Home

central pa. fur buyer?

Posted By: wetdog

central pa. fur buyer? - 10/17/17 11:43 PM

Kinda at a loss this year on where to sell my fur. My buyer passed this summer. Dutch not only bought my fur he also taught me how to grade fur. I worked for him at table sales and auctions. And meet most of the buyer's from pa. My ? Is who to sell to now and not the big auctions because I like to spend my fur money on new gear when I get it. Not wait till summer when check comes. Any names would be helpful. Thank you.
Posted By: PAtrappernut

Re: central pa. fur buyer? - 10/17/17 11:51 PM

Jerry Johnson at Johnson's Furs on Millers Gap Road, off of Wertzville Road, Enola.

Re: central pa. fur buyer? - 10/17/17 11:59 PM

Is he the guywith the little white dog?
Posted By: CoonsBane

Re: central pa. fur buyer? - 10/18/17 03:46 AM

Does you local PTA District do a sale?
Posted By: SwampFox

Re: central pa. fur buyer? - 10/18/17 06:13 AM

^^^^ X2 ^^^^ Who PAtrappernut said...Jerry Johnson. IMHO he is knowledgeable, fair and honest. Great man to talk with and get to know and a wealth of information.

Happy Trails and God Bless, Cary
Posted By: Metalbender

Re: central pa. fur buyer? - 10/18/17 07:50 AM

I'm in the same boat as you wetdog, as Dutch bought all my furs. I think I might take a ride this year and try Jerry Johnson as stated above or a Dist. 8 sale.
Posted By: pick65

Re: central pa. fur buyer? - 10/18/17 08:23 AM

https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/5989303/Re:_Cocolamus_Trapping_Supply#Post59893

read the above thread.

pick65

Re: central pa. fur buyer? - 10/18/17 10:43 AM

Thanks pisk65 I will be stopping by to pick up some supplies for the season. Dist. 8 has no fur sale. IMO dist 8 sucks. I know.that will probely upset a few people but the truth always upsets the followers.
Posted By: Coon Duke

Re: central pa. fur buyer? - 10/18/17 11:38 AM

Sunday January 14, 2018 is the District 7 Fur Auction in Washingtonville, PA. It is located at the Montour Delong Fairgrounds.

GPS Address
2628 Broadway Rd, Danville, PA 17821

Jerry Johnson is also an awesome guy to deal with if you are looking at selling to a single buyer.
Posted By: marathonman

Re: central pa. fur buyer? - 10/18/17 11:47 AM

wetdog..you are all wet about Dist 8...they are very active and run a lot of good events for the trapping world and I live in another Dist..we are blessed to have other enough fur sales in other Dist..I bet a kick out of people that complain about trapping assoc in general...all volunteer work! quit bitchin and get involved
Posted By: pcr2

Re: central pa. fur buyer? - 10/18/17 11:54 AM

i was gonna ask how many hours he had making dist 8 better.how about John Epler??

Re: central pa. fur buyer? - 10/18/17 12:20 PM

I guess being around Dutch rubbed off one. First off so much fur is trapped dist 8 that it just seems dumb to not have a fur sale. Second Epler and dutch never got along. Epler would not come to a sale if Dutch was there. He is a cherry picker and that's not how a buyer should be. I learned a lot from Dutch.and every fur has value and a trapper needs to be played a fair price. I want to get into the fur trade myself. And I made a promise to Dutch to never buy fur as long as he was. So I guess it is time.sorry if I step on some toes but that's who I am
Posted By: Hern

Re: central pa. fur buyer? - 10/18/17 12:22 PM

Wetdog states-
IMO Dist 8 sucks. I know. that will probably upset a few people but the truth always upsets the followers.
YOU ARE ALL WET. I see your user name fits...lol.
Wetdog, which District do you belong? Do you go to meetings or help with District events?

Am a Dist.8 member and your statement upsets me. I feel Dist. 8 helps lead the way in the PTA. Dist. 8 isn't followers.

Hern Blett
Life Member PTA
Posted By: Hern

Re: central pa. fur buyer? - 10/18/17 12:33 PM

...Epler would not come to a sale if Dutch was there. He is a cherry picker and that's not how a buyer should be.
I want to get into the fur trade myself.

I CAN NOT see you doing well in business with knocking a District Trappers Association and bad mouthing another fur buyer or how he runs his business, in your eyes. On this public forum.
Wetdog, You have the wrong attitude for business. Learn from everyone, not just one person. Be your own man, develop & continue knowledge.
Dutch was One of a Kind.
He's seen many big talkers, like yourself, come and go.

