not because of figuring my liver was going to fall out or cancer.I quit because I became very unsociable so to speak.and I don't like confined spaces.
Just increasing your odds wherever you can. I like it.

Re: Kill the Can - 10/19/15 05:10 AM

Thanks so does my family,I do use tobacco and really do enjoy it and most likely will quite when I'm gone.I took a lot of risk in life and survived lucky I guess.

Re: Kill the Can - 10/19/15 12:05 PM

True, A person has to figure out for themselves if the risks out weigh the rewards. For me the rewards out weighed the risks.
Posted By: beachcomber13

Re: Kill the Can - 10/19/15 12:40 PM

Hey, a BIG CONGRATULATIONS to all you guys for quitting!

I smoked for 34 years and loved it. I just hated myself for being so addicted to them and for paying 10+ dollars a day for something that was killing me.

Haven't had a smoke since February 15th and feel and look better everyday.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Kill the Can - 10/19/15 01:16 PM

Originally Posted By: cathryn
Im curious..why arw you waiting to quit ón friday and not today? My neighbor kwpt putting put off his "quitting" cause hed just brought a fresh roll.. Hé was diagnosed with lip cancer before hé Got around to quitting. The cancer ate off half of his lower lip.

I hope youre successful in your attempt to quit.

Hey Cathryn how long has It been for you LOL

Sorry I just had to do It.

Re: Kill the Can - 05/01/18 06:10 PM

So old thread, now that it has been 4 years who'd still going strong? How has it been? I'm still quit and at times it has been rough but I'm pretty proud that I've been able to stay off of it for so long.

Re: Kill the Can - 05/02/18 12:45 PM

I'm still dip free. May 5th or 12th of 2013. Good stuff.
Posted By: TreedaBlackdog

Re: Kill the Can - 05/02/18 01:09 PM

I think my to my first dip - teenager - swallowed some - light headed and puked.....never needed another one.

Re: Kill the Can - 05/02/18 01:50 PM

Still going strong sense April 2013. The bad part is that some day I still get in truck and look around for a can or will just get a bad craving for a dip.
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: Kill the Can - 05/02/18 02:03 PM

Been dipless for over 10 years. I only dipped during Marten/Fisher season for 4-5 years before that. Cope usually, but regular Skoal as a change-of-pace. I tried all the different chews/snuffs over the years. Filthy, dirty, disgusting habit...................I loved dipping.
Posted By: Larry Bowden

Re: Kill the Can - 05/02/18 10:13 PM

Been 20 years since I quit. My advise is to stay out of bars and away from people who chew. I was in a bar after not chewing for a year the first time, a friend opened a can and offered me a chew and I fell off the wagon. I chewed more than before for a year and quit the 2nd time. That was 20 years ago. Its tough but you can do it.
I figured up what I was spending on chew and beer. Figured I could make payments on a new Harley Davidson with that much money. Had plenty of urges to chew but went riding instead. Still riding today.
Good Luck my friend, you can do it!
Posted By: Mike13

Re: Kill the Can - 05/03/18 01:25 AM

Coming up on 1 year on May 5th . Sat in a job-related cancer class that day and on the way out threw my can in the trash. Haven't touched it since.

Re: Kill the Can - 05/12/18 11:21 PM

Way to go guys I know it sure hasn't been easy but its sure been worth it.

Re: Kill the Can - 12/14/18 01:05 PM

Man, it's been 5 1/2 years. I had a pinch about 2 or 3 months ago and nearly threw up. I'm definitely cured.
Posted By: bandy

Re: Kill the Can - 12/14/18 02:36 PM

11 years now best decision I made.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Kill the Can - 12/14/18 03:31 PM

It's been way over 15 years sinc I last touched the stuff, and don't miss it one bit. It is a disgusting habit, but when you chew, you overlook all that! Glad I quit, after fourty years of it, and never look back!
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Kill the Can - 12/14/18 05:00 PM

Ever see the pic's of the guy that had his lower jaw amputated because of cancer caused by chew?????
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Kill the Can - 12/15/18 07:34 AM

So a "can" is the same as a daily payment to a 300,000 $ house payment, so after 20 years you have spit your house away.

