Home

How to keep rabbits out

Posted By: ejgartland

How to keep rabbits out - 12/20/17 02:40 AM

Hey guys got a problem with quite a few bunnys plugging my sets. On one of my property's i am catching 2-3 rabbits a day in my sets and I cant figure out how to get them to stop cause all im doing is feeding the fox im trying to catch. I dont use urine at my sets so i know its not that. I set along wood lines out in fields in woods and I just can't win. I use wax dirt and mix my lures and baits up and there's no patterns. Something always finds them before I do
Posted By: bic

Re: How to keep rabbits out - 12/20/17 02:46 AM

Try a little more pan tension.
Posted By: RiversNorth13

Re: How to keep rabbits out - 12/20/17 02:48 AM

Soon or latter you'll have them all caught.
laugh
Posted By: bic

Re: How to keep rabbits out - 12/20/17 02:50 AM

Always look at the glass as Half FULL. Fur prices suck but you are at least catching supper every day.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: How to keep rabbits out - 12/20/17 02:50 AM

The good news is if you catching that many rabbits your probably in a good spot for predators. I'd rather catch rabbits than possums. Just saying....
Posted By: micheal

Re: How to keep rabbits out - 12/20/17 10:15 AM

A good meal for you and them
Posted By: hubler13f

Re: How to keep rabbits out - 12/20/17 10:31 AM

I caught 2 last year and 1 the year before. I hate to catch them because we don't have a lot on our property and I have a soft spot for them. I would release them but it seems that the 1.5s always break their legs, so I ate them and used their fur as flagging and lure holder.
Posted By: PBS

Re: How to keep rabbits out - 12/20/17 10:36 AM

Use rabbit meat as bait. I'd say the fox are getting used to that by now.
Posted By: strike2x

Re: How to keep rabbits out - 12/20/17 10:44 AM

Set a second trap outside the reach of the first....
Posted By: BigBob

Re: How to keep rabbits out - 12/20/17 10:39 PM

Are you setting the game trails the Rabbits use?
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: How to keep rabbits out - 12/21/17 01:00 AM

3-4 lbs of pan tension helps a lot to prevent small things caught
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: How to keep rabbits out - 12/21/17 01:55 PM

Here you can't use a game animal for bait
Posted By: dublelung

Re: How to keep rabbits out - 12/21/17 05:05 PM

Originally Posted By: hubler13f
I caught 2 last year and 1 the year before. I hate to catch them because we don't have a lot on our property and I have a soft spot for them. I would release them but it seems that the 1.5s always break their legs, so I ate them and used their fur as flagging and lure holder.

That's the best use of a caught rabbit.
Increased pan tension should keep most of them out of your traps.
Posted By: PBS

Re: How to keep rabbits out - 12/21/17 07:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Tactical.20

Couldn’t find anything in Maryland’s regs saying you can’t.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: How to keep rabbits out - 12/21/17 11:59 PM

I would increase pan tension to 2-3 lbs. if fox are your target, set off the game trails, move sets out further from the thicker cover and set two sets one closer as you are now and one further out as the caught rabbit will attract the fox and you want a trap ready for them. Use lure and urine if you choose to as I think the rabbits are an issue because you have many and they work the cover. Not much for rabbits to eat in fields if they are looking for bark and browse.

Bryce
Posted By: ejgartland

Re: How to keep rabbits out - 12/22/17 03:01 AM

I set around where the trails come out to open field i can't go to far into the field do to they are planted and I am limited to where to set on most trails they are wheeler trails for the owners son and he tears them up lol. I'll try a little more pan tension. Just wasnt sure if there were any tricks just to shy them away from my sets. I swear whenever there is an abundance of rabbits they do their best to kill themselves. Thanks for all the replies. And maryland is a pretty easy going state for trapping the most part but our laws are not wrote very clear if you talk to the officers most dont know what's right or not.
Posted By: stoney

Re: How to keep rabbits out - 01/13/18 04:08 AM

I haven't caught a rabbit while fox trapping in probably five years. Then this year, after you said you've been catching them, so did I!
I'm over in Frederick County and set a few dirtholes on the edge of a brushy treeline along a hay field. Set a double and had a rabbit with no head and a red fox in the other. Bumping up the pan tension helps, but seems hard to avoid them. Caught 3 reds off that spot in a week, so you are likely on the right location!

Have you ran into any coyotes on your line yet?
Posted By: pass-thru

Re: How to keep rabbits out - 01/13/18 04:18 AM

I haven't caught one since the first year I trapped over 10 years ago. And there are plenty of rabbits where I trap. So if your traps are not right in the trail, then you are using something that attracts them. What is your anti-freeze? How much do you use?

By using dry peat, I have found that I can get away with using less antifreeze. I usually use salt, and not a lot of it. Deer and rabbits are not a problem as a result.
Posted By: teepee2

Re: How to keep rabbits out - 01/13/18 04:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Tactical.20
Who says?
Posted By: jabNE

Re: How to keep rabbits out - 01/13/18 10:44 AM

Pan tension increase is best option.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums