Home

Sewing Pelts

Posted By: 2020

Sewing Pelts - 12/16/17 01:09 AM

Going to get the wife to sew a few Muskrat /Beaver pelts together and she asked me what type of Thread to use?
I of course didn't know, I was hoping someone out here could enlighten Me .She said she will be using a Machine to do the Bulk of the Sewing--

Thx
Posted By: Bucndoe

Re: Sewing Pelts - 12/16/17 01:20 AM

I use dental floss or a dark thread from a leather awl I have
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Sewing Pelts - 12/16/17 03:02 AM

Heavy duty white thread, hitch each stitch, or it will look funny, medium size needle
Posted By: willvalley

Re: Sewing Pelts - 12/16/17 03:19 AM

I use Tech 100. Jean weight thread. Also try to color match like black with skunk, white with possum, brown with most others. I also use a regular fur sewing machine. A flat type sewing machine may be able to use the heavy thread due to the bobbin deal.
Ted
Posted By: 2020

Re: Sewing Pelts - 12/18/17 10:33 PM

Thanks for all the advise- will make me look good in the eyes of the seamstress
Posted By: AJE

Re: Sewing Pelts - 04/12/18 05:39 PM

Some use a straight leather needle and others seem to prefer some sort of S shaped needle. Does anyone see an advantage to a 's' shaped needle? I know Wal-Mart sells the straight (glovers) leather needles (I don't know that they have s shaped ones).
Posted By: Miley

Re: Sewing Pelts - 04/12/18 06:05 PM

Straight 000 Glover’s needle with simulated sinew. I use a whip stitch.Have hand sewn 4 blankets and so far so good!
Posted By: Boco

Re: Sewing Pelts - 04/12/18 07:40 PM

Upholstry thread.Use a whip stich so the seams butt flat.
Posted By: JD Miller

Re: Sewing Pelts - 04/12/18 08:33 PM

I use Fireline braided fishing line. Slick and very strong
Posted By: AJE

Re: Sewing Pelts - 04/14/18 10:04 AM

Based on a fisher I sent in for tanning a year ago, it seems like sewing holds up fine to the rigors of the tanning process. Maybe I lucked out, but I think I just used regular thread from WalMart.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Sewing Pelts - 04/14/18 10:51 AM

upholstery thread
Posted By: waggler

Re: Sewing Pelts - 04/14/18 03:37 PM

If you sew your damaged skins while raw and then send them off to get tanned you can have varying results when they come back.

Most skins receive some sort of thinning at least on the back and neck area. If the fur dresser is doing their job properly those stitches you put in will be sheared off. Stitches on the belly may or may not get cut depending on how aggressive the guy on the fleshing machine is.

It's still probably a good idea to stitch holes on the back even though they will get cut off during the dressing process, it may result in that hole not getting cut larger during the thinning process.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums