Home

Concealed carry help

Posted By: Tattoodlineman

Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 02:14 AM

Trapper friends with CC permit, need some help choosing a CC pistol for myself.
I do not have much experience with pistols, And I have only had my permit for a year. I only own one pistol and it’s the only one I have ever fired in my life. (LC9s)

After a near death experience I had before I decided to get my permit, I would like a pistol to suit me for an up close encounter, should the need ever arise.
I’m a skinny redneck and don’t wear baggy clothing.
Any recommendations?
Do you like to carry inside waistband, pocket, exc...?
I’m seeing a lot of different holsters for carrying concealed on the market but not sure which one would be best for me.

It would be nice to be able to try the (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) gun before I dump hundreds of $, but all the gunshops around me don’t allow you to try the pistol before you purchase.
I am signed up for one on one self defense training classes with a retired police officer next month, so I would like to start practicing and be acclimated with my weapon somewhat, before my training.

Looking for advice

Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 02:19 AM

I carry mine in the side cargo pocket. Have back problems and can't wear a belt holster. Taurus 380. Maybe not the best access but can get to it pretty easily
Posted By: grumley701

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 02:25 AM

The cloths you choose is as important or even more so than the holster you choose. Buy one size up in pants and shirts, winter time carry is easy with an inside pocket of your coat.
Posted By: Osky

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 02:26 AM

Find a shop that does let you try the merchandise. Until you handle one, feel it, the fit to your hand, the style of action etc, you should not be dwelling on the holster.
Who cares how or where you carry it if it is not a tool you can naturally handle and use in a hurry.

Osky
Posted By: white17

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 02:29 AM

If you have an LC9s now, is that not to your liking for CC ?
Posted By: Posco

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 02:30 AM

I have a inside the waistband holster. Smith & Wesson Shield in .45 Auto. Very happy with it.

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 02:31 AM

The new LC9's with the new trigger are a nice shooting pistol.

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 02:37 AM

Originally Posted By: white17
If you have an LC9s now, is that not to your liking for CC ?

Not really sure. Judge just granted me my concealed so I haven’t purchased any type of concealed holster for it yet.

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 02:41 AM

Oh so you are more in the market for a holster rather than a new gun. I understand now.

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 02:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Osky
Find a shop that does let you try the merchandise. Until you handle one, feel it, the fit to your hand, the style of action etc, you should not be dwelling on the holster.
Who cares how or where you carry it if it is not a tool you can naturally handle and use in a hurry.

Osky

I found a place an hour and half drive away that let’s you test the gun, but they charge $75 cleaning fee.
Posted By: wkimble1

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 02:42 AM

I go between a glock 43 and a sig p938. Love them both. I’m not a huge guy eaither so I feel your pain about finding something that’s comfortable and doesn’t print. Whatever you do choose, make sure you’re extremely proficient in drawing and shooting it. If the time comes, you’ll only have a split second. Make sure you’re like a machine.

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 02:46 AM

Oh so you are more in the market for a holster rather than a new gun. I understand now.

Sorry if I confused. But yeah looking for recommendations for new gun, as well as what kind of concealed holster someone with CC experience would recommend for someone my build ( or lack of!)

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 02:54 AM

Well I use a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2. It is an IWB holster and the best I have used. I tried a few before finally finding one I like.

Your LC9s should be ok if you are comfortable with it and can shoot it. Does it fit your hand ? Do you understand how the gun operates ? Does it feel 'safe' when you handle it? Do you like or dislike the double action ?
Posted By: Jim Frazier

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 02:57 AM

I carry a shield 9 iwb or owb under belt in a CYA holster. Really like the CYA holster. They are made in the USA by Veterans.
Posted By: adam m

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 02:58 AM

I'm skinny too I like my Sticky holster. Stickys are designed to carry your gun iwb or in pocket. I wear mine iwb as my shield 45 takes up my jean front pocket but fits perfectly in the back pocket.
The thing I'm starting to not like is the reholstering (especially in a hurry or drills) and after awhile you gotta clean the holster or the gun slips easily.
Posted By: JohnnyY

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 03:00 AM

Performance Center Smith and Wesson Shield. In .40 or 9mm Great carry weapon. I carry mine OWB and my wife carries hers IWB (.40) Very accurate for a small frame

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 03:03 AM

One of my CC is also a S & W shield in .40, I shoot it well.
Posted By: Trappercass

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 03:07 AM

I am a 1911 fan. So I go with either a sig p238, p938, or kimber ultra carry. I had a local guy use my pistols for the holster molds and carry them outside the waist high and tight. The ultra and the 238 are both small enough they practically conceal themselves.
Posted By: CoonsBane

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 03:11 AM

Kel-Tec P3A-T in a wallet holster. Rides in my back pocket. I call it my American Express, I don't leave home without it. In fact, I have carried it all day, every day for about 10 years.
Posted By: Acoody

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 03:13 AM

Love my Kahr PM45 with my white hat holster or summer time I use a Ace Case belly band holster being 5’7 and 145 pounds I can wear shorts and t-shirt

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 03:16 AM

Well I use a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2. It is an IWB holster and the best I have used. I tried a few before finally finding one I like.

Your LC9s should be ok if you are comfortable with it and can shoot it. Does it fit your hand ? Do you understand how the gun operates ? Does it feel 'safe' when you handle it? Do you like or dislike the double action ?

I def like the double action, but as I said it’s the only pistol I have ever fired in my life.
Fits my hand perfect, I understand my weapon well, I can take it apart, clean it and put it back together with my eyes closed it’s my baby. But it’s my only pistol and when carrying OWB around my farm, several times I have noticed my safety in the fire position. I’m constantly in and out of truck 50x a day, somehow because of where the safety is it gets moved to the fire position. That worries me if I want to carry it IWB because of my build.
Posted By: Marty

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 03:21 AM

Kahr PM9 hides easily.

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 03:28 AM

The gentleman at the gun shop also recommended the Kahr PM9 or the kimber micro9

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 03:38 AM

That would definitely concern me about that safety !!

I carry a 1911 and have never had anything like that happen. Also, with the 1911 there is the added security of the grip safety. It is single action though and you may not like it. For me, I would never go to a double action. So it's all what you are comfortable with.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 03:40 AM

I had a hard time getting my head around polymer frames and striker fires. I'm glad I got over it.
Posted By: elktrack

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 03:52 AM

I'm skinny too and can totally understand the challenge of carrying concealed. You will find that there isn't one holster that will work for you 365 days a year. You'll get to the point where you have a couple that you use depending on what you are wearing and time of year. I carry appendix a lot but will switch up depending on clothing/weather/activities etc. The number one thing you need to focus on is training though. Train, train, train. The carry method will evolve as you get more proficient too. Quality training is well worth it and you can take it and practice on your own. You'll start to develop preferences on what you wanna carry and how to carry. You will always revert to your training when things get nasty and it won't matter if you're concealing a 50 Cal if you haven't trained with it. Remember,carrying a gun isn't supposed to be comfortable,it's supposed to be comforting.

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 03:54 AM

PM9 has no safety but you do not need one on a pistol....6+1 with flush mag, 7 and 8 round mags are available.

One thing about mine is that when putting in a fresh mag I have to be sure that the top round is seated properly in the mag or there may be an issue, the way the mags are designed its possible for the top round to get pushed out of proper position and it may not feed correctly. I just work around that when I reload. I have $350 in all that you see in the first picture.

Posted By: elktrack

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 04:00 AM

As far as what weapon? Sounds like you've got a good relationship going with the one you have now. Keep using it and focus on your skills. Don't worry about the safety getting disengaged occasionally as your working and bumping around, that's gonna happen. As long as your holster prevents anything from reaching the trigger you'll be fine.
Keep your booger hook off the trigger until it's time to get busy. If I were in your shoes I'd take the pistol you have and like and train and shoot the heck out of it and shoot everything you get a chance to. You'll figure out what you like.
Posted By: wwc

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 05:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Trappercass
I am a 1911 fan. So I go with either a sig p238, p938, or kimber ultra carry. I had a local guy use my pistols for the holster molds and carry them outside the waist high and tight. The ultra and the 238 are both small enough they practically conceal themselves.

X2 on the Sig's if you are like every other red blooded American you will not own just one ,take your time and do your research and talk to a lot of people and don't be afraid to ask to shoot someone's gun .
Posted By: varmintshooter

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 12:11 PM

You might have to drive a little but I am sure there is a gun shop/ shooting range somewhere close to you. We have several within a few hours of me. You can rent pistols and revolvers and try them out. Most places like this also sell guns and all types of holsters. Your second option would be a pistol club.
If the gun does not fit your hand you will not shoot it well. Gun stocks come in different sizes and so do folks hands. Recoil will also make a big difference. Find a place to shoot before buying and don't get caught up in cal. sizes. One well placed .22 is better than a bad shot with a .45.
If you are carrying for self protection you will need to find a place to shoot and practice anyway and a pistol coach will help wonders.
Posted By: EdP

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 12:51 PM

My daily carry is an LC9s in a Crossbreed IWB holster. At 5'8" and 160 lbs, staying truly concealed requires an untucked shirt. That way there is no printing and the holster belt clips are out of sight. As an alternative I can tuck my shirt and wear a vest over it.

The LC9 trigger sucks but the LC9s is a huge improvement (I've had both). For $300 you get a good reliable 9mm that is about as small and easy to carry as any you can get. Many others make similar models of similar size and price. Most are double action only. Just pick what feels good in your hand. You can't go wrong with the LC9s, but the others are out there because different folks like different things.
Posted By: farmnhunt

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 02:30 PM

I like the sig 938 and the alien gear holster is the most comfortable inside the waistband I've carried. i prefer the leather backing.
Posted By: 2ndjoborfun

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 02:36 PM

Mini Glock here (40 caliber)

2nd
Posted By: ToTheWoods

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 02:46 PM

The only way to truly know it to try the weapon for yourself. Example... I like the glocks, like how it feels in my hand... until I shoot it. You should really shoot and fit the gun to what is comfortable to you. That goes witht the method of carry as well
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 02:48 PM

Originally Posted By: elktrack
As far as what weapon? Sounds like you've got a good relationship going with the one you have now. Keep using it and focus on your skills. Don't worry about the safety getting disengaged occasionally as your working and bumping around, that's gonna happen. As long as your holster prevents anything from reaching the trigger you'll be fine.
Keep your booger hook off the trigger until it's time to get busy. If I were in your shoes I'd take the pistol you have and like and train and shoot the heck out of it and shoot everything you get a chance to. You'll figure out what you like.

X2
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 03:47 PM

One thing to remember is if you are holding a gun at a gun shop that is not the carry weight. After you put the rounds in it some are rather heavy. You guys that carry 10 mm or 40 I don't know how you can stand the weight ,but that is me.
Posted By: doublesettrigger

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 04:23 PM

LC9S in a Remora holster, front pocket carry in bib overalls, military trousers or pants with loose pocket. It also carries fine in cowboy boot but of course boot or leg carry is quite a bit slower to draw. LC9S has the best trigger of all the small 9's that I have ever tried. Whatever you get, practice, practice, practice.

Rickey
Posted By: Rye

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 04:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Trappercass

This. I have a 238, and will be getting the 938 as soon as practical to purchase. The LCP, and the like, are just harsh weapons to fire. I'm not a glock fan at all, so that rules out another class for me. As for carry, I have an all leather IWB made by a local guy that works awesome.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 05:14 PM

Originally Posted By: jbyrd63
One thing to remember is if you are holding a gun at a gun shop that is not the carry weight. After you put the rounds in it some are rather heavy. You guys that carry 10 mm or 40 I don't know how you can stand the weight ,but that is me.

I agree. I prefer revolvers and my carry pistol is a S&W Airweight 38Spl. I have a Colt King Cobra 357 with a 5 inch barrel. I would much prefer to carry it. But, with a belt holster, it pulls my pants down. I don't understand how you guys that carry a 10m or a 45 ACP can do it?
Posted By: trapperbill

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 05:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Trapper7
Originally Posted By: jbyrd63

I agree. I prefer revolvers and my carry pistol is a S&W Airweight 38Spl. I have a Colt King Cobra 357 with a 5 inch barrel. I would much prefer to carry it. But, with a belt holster, it pulls my pants down. I don't understand how you guys that carry a 10m or a 45 ACP can do it?
You need a good gun belt!! Without a good proper gun belt as the foundation the whole thing falls down like a house.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 05:21 PM

Is the gun belt in addition to the belt that holds up your pants?
Posted By: Jim Frazier

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 05:25 PM

Agree with Trapperbill. I bought my belt from Hanks belts. It is a heavy duty belt and I really like it a lot.
Posted By: trapperbill

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 05:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Trapper7
Is the gun belt in addition to the belt that holds up your pants?
No Good leather gun belts you buy from holster makers. Dept. store belts don't cut it. Check out AG Custom Leather gun belts. All he makes are gun belts.. I also like Grizzle leather gun belts.I prefer horsehide myself. I should add if you have never worn a true gun belt by a holster maker and you finally buy one you will wonder how you made out before without one.It really takes the load off
Posted By: RKG

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 05:36 PM

We have several shooting ranges opening up here in NEPA that offer a full line of firearms for people to try out. Think of it like a bowling alley- you rent the lane and then get to choose which ball to roll down it. Same idea in these ranges. You rent the time and pay for the ammo, but then you have carte blanche.

As far as deciding on a carry gun, I always recommend to people to only carry what they are 100% confident in themselves, and not what the popular decision of everyone else is. I have a favorite hammer, I've used it forever. I can drive finish brads or 20 pennys, no problem. If I use your hammer, it feels different to me and I'm not as accurate or effective with it. My hammer may not have the brand name that yours does, may not weigh the same, might look older, but I will swing it against anyone any day of the week.

Hopefully you never have to draw your firearm in self defense, but if you do, you need to have 100% confidence in it. This includes your method of carry, your method of draw and your ability to be effective during discharge.

Buying a gun does not make you safe, quite the opposite. (you draw it and don't use it, the bad guy will take it and use it on you). Being confident and competent with your gun is what makes the difference.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 05:46 PM

there is nothing Wrong with the LC9 for a sub compact especially if you have the LC9s pro that removes the magazine disconnect

I carry the original LC9 the double action the LC9s is striker fired

it sounds like you need holsters , the thing about holsters is everyone gets a few , I make my own so I have even more

we could talk about larger guns I like my Glock 19 for it's capacity but I think NY limits you to 10 rounds or less any way

9mm is a good choice it brings nearly the power of any other handgun but in a less expensive to buy round for practice

all good carry ammo is hovering around a dollar a round in most cases

modes of carry you can do with a LC9 , I pocket carry it in a Alabama holster company Kydex pocket holster , you can carry IWB in the wast band , an Ailien gear is a good but not bank breaking option for this or you can carry OWB outside the waste band

the Belt should not be overlooked , you need a good belt even the light 17.1 oz gun with 4-5 more ounces of ammo hanging on a belt all day will make a poor quality belt sag or twist. the belt needs to hold it's shape with weight on it especially if your going to run a pancake style OWB with a high center of gravity. this holds the gun up high and makes cover garments more easily conceal the gun .

time to ask yourself some questions ,

Am I putting this gun on and wearing it all day every where I go ?
or do I need to be able to take it off and secure it soem places I go ?

if you answered that you will need to take the gun off you may want to use a paddle type holster

the last thing I want to do is have a Negligent Discharge when I am out and have to take my gun off and put it back on SO I never remove it from the holster if I don't have to , I take it off with the holster , if I am in and out a lot pocket carry the holster comes right out of the pocket stays with the gun and I can secure both , or OWB with a paddle

for training purposes I recomend an OWB your going to be in and out of the holster , make it one that is easy to holster , ridged be it leather or kydex the gun should move with you and not bounce around

her is a Kydex pancake pancake means it is 2 peices of Kydex sandwich molded around the gun , I cut belt slots in this one but it could have belt slides that secure with screws also

the gun goes in an out easy enough for me but is held firmly enough that if the holster is turned upside down and given a shake the gun will not come out. at minimum it should not come out when turned upside down, you shoudl have to overcome the tension holding it in to draw.

this slight leaning forward angle is called FBI cant because the fbi figured out when your sitting in a car or at a desk you get poked less in the side if it is tipped forward a bit

the LC9 is thin it hides easily with an undershirt / tank top and a slightly oversize cover garment be it a t-shirt or button up shirt left untucked

I like the Duluth Trading long tail T's because I am already tall and most t-shirts would show my belly but ideally I can raise my arms over my head to reach a high shelf at the grocery and not lift my shirt above the bottom edge of my holster I like it if raising my hands over my head my shirt still covers all + an inch or two of the holster.

start with an OWB because you will need it for training , it is January and that gives you time to get other deeper concealment options later as things warm up.

next thing you need more magazines , 3 is a minimum for training more is better , stuffing mags is wasting instructor time

a mag carrier for the weak hand is ideal especially if your instructor will have you running move and reload drills

practice up shooting basic target first , figure out your trigger control , work on shooing an accurate group on target at say 20 feet the LC9 is easily capable of a better than 6 inch group at 21 feet but get to where you can shoot a 6 inch group at 21 feet , dry fire can be very usefull in this , concentrate ont he front sight on the target and sqweeeeeeeeze keep your sight on target , repeat , repeat , repeat till the gun is on target all through your trigger pull and the click. then laod up and repeat till you have the group

holster and un-holster dry a bunch of times as in no ammo

finger off the trigger till the sights are on the target

practice that as soon as your gun clears holster your muzzle moves forward and your elbow down , this is not the greatest video but basically explains retention , I don't worry about the ejection port pointing out , just pull gun out elbow down muzzle toward target , you can shoot from that position or you can continue right up into a 2 handed grip and push out to shoot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqQAgtNMwDY
this guy re-holsters fast , no need to re-holster fast , do it slow , deliberate make sure no clothing is getting in the way and you are not pointing the gun at yourself finger is of course off the trigger , if the police show up and you haven't re-holstered yet no worries before they get out of the car lay the gun on the ground put your hands up it is much more likely you will have to call the police and wait for them to show up, look around you with gun at low ready , when the area is safe re-holster

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 05:57 PM

I know a few people who have gotten ccl to 'protect' themselves.....they are not 'gun' people. They take the ccl class and get a gun, take it to the range a few times and are then 'ready'..... laugh

Just my opinion but they would be better off buying good running shoes.

Anyway....if you carry and need to employ the handgun in a public place at close quarters, most documented incidents are inside 15', you need to have a plan set for that now.....

Your accountable for every bullet and what every bullet damages...including bystanders. So....it is good to understand that in a public place where other folks are around its best to shoot the bad guy low in the pelvis...at close quarters the bullet will not travel very far if you miss or it goes thru the bad guy....if you aim high, upper body or head...a 9mm will only drop 6"-8" in 100 yards....if your shooting down to the pelvis the bullet will hit the ground quickly and loose most of its power...multiple hits to the pelvis will quickly end the threat. Lower pelvis usually circumvents most body armor also.

Anyway....the average person who buys a gun for protection and the carries it is like a newbi who buys some traps and plays with them at the house....never uses them in the field and now is a 'trapper'.

Proper training is pretty important and if you employ a gun in a public place you really need to be aware of the background.

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 06:02 PM

do not worry about the safety on the lC9 moving to the fire position while holstered , as long as you have a good holster that covers the trigger the holster is the safety

the LC9s pro completely did away with the safety the majority of handguns carried by law enforcement today have no external safety

you get in the practice of your draw stroke thumbing down that safety but if it is already off it isn't hurting anything mine has always done the same thing , only time I use the safety is for when I am holstering

I shoot a number of Glocks that have no external sefety , it is fine.

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 09:56 PM

Good lord just getting back on. You guys are awesome! Thank you

After reading everyone’s responses I think I’m going to stick to my LC9s for my concealed carry and my self defense firearm training classes. As many have stated I have a good relationship with my LC9s so why change now. I’ve shot thousands of rounds through it and am very accurate with it and more importantly I am comfortable with it.

I’ll check out some of the CC holsters y’all have recommended later tonight when I get home. I believe my firearm instructor is starting me off OWB.

I’ve been shooting shotguns and rifles since I was a young man, and I never imagined I’d be into pistols, until I had one pointed at my temple with my 16yr old daughter sitting next to me in the (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) city two years ago. It was a 20 second life changing event for me.

I purchased my pistol strictly for myself and family protection, but here I am a year later and I love it. I want more! The wife and kids also enjoy shooting pistol as well.

Greencountypete- thanks for that link to you tube! And all that info. Must have taken u a while to type all that thank you.

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 10:04 PM

Originally Posted By: varmintshooter
You might have to drive a little but I am sure there is a gun shop/ shooting range somewhere close to you. . Find a place to shoot before buying and don't get caught up in cal. sizes

I’m not a gun range guy at all, my friends and I built a sweet set up on my 200 acre property for just about any type of firearm shooting. That’s allllllll we do my friend. I figured why go pay to shoot at a range when I can do it right at home.

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 10:06 PM

I carry a 1911 and have never had anything like that happen. Also, with the 1911 there is the added security of the grip safety. It is single action though and you may not like it. For me, I would never go to a double action. So it's all what you are comfortable with.

Could you explain why you prefer single action over double? I’ve never shot a single action. Thanks
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 10:33 PM

Well, I AIN'T skinny, far from it, AND I prefer a strong side RH Cross Draw carry for my 1911 or S&W Mod 60, and am having the Devil's own time finding holsters too. Most will have a RH forward Rake, that's totally backwards for a Cross Draw.
A) Buy the widest, thickest belt that will fit your pants.
B) Whichever holster you pick, cinch the belt up as tight as you can stand it.
C) PRACTICE the draw, ie: getting the laundry out of the way so's you can get your draw hand on the grip. That's why I like the Cross draw. LH moves shirt etc, then draws spare mags, RH grabs the pistol and draws. Much the same as RH shoulder holster, which is pretty handy and comfortable, bu is a problem when going inside from cold to inside warm.
D) A local range has all kinds of pistols you can rent to try, not sure about holsters
E) Don't forget about those extra mags/ammo, they need to be carried too.

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 10:47 PM

if you have a good handle on accurately shooting the gun , then just some more practice and drills.

a drill / test that really tests the essential handgun skills is called EL-Prez

the back story is Col. James Cooper who trained Marines then foreign secret service and then opened gunsite academy broke down handgun skills to hitting the target , the draw , the reload and target acquisition.

3 targets about a yard apart left right at 21 feet , for the sub compact you could move them to 15 feet if you want

with your back to the targets hands up surrender position you get the GO command or timer beep you turn, draw , fire 2 rounds on each target reload , fire 2 more rounds on each target

your goal is to turn draw put 12 rounds on 3 targets with a reload in 10 seconds or less you start slow only keeping track of your time to keep speeding up just a little bit each time if you miss a target slow down , figure out where your wasting time , how you can make it faster , when you first start 10 seconds seems really fast but it is doable

this gets you moving , drawing ,transitioning targets , using the controlled pairs and reloading

word of caution make very sure you have turned to face the targets before clearing the holster so that your not waving the gun around , establish grip as your turning but do not pull till facing the targets for safety reasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTuycSFYk4M

Army marksmanship unit does great videos , the only thing I would say different than how he shows it , is while that is faster ( he is a paid competitor) , practice turning weak had toward the target , because if the threat isn't a distance away you may have to block with your weak and and fire from retention.

sometimes what you do in competition to buy speed isn't what you do for good defensive tactics , so you decide am I using competition to be a competition shooter or to become a better defensive shooter who doesn't care about the prize but wants to win at life.

steel targets like those in the video must be shot at 24 feet or farther to be safe or the bullet fragments can still be moving to fast and they hurt and draw blood or worse safety glasses are a must.
don't shoot dimpled steel , it sends the bullet fragments back at you at a different angle and you get bigger chunks moving faster , the scar on my leg says that is no fun.

you can cut card board 16x16 squares basically half a pizza box make an 8 inch square in the center with a pen so you can't really see it from 15-21 feet away any hit is good in the square is better if you can keep them there with the speed.

you want to get used to shooting at the middle without really aiming at a given point
Posted By: Jumperzee

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 10:53 PM

Good thread. I was in a similar place a couple years ago and enjoyed the research and skill development.

Another decent/affordable holster option is from Alien Gear. I got the cloak tuck 3.0 and like it a lot for my XD Mod 2, although there a lots of good options.

Regardless of your weapon/holster choice, something not discussed above is lots and lots and lots and lots of deliberate practice drawing from concealment. Start slow, use good mechanics and do a gazillion dry fire/snap cap reps to build the muscle memory that hopefully you'll never have to use. Then move up to live fire. There's a lot of good tutorials on Youtube but don't get too carried away on the uber tactial speed stuff. Fun to watch, but not practical for everyday use. Lucky gunner ammo has a good one for the everyday dude to get you started: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rsR2E-kUFA Haley Strategic has a lot of good stuff too that goes into body mechanics and mindset. Worth taking a look if you're into that sort of thing.

Have fun and good luck!

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/12/18 11:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Tattoodlineman

Could you explain why you prefer single action over double? I’ve never shot a single action. Thanks

single action autos like the 1911 have a shorter , lighter release only trigger pull

a striker your moving the triker back some then releasing it forward , a double your moving the hammer back then it releases forward

less motion with trigger finger makes most people more accurate as they are less likely to move the gun off target pulling the trigger. there are strikers that the trigger releases the striker forward and it is returned to a ready to fire position again when the slide comes back.

but most strikers your pulling the striker back some then releasing this is how the Glock works.the striker/firing pin is held in a neutral position under no spring tension on a Glock till you squeeze the trigger then you add the spring tension and release the striker block just before the trigger breaks and the striker / firing pin slams forward.

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/13/18 12:01 AM

The Dozier drill is another practice set at Gunsite in addition to the one Pete describes above ( El Presidente ). It includes a couple things to increase the complexity and stress on the shooter.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/the-dozier-drill/

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/13/18 12:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Jumperzee
Regardless of your weapon/holster choice, something not discussed above is lots and lots and lots and lots of deliberate practice drawing from concealment. Start slow, use good mechanics and do a gazillion dry fire/snap cap reps to build the muscle memory that hopefully you'll never have to use. Then move up to live fire!

Nice
Yeah we practiced some of this at my basic firearm training