Home

States Rights and Weed

Posted By: Tweed

States Rights and Weed - 01/04/18 07:56 PM

Seems like Sessions is going to get aggressive in states that have legalized marijuana.

Do people only support states rights or federal authority when it suits them or their agenda?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/04/18 08:01 PM

Yes. For example, California is now a sanctuary state and is ignoring federal law
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/04/18 08:01 PM

State rights mean didly when federal firearm laws are declared null. I don't see why federal marijuana law should be any different.
Posted By: RiversNorth13

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/04/18 08:08 PM

Don't know

Posted By: ShaneT

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/04/18 08:14 PM

Yea I get sick of the picking and choosing when it comes to Federal and State laws. It seems to me if the Feds are going to crack down on States that have legalized weed they should be cracking down on everything else eapecially immigration. It is mind boggling how the rules are different for different issues.

I am fine with the States deciding. I still find it retarded that weed is illegal and hard liquor is not.
Posted By: Hupurest

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/04/18 08:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Tweed

Do people only support states rights or federal authority when it suits them or their agenda?

always have.... Each party only lets people be "free" to do what they believe is ok...
Posted By: Matt28

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/04/18 08:25 PM

Originally Posted By: ShaneT
Yea I get sick of the picking and choosing when it comes to Federal and State laws. It seems to me if the Feds are going to crack down on States that have legalized weed they should be cracking down on everything else eapecially immigration. It is mind boggling how the rules are different for different issues.

I am fine with the States deciding. I still find it retarded that weed is illegal and hard liquor is not.
×2
Posted By: Catch22

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/04/18 08:25 PM

I think it was Henry Ford who said a great business leader surrounds himself with great people,(not verbatim). Why Trump keeps that little weasel Sessions on board is beyond me. If your gonna hammer down on States that feel they can circumvent Federal law,and our Constitution, then they should do it to all of them, and show no bias. Sessions is a tool and a snake in the grass, imo.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/04/18 08:31 PM

Its a felony to enforce federal gun law in KS, but a guy from Chanute is fighting federal charges anyway. The agents who arrested him and the lawyers prosecuting him have not been charged. Still have to get federal permission to buy a firearm from a store. I doubt WY arrests and charges any feds or foregoes the background check either.
Posted By: white17

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/04/18 08:32 PM

Even though the SCOTUS has weighed in on this I still don't believe the feds have Constitutional authority in cases like this.

It's predicated on the commerce clause in the Constitution. When you look back at the horrible usurpations of power the federal government has perpetrated...many..if not most, stem from the commerce clause.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/04/18 08:42 PM

Should be left to the States that way you can move to a doper State or move out of one if you so choose.

As long as the fed doesn't step in when the commerce moves out of doper states.
Posted By: lebowski

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/04/18 08:43 PM

All for states rights!

Why hurt a Billion dollar industry? I thought this 'president' was Pro US Business?

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/04/18 08:45 PM

remember when he said this?

Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/04/18 08:48 PM

I for one am sure hoping that the guy in KS wins and the states right not to allow a federal tax on an item manufactured in KS that does not leave KS leaves the fed with no way to impose a tax on it.

if he looses , the fed could impose a sales tax on anything they wanted , next up could be milk .

the KS case is not a gun issue as it is a TAX issue if the fed does not have the right to tax a product that does not cross state lines , then GCA of 1934 can go away with local manufacture.

as taxing it was a shady way to begin with , and should have and would have never passes if this country wasn't neck deep in the great depression and the people been able to be informed before the vote was taken
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/04/18 08:53 PM

Originally Posted By: lebowski
remember when he said this?

I can't believe Trump would break a campaign promise. Shocking. So much for all of those sick people he knows who really benefit from medical marijuana......

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/04/18 08:54 PM

Originally Posted By: white17
Even though the SCOTUS has weighed in on this I still don't believe the feds have Constitutional authority in cases like this.

It's predicated on the commerce clause in the Constitution. When you look back at the horrible usurpations of power the federal government has perpetrated...many..if not most, stem from the commerce clause.

Could you explain your stance further white. I am all about freedom. However I always thought that States rights were their own if it didn't go opposite of federal law or the Constitution. If federal law stipulates weed is illegal, how can State rights trump that?

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/04/18 08:55 PM

SCOTUS ruled on that too. Wickard v. Filburn 1942

Even though Filburn..a farmer...was growing wheat on his own land and feeding it to livestock...and selling some to his neighbors....SCOTUS found that he was violating the law. Why ? because his wheat COULD have entered interstate commerce and affected the price....even though it didn't. This increased federal power over just about every decision in our lives !

Remember when Justice Roberts didn't want to rule on Odungocare relative to the commerce clause ? So he made it a tax issue instead ? That's because he did not want to tamper with previous SCOTUS rulings on the commerce clause.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/04/18 09:09 PM

Unfamiliar with that case, thanks a lot for giving me more to read lol! But, yep there's a but lol, How, according to case law and the Constitution, can State law successfully give the finger to the Fed's when it comes to weed??
Posted By: Rye

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/04/18 09:10 PM

White,

Even though, IMHO, that ruling was clearly an over reach of authority. The person entering said wheat into the interstate market needed to pay the tax, not Filburn. That was a political expansion of power that has been horking us ever since.
Posted By: FlyinFinn

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/04/18 09:22 PM

The GCA of 1934 came right after the end of prohibition in 1933. Many many federal agents would've been let go to find real jobs. Let's put them to work chasing guns. If our drug war ended it makes me wonder what the next invented crisis would be.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/04/18 09:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Rye
White,

Even though, IMHO, that ruling was clearly an over reach of authority. The person entering said wheat into the interstate market needed to pay the tax, not Filburn. That was a political expansion of power that has been horking us ever since.

Exactly !!

It seems to me that what needs to happen is a Constitutional amendment that either gives the feds authority or prohibits it. Where do we stop with that before we run into the 10th amendment ??

Does the federal government have a legitimate interest in regulating interstate commerce ? I think so. But if something does NOT enter interstate commerce, where does the federal government get the authority ?

But the current state of SCOTUS decisions on this subject give the feds far too much power ( as opposed to authority) to tell people what they can do with their own property or possessions.

Just my 2 cents

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/04/18 09:24 PM

Originally Posted By: danny clifton
Its a felony to enforce federal gun law in KS, but a guy from Chanute is fighting federal charges anyway. The agents who arrested him and the lawyers prosecuting him have not been charged. Still have to get federal permission to buy a firearm from a store. I doubt WY arrests and charges any feds or foregoes the background check either.

Are the Kansas taxpayers at least paying to have a state attorney represent this guy in federal court? If not, then the fluff law of the state isn't worth the paper it's written on.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/04/18 09:29 PM

yes. the state is backing him. haven't heard anything about it lately however

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/04/18 09:42 PM

http://www.chanute.com/news/article_a911ff40-b832-11e6-a467-930facb48dbd.html

Quote:
When trial proceedings in the criminal case began, Kansas Attorney General Derek Schmidt filed a motion to intervene in the case if the situation arose that the constitutionality of the Second Amendment Protection Act was called into question.

According to the Motion to Intervene filed in the case by the attorney general's office, the state attorney general must defend the law's constitutionality and validity.

According to a press release from Schmidt's office, the Attorney General's office cannot provide defense for individual criminal defendants even in cases of such conflicts between federal and state law.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/04/18 10:47 PM

Take weed off the schedule 1 list and all is well for the states .
Posted By: snowy

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/04/18 11:37 PM

I don't want my federal tax money going to help for example like CA to fix their problems with legalizing the weed. The federal gov. better step in and these states should be on their own and not get federal money for a problem that is their problem.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/04/18 11:44 PM

Feds aren't going to crack down on anything. States and local governments are continually looking for ways to bleed its citizens . They have found a way through legalization to create a " tax boom " ( greater than any gold rush ) . Apparently in successful ( legalization) states most of its citizens don't oppose . It's not about giving lidividual freedom back to its people , it's about growing and feeding the government monster. These enormous higher than expected unopposed funds help a multitude of social programs typically covered by federal dollars . With the Feds ( Trump) looking to cut spending I doubt they will mess with such a massive revenue stream. Just my opinion of course.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/04/18 11:52 PM

Even if luvguv's opinion is correct in that legalization has nothing to do with individual rights but only taxation, it is still a net positive for those that do not smoke weed in that the cost of enforcement, prosecution and treatment for weed will reduce. Besides, any weed smoker worth his salt should grow his own anyway and circumvent the taxes. It's the American way.
Posted By: walleyed

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 12:22 AM

About Time They Cracked Down On The Potheads, Dopers, and Rope Smokers !! laugh

The Lefties Won't Be Happy Until The Country's Entire Populous Is Dumbed Down And Stoned Out On The Couch !! frown

w

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 12:35 AM

Reality will soon hit when businesses leave the state because they can't find "insurable" workers. The unemployment burden alone will cause that fire hose of taxes to slow to a trickle. lol

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 12:35 AM

Originally Posted By: walleyed

The Lefties Won't Be Happy Until The Country's Entire Populous Is Dumbed Down And Stoned Out On The Couch !! frown

w

I'm mentally disabled and weed helps my mind relax so I got a "food stamp" for medical weed

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 12:42 AM

Over half the states have medical now and it will keep rising along with recreational.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 12:49 AM

Originally Posted By: HobbieTrapper
Reality will soon hit when businesses leave the state because they can't find "insurable" workers. The unemployment burden alone will cause that fire hose of taxes to slow to a trickle. lol

Either that or, yknow, find a different insurance company. Much easier to pack up the whole operation and move to the land of the uptight do-gooders where nobody smokes pot because it's illegal tho.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 12:59 AM

I want the name of an insurance company that is going to insure people they can't prove wasn't impaired at the time of an accident.

I want to make sure they don't end up in my portfolio. lol

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 01:01 AM

"Do-gooder" has nothing to do with it btw.

The door will be open for a mint to be made and lawyers will be all over it.

Down the road there will only be about 5 states were it will be illegal anyway .

Call around, I'm sure there are plenty. Plenty of businesses don't give employees pee pee test yet presumably still have insurance.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 01:07 AM

Besides; business and insurance should have no bearing on what is a personal choice. Choices. Smoke weed, job or not-employ or not. Insurance is a tertiary thing so far removed from the issue it's hardly worth mentioning.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 01:10 AM

May be however most likely there is something in the policy where such would relieve the company from responsibility and the employee would end up being the lone defendant. I bet they are standing in line to end up there.

Courts are to about to get real busy as well as lawyers. Picture the dogs in the gate at the dog track hearing that "rabbit" coming.

Don't kid yourself. There are going to be winners and losers and the one with the munchies is going to be the latter more times than not.

Happy Smoking.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 01:15 AM

These no accurate test for "inpaired" weed users anyway .

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 01:18 AM

Weed smokers are already losers at all levels at it is now. At least with legalization they won't be harassed and harangued before they actually do anything 'wrong'.Non agression principal. Look it up.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 01:23 AM

I don't see this as an issue of...is pot good or bad. Should people use it or not. It's a bigger issue IMO. The correct thing to debate is...does the 10th amendment mean what it says ? Doesn't matter what it is about.

In keeping with that , I don't see a contradiction between this and what candidate Trump said in the video above. Maybe, hopefully, this is his way to force Congress to deal with reconciling this issue and the overreach under the commerce clause, and the egregious rulings from SCOTUS over the last 60-70 years.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 01:30 AM

Originally Posted By: FlyinFinn
Weed smokers are already losers at all levels at it is now. At least with legalization they won't be harassed and harangued before they actually do anything 'wrong'.Non agression principal. Look it up.

The smokers will not be the only losers. The unintended losers will be numerous and the state will end up with the tab.

When that happens who will they turn to, others states in the same boat or the fed? Guess what the fed is going to say. lol
Posted By: mnsota

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 01:43 AM

So much confusion, I remember those coon trails through the ditch weed,..nowadays,.coon,weed,coon.weed,..so many
choices,and to think I could be ahead of the game! wink

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 01:44 AM

Originally Posted By: snowy
I don't want my federal tax money going to help for example like CA to fix their problems with legalizing the weed. The federal gov. better step in and these states should be on their own and not get federal money for a problem that is their problem.
X2. I believe the State should have the right to decide but the Fed shouldn't be obligated to fund any part(policing,health cost,etc) of what is deemed illegal under Federal law. That being said the Fed should not receive any revenue(taxes) from product sells. Those revenues should only be received by the State.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 01:49 AM

That begs the question.....is the federal government going to accept taxes paid BY LEGAL pot dealers in states like CO or will they refuse to take it because pot is an illegal product federally ? I think we all know the answer to that

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 01:52 AM

That begs the question.....is the federal government going to accept taxes paid BY LEGAL pot dealers in states like CO or will they refuse to take it because pot is an illegal product federally ? I think we all know the answer to that

Exactly ! A huge payroll tax revenue stream from those who would normally stay home ..........eating chips and playing video games
Posted By: snowy

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 02:04 AM

Now smoking/smoke is good for you and these states that fight the smokers now it is ok to smoke. I don't get it with the health issues from smoke now just pass a law and smoke till you choke. LOL Who the blank is going to pay for all that mess??

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 02:05 AM

If the State legalized it then the State should. Montana shouldn't have to pay for California's pot habit.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 02:08 AM

Now smoking/smoke is good for you and these states that fight the smokers now it is ok to smoke. I don't get it with the health issues from smoke now just pass a law and smoke till you choke. LOL Who the blank is going to pay for all that mess??

The money grabbers will peel off a few greenbacks to show their concern for the ill consequences

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 02:10 AM

Many people aren't "smoking" Marijuana like they used to .
Their vaping it or in food products .
They don't even own Bic lighters anymore ! laugh

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 02:14 AM

The results of legalization will play out years down the road.
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 02:16 AM

Colorado taxes are paid in cash, how can the Feds collect taxes but don't believe the business is legit. The biggest problem I see is, " Hey man, where'd we park the armored car".

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 02:16 AM

Originally Posted By: walleyed

w
Lots of people say the same thing about the hunters and trappers. Be careful celebrating the Feds cracking down on one group because you don't like the way they demonstrate their individual liberty-in their home state. Don't give them more power than they have already grabbed under the guise of the Constitution.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 02:17 AM

It will play out somewhat like alcohol sales .

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 02:32 AM

If the Federal government does accept those taxes does that open the door for Federal legalization? Would the Federal government be seen legally as legitimizing pot sells by accepting these taxes?

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 02:37 AM

One would think that in order to be consistent, the feds would either have to legalize the product, stay out of the way, or not accept the taxes.

I don't ever expect consistency from that bunch !

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 02:37 AM

Originally Posted By: bowhunter27295

Although the two states with legalized pot are Colorado and Washington. Not exactly conservative bastions.

I though there was 8 states with recreational and medical.
And 29 medical states .

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 02:39 AM

Soon smoking pot will be a disease, and one can get on SS disability.
Posted By: Marty

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 02:39 AM

The stuff has been legal in parts of Europe forever......those places suck..

No thanks, terrible example for children.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 02:41 AM

But I believe this applies to ALL uses

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 02:46 AM

That's the way I understand it. Doesn't mean I'm right though. I heard a doctor/lawyer talking about it on the radio today in Philly

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 02:46 AM

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 03:16 AM

Soon smoking pot will be a disease, and one can get on SS disability.

Yep, of course,that's down the road.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 03:25 AM

Your idea of what a conservative is is skewed bowhunter. Conservative's don't like the government telling us how to live, remember? Save your authoritarianism for those those in your own sphere of influence. Also remember that just because government 'allows' or has no opinion on an action that it is NOT a societal endorsement of the activities.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 03:34 AM

was reading if you have a medical pot card in pa you can't purchase a firearm cause of the drug question on the ffl form.
Posted By: Woodsloafer72

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 03:36 AM

There shouldn't be any federal money to give away. Each state should take care of itself. The only thing the fed's should be doing is international agreements and treaties. The state's were originally sovereign except for international trade and defense. The intent of the commerce clause was to keep states from levying import fees on products from other states.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 03:45 AM

Originally Posted By: bowhunter27295
Your idea of what a conservative is is skewed bowhunter. Conservative's don't like the government telling us how to live, remember? Save your authoritarianism for those those in your own sphere of influence. Also remember that just because government 'allows' or has no opinion on an action that it is NOT a societal endorsement of the activities.

If you are insinuating that the present day society would "self regulate", I got to disagree. Too many leeches and dead beats out there that vote.

Options for the leeches and dead beats would be get on board or die off, become efficient criminals and kill off those who have the things they desire.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 03:50 AM

If you actually believe we can regulate or make enough laws (or even back up the number of useless laws we have now) to cure the deadbeats and leech issue in society you are part of the problem, not the solution.
Posted By: coloradocat

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 03:52 AM

But it was ok that the CIA was moving weed and cocaine into the US. Hypocrites.
Posted By: board stretcher

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 03:54 AM

i did not read all the thread but when weed was legal in some states alot of people were after the CBD not the THC!

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 04:01 AM

What's CDB?
Posted By: K52

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 04:03 AM

Originally Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE
I for one am sure hoping that the guy in KS wins and the states right not to allow a federal tax on an item manufactured in KS that does not leave KS leaves the fed with no way to impose a tax on it.

if he looses , the fed could impose a sales tax on anything they wanted , next up could be milk .

the KS case is not a gun issue as it is a TAX issue if the fed does not have the right to tax a product that does not cross state lines , then GCA of 1934 can go away with local manufacture.

as taxing it was a shady way to begin with , and should have and would have never passes if this country wasn't neck deep in the great depression and the people been able to be informed before the vote was taken

The GCA of 1934 was passed because Hollywood had trailers in a couple of very popular movies about the gangsters and bank robbers of the day out gunning the police and the need for new gun laws. People went to the movies and watched the news reels and trailers and that was the equvilant of todays TV newscasts. All the bank robbers and bootleggers wars were fresh in peoples minds and I think they might have been more informed than you think. That said I would love to see the GCA abolished tomorrow.
Posted By: humptulips

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 04:25 AM

When I was younger drinkers would go out of State to buy cheap booze because WA had such high alcohol taxes. Taxes on spirits haven't went down but now WA takes in more tax revenue from Marijuana sales then from hard liquor.
Do you think the politicians want to give that up? I bet all the State Houses are salivating over that money.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 04:38 AM

Absolutely they expect the pot operations to pay taxes. I watched an interesting program on NatGeo once about the pot business and their relationship with banks and the IRS.

The banks wont take their business because it's federally illegal so the businesses have to deal in cash and money orders and although the banks won't deal with them the IRS expects their cut?

Don't forget that Al Capone was finally put away on tax evasion charges. Taxes that he didn't pay on an illegal enterprise.
Posted By: PSB1011

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 05:03 AM

Didn't the Feds get Al Capone on tax evasion on income from illegal activities?

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 11:26 AM

I own a couple firearms. I don't smoke pot. I want KS gun law to be recognized.

Biggest problem I have with pot is all the animal rights people indulge. I'd become a letter writing advocate if they also supported my right to liberty.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 12:02 PM

Weed is illegal in NE but there used to be...maybe still is...a fine for not having a tax stamp. Not sure how that worked.
It is humorous how proponents of alcohol talk about how many problems weed will cause down the road......okay.....

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 01:38 PM

Biggest problem I have with pot is all the animal rights people indulge. I'd become a letter writing advocate if they also supported my right to liberty.

Like an act of kindness, it probably isn't necessary or proper to expect reciprocation. It surely won't advance the total cause of freedom to not support a freedom issue that you don't partake in by waiting for someone who is more clueless about freedom issues to make the first move and embrace your views. No sense both groups sitting at a pity party because of stubbornness.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 02:01 PM

CBD is usually produced from hemp. Depends if you believe in the argument that hemp and weed are separate plants. THC is what gets you high. CBD is used for medical applications only.

I live in a huge hemp producing area, and a PhD has his "mother plants" across the road in greenhouses. According to him, CBD is hot enough to not pass a whiz quiz for your CDL license. CBD still contains traces of THC.
Posted By: muddyriverdogz

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 05:08 PM

I don't see this as an issue of...is pot good or bad. Should people use it or not. It's a bigger issue IMO. The correct thing to debate is...does the 10th amendment mean what it says ? Doesn't matter what it is about.

In keeping with that , I don't see a contradiction between this and what candidate Trump said in the video above. Maybe, hopefully, this is his way to force Congress to deal with reconciling this issue and the overreach under the commerce clause, and the egregious rulings from SCOTUS over the last 60-70 years.

Exactly. What's the point of the 10th Amendment ? Might as well not wasted the ink. Much like most of the rest of the Constitution these days.

Undermining the Constitution is nothing new, it's been going on for a long time and we can now see the results.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 05:18 PM

Maybe you should be the bigger person and take the first step. wink

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 05:24 PM

I will point out 60% of the American population believe weed should be legal. Congress and Session's know this and what they are doing is clearly against the will of the people. That's where the government is at these day's,they don't serve the people on anything. They serve special interest.
Posted By: logger coffey

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 05:49 PM

Cant figure out why the country needs to be on pot, we allready got every body on welfare and nobodys working, do we really need every body high now.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 06:06 PM

Originally Posted By: logger coffey
Cant figure out why the country needs to be on pot, we allready got every body on welfare and nobodys working, do we really need every body high now.

Isn't unemployment at historic lows right now?

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 06:46 PM

Originally Posted By: muddyriverdogz
I will point out 60% of the American population believe weed should be legal. Congress and Session's know this and what they are doing is clearly against the will of the people. That's where the government is at these day's,they don't serve the people on anything. They serve special interest.

Thank God.

76% of "The People" think animal rights are as important as people's rights.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 06:53 PM

Exactly. What's the point of the 10th Amendment ? Might as well not wasted the ink. Much like most of the rest of the Constitution these days.

Undermining the Constitution is nothing new, it's been going on for a long time and we can now see the results.

I've been doing some reading on the tenth, not finished yet, really just getting started. The case white brought up is interesting,(Wickard v Filburn) more interesting to me is the Gonzales v Raich case which was the Filburn case all over again in 2005. I couldn't believe when I read it that Scalia was of the majority opinion. Him, being a textual Constitutionalist. I liked Thomas' dissent and here's a snipet of it.
Posted By: logger coffey

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 06:56 PM

Originally Posted By: logger coffey

Isn't unemployment at historic lows right now?
on paper it is, in our town we have one big business left the other 10 have gone. no body is on unemployment here because its all drawed out for them . so i guess thats why the state and gov. is wanting to keep every body stoned.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 06:59 PM

Thank God.

Not a true number.More like about 1/3 so the America people still get it right ! As they usually do, especially when they have all the fact's.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 07:07 PM

Thank God.

And therein lies the problem in this country...

My neighbor sitting in his garage getting baked and listening to Steppenwolfe has zero effect on me.

My trapping of beaver has zero effect on him.

Yet we both pursue to criminalize the other's activity while ardently defending our own.

This country must've been a beautiful place before everyone decided they knew what was best for everyone else.

Mike

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 07:11 PM

76 % of the people do not think that !

It's propaganda(false fact's^^^^^) that promotes turning everybody against each other. Divide and conquer.

But yes i agree Mike.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 07:13 PM

Good post mike in a town

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 07:15 PM

Thank God.

You got a source for that 76%?

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 07:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike in A-town

My neighbor sitting in his garage getting baked and listening to Steppenwolfe has zero effect on me.As long as he stays in his garage and not on the road.

My trapping of beaver has zero effect on him. Unless that beaver dam is improving the water quality in that creek he fishes in the summer time.

Yet we both pursue to criminalize the other's activity while ardently defending our own.

This country must've been a beautiful place before everyone decided they knew what was best for everyone else.

Mike

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 07:18 PM

Good post mike in a town

X2!

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 07:19 PM

There is always an exception, guy driving drunk, girl driving high, bonehead not watching where his gun is pointed. Fortunately most people are responsible.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 07:20 PM

For the record... As far as I know, my neighbor doesn't smoke pot. Lol

But his wife did have a bout with cancer... So... Nah, she has a stick up her butt. I doubt she did.

Mike

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 07:21 PM

Thank God.

You got a source for that 76%?

"BornFreeUSA" lol

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 07:24 PM

But his wife did have a bout with cancer... So... Nah, she has a stick up her butt. I doubt she did.

Mike

Those are usually the biggest stoners man

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 07:24 PM

My neighbor sitting in his garage getting baked and listening to Steppenwolfe has zero effect on me.

Mike

Very well said.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 07:26 PM

My neighbor sitting in his garage getting baked and listening to Steppenwolfe has zero effect on me.As long as he stays in his garage and not on the road.

My trapping of beaver has zero effect on him. Unless that beaver dam is improving the water quality in that creek he fishes in the summer time.

Mike

Do you mean to tell me that legal activities can have disastrous consequences when someone is irresponsible?

Mike

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 07:30 PM

Mike

Those are usually the biggest stoners man

LOL

She's like 70. So I still have my doubts.

Mike

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 07:32 PM

Never happens when things are made legal.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 07:33 PM

weed is a big business, ie a Billion dollar business!
Posted By: strike2x

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 07:35 PM

I know a lot of people who smoke pot and that is up to them but as far as I am concerned it should never be legal in any form. In my oppinion it makes people stupid and lazy..... Again, that is my oppinion.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 07:36 PM

Never happens when things are made legal.

What never happens?

Mike

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 07:38 PM

Weed provides tax revenue, jobs, and pain relief to many. I fully support it's legalization coast to coast.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 07:39 PM

I think he put bong water in his rice krispies this morning, he is even further out in left field than usual.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 07:42 PM

Lebowski I meant losers at all levels of societal concern, i.e. government, employment, insurance. There are probably many upstanding people who smoke weed.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 07:49 PM

Originally Posted By: lebowski
weed is a big business, ie a Billion dollar business!

I bet the alcohol business is more and so is the business of keeping weed illegal.The cost to tax payer's alone is 20 billion a year.That would cover some of Trumps tax cut.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 07:49 PM

I think he put bong water in his rice krispies this morning, he is even further out in left field than usual.

That stuff is nasty.

I'm full circle on your concept, all or nothing. If we are going to make things legal and leave it to everybody being responsible then all things should be legal. Responsible people will act responsibly in every situation after all.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 07:53 PM

It would sure save me a lot of aggravation and money on licenses and insurance just to drive a truck up and down the road not to mention hunting, trapping and fishing.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 07:57 PM

Dang now I've flipped 180 degrees too. I think unless every activity I don't partake in is run through my morality filter i want it to be illegal because someone might do something harmful.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 08:02 PM

Just seeing people like Jeff Session's in the unemployment line would make it worth it to me. smile

They will have to go get one of all those jobs out in the private sector they claim exist.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 08:10 PM

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 08:14 PM

It would sure save me a lot of aggravation and money on licenses and insurance just to drive a truck up and down the road not to mention hunting, trapping and fishing.

Here we go... The straw man argument. If we make something legal we should make everything legal to the Nth degree... Making something legal is the end of common sense regulation.

How's this?

Marriage is legal. And because marriage is legal you'll have people lining up to get married to their daughters. So we better go ahead and just make all marriage illegal.

Good Lord.

Mike

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 08:27 PM

Here we go... The straw man argument. If we make something legal we should make everything legal to the Nth degree... Making something legal is the end of common sense regulation.

How's this?

Marriage is legal. And because marriage is legal you'll have people lining up to get married to their daughters. So we better go ahead and just make all marriage illegal.

Good Lord.

Mike

Whose moral compass are we using to decide? Most of the people? Some of the people?

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 08:33 PM

Moral compuss ?????

It's alway's about the money and when they tell you it's not about the money,it's about the money !!!
Posted By: Birch Tree

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 08:45 PM

Back on the tax issue with the Feds and weed, just my thoughts here but I think it is pretty accurate but then again who am I? lol.

The product a person sells whether it is legal or illegal is indifferent to the federal wage tax, if a person brings in actual income then that income is subject to federal wage tax and the Feds should get their share of taxes based on the wage tax system and that is how they got Capone on tax evasion since he did not pay any federal wage taxes on the millions he brought in on the illegal sales of liquor and not the sales tax evasion.

The same would apply to pot businesses, the sales may be illegal by federal law but the person earning their income by working in the legal pot trade in their home state still has to pay their federal wage tax. The Feds have no claim on any sales tax of an illegal substance or they would have gone after the cartels for sales tax evasion, technically speaking they could prosecute wage tax evasion for every drug dealer out there but that would cost billions more than throwing them in jail not to mention trying to prove how much taxes they would owe.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 08:49 PM

There is more money in it for the Federal government and corporation's to keep it illegal. Plain and simple.If it was the other way around you would see billboard's everywhere that would say thing's like "What weed can do for you".

There is no other reason to go against the will of the people.
Posted By: Hal

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 08:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Birch Tree
Back on the tax issue with the Feds and weed, just my thoughts here but I think it is pretty accurate but then again who am I?

Standing on the strength of our convictions are we? smile smile smile

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 08:56 PM

There is more money in it for the Federal government and corporation's to keep it illegal. Plain and simple.If it was the other way around you would see billboard's everywhere that would say thing's like "What weed can do for you".

You seem to know a lot about money? Are you wealthy?

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Hal

You seem to know a lot about money? Are you wealthy?

That's my business.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 08:58 PM

Your business is wealth?

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 08:58 PM

Your business is wealth?

As in not your's.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 09:00 PM

You have failed to make sense -- or continued, either way.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 09:08 PM

Your business is wealth?

Isn't all of our business wealth? I mean....what else would be the purpose of a business?

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 09:13 PM

In 15 years, how many states do you think ,still won't have at least medical Marijuana ?

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 09:15 PM

Your business is wealth?

Isn't all of our business wealth? I mean....what else would be the purpose of a business?

Economics verses..

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 09:17 PM

The IRS collects tax on pot sales in Colorado and I'm sure everywhere else.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 09:17 PM

...inharmonious sociality
Posted By: wetdog

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 09:19 PM

Everyone is one some kind of drug

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 09:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Rat Masterson
The IRS collects tax on pot sales in Colorado and I'm sure everywhere else.

They collect way more on legal sales than they do on illegal sales. Those illegal sales folks are bad about not filing their 1040's

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 09:20 PM

Whose moral compass are we using to decide? Most of the people? Some of the people?

Perhaps the same moral compass that lets individuals who are of consenting age decide for themselves what alcohol, if any, they decide to ingest. Or Cheetos, or soft drinks, or any other of a host of unhealthy choices.

Is government mandate the only thing that keeps you from making a ruin of yourself?

Mike

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 09:21 PM

Originally Posted By: wetdog
Everyone is one some kind of drug

Hare Krishna!

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 09:25 PM

Is government mandate the only thing that keeps you from making a ruin of yourself?

Mike

Lift your eyes to Jesus.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 09:26 PM

Mike

Lift your eyes to Jesus.

Nah, he's one of them long-haired hippie types.

Mike

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 09:29 PM

[/quote]

Mike[/quote]

Yup. What he said.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 09:30 PM

Lift your eyes to Jesus.

Nah, he's one of them long-haired hippie types.

Mike

Jesus was a Capricorn
He ate organic food.
He believed in love and peace
And never wore no shoes
Long hair beard and sandals
And a bunch of funky friends
I reckon they'd just hang him up
If he came down again

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 09:31 PM

LMAO

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 09:32 PM

Jesus was a Capricorn
He ate organic food.
And never wore no shoes
I he came down again

Jeff Session's sure would. laugh

It would be Pontius Pilate all over again.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 09:33 PM

Mike

Is it so difficult to believe that the answer to that question is yes for some people?

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 09:36 PM

Mike

Is it so difficult to believe that the answer to that question is yes for some people?

Isn't that virtually the definition of government??

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 09:36 PM

How would folks interact if they did not consent to be governed?

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 09:37 PM

(Anarchist may be excused from this discussion.)

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 09:37 PM

Like Adult's.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 09:39 PM

Mike

Is it so hard to believe that life is about choices? There are winners and losers in all aspects of life. Should I be forced to fund a "war" on their bad choices?

A war which has overstepped its original intent and continuously violates the rights of those who have no part in it.

Mike

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 09:40 PM

Oh no, no, no. Without government, they would behave much more like children.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 09:40 PM

Not certain, but I'm betting stupid would be fixed.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 09:43 PM

Not certain, but I'm betting stupid would be fixed.

I bet the same.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 09:43 PM

That makes no sense whatsoever. There was a highly functional society of anarchists who lived relatively peacefully after the fall of the Russian tsar in 1918 to about 1922. Their downfall was allying with the bolshiviks to fight the whites. Once the whites were fought the commies ate them for lunch. No sense dismissing the historical facts about functionality of anarchy. It wouldn't work for us, but perhaps some ideas could be utilized.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 09:44 PM

Is it so hard to believe that life is about choices? There are winners and losers in all aspects of life. Should I be forced to fund a "war" on their bad choices?

A war which has overstepped its original intent and continuously violates the rights of those who have no part in it.

Mike

It's about time to figure this "War on Drugs" has been a HORRIBLE failure. More people are dying from illicit drugs than ever before. The junkies are dropping like flies in Appalachia.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 09:44 PM

Oh no, no, no. Without government, they would behave much more like children.

You mean if government quit saving us from our own poor choices we would all lie down and die immediately?

Mike

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 09:45 PM

That makes no sense whatsoever. There was a highly functional society of anarchists who lived relatively peacefully after the fall of the Russian tsar in 1918 to about 1922. Their downfall was allying with the bolshiviks to fight the whites. Once the whites were fought the commies ate them for lunch. No sense dismissing the historical facts about functionality of anarchy. It wouldn't work for us, but perhaps some ideas could be utilized.

And that's why a buncha gol-darn dumb anarchists can be excused from this discussion.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 09:46 PM

[/quote]
Jesus was a Capricorn
He ate organic food.
And never wore no shoes
If he came down again [/quote]
I believe the same could be said for about 1/12 th of the population back then. If he came back today I believe he would be wearing Bluejeans, nikes, a carhart jacket and maybe even a red tie.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 09:47 PM

No, we would behave like animals.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 09:48 PM

like good Republicans.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 09:48 PM

I think you are confusing what we have today with what the Constitution intended.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 09:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Diggerman
like good Republicans.

I see no pride.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 09:51 PM

with how it's gotten,there is no going back to how it was no matter how hard we try.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 09:53 PM

Originally Posted By: pcr2
with how it's gotten,there is no going back to how it was no matter how hard we try.

Thank God for that. We should aspire to improve, not regress. As individuals and as a society.
Posted By: Mike Flick

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 09:54 PM

Weed is now a cash crop for several states, and one of those states is really a problem for our administration. What I herd on the radio sounded like the administration was flexing. The feds have every right to raid those dispenseries any day, and if all the states play nice, they may get to keep their cash cow for a while. If they keep attacking the administration I'm sure they will find the resources to raid them all the same day.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 09:59 PM

can you claim income from federally illegal activities? youre screwed if you do, screwed if you don't.

transactions are in cash, banking is even screwy.

lots of ways for the feds to cause crap.... seizing accounts, "structuring" deposit accusations and seizures, etc...

its also discrimination to only legalize weed, reducing jailtime and crimes for certain income range and ethnicities.

to be fair, they should legalize Cocaine, so that upper middle class and up, white people can enjoy recreation without worry about jail.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 10:01 PM

I think the country could be run just fine on one book of laws. I don't think you could put all the laws we have now into a basketball arena if it was normal sized print. Murder theft and rape need to stay illegal. The rest IMO are all up for debate. Whole tax code could be done with one paragraph.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 10:02 PM

I don't recall advocating for dissolution of government. That wouldn't help at all. But the current stance on this issue is an abyssmal and expensive failure.

Prohibition didn't stop Cletis from making, drinking, and selling mash. Once alcohol was legalised again the government was able to regulate the activity... And prescribe punishments for those who use it irresponsibly.

Mike

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 10:02 PM

More people are dying from illicit drugs than ever before. The junkies are dropping like flies in Appalachia.

I cant tell if youre saying that's a bad thing or a positive?

I think its positive... self correcting problem the way I see it...

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 10:05 PM

Colorado pot growers are already paying payroll, property, state and federal taxes. All in cash.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 10:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Hupurest
More people are dying from illicit drugs than ever before. The junkies are dropping like flies in Appalachia.

I cant tell if youre saying that's a bad thing or a positive?

I think its positive... self correcting problem the way I see it...

That was in reference to the war on drugs. If you feel that more people dying from drugs is a sign we are winning that war you are probably in the minority.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 10:11 PM

The war on drugs is being fought much like the war on terror and hat is why it is a failure.

War is something you should be ALL in or ALL out.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 10:16 PM

The war on drugs is being fought much like the war on terror and hat is why it is a failure.

So you wanna sortie the B-52's out of Barksdale when the neighbor kid gets caught with a joint?

That'll make people reexamine their poor choices. And in a cost-effective manner too.

Mike

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 10:18 PM

So you wanna sortie the B-52's out of Barksdale when the neighbor kid gets caught with a joint?

That'll make people reexamine their poor choices. And in a cost-effective manner too.

Mike

No, shoot the guy that sold it to him in the head instead of 200 hours of community service.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 10:20 PM

I think he hopes we emulat that pillowpino president who just kills druggies and their families.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 10:20 PM

See? I was right! Get on an airplane hobbie, go to the drug free pillowpino paradise.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 10:23 PM

Hobbie is lacking a fundamental understanding of economic principal. Shooting of drug dealers only signals the market that their is a new business opportunity and that the temporary shortage of product delivery has increased prices. The personal risk also increased prices. However, there is still a demand for the drug .

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 10:24 PM

lol

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 10:26 PM

No jury? No trial? Just summary execution on the spot?

Don't know why we didn't think of it before.

Maybe because it won't work until you stop the demand.

Mike

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 10:27 PM

Finn beat me to it. Lol

Mike

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 10:44 PM

No jury? Please show where I stated that No trial? Please show where I stated that Just summary execution on the spot? Please show where I stated that

Mike

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 10:48 PM

Fair enough.

Now if fur was illegal to sell or possess but one pelt would net a week's wages would people still trap and sell it?

Mike

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 10:55 PM

Fair enough.

Now if fur was illegal to sell or possess but one pelt would net a week's wages would people still trap and sell it?

Mike

Like moonshiners...

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 11:01 PM

Coonshiners.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 11:31 PM

Coonshiners.

Lol. And according to SCOTUS, and their rulings on the tenth, well, the Commerce Clause, the fed's have every right to drop the hammer on States that legalize weed. But I wouldn't worry about it happening soon cause weasel Sessions is focused on Bundy now lol.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 11:41 PM

They don't want to stop the drugs no more than they want to stop all the so called terrorist. That would put them out of business and no longer would they have a reason to steal anymore tax dollars.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 11:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Hupurest

can you claim income from federally illegal activities? youre screwed if you do, screwed if you don't.

transactions are in cash, banking is even screwy.

lots of ways for the feds to cause crap.... seizing accounts, "structuring" deposit accusations and seizures, etc...

its also discrimination to only legalize weed, reducing jailtime and crimes for certain income range and ethnicities.

to be fair, they should legalize Cocaine, so that upper middle class and up, white people can enjoy recreation without worry about jail.

Then is it not discrimination that alchohol and tobacco are legal ? If marijuana is no more or less dangerous and 60% of the people are behind leagalization then we know what the right thing to do here is. Now if you want to argue for legalizing cocaine and heroin we can do that seperatly,run a poll for both drugs to see where the people stand on it.

If the people believe it should be legal then legal it should be ! You can't save people from themselves and have a free nation in the same hand.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 11:49 PM

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 11:52 PM

They don't care. They only care about the tax dollars and monopolies.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 11:54 PM

If we just give the war on drugs another year or two I bet it will work lol. Good post Rivers.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 11:56 PM

No jury? No trial? Just summary execution on the spot?

Mike

There's no profit in stopping demand.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 11:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Catch22
If we just give the war on drugs another year or two I bet it will work lol. Good post Rivers.

There is no such thing as a war on drugs it's an inanimate object just like a gun. It's a war on people who use drugs,the Constitution and the tax payer.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/05/18 11:59 PM

Muddy your making a mistake on your reliance on polls. Just ask Hilary......

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 12:03 AM

Originally Posted By: J Staton
Muddy your making a mistake on your reliance on polls. Just ask Hilary......

I dont think they would fudge the polls against what they want.Truth be told it's probably higher than 60%,the tax payer is broke.

And the ones that are not will be when this debt bomb goes off.We can't afford this.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 12:22 AM

The federal and state government will let you...

· Buy and drink enough booze to float a battleship.

· Buy enough cigarettes to give the whole planet cancer.

· Blow your whole paycheck on the lottery or at a casino.

· Buy and eat your weight in Little Debbie cakes.

Thank goodness the government is here to protect me from my poor decisions. And it has only cost us how much in enforcement and incarceration?

Mike

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 12:31 AM

I've read 1/5th of our incarcerated citizens are serving time for nonviolent drug crimes. If one owned stock in private prison industry those are weak numbers and need to upped in order for dividends tonincrease.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 12:34 AM

Seattle has a soda tax of 1.75 cents an ounce as of January 1 to save everyone there ! laugh

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 12:49 AM

The federal and state government will let you...

· Buy and drink enough booze to float a battleship.

· Buy enough cigarettes to give the whole planet cancer.

· Blow your whole paycheck on the lottery or at a casino.

· Buy and eat your weight in Little Debbie cakes.

Thank goodness the government is here to protect me from my poor decisions. And it has only cost us how much in enforcement and incarceration?

Mike
In each case these products are legal which for many makes them legitimate. I've always thought that on many things,pot included, instead of making it legal how about we just make it not illegal. Keep it in that grey area.

Although it would be nice to be able to legislate morality, it's impossible to do. People always have the free will to make both bad and good choices.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 12:59 AM

War on drugs is worse than a joke. Its used as an excuse to constantly push up against my liberty. Our government allows Afghanistan to produce most of the worlds opium in order to keep some influence there. We didn't have a problem with "organized crime" until alcohol prohibition. Then came narcotic prohibition and the booze pirates just changed drugs. Its not working and is the catalyst for a lot of government, judicial and law enforcement corruption. Its also very very very lucrative.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 01:02 AM

Originally Posted By: J Staton

Mike
In each case these products are legal which for many makes them legitimate. I've always thought that on many things,pot included, instead of making it legal how about we just make it not illegal. Keep it in that grey area.

[/quote]
I didn't know there was a gray area between legal and not illegal? Please explain.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 01:07 AM

Mike [/quote]In each case these products are legal which for many makes them legitimate. I've always thought that on many things,pot included, instead of making it legal how about we just make it not illegal. Keep it in that grey area.

I didn't know there was a gray area between legal and not illegal? Please explain. [/quote]
That's like being almost pregnant lol. And spot on danny.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 01:09 AM

Legal .........comes with a multitude of stipulations

Not illegal ........no harm no foul ........move on to something else

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 01:14 AM

Originally Posted By: AntiGov

That's quite an interesting way of looking at the world. It doesn't make any sense, but it is interesting.
This opinion explains quite a bit about the Republican philosophy on government and life itself.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 01:16 AM

What was pot before it was illegal? No law on the books suggesting it's legality or illegality. That's the grey area I'm referring to.
In AR a trapper could use a 660 style trap for beaver trapping 10 years ago. Someone inquired about their legality and now they are illegal to use. Loose lips, sink ships!

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 01:21 AM

That's quite an interesting way of looking at the world. It doesn't make any sense, but it is interesting.
This opinion explains quite a bit about the Republican philosophy on government and life itself.

I wouldn't expect it to make sense in your delusional bubble

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 01:22 AM

If the feds aren't cracking down on every state that made it legal, I would say their turning the cheek and it's in the gray then .
Legal in the state ,illegal in the fed , right in the middle of both .

Like other products before, people want to make it legal to be a legitimate product as many states are doing .

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 01:31 AM

The assumption that making something that was once illegal, legal, would come with a multitude of stipulations is unique to those belonging to political parties that can't help themselves but to limit the freedom of others. It is a philosophy that goes much deeper than this weed issue. It should make one wary of any attempt by either party to repeal any unnecessary law or regulation because at face value it cannot be a full repeal, only legal with stipulations.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 01:33 AM

I would guess that "legitmate" is up for debate.

I don't have a dog in the pot fight. Not my thing, never was. But I do have a dog in the liberty fight.

No one seems to have a problem criminalizing things they don't agree with that don't effect them ... Until it's something they do agree with.

It's a slippery slope and once it starts slipping it never stops.

Look at all the bureaucratic garbage we deal with now. We all gripe about it, but we're all real quick to hand more power over to the bureaucrats.

Mike

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 01:38 AM

Perhaps the conversation should shift as to why we leave it to government to signal to us what a 'legitimate' product is? Shouldn't that be left to the agreement made between the buyer and the seller? Does government need to be involved in every transaction we ever make?

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 01:41 AM

The assumption that making something that was once illegal, legal, would come with a multitude of stipulations is unique to those belonging to political parties that can't help themselves but to limit the freedom of others. It is a philosophy that goes much deeper than this weed issue. It should make one wary of any attempt by either party to repeal any unnecessary law or regulation because at face value it cannot be a full repeal, only legal with stipulations.

What's worse is your infinite struggle to differentiate reality from fantasy
Posted By: PSB1011

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 01:42 AM

Hard to find concrete workers as it is
If they put every concrete worker around here in prison for smoking pot, there would not hardly be anybody left to work concrete at all
No joke

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 01:51 AM

Originally Posted By: PSB1011
Hard to find concrete workers as it is
If they put every concrete worker around here in prison for smoking pot, there would not hardly be anybody left to work concrete at all
No joke

Guy I went to school with won a bid to pour concrete in the oil fields. The customer demanded pee tests. He lost his whole crew over it.

Mike

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 01:54 AM

Many different trades would lose half of the workers if they had to be tested .
Hard to replace them with good workers also .

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 01:57 AM

Mike

Very well said.
Agree.
Posted By: NateM

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 02:03 AM

If you still believe polling numbers your the last one

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 02:09 AM

Well the 8 states or so ,the majority made it legal for recreation , so that must be over 50% in them states . grin

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 02:17 AM

We vote on our state question to approve Medical Marijuana on June 26. It's about time and I expect it will pass. I have an old knee injury that needs treatment.

It will be interesting to see what Sessions actually does regarding federal enforcement. Trump has hung Sessions out before and the reversal of the Cole Memo stance smells like a political stunt.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 02:19 AM

In the summer of 2017 a Jeff Sessions led Drug Enforcement Agency decided that hemp (the same plant grown for fiber by George Washington and Thomas Jefferson) is a schedule 1 drug just like marijuana. Lucky that our founding fathers are long since dead so they won't face federal prosecution!

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 02:23 AM

We used to drain oil out of pans right on the ground. That's illegal now. Good thing I don't work in construction any more.

lol

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 02:33 AM

On one of the weed shows on TV, they said legally one of the two strains is not considered punishable in California , don't remember if it was Sativa or Indica .

Easiest thing to do would be take it off schedule 1 .

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 02:33 AM

Used to ???
Posted By: ilbucksndux

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 02:38 AM

I believe the Federal government should have less power than it does. I believe the states that legalized weed even though it was a federal law were wrong. Why aint we building that wall right now ? I think that states should legalize marijuana and tax it and the money should go to schools and Emergency Medical Services both are underfunded or no funds exist for it.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 02:45 AM

Everything everybody wants is under funded . grin
Unless your a lobbyists!

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 02:46 AM

Everything should be underfunded except those enumerated in the Constitution

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 02:47 AM

We used to drain oil out of pans right on the ground. That's illegal now. Good thing I don't work in construction any more.

lol

Do you think construction workers who smoke pot are a recent development?

Mike

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 02:48 AM

Used to ???

LOL!

I'm sure since it was deemed illegal it doesn't occur anymore.

Mike

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 02:50 AM

lol

Mike

Or workers in general .

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 02:54 AM

lol

Mike

Wasn't that one of the reasons it was initially listed? The "man" didn't like seeing the dock workers getting high enjoying themselves, felt threatened.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 02:57 AM

I've heard multiple reasons for it being criminalized...

Cotton growers didn't like the competition...

It was an excuse to deport Mexican laborers after the harvest was in...

And let's not forget that cinematic gem Reefer Madness.

Mike

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 03:05 AM

Who needs an excuse ???

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 03:13 AM

Ah yes....reefer madness. LOL!

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 03:16 AM

Don'tcha just hate it when those young women get drug crazed and throw caution to the wind !?!?!?
Posted By: Canvasback2

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 03:18 AM

This all started with Nixon. They never wanted to class it as a Schedule 1 drug. But, Nixon wanted it that way.

There is a good article on it in Scientific American Magazine.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 03:21 AM

Funny , I guess the picture show must of failed in their attempt , been over 80 years !

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 03:24 AM

I live in the original weed state. The Federal government are morons for not jumping on the weed bandwagon, it is a license to print money.

Once dead Colorado towns are thriving because of tax revenues. Weed is more expensive now then when it wasn't legal. And sit by a weed store and watch who comes and go. Majority of people are over the age of 60, and women.

Millionaires have been made overnight. The commerce chain is long, from the irrigation companys selling supplies, to lighting stores,to security, and even the lowly wildlife control guy who has to protect the green gold from wildlife.

I don't like to be judged by others, so I try not to make it a point to judge myself. If burning a big one floats your boat, letr rip tater chip.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 03:45 AM

Who needs an excuse ???

Apparently they were having problems with the "itinerant" farm hands sticking around and stealing jobs after the harvest was in... Poor schmucks didn't know they were supposed to go home. Lol

Of course if they had handed out all the freebies back then they wouldn't have been snatching up all the jobs. laugh

Mike

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 03:49 AM

Another load headed into Denver for the weekend !
Back 4 bales are reserved for the lawyers and doctors .

Posted By: tjm

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 03:57 AM

Waay back when it (the prohibition of hemp) was put at DuPont's nylon to replace hemp in military supplies and Intn.Paper not wanting cheap hemp paper on the market. Believe they financed Reefer Madness, or so I read once.

The only way states rights work is if the states refuse Federal money, so long as they take the money they will be coerced into relinquishing their rights.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 04:26 AM

Jesus was a Capricorn
He ate organic food.
And never wore no shoes
I he came down again

Jeff Session's sure would. laugh

It would be Pontius Pilate all over again.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 04:42 AM

How do you KNOW that statement is true ???

Seems to me that private prison concessionaires are always cheaper than the state doing it themselves.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 04:47 AM

Looks like a chimo

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 05:17 AM

Originally Posted By: tjm
Waay back when it (the prohibition of hemp) was put at DuPont's nylon to replace hemp in military supplies and Intn.Paper not wanting cheap hemp paper on the market. Believe they financed Reefer Madness, or so I read once.

The only way states rights work is if the states refuse Federal money, so long as they take the money they will be coerced into relinquishing their rights.

That may work on other things but with how SCOTUS has ruled on the Commerce Clause, I don't think it will work on weed.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 01:50 PM

So if weed growers don't pay federal taxes on their federally illegal business (would be self incriminating) does that mean their income wouldn't be counted in order to get federal benefits such as SNAP and MA?

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 02:29 PM

Tweed it's been determined that federal taxes are being paid on weedy income in weed legal states currently.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 02:34 PM

Originally Posted By: tjm

And the Fed has an unlimited money printing machine called the Federal Reserve Bank that is not Federal at all ! And illegal under the Constitution.That's why they are not dependent on the tax money they bring in,they just print the rest of what they want. Maybe it's the Fed who needs to be brought up on charges and not the people.

The more they print the less the dollar is worth and the more debt they put us and the future into. Not to mention the economic danger it creates that they lie about every day on the mainstream media.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 03:04 PM

Tweed it's been determined that federal taxes are being paid on weedy income in weed legal states currently.

I guess what was kind of getting at is, can weed producers use the 5th to circumvent fed taxes.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 03:36 PM

More than likely if Congress votes to decriminalize,legalize or reduce the scheduling of weed there will be a lot of new faces in the next election as corporation's pull campaign financing from those who voted against their wishes.

That's what the real deal is.And if that's not the definition of fascism i don't know what is.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 03:42 PM

I guess what was kind of getting at is, can weed producers use the 5th to circumvent fed taxes.

I think when they popped Capone, Holmes ruled that the 5th does not protect criminals from reporting illegal income.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 03:43 PM

Pleading the 5th, for what that is worth, only works in court. The IRS don't give a hoot about self incrimination. I would guess the IRS would use the fact that the state income tax records show you are a sellin dank and didn't give the fed extortionist's their cut if it ever made it to court. I would guses IRS would just size your assets and sell them to another idiot if you didn't pay the extortion money.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 04:06 PM

More than likely if Congress votes to decriminalize,legalize or reduce the scheduling of weed there will be a lot of new faces in the next election as corporation's pull campaign financing from those who voted against their wishes.

That's what the real deal is.And if that's not the definition of fascism i don't know what is.

Do you patronize businesses that don't share your view of how the world should be?

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 04:38 PM

Do you ?

It's not about the way i think the world should be, It's the way it is.

Do you believe the Constitution is the law of the land or the politician's and corporation's are ?

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 04:48 PM

No I don't. Sometimes it can't be helped but when it can I try to spend my money in businesses where the owner is of the same values.

By doing so, Most money is spent locally.

I select and plan vacations with the same mind set.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 04:50 PM

Me to. I buy American given the chance.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 05:00 PM

As stated earlier, Colorado pays all the same taxes as any other business in the state, they just pay in cash. The Government is getting their cut. I think I read somewhere that Colorado took in 500 million in taxes in one year.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 05:02 PM

Pleading the 5th, for what that is worth, only works in court. The IRS don't give a hoot about self incrimination. I would guess the IRS would use the fact that the state income tax records show you are a sellin dank and didn't give the fed extortionist's their cut if it ever made it to court. I would guses IRS would just size your assets and sell them to another idiot if you didn't pay the extortion money.

What is your occupation? Horticulture.

Mike

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 05:10 PM

I could be way off here, and hopefully Blaine County or Pass-thru will correct my mistake, BUT........ I don't believe you have constitutional rights in tax court. You don't enjoy the presumption of innocence. In order to claim 5th amendment protections you must get your case into the criminal court system ...title 18 I think.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 06:03 PM

Made in the USA business success story if there ever was one.

Lots of new jobs and R&D going on to make new strains and develop new growing techniques.

100% for it myself!

Originally Posted By: coloradocat
I live in the original weed state. The Federal government are morons for not jumping on the weed bandwagon, it is a license to print money.

Once dead Colorado towns are thriving because of tax revenues. Weed is more expensive now then when it wasn't legal. And sit by a weed store and watch who comes and go. Majority of people are over the age of 60, and women.

Millionaires have been made overnight. The commerce chain is long, from the irrigation companys selling supplies, to lighting stores,to security, and even the lowly wildlife control guy who has to protect the green gold from wildlife.

I don't like to be judged by others, so I try not to make it a point to judge myself. If burning a big one floats your boat, letr rip tater chip.
Posted By: hippie

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 07:00 PM

Not much to add to this thread, but two things..........................

In order to have a valid opinion, everybody must........
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASQ-yHWKSQk

And to understand Flynfinns, everybody should visit Fantasy Island at least once to experience his Eutopia.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 07:15 PM

No such thing as utopia in this life. Just live as free as possible. I guess if my attitude had a theme song it would be this;

https://youtu.be/azxoVRTwlNg

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 07:19 PM

Lol, i was hoping you could point to somewhere that resembles the eutopia you long for.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 07:25 PM

Originally Posted By: hippie
Lol, i was hoping you could point to somewhere that resembles the eutopia you long for.

What are you even talking about? Take your meds and go for your afternoon nap.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 07:28 PM

wink
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 10:36 PM

What kind of ticks me off is the feds claim that marijuana has no medical value but will not allow any studies to be done to prove if that is true or not. Anecdotal evidence is pretty strong that pot (in particular the CBD strains that don't get you high) have a lot of medical benefits.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 10:41 PM

No such thing as utopia in this life. Just live as free as possible. I guess if my attitude had a theme song it would be this;

So now you wish you were a little girl ? ..................put the pipe down man !

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 11:23 PM

So now you wish you were a little girl ? ..................put the pipe down man !

Come on Gov, that was classy man. I agree with the Finn as far as to say his point of view is as it should be, but without considering how things actually are, with no bridge to get us there. If that makes sense.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/06/18 11:45 PM

I explained the political philosophy of those like lovgov earlier. It is unfathomable to most republican's to simply let be. To go from having power (power over anything, even something as mundane as a naturally occurring plant) to simply having no opinion is beyond comprehension. When there is only minutes of angle difference between demos and repubs, letting go of anything is considered crazy talk. Sad really.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/07/18 12:36 AM

I explained the political philosophy of those like lovgov earlier. It is unfathomable to most republican's to simply let be. To go from having power (power over anything, even something as mundane as a naturally occurring plant) to simply having no opinion is beyond comprehension. When there is only minutes of angle difference between demos and repubs, letting go of anything is considered crazy talk. Sad really.

Like I said before , your reckless imagination leaves no room for reality

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/07/18 12:54 AM

I could be way off here, and hopefully Blaine County or Pass-thru will correct my mistake, BUT........ I don't believe you have constitutional rights in tax court. You don't enjoy the presumption of innocence. In order to claim 5th Amendment protections you must get your case into the criminal court system ...title 18 I think.
You can claim 5th Amendment protection when dealing with the IRS, but it will ultimately get you in front of a judge via an information request. You will have to produce records (even if you remain silent pleading the 5th) under the required records doctrine. The doctrine acts as an exception to the 5th Amendment protections because the government requires you to keep certain records-even if your activities are illegal and the documents are incriminating. District courts have routinely sided with the IRS on this issue.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/07/18 01:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Blaine County

I could be way off here, and hopefully Blaine County or Pass-thru will correct my mistake, BUT........ I don't believe you have constitutional rights in tax court. You don't enjoy the presumption of innocence. In order to claim 5th Amendment protections you must get your case into the criminal court system ...title 18 I think.
You can claim 5th Amendment protection when dealing with the IRS, but it will ultimately get you in front of a judge via an information request. You will have to produce records (even if you remain silent pleading the 5th) under the required records doctrine. The doctrine acts as an exception to the 5th Amendment protections because the government requires you to keep certain records-even if your activities are illegal and the documents are incriminating. District courts have routinely sided with the IRS on this issue.

Case law supporting this???

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/07/18 01:20 AM

Which part are you concerned about? I commented on White's post, but didn't volunteer to write a memo.

Re: States Rights and Weed - 01/07/18 01:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Blaine County
Which part are you concerned about? I commented on White's post, but didn't volunteer to write a memo.

Well write the memo lol.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums