Home

THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING

Posted By: Ray B

THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/10/18 04:05 PM

http://www.newsweek.com/climate-change-sinking-ocean-rising-sea-levels-772862

THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING UNDER THE WATER WEIGHT FROM MELTING GLACIERS, AND IT’S AS BAD AS IT SOUNDS

BY DANA DOVEY ON 1/7/18 AT 8:00 AM

TECH & SCIENCE
CLIMATE CHANGE
THE OCEAN

So much extra water is being added to the world’s oceans from melting glaciers that the ocean floor is sinking underneath the increasing weight. This ocean floor deformation also means we have miscalculated just how much ocean levels are rising, and the problem could be far worse than previously believed.

Over the past 20 years, ocean basins have sunk an average of 0.004 inches per year. This means that the ocean is 0.08 inches deeper than it was two decades ago. While this small fragment of an inch may not seem much, oceans cover 70 percent of our planet, making the problem bigger than it seems at first glance.

In a study published online in Geophysical Research Levels, researchers explain how they used a mathematical equation known as the elastic sea level equation to more accurately measure the ocean floor. This allowed them to see how much the bottom of the ocean floor has changed from 1993 to 2014. While they are not the first scientists to look at the ocean floor, this is the first time that researchers have taken into account how additional water from melted ice may have further stretched that floor, LiveScience reported.

The results show that the ocean is changing in ways we didn't realize and is sinking further into the earth’s crust. As a result, scientists have underestimated how much sea levels are rising by as much as 8 percent. The study concludes by emphasizing that future sea level measurement should take ocean floor deformation into account in order to more accurately understand how our oceans are evolving.

All the water on the planet today is all the water that has ever existed on the planet, but not all water is in its liquid form. Recently, rising temperatures have caused much of the frozen water on the planet’s glaciers to melt and join the ocean as liquid. This mass melting of ice has raised sea levels, a problem whose consequences we’re already starting to see. The first people to notice the repercussions of rising sea levels are those who live in coastal areas. Rising waters mean less land to live on. In addition, more water in the ocean means that ocean storms, such as hurricanes, have the potential to be stronger and more devastating, National Geographic reported.

Small coastal areas won’t be the only ones to disappear due to rising waters, and if current estimates are correct, by 2100 the ocean will rise between 11 and 38 inches, a number that could mean that much of the U.S. east coast will be covered in water, National Geographic reported.
Posted By: Finster

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/10/18 04:45 PM

Good grief, the insanity will never end. I wish they had a cure for libtard.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/10/18 04:48 PM

How can they even measure 8/10 of an inch. The ocean is never calm level in EVERY spot to measure. What they use to measure if it was shot off of alandmark. A laser that is accurate at over 6,000 ft
. Wonder how much tax money they wasted on this crap.

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/10/18 04:52 PM

They talk about coastline disappearing. If the idiots would stop building their mansions on a cliff !! I watch the news at some one crying as their house slips into the ocean . I feel sorry for just a minute then I realize what an idiot. You built it hanging off of a cliff what you expect.

GOD is not happy with California.. All I'm going to say............................. watch the news
Posted By: white17

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/10/18 04:55 PM

That's 8/100 of an inch
Posted By: cmcf

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/10/18 04:56 PM

It is hysterical. I keep waiting for them to start popping like corn or start jumping off cliffs into the ocean like lemmings.
Posted By: Michigan Trappin

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/10/18 05:12 PM

Does their measurements take in to consideration the rise in ocean ridges. Or the normal rise of terrestrial mountain ranges from the slide of the crust ect ect ect

Not likley, they just need to find something that the useful idiots will eat up
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/10/18 05:16 PM

.004" is roughly equivalent to the thickness of a standard sheet of notebook paper...

A human hair is approximately half that thickness at around .002"

I'm having a hard time believing that they're able to accurately measure measure that small a change. Especially over millions of square miles that is constantly sloshing and getting pulled back and forth across the planet by the moon.

Anyway...

Heracleion was inundated long before man-made climate change was a thing. So apparently oceans tend to rise from time to time.

Mike
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/10/18 06:26 PM

The biggest issue about the melting of glacier ice is the subsequent introduction of dihydrous oxide into the environment. It is responsible for thousands of deaths and millions of dollars in insurance claims each year. Here is a short list of the dangers of dihydrous oxide.
*it is the most universal solvent known.
*corrodes metal
*causes brakes to fail
*causes respratory distress
*distroys wood
*excessive amouts causes root rot in crops
*ruins electronics
*causes electrical shorts
*destroys your homes foundation
*causes damgage to roads
Posted By: PAskinner

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/10/18 06:35 PM

Lol. Good one.
Posted By: Redknot

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/10/18 06:59 PM

Could it be the measurement taken in 1993, while no doubt using the most analytical equipment then, may not have been as accurate as the equipment used in 2014, and the difference is only precision?
Posted By: TreedaBlackdog

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/10/18 07:04 PM

we discussed this in depth yesterday morning - I could not find in the calculations the increased evaporation rates of all the water that was freed from the glacial ice. Also would not the liquid water have gravitational pull down into the voids of the sunken floor and thus reduce sea level.....we had a great time coming up with definitive arguments and thought we should publish all our ideas as well.....but then we got back to work.......ahh I love reading todays science showing how you can "prove" anything with a few thoughts

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/10/18 07:08 PM

for those that cant picture it - fill a cup with water and mark the level......next drill a hole in the bottom simulating the sunken floor.....now record the level of water - did it rise?

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/10/18 07:10 PM

I can easily accept that the sea floor is being depressed by the weight of water. We know that today's land features are still rebounding from the weight of Pleistocene glaciers. If isostatic equilibrium works above water, why would it not work under water ?

We know that ice weighs less per cubic foot than does a cubic foot of water. And that the weight of water increases as temperature decreases; then 5 mile deep water weighs a lot more than 5 mile deep ice.

I do have to question the accuracy of the measurement.

It reminds me of the old adage.....The more precise the statistic, the bigger the lie.

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/10/18 07:20 PM

how can ice which is formed at colder temperatures weigh less than water AND weight of water increase with falling temperatures.....
Posted By: GoneTrappin

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/10/18 07:24 PM

Ice contains air
Posted By: Osky

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/10/18 07:27 PM

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, they say.
If you collapse part of our earthly sphere, the core has to give. Would not there be a very large uptick in volcanos if 70 plus percent of the sphere were collapsing in on itself?

Osky

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/10/18 07:27 PM

mass needs to be taken into account - more energy is utilized in warmer water and thus can be more dense - but then you also will have more evaporation with warmer water as compared to sublimation from ice

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/10/18 07:28 PM

Consider that when water freezes it expands...unlike almost everything else that contracts. So if you take a cubic foot of water and freeze it, it now occupies more than a cubic foot. So.......1 cubic foot of ice weighs 57.2 pounds whereas water...at 70 degrees weighs 62.3 pounds.

As the water gets deeper ....say in the ocean....it's temperature decreases, as does it's volume. It contracts. Therefore, the density of the cubic foot of water increases...Higher weight per cubic foot as temperature decreases. That's why the pressure at the seabed is so much greater than at the surface
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/10/18 07:34 PM

Something has to replace the voids left from pumping oil and gas from the earth???

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/10/18 07:34 PM

volume has changed - liquid water as melted glacial ice will not cause a rise and sunken ocean floor - can not do both - remember we are contracting volume - not expanding when freezing

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/10/18 07:38 PM

white - you are saying as temp decreases as in ocean depth volume decreases but as we all know with ice the volume has expanded - how can it be both

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/10/18 07:41 PM

What you are mistaking is that as the temperature decreases, the DENSITY of that cubic foot of water increases....because the molecules are getting smaller....and more tightly packed.... the cubic foot contains more of them...so the weight ( density) increases

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/10/18 07:44 PM

ice floats with a temperature less than water, it does not sink

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/10/18 07:45 PM

That's right because it's DENSITY is less than the water

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/10/18 07:48 PM

molecules of water do not change size - only the space between them

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/10/18 07:52 PM

so back to the article with liquid water being MORE dense than ice and if its weight is increasing downward pressure on the oceans floor - how does the sea level rise - all with increased evaporation rates as compared to sublimation of the ice?

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/10/18 07:52 PM

OK. lets go from there. If the space between them gets smaller, there is extra space available in the cubic foot for more water molecules. Consequently, the density of the cubic foot increases
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/10/18 07:54 PM

Mass is still mass. Density = mass/volume. Also fresh water runnoff from glaciers has a lower density than sea water. So unless we are talking solely about land based glaciers, melting oceanic glaciers is a wash.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/10/18 08:30 PM

Good grief 8/100"! I doubt they can measure it that good

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/10/18 08:40 PM

Of course the other thing is, "and?..."

I doubt the ocean floor sinking under the weight is going to have any effect percievable affect on the planet. It might slow down the tectonic drifts by thousands of a micron a year maybe.

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/10/18 08:45 PM

That'll be a good thing !

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/10/18 08:55 PM

Not if you're hoping parts of Cal turns into Atlantis tomorrow
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/10/18 09:02 PM

Originally Posted By: TreedaBlackdog
how can ice which is formed at colder temperatures weigh less than water AND weight of water increase with falling temperatures.....

Water is pretty unique in that respect. It has its greatest density at 4C as it gets colder it expands again unlike other materials that contract the colder they get.

By the way, They did not actually measure the sinking of the ocean floor. They came up with a mathematical formula that "predicts" that sinking. A big difference. You can easily change some variables in a formula to change the outcome.

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/10/18 09:11 PM

If you look at a water molecule in liquid form, it looks like a V. When it freezes, it flattens completely, which helps explain why it's less dense in it's frozen form.
Posted By: RiversNorth13

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/10/18 09:11 PM

Will I have to plant my garden 8/100 of a inch deeper now ? !

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/10/18 09:13 PM

Originally Posted By: RiversNorth13

Don't be silly !!

All you really need to do is adjust your lawn mower

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/10/18 09:38 PM

But you need the new John Deere with the micrometer adjustment for the mower deck
Posted By: Hupurest

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/10/18 09:51 PM

Originally Posted By: white17
Originally Posted By: RiversNorth13

Don't be silly !!

All you really need to do is adjust your lawn mower

wait, so if you went down 5 miles in the ocean, and got a sealed 1 cu foot of water, and brought it to the surface, you're saying it would blow up the box, because there is more than 1 cu' of water at sea level?
Posted By: Hupurest

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/10/18 09:54 PM

also, with the water being compressed and denser, would that mean the fish down there are swimming in water with a viscosity like Corn Syrup, rather than the nice, easy to swim through water of the flats in key west?

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/10/18 10:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Hupurest
wait, so if you went down 5 miles in the ocean, and got a sealed 1 cu foot of water, and brought it to the surface, you're saying it would blow up the box, because there is more than 1 cu' of water at sea level?
I'm no expert, far from it. I do know that you can't compress liquid. That's basic hydraulics. That being said, there is a video I have seen but naturally can't find, of a bathysphere that was brought up from a test (no one in it) it was about a mile down. When they brought it back up, it had developed a leak down there and filled with water. They released the lid of this thing and water flew out under pressure like a fire hose. Wish I could find the video.

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/10/18 10:14 PM

Originally Posted By: TreedaBlackdog

That's why it floats
Posted By: teepee2

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/10/18 10:23 PM

I want to know. If i fill my freezer with coons in the grease will it pop the lid off when they freeze. Or better yet will it lead to global warming. Also what effect will it have on the glaciers, ocean floors and sea level. Other than this there isn't a whole lot I think I can do about it. wink
Posted By: Marty

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/10/18 10:39 PM

If the ocean floor sinks then the water level won't rise....sounds good to me.
Posted By: Marty

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/10/18 10:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Finster
Originally Posted By: Hupurest
I'm no expert, far from it. I do know that you can't compress liquid. That's basic hydraulics. That being said, there is a video I have seen but naturally can't find, of a bathysphere that was brought up from a test (no one in it) it was about a mile down. When they brought it back up, it had developed a leak down there and filled with water. They released the lid of this thing and water flew out under pressure like a fire hose. Wish I could find the video.

The air became compressed when the water leaks in...

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/10/18 10:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Marty
Originally Posted By: Finster

The air became compressed when the water leaks in...
That makes sense.

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/10/18 10:47 PM

The ocean floor is sinking... Sky going to fall next?

Mike

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/10/18 11:18 PM

Originally Posted By: teepee2
I want to know. If i fill my freezer with coons in the grease will it pop the lid off when they freeze. Or better yet will it lead to global warming. Also what effect will it have on the glaciers, ocean floors and sea level. Other than this there isn't a whole lot I think I can do about it. wink

the colder you get those frozen coons, the bigger they get. Now don't run off and try to sell them by the cubic foot though.
Posted By: waggler

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/10/18 11:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike in A-town

Mike

I think it was also reported in the same study that; Yes, the sky is falling.

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/10/18 11:41 PM

Mike
Come on now..... Of the ocean is sinking, that means the sky is getting higher. CRIPES! Do I have to figure everything out! grin
Posted By: gutthooked

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/10/18 11:54 PM

Maybe the ocean floor isn't sinking and the sky is falling...

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/11/18 02:47 AM

Mike

Duh?!
What do you think is holding the sky up?
(The sky is just a bunch of air. How would we know if it fell?)
Posted By: waggler

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/11/18 05:30 AM

^^^^^^^
You mustn't understand astrology very well; the sky is that blue stuff above the air; of course it can fall.
Posted By: Mike C

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/11/18 06:07 AM

Water (and Liquids) for PRACTICAL purposes can not be compressed. BUT, technically, they can be compressed under great pressure, such as at the bottom of the ocean. Basic hydraulics. http://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae15.cfm
Posted By: Kart29

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/11/18 12:18 PM

The article doesn't say that the sinking ocean floor is a problem. It says that the sinking ocean floor has hidden some of the increased volume of liquid water in the oceans. Therefore, they now realize that the increase in liquid water in the ocean is even greater than they originally calculated. The sinking of the ocean floor is a good thing, but the increased water that is causing the floor to sink also causes other problems for coastal areas.

Come on guys. Nearly all reputable scientists agree that the earth is warming and the oceans are rising. It's indisputable scientific fact that this is caused by man-made greenhouse gasses. Pick up any peer reviewed scientific study and it will recognize this proven FACT. The irony is this - some of you guys reject and refuse to believe in science, yet you sit here using modern scientific technology to communicate on the internet using an electronic device. If you refuse to believe in modern science knows to be truth, you should turn off your computer and go back to living in the stone age.
Posted By: walleye101

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/11/18 01:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Kart29
The article doesn't say that the sinking ocean floor is a problem. It says that the sinking ocean floor has hidden some of the increased volume of liquid water in the oceans. Therefore, they now realize that the increase in liquid water in the ocean is even greater than they originally calculated. The sinking of the ocean floor is a good thing, but the increased water that is causing the floor to sink also causes other problems for coastal areas.

Come on guys. Nearly all reputable scientists agree that the earth is warming and the oceans are rising. It's indisputable scientific fact that this is caused by man-made greenhouse gasses. Pick up any peer reviewed scientific study and it will recognize this proven FACT. The irony is this - some of you guys reject and refuse to believe in science, yet you sit here using modern scientific technology to communicate on the internet using an electronic device. If you refuse to believe in modern science knows to be truth, you should turn off your computer and go back to living in the stone age.

Kart,
When something is a "proven scientific fact" it does not matter how many reputable scientists agree with it. You seem fairly intelligent. Do you understand the difference between a proven fact and a correlation?

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/11/18 01:33 PM

Personally, I hope the sea levels get a bloody move on. See, I live on a boat and the kids and grand son live in PA. With rising sea levels, I would be able to live closer to the rest of the family and save gas driving up for my visits. Another bonus is that NYC would at last have something to complain about, other then the soda can sizes and gun control.

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/11/18 02:18 PM

Originally Posted By: waggler

I think it was also reported in the same study that; Yes, the sky is falling.

Candyfloss is unicorn belly button fluff.
Posted By: Osky

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/11/18 02:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Scuba1
Personally, I hope the sea levels get a bloody move on. See, I live on a boat and the kids and grand son live in PA. With rising sea levels, I would be able to live closer to the rest of the family and save gas driving up for my visits. Another bonus is that NYC would at last have something to complain about, other then the soda can sizes and gun control.

Well hey now, there you go! ( or float )
I'm kinda glad ocean floors are doing what there supposed to do for a living. I'm told by these scientists that some mountains are growing, I figure that may be because those ocean bottoms are pressing down and pushing those earth pimples up. It all works out.

I'd like to take this moment to thank all those wonderful American women who gave up their hairspray when no others did to save us from that murdeous ozone hole those scientists said would end us all. You ladies at the cost of your beautiful "doos" scared that thing away within minutes it seems. We owe you one ladies. Maybe now if you throw away your gravity related underdruther *ahem* devices you could save us all from this newest nemesis, please? Give natural gravity a bit of help here? Hate to jump out ahead of those expert scientists solution to this crisis but thank you in advance a big bunch ladies.

Osky
Posted By: gcs

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/11/18 02:46 PM

So the ocean floor is sinking ,because of the extra water weight, while the land is rebounding from the glaciers weight, sounds like a wash to me...
So we're all good.... cool
Posted By: madcotrappwr

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/11/18 05:00 PM

.08? Get the check out of here.

Did they use a Stanley tape or a Wal-Mart tape measure?

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/11/18 05:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike C
Water (and Liquids) for PRACTICAL purposes can not be compressed. BUT, technically, they can be compressed under great pressure, such as at the bottom of the ocean. Basic hydraulics. http://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae15.cfm

Does it heat up when it's compressed?

(serious question)

Mike
Posted By: Mike C

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/11/18 06:49 PM

Yes it does produce heat. Think of hydraulic lines and reservoirs on excavation equipment, tractors, log splitters etc. If you are thinking about water temperature at the bottom of the ocean being cold, but producing heat due to compression; the heat produced is far less than the cooling effects at the bottom of the ocean: that being lack of sunlight and thermal inversion being two examples.

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/11/18 07:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike C
Yes it does produce heat. Think of hydraulic lines and reservoirs on excavation equipment, tractors, log splitters etc. If you are thinking about water temperature at the bottom of the ocean being cold, but producing heat due to compression; the heat produced is far less than the cooling effects at the bottom of the ocean: that being lack of sunlight and thermal inversion being two examples.

Thanks. I knew pressure played a part. Bottled water will remain liquid after freestanding water freezes, at least to a certain temperature... Until you crack the cap. Pretty cool to watch it freeze in front of your eyes after you crack the cap.

Mike

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/11/18 07:46 PM

Posted By: trapdog1

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/11/18 08:49 PM

Simply a made up crisis in search of grant funding.

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/12/18 12:41 AM

You sir, are either a master of sarcastic wit, or someone who has absolutely no knowledge of the Scientific Method.
I need to know which is true so that I will know whether to bow to you for your masterful yarn spinning skills, or offer to take up a collection to send you to a reputable University to take Science 101.
Posted By: hrdtoflw

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/12/18 01:55 AM

Whatever is happening now, has happened before. 99 of 100 climate change non believeres have agreed on this, therefore proving it! Lol
Posted By: BudGuidry

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/12/18 04:06 AM

Originally Posted By: waggler
^^^^^^^
You mustn't understand astrology very well; the sky is that blue stuff above the air; of course it can fall.

Being you brought up astrology I got a couple questions needing answers
Shouldn't the study of proctology have been called astrology?
So a proctologist should be an astrologist?
A hemoroid an asteroid?
Man I'm so confused
Posted By: Kart29

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/12/18 12:56 PM

Originally Posted By: 52Carl

You sir, are either a master of sarcastic wit, or someone who has absolutely no knowledge of the Scientific Method.
I need to know which is true so that I will know whether to bow to you for your masterful yarn spinning skills, or offer to take up a collection to send you to a reputable University to take Science 101.

I'll take that as a compliment. However, a free Science 101 class does sound appealing. As long as I don't have to study sociology or some other nonsense along with it.

Unfortunately, my attempt to stir things up didn't take off very well. Seems that some "believe Science" when it suits their viewpoint of the world but ridicule "Science" when it makes other claims. I find the hypocrisy comical.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/12/18 03:49 PM

With increased water instead of ice the oceans will do both, that is compress the softer bottom surfaces due to increased weight and also rise and spread their surface area over more square miles etc. This will also back up all sources flowing water into the oceans. As minimal as it is in inches or fractions of inches the portions of the earth that were covered with ice from the last ice age are still rising as they recover from the compression that a mile or so of ice over them caused that compression. Here in Eastern WI that can be seen along the Lake Michigan shore line. Changing the geography and geology from natural occurring events can take a very long time.

Bryce
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/12/18 05:42 PM

And somebody has to ask, "Do trappers over think things?"
Posted By: walleye101

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING - 01/12/18 09:23 PM

I'll take that as a compliment. However, a free Science 101 class does sound appealing. As long as I don't have to study sociology or some other nonsense along with it.

Unfortunately, my attempt to stir things up didn't take off very well. Seems that some "believe Science" when it suits their viewpoint of the world but ridicule "Science" when it makes other claims. I find the hypocrisy comical.

Take it as a comliment if you wish, but you missed his point completely. If you had any understanding about Scientific Method you would understand the Science isn't something you have to "believe in". Scientific facts can be proven.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums