Home

How should I set body grip triggers?

Posted By: Rat Trapper Sr.

How should I set body grip triggers? - 12/06/17 11:50 PM

I've had my body grip triggers formed into a "T" for a long time. I have noticed some critters get into the trap too far. I am going to try some my 160'ss & 220's with them in "V" and set on the bottom with the V opened up enough to allow critters to not hit the wire with their face, What works for you
Posted By: Aix sponsa

Re: How should I set body grip triggers? - 12/07/17 12:15 AM

Depends on what I'm after, but I use trigger wires shaped like ( ) on my 160s more than anything else. My primary use for 160s is for mink, and I only use ( ) for that. If I've run out of 220s and having to use 160s on a coon trail, I'll put one straight down and the other at a 45 degree angle like I \ or I'll keep the ( )

The only time I really use twisted T on bottom is whenever I'm setting 280s or 330s for beaver.

Re: How should I set body grip triggers? - 12/07/17 12:24 PM

Good stuff, thank you.
Posted By: AJE

Re: How should I set body grip triggers? - 12/07/17 11:18 PM

That sounds like a good plan, Sr.
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: How should I set body grip triggers? - 12/07/17 11:47 PM

IMO body grip trap triggers should almost always be on the bottom in any blind trail, ground cubby or box set, with the general exception being diving water sets. I don't think animals like ducking under something any more than I do, but will push through small twigs or grass. Also:

1.When the trigger is placed on the upper jaw hanging down, as shown in many manuals and pictures, the dog and trigger wires end up on the back of the animal where the best fur is and can possibly cause serious fur damage.

2.Also with the wires hanging down in an inverted V form the animal can often IMO slip under the wires and get to far into the trap resulting in a bad strike.

With regards to box sets I also like my trap positioned close to the end of the spring slots, but not against them. With the trap springs against the slot ends when fired it will jump out over the animal and not always get the best humane catch. The solution is to set your trap spring an inch to 1 1/2 inch before the end of the slot, which greatly reduces the propelling of the trap by the spring. Yet, when the trap is fired the springs will still hit the end of the slots without losing significant striking power or jumping over the animal, yet with enough force to help propel the trap and animal out of the box especially with an inclined b

Re: How should I set body grip triggers? - 12/07/17 11:54 PM

I think it can depend a lot on what you're trapping. For example, if you're trying to avoid an otter, some set their 330 triggers different than if they have an otter tag.

Re: How should I set body grip triggers? - 12/08/17 12:16 PM

Some great info here so far. Anyone else what to join in on this?
Posted By: tbn

Re: How should I set body grip triggers? - 12/08/17 12:26 PM

Not really,after trying all concoctions,I now just move them where ever I want.Right,left,middle.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: How should I set body grip triggers? - 12/08/17 05:13 PM

It's not just your trigger arrangement that's allowing the critter to get to far Into the trap. It's because your trap Isn't tuned.
Your getting way to much trigger travel before the trap fires and that's your main problem. Some where on here there Is a diagram showing how to tune a BG.

Re: How should I set body grip triggers? - 12/08/17 05:15 PM

[quote=Rat Trapper Sr.]I've had my body grip triggers formed into a "T" for a long time. I have noticed some critters get into the trap too far. I am going to try some my 160'ss & 220's with them in "V" and set on the bottom with the V opened up enough to allow critters to not hit the wire with their face, What works for you

What are you targeting?

Re: How should I set body grip triggers? - 12/08/17 06:25 PM

Originally Posted By: The Beav
It's not just your trigger arrangement that's allowing the critter to get to far Into the trap. It's because your trap Isn't tuned.
Your getting way to much trigger travel before the trap fires and that's your main problem. Some where on here there Is a diagram showing how to tune a BG.
If anyone can find that diagram, please post it here.
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: How should I set body grip triggers? - 12/08/17 06:50 PM

Originally Posted By: AJE
If anyone can find that diagram, please post it here.
Here you go: http://www.trapperman.com/trapperman/Basic_Sets_Bodygrip_Adj.html

Re: How should I set body grip triggers? - 12/09/17 01:13 PM

Beav, you are right my traps are not tuned. hat will get fixed this winter. Target critters are a mixed bag of coon, fisher, possum & skunks. Coon are caught well, but this year I had a fisher get hip caught again like last year. I don't like finding a live skunk in a trap. Last year I found a live skunk in a 160 and didn't have my pistol with me. So I had to use my coon smacker.

Re: How should I set body grip triggers? - 12/09/17 02:25 PM

Thanks bctomcat.

Everyone spends all kinds of time tuning their foot holds but I bet 90% of trappers never even think about tuning their BGs.
If you want good clean kills It's very important.

Re: How should I set body grip triggers? - 12/11/17 12:58 PM

Anyone else have any other ideas on how the triggers should be set?

Re: How should I set body grip triggers? - 12/14/17 01:32 PM

What no one has any other ideas!
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: How should I set body grip triggers? - 12/14/17 01:35 PM

For beaver you want the triggers togather all the way over on one side of the conibear
Posted By: ebsurveyor

Re: How should I set body grip triggers? - 12/14/17 02:03 PM

Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: How should I set body grip triggers? - 12/14/17 02:31 PM

My beaver trigger set up

Re: How should I set body grip triggers? - 12/14/17 02:32 PM

This set up is for Beaver with otter avoidance.....the otters can make it through

Re: How should I set body grip triggers? - 12/14/17 02:34 PM

And triggah is always on the bottom
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: How should I set body grip triggers? - 12/14/17 05:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Rat Trapper Sr.
I've had my body grip triggers formed into a "T" for a long time. I have noticed some critters get into the trap too far. I am going to try some my 160'ss & 220's with them in "V" and set on the bottom with the V opened up enough to allow critters to not hit the wire with their face, What works for you

I had some Belisles that were catching otter by the hip. I put a 330 on my bench set and attached a safety setter on it. With a wooden dowel I pushed on the trigger wires until the trap fired. Of course, it only fired as far as the safety setter would let it. I saw that the trigger wires had to be almost horizontal until the trap fired. I remedied that by filing the dog and testing each trap until they fired sooner.
Posted By: PAskinner

Re: How should I set body grip triggers? - 12/14/17 05:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Bruce T
For beaver you want the triggers togather all the way over on one side of the conibear

Why? This gives you very poor catches on smaller beaver. I just center it on the bottom in a V. The only time I move it to the side is with baited conis, where they are grabbing the bait, much different situation then a beaver speeding down a channel. For rats, still in a V, but trigger to the side. For mink out of the water, I'm still not sure which is best, but usually put them hanging down in a V- a trip wire helps.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: How should I set body grip triggers? - 12/14/17 05:59 PM

Originally Posted By: PAskinner

Why? This gives you very poor catches on smaller beaver. I just center it on the bottom in a V. The only time I move it to the side is with baited conis, where they are grabbing the bait, much different situation then a beaver speeding down a channel. For rats, still in a V, but trigger to the side. For mink out of the water, I'm still not sure which is best, but usually put them hanging down in a V- a trip wire helps.

Because you will not get good catches on the big beaver.You will get some refusals and snapped traps by the big beaver not getting far enough into the conibear or turning at the last second.The smaller beaver will be suit cased.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: How should I set body grip triggers? - 12/14/17 06:06 PM

I don't trap for beaver, but here in NY southern zone, due to otters we have to have them to the side. Have trigger regs.....no 4 ways either.
Posted By: PAskinner

Re: How should I set body grip triggers? - 12/14/17 07:23 PM

Because you will not get good catches on the big beaver.You will get some refusals and snapped traps by the big beaver not getting far enough into the conibear or turning at the last second.The smaller beaver will be suit cased.

When I tried it, I had hip caught smaller ones. Once I moved the triggers to the bottom, the sprung traps pretty much stopped.

Re: How should I set body grip triggers? - 12/15/17 12:55 PM

That's better after all these years am still trying to learn.
Posted By: Taximan

Re: How should I set body grip triggers? - 12/15/17 03:56 PM

Thanks bctomcat.

Everyone spends all kinds of time tuning their foot holds but I bet 90% of trappers never even think about tuning their BGs.
If you want good clean kills It's very important.

That describes me.I've been guilty of that and don't use them in big numbers but I'm tuning them now.It is at least as important as on foot traps.

Re: How should I set body grip triggers? - 12/16/17 01:52 PM

Good point something to work on this winter.

Re: How should I set body grip triggers? - 12/18/17 12:52 PM

I'm now thinking that my 160's might be better set up when in a "L" and on the bottom. Would like to hear from those of you who have tried it.

Re: How should I set body grip triggers? - 12/22/17 01:41 PM

Doesn't anyone have any thing to share/
Posted By: Boco

Re: How should I set body grip triggers? - 12/22/17 03:12 PM

Waxing your traps is the key to having them fire properly for good catches.
Trigger configurations are different for different applications and or set types.

Re: How should I set body grip triggers? - 12/23/17 01:13 PM

In my younger days I waxed some 110's and had a hard time keeping them set. Caught my fingers too many times and never wax a coni again.

Re: How should I set body grip triggers? - 12/23/17 01:25 PM

Yup...Nevah wax a coni...but when I do....I just dip the ends,where the spring slides....Nevah on the dog or the bar ,where the dog sets.
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: How should I set body grip triggers? - 12/23/17 01:45 PM

I spray paint my dry land traps, do it for few years in row and you don't have to treat them every year. Triggers centered on all traps except 330s at castor sets, set those upside down with triggers in a T.
Posted By: jk

Re: How should I set body grip triggers? - 12/24/17 12:58 AM

Adjust your conis first then wax. When ready to use rub the dog against the jaw in the location of your choice then set them. For mink you need a light trigger. WAX them......jk

Re: How should I set body grip triggers? - 12/25/17 12:55 PM

Originally Posted By: jk
Adjust your conis first then wax. When ready to use rub the dog against the jaw in the location of your choice then set them. For mink you need a light trigger. WAX them......jk

Good idea and I will try it. HOpe I don't catch my fingers like I did the last time I tried it.
Posted By: AppalachianTrapr

Re: How should I set body grip triggers? - 12/25/17 02:19 PM

I’ve never beaver trapped before but I got some coni’s now. One new and a few used to try and help a buddy with a beaver problem on his farm. I am going to tune like suggested here. This spray paint post has me thinking...this maybe a stupid question, I know. Can you spray paint a coni that is going in water? Not trying to hijack but I noticed that in this thread and didnt think I should start new for that. Thanks a lot!

Edit: okay I was trying to ask that to Rat Masterson but I dont know how to show his post + mine. Sorry.
Posted By: thebeaverguy

Re: How should I set body grip triggers? - 12/25/17 02:37 PM

Re: How should I set body grip triggers? - 12/25/17 02:52 PM

I just took some new 330's out of the box and into the water....you could see the oil floating in the water.....and still caught Beaver. Answer to your question...let the paint dry for an hour....then set them

Re: How should I set body grip triggers? - 12/28/17 01:22 PM

Lots of good info posted so far. Do you have an opinion?
Posted By: ambush32

Re: How should I set body grip triggers? - 12/28/17 01:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Nessmuck

My beaver trigger set up

I took Nessmuck's advice on how to set my beaver traps up, I necked a beaver yesterday right behind the ears, I'm assuming that's a fatal catch right?

Re: How should I set body grip triggers? - 01/03/18 01:00 PM

The picture is only half there. Can't see how you did the triggers.
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: How should I set body grip triggers? - 06/18/23 09:40 PM

Ttt
© 2024 Trapperman Forums