Re: central pa. fur buyer? - 10/18/17 12:49 PM

Hern I he'd to give up a lot when I got hurt in 99 and that ment no more clubs organizations and anything that cost money. As far as starting a business I have people willing to back me financially. And that's because Dutch taught me how to grade fur, a I may join the association in the future. But until the Dr. gives me the OK to drive a car again I'm stuck where I'm at.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: central pa. fur buyer? - 10/18/17 05:25 PM

WOW is about all i dare say as i enjoy T-MAN too much.
Posted By: mixed bag

Re: central pa. fur buyer? - 10/18/17 06:45 PM

Never dealt with Dutch,but averaged 50% of what my fur was worth thru Epler.Couldn't take those beatings anymore so off to the auction now.All my fur was put up finished and he would compliment my work
District sale would be a good idea for you or Epler.Just remember the local buyers have to make money on your fur to so you will take a big hit on averages.Thought you could mail finished fur to Groenwold and get a check back quick..That would be a good alternative
Posted By: wy.wolfer

Re: central pa. fur buyer? - 10/18/17 07:43 PM

Originally Posted By: wetdog
I guess being around Dutch rubbed off one. First off so much fur is trapped dist 8 that it just seems dumb to not have a fur sale. Second Epler and dutch never got along. Epler would not come to a sale if Dutch was there. He is a cherry picker and that's not how a buyer should be. I learned a lot from Dutch.and every fur has value and a trapper needs to be played a fair price. I want to get into the fur trade myself. And I made a promise to Dutch to never buy fur as long as he was. So I guess it is time.sorry if I step on some toes but that's who I am
Good luck with your fur buying! After your first year let the folks on Trapperman hear if you still believe that "every fur has value", paying something for every pelt, or carcass brought to your place of business should be enough of an education that you could be burdened by "student debt" quickly. Caution is the order of the day when buying fur.
Posted By: Alexia

Re: central pa. fur buyer? - 10/18/17 07:46 PM

I don't catch a lot of fur. Last year I had my best year. I had 26 muskrats. I sell all my fur to Jerry Johnson in Enola. I feel he treats me fair. I get my supplies from him too.
Posted By: RiversNorth13

Re: central pa. fur buyer? - 10/18/17 08:22 PM

Any of the buyers in the Fur Buyers Directory above fit your needs .
Posted By: eagerbeaver

Re: central pa. fur buyer? - 10/18/17 10:49 PM

Originally Posted By: wetdog
Hern I he'd to give up a lot when I got hurt in 99 and that ment no more clubs organizations and anything that cost money. As far as starting a business I have people willing to back me financially. And that's because Dutch taught me how to grade fur, a I may join the association in the future. But until the Dr. gives me the OK to drive a car again I'm stuck where I'm at.
You might as well get your fur buyers license and buy your own fur. No driving, No selling fur. smile
Posted By: miket

Re: central pa. fur buyer? - 10/20/17 06:02 AM

Jerry Johnson is a great guy to deal with!
Posted By: PAlltheway

Re: central pa. fur buyer? - 02/09/18 01:21 AM

Originally Posted By: miket
Jerry Johnson is a great guy to deal with!

Now the end of the season is nigh, it seems fitting to resurrect this thread with the purpose of recognizing Jerry Johnson, one heck of a good man. A good teacher, a fair buyer, makes investments in gear and stock, even if the market is down and he might not sell it all. And best of all about Jerry, despite his age and incredible work hours, he always has an earnest smile on his face. Enjoy him while he is here, because it is tough to imagine someone filling his shoes.
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: central pa. fur buyer? - 02/09/18 02:25 AM

X2
Posted By: J.C.

Re: central pa. fur buyer? - 05/12/19 10:53 PM

Although new, and certainly don’t want to critique the PTA, I appreciate this thread it lends a wealth of info.
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: central pa. fur buyer? - 05/13/19 12:03 AM

I have been a lifetime member of the PTA since 1982 . I have no information about any fur buyers in this thread .My district is 11 but I live close to district 8 also .District 8 has put on some great conventions over the last 35 years and they also do a nice job with the one day spring and fall meets that are about a one hour drive from my home district. It takes people for any successful volunteer group to work .And as Vince Lombardi said "The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary" I do not know any of them personally but I give credit to all those district 8 members that have been helping do the work required to be as successful as you have Thanks
© 2024 Trapperman Forums