Cant believe this thread is 24 pages long.

Re: Kill the Can - 12/15/18 09:47 AM

Been since March 2016. Coming up on three years. Getting through the first trapping season and in the fur shed were the hardest. Now I don’t even think about it even when someone around me dips. It is very liberating to be free from it. I didn’t realize how much control something like that can have on a person.

Re: Kill the Can - 12/15/18 10:31 AM

i smoked a cigar when i was about 3-4. dad thought it would make me sick but it didn't. i liked it. when i was about 8 my uncle gave me a chew of days work plug. thought it would make me sick. it didn't. grampa smoked bull durham. liked to see my mom get mad when he tossed the bag to me and told me to roll him a cigarette. i liked it. when i was about 12 i started smoking. was earning my own money. thought the Marlboro man on tv was pretty cool. i didn't smoke constantly cause i had to hide it from my folks. by the time i was 15 they had gave up and i didn't hide anymore. when i was in my mid 30's i would cough every morning till i had a few cigarettes . daughter was in 3rd or 4th grade and came home crying. said they told her at school smoking would kill you and she didn't want me to die. i couldn't hardly tell her they were lying so i quit smoking. didn't quit the chew though. i like levi garret. gave that up last febuary. i still i miss it some but not near as bad as i did in march.

Re: Kill the Can - 12/15/18 10:44 AM

Re: Kill the Can - 02/14/22 01:10 PM

Nearly 9 years since I had any tobacco.
Posted By: trapper4002

Re: Kill the Can - 02/14/22 01:22 PM

The Hardest Part is the first 2 weeks.
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Kill the Can - 02/14/22 01:34 PM

Dipped for 31 years. All day. I'm almost 5 months tobacco free.

It sucked but had been worth it.

And I do love not spending all of that money.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Kill the Can - 02/14/22 01:35 PM

Congrats to all that quit.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Kill the Can - 02/14/22 01:37 PM

I grew up in the north and we never did gross things like this uppa north.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Kill the Can - 02/14/22 03:36 PM

I never started dip, drinking or smoke

I saw what it did to family

Re: Kill the Can - 02/14/22 03:46 PM

When its my turn to die, if I have time to reflect and know I'm down to just days or months, I think I will start chewing again. I still think about it pretty regular.
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: Kill the Can - 02/14/22 04:53 PM

My last was a flavor that was terrible to me

Re: Kill the Can - 02/14/22 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Nittany Lion
I never dipped but I did smoke. Started smoking in basic training at Fort Dix, NJ in June of 1965. In the early years I smoked Winston and was smoking close to 2 packs a day. After I got out of the Army I continued to smoke Winton's but did cut back to about a pack a day. Then sometime in the late 80's I switched to Marlboro Lights and reduced my intake to a half a pack a day. Since the early 90's I quit numerous time for periods of up to six months. The downfall was I would bum a smoke from someone and then I could no longer say I went "x" number of days without smoking. On February 21st of this year I quit again. Today makes 40 days without a smoke for me. I do not plan on bumming a smoke this time. From reading this thread it might be harder to quit the dip than to quit cigarette's. I don't think I get angry, but I sure do miss the nicotine. So far I only gained a pound or two.

I forgot I posted on this thread. I am glad to say it is now 8 years since I smoked.

Re: Kill the Can - 02/14/22 09:00 PM

One time I quit for a year by eating a whole can of Skoal wintergreen. A year later, I realized I could just change from wintergreen (the flavor I ate) to Skoal straight. At least it worked for a year. It only took 16 more years to quit.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Kill the Can - 02/14/22 11:30 PM

Good luck to ya! As noted, just don't buy anymore of that crap poison.
Posted By: Badger23

Re: Kill the Can - 02/14/22 11:54 PM

For everyone on here that has that habit or smoking and want to quit I wish you the best. Fortunately I don't have either of those habits. My parents were both heavy smokers and died at 64 and 65. I tried both chewing and smoking as a teenager and thankfully it never took hold.
I cured chewing by switching from skoal bandits to copenhagen one day because the guy I delivered feed with chewed it. I think I threw my guts up that day. Never chewed again, so i take that as a win looking back on it.
Posted By: coyote 1

Re: Kill the Can - 02/15/22 12:09 AM

The advice in this thread is solid. I quit chewing after 9 years in early October, smoked for 15 prior to that. Just have to quit and the first 2 weeks are the hardest just as it's been mentioned many times on here.

Good luck to everyone trying to quit.
Posted By: Donnie H

Re: Kill the Can - 02/15/22 12:40 AM

Been quit about 2 months of so.
I think it started when my ulcer got fared up.I
Kinda lost my taste too, civic I guess, and it
just didn't bother me to quit. I had dipped.for.around 7 or 8 years.
Smoked for.around 20 or so before that. Ain't really missed it.at all.
Got more money for bullets, powder, and still cant.afford.primers.when
I do find'em...lol
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Kill the Can - 02/15/22 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Blaine County

30+ years for me. Quit 6 years ago. How much does a can of Cope cost these days?

Re: Kill the Can - 02/15/22 12:59 AM

.. we cannot stop being men for fear of any disease regardless of probability... folks scared of everything these days ... enjoy life .. when the time comes regardless of the reason... die like a man

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Kill the Can - 02/15/22 01:11 AM

I quit cigarettes 43 years ago on my birthday and haven’t had one since. Like Nittany, I smoked two packs of Winston per day. Now, I can’t stand to even smell the smoke. Many people that smoke don’t realize how much the smoke makes their clothes, hair, breath, inside of their cars, even the furniture in their homes stink. Thankfully, I never chewed.
Posted By: bfflobo

Re: Kill the Can - 02/15/22 02:46 AM

When I started chewing Cope, it was 25 cents a can. When you took the lid off on a new can the Cope would swell up. Had to take a big first dip or you couldn't get the lid back on. Quit when the price was around $1.25. Maybe 20 years ago. Must of chewed for 20 years. Shows how inflation is speeding up. Nasty habit but still miss it at times. Will chew a pinch of coffee grounds at weak points.

Re: Kill the Can - 02/15/22 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by trapdog1
Originally Posted by Blaine County

30+ years for me. Quit 6 years ago. How much does a can of Cope cost these days?

6 ish bucks for what I was dipping at the end. Grizzly Straight.
Posted By: Pirogue

Re: Kill the Can - 02/15/22 03:22 AM

Im 467 days clean after a 40 year habit...Kill The Can family is what made it stick. It works.
Posted By: Pirogue

Re: Kill the Can - 02/15/22 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by Savell
.. we cannot stop being men for fear of any disease regardless of probability... folks scared of everything these days ... enjoy life .. when the time comes regardless of the reason... die like a man

[Linked Image]

Yup....you can say that... I did for years..... but trust me... fear of cancer is a great motivator to quit. Biopsys and grafts are great fun .

Re: Kill the Can - 02/15/22 03:58 AM

... what did you get biopsied and grafted and why Pirogue? .. just curious, if you’d not like to share I understand

... way I look at it is I’ve got six cylinders of cancer and all other ailment cure at the ready.. not afraid to use if the time comes... if god and family can’t understand that they’ll just have to spend their sundays trying to figure it out I guess
Posted By: trapper red 315

Re: Kill the Can - 02/15/22 01:03 PM

started chewing back in '79, after high school
chewed pretty much beech nut back then
then got on the grizzly wintergreen, about the time it came to market
buck, buck and a half a can
now here in ny its 7 bucks a can
penn is like 450 a can
chewed at work, never at home,the last 20 years

threw what was left of my last can out on december 21st
on the 24, ended up in the hospital with a hernia that went bad
on the 28, the docs put mesh across the inside of my belly, the chewing had over the year thinned out the muscles

mind you, I have survived bladder cancer 14 yrs ago, and now facing the possibility of dialysis, so i have incentive to stay clean
© 2024 Trapperman Forums