Home

chicken of the woods

Posted By: 52Carl

chicken of the woods - 09/18/17 11:45 PM

So I found a rather large chicken of the woods on the base of an oak tree. I have never cooked one before.
Any easy and simple cooking recommendations? I want to try a small piece to find out if I am not one of the few who have an allergic reaction to it.
Posted By: waggler

Re: chicken of the woods - 09/18/17 11:50 PM

Just saute it in a skillet with butter and a little olive oil, salt and pepper. I cooked up some a week or so ago that was great, it had just recently emerged. I've tried to cook it before when it was too old; terrible. If it's new growth you're in for a treat imo.

I assume we're talking about the same mushroom? AKA sulfur shelf?
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: chicken of the woods - 09/18/17 11:55 PM

My oldest son is the only one in our family that likes them.
Giant puff balls and sulfer shelf are the only mushrooms I don't like.

Re: chicken of the woods - 09/19/17 12:28 AM

Originally Posted By: waggler
Just saute it in a skillet with butter and a little olive oil, salt and pepper. I cooked up some a week or so ago that was great, it had just recently emerged. I've tried to cook it before when it was too old; terrible. If it's new growth you're in for a treat imo.

I assume we're talking about the same mushroom? AKA sulfur shelf?

Yep. Sulfur shelf and its real fresh.

Re: chicken of the woods - 09/19/17 12:59 AM

I just got done sauteing some in butter with salt and pepper and a little garlic salt.
Awesome! I cut it in different thicknesses and found that 3/16" seems to be ideal. I like it well done. I will add olive oil to the butter next time to prevent the butter from turning black.
Posted By: imiller

Re: chicken of the woods - 09/19/17 01:27 AM

unless they are palm size or smaller i just cut the outter rim of the mushroom off to eat. the inner parts get tough and "woody".
Posted By: jeremy brua

Re: chicken of the woods - 09/19/17 01:31 AM

Originally Posted By: gryhkl
My oldest son is the only one in our family that likes them.
Giant puff balls and sulfer shelf are the only mushrooms I don't like.

I don't see why people get worked up over puff balls. Chickens are ok of cooked in sauce or pickled.
Posted By: ack

Re: chicken of the woods - 09/19/17 08:07 AM

i skip the chickens. plenty of others out there now. that same tree may yield a couple hens as well.
Posted By: Tweed

Re: chicken of the woods - 03/23/18 02:51 PM

Are these like pheasant backs?
Posted By: l1ranger

Re: chicken of the woods - 03/23/18 03:06 PM

i dont care for chickens too much
havent tried pheasant backs,but not the same

hens, I do like
Posted By: cndgmn

Re: chicken of the woods - 03/23/18 03:35 PM

If chickens aren't fresh they aren't worth eating.I think many get turned off to them by trying to eat an old,dry,buggy thing.A fresh chicken is hard to beat.I like to coat them in seasoned bread crumbs and fry in a little bit of bacon grease.I prefer morels,hedgehogs or purple gilled laccaria ,especially cooked with meat.
Posted By: walleyed

Re: chicken of the woods - 03/24/18 10:35 PM

Does Anyone Have A Photograph Of These Chicken Thingys To Post So I Know What They Look Like.

I'm Getting Hungry With All This Talk Of Cooking Wooden Chickens. laugh

w
Posted By: cotton

Re: chicken of the woods - 03/24/18 10:50 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laetiporus
© 2024 Trapperman Forums