Home

Frabill ice shanty

Posted By: TrapperJohn97

Frabill ice shanty - 01/10/18 10:42 PM

Bought a fragile aegis, at the end of 2015, used it last year and this year, my Windows are starting to crack and I am starting to see light in spots through the fabric of the shelter, anyone have similar problems, how is their customer service, and at the end of ice season I have taken the fabric off the sled and stored it indoors
Posted By: JakeDog

Re: Frabill ice shanty - 01/10/18 10:45 PM

Just dont be a panzy and go out there without one?? toughen up a bit !! dang - laugh
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Frabill ice shanty - 01/10/18 11:12 PM

You are not going to get much help IMHO. It's fairly typical if you are putting them to much use.
Posted By: RiversNorth13

Re: Frabill ice shanty - 01/10/18 11:25 PM

It's in how a person stores them in the off season also .
Eskimo makes replacements maybe they do to .
Posted By: RiversNorth13

Re: Frabill ice shanty - 01/10/18 11:32 PM

laugh

Posted By: imissed

Re: Frabill ice shanty - 01/10/18 11:46 PM

Still beats barebacking it on a 5 gallon bucket. Did that for many years. In some nasty weather.

Brad
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Frabill ice shanty - 01/11/18 12:14 AM

Get a hub style shack...this one is going on 10 years I bet...light weight ,folds up into a carry bag ,sets up in under a minute
Posted By: Trap Setter

Re: Frabill ice shanty - 01/11/18 12:23 AM

Nessmuck is that an Ice Cube? If it is I have had mine 12 years still goimg strong though I did have to fix the poles by re glueing them in the hubs
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Frabill ice shanty - 01/11/18 12:38 AM

I have no idea what y'all talking about

Re: Frabill ice shanty - 01/11/18 12:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Trap Setter
Nessmuck is that an Ice Cube? If it is I have had mine 12 years still goimg strong though I did have to fix the poles by re glueing them in the hubs

It's a KillZone.....bought it on line 159.00 some time ago....love it.....and I made my own anchoring system...wind tested and everything !!

Re: Frabill ice shanty - 01/11/18 12:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Scuba1
I have no idea what y'all talking about

Yah need ice ...to understand what we're cooking !
Posted By: Squaretimber

Re: Frabill ice shanty - 01/11/18 12:52 AM

Mine is 12 years old and I can see light through lots of places. It still keeps the wind off of you and the heater warms it up nicely.

Re: Frabill ice shanty - 01/11/18 12:56 AM

I have ice ..... its in the freezer. Strawberry and vanilla flavor ...... still no idea what y'all on about

Re: Frabill ice shanty - 01/11/18 01:07 AM

I have ice ..... its in the freezer. Strawberry and vanilla flavor ...... still no idea what y'all on about

So yah Nevah been ice fishing before ?

Re: Frabill ice shanty - 01/11/18 01:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Nessmuck

Get a hub style shack...this one is going on 10 years I bet...light weight ,folds up into a carry bag ,sets up in under a minute

I'd only recommend a hub if your fishing out of a truck and don't move much. It's not uncommon for me to move a half dozen or more times a day if I'm not on the fish. And sometimes it will be a 10 mile plus move where the roads aren't plowed. I'd recommend a flip over to the hard core user running with snowmobiles or ATVs.

This location is about 12 miles from the nearest landing, well a landing in the US. No roads plowed there, dont let the lack of snow fool anyone, it was late March.

Re: Frabill ice shanty - 01/11/18 01:53 AM

Nice set up Steve ! ....we walk and drag Smitty sleds onto the lakes...set up the house and start drinking...drill some holes in tight on shore for rainbows and jig out of the house for lakers.......if it Nice out....will drill some more holes with in walking distance from the shack and try our luck.

Re: Frabill ice shanty - 01/11/18 02:22 AM

Nope nevah

Re: Frabill ice shanty - 01/11/18 02:31 AM

Nope nevah

All you do is drill a hole with your auger...clean out the hole of slush...set up your chair....and put a smelt on you hook...and lower it down the hole ...you can use a jig stick (as pictured) or a small short 18 inch spinning rod...Drink Beeah and wait for a bite...on the nasty days we go inside the warm shack,heated with a buddy heater and a Radio ,for some music...very relaxing .
Posted By: Kre

Re: Frabill ice shanty - 01/11/18 03:02 AM

Originally Posted By: TrapperJohn97
Bought a fragile aegis, at the end of 2015, used it last year and this year, my Windows are starting to crack and I am starting to see light in spots through the fabric of the shelter, anyone have similar problems, how is their customer service, and at the end of ice season I have taken the fabric off the sled and stored it indoors

I have a Frabill Predator that's 11 years old. I called customer service and was able to get a new canvast but it was $400. Expensive but cheaper than a new shack.
Posted By: gcs

Re: Frabill ice shanty - 01/11/18 02:57 PM

I used to watch guys flounder fishing in an open 16' rental boat, in March, 38 degrees, blowing white caps over the bow.
Is ice fishing more fun then that? grin
Posted By: Tradbow1

Re: Frabill ice shanty - 01/11/18 03:45 PM

I have both a hub and an otter flip over. The flip overs rock!!!!

Hubs have frequent pole failures. And the wind catches them like a kite! Almost lost mine trying to setup on tuesday. Sure u can ice screw with a drill. Reality is drill batteries die quickly in the cold!!! I was chasing lakers tuesday withthe hub. Wind blew hard enough it busted the straps!!!
Posted By: ToTheWoods

Re: Frabill ice shanty - 01/11/18 04:01 PM

I have had my frabill flip over style for around 12 or better years. Day one I singed the material with the lantern. The fabric has not seperated at all since. After a few years I too could see thins spots in the fabric. This has in no way hindered the performance of the shack at all. If you really need to you can get a replacement. One thing did years ago is sprayed the outside with 3M scotchguard. Help repel water and such. Also as you said remove the tent when being stored in the winter. Try and lay it out without a bunch of folds in as well and this will help as well.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Frabill ice shanty - 01/11/18 04:02 PM

Hunted deer in Alabama once ...the Landowner absolutely did not believe we drove trucks on the lakes here. I'd still call frabill ant talk to them... can't hurt.

Re: Frabill ice shanty - 01/12/18 12:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Tradbow1

Hubs have frequent pole failures. And the wind catches them like a kite! Almost lost mine trying to setup on tuesday. Sure u can ice screw with a drill. Reality is drill batteries die quickly in the cold!!! I was chasing lakers tuesday withthe hub. Wind blew hard enough it busted the straps!!!

I had to put my hip boots on ,to read this....:)
Posted By: TrapperJohn97

Re: Frabill ice shanty - 01/12/18 01:51 AM

I agree with him, I had a killzone hub style before I bought the flip over, the hub was ok, but it was a pain, couldn't fish in the wind, poles broke, where with the flip over I can fish in any weather, and it has been more durable than the killzone

Re: Frabill ice shanty - 01/12/18 02:52 AM

Originally Posted By: TrapperJohn97

I agree with him, I had a killzone hub style before I bought the flip over, the hub was ok, but it was a pain, couldn't fish in the wind, poles broke, where with the flip over I can fish in any weather, and it has been more durable than the killzone

What were you anchoring it to the ice with..?

Re: Frabill ice shanty - 01/12/18 06:01 AM

what the heck do I know, you might want a full body suit instead of hippers, they're never tall enough........ah but than again I don't consider myself a fair weather fisherman! Makes for interesting times...come on up, I'll take you to the wind factory! Nothing beats first hand experience....I'll show ya for free! You might even catch a few fish on top of it.

Last week we had an eskimo roll over two people trying to get set up, two men running ice screws as fast as we could get the in.....blow city!!! Thankfully between 4 of us, we were able to hold on long enough to get a break and get the thing stuck to the ice. what a royal PAIN IN THE BUTT!!!

Oh bring a spare battery..when it's -30, they don't last long, I don't sit on one hole if the fish are not biting....
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Frabill ice shanty - 01/12/18 06:06 AM

I have, but never in a "house". We'd just chop a hole in the ice, and sit on an overturned bucket. Figure this must be some millennial trend like waxing your privates, LOL.

Re: Frabill ice shanty - 01/12/18 06:23 AM

Yup...when it howling out on the lake....we find a cove to fish in....or try another day. It's recreational fishing for me....not to feed my family...so I watch the weather and pick my spots.

Re: Frabill ice shanty - 01/12/18 06:26 AM

Posted By: Cannon Ball

Re: Frabill ice shanty - 01/12/18 06:10 PM

I consider myself a pretty avid outdoorsman. I have hunted, trapped and fished my whole life and have enjoyed every minute of it. I have never tired it but for some reason sitting out over the ice waiting on a fish to swim to me just does not look like my cup of tea. I am sure it is a northern thing that us southerners just cannot grasp.

Re: Frabill ice shanty - 01/12/18 11:38 PM

Well. You either fish on ice. Or you dont fish at all....

Buddy texted me a nice 15lb laker from this morning just to rub it in i should have taken the day off!
Posted By: mudtracker

Re: Frabill ice shanty - 01/13/18 12:02 AM

Well, we don't have NASCAR, so we ice fish

Re: Frabill ice shanty - 01/13/18 12:17 AM

Originally Posted By: mudtracker
Well, we don't have NASCAR, so we ice fish

LMAO.....I would rather sit on a frozen lake,fishing out of a 10 inch hole... than watch cars make lefts hand turns for 3 hours....
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Frabill ice shanty - 01/13/18 01:05 AM

If I can catch my limit in a hour or two, I don't fish for another couple weeks.

Re: Frabill ice shanty - 01/13/18 01:35 AM

Another pop up dies. Buddy who was out laker fishing today busted poles on his clam.........

And i quote
‘Broke my ********* shack today, 3 poles snapped’, Says ice fishing buddy...
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Frabill ice shanty - 01/13/18 03:06 AM

I just fish on nice days.

Re: Frabill ice shanty - 01/13/18 03:23 AM

Another pop up dies. Buddy who was out laker fishing today busted poles on his clam.........

And i quote

Why are all your hubs breaking down ? You guys getting all gooned up and making believe to be MMA fighters in the Hub ?

Re: Frabill ice shanty - 01/13/18 04:37 AM

And i quote

Why are all your hubs breaking down ? You guys getting all gooned up and making believe to be MMA fighters in the Hub ?

Because the wind blows. I fish a lake that the wind can come for 35 miles. I have a hub and if it's blowing 20 mph, plus it will stay home. When it starts blowing 25 30 mph I fish in the hard house.

Re: Frabill ice shanty - 01/13/18 04:52 AM

We have lake Winnipesaukee here in NH , 21 miles and 212 feet deep...like Trapper Les....I fish on nice days.

Re: Frabill ice shanty - 01/13/18 10:15 AM

I was at work ness! It didnt sound particularly windy either. Not like tuesday.

I know many fair weather people with busted poles in hib style tents, goes all the way back to matrix 360 blind days, nothings changed!. I guess we just fish a little more than most wink.

Re: Frabill ice shanty - 01/13/18 01:28 PM

I don't fish alot in the he winter anymore like I used to because of time constraints. Maybe 20 30 days on the ice is all anymore. If I only fished nice days it would be hard to get out what with everything else that goes on. I try to avoid the bitter cold like we have now but that is about it.

If the guys to the west of me didn't fish windy days they'd never fish lol.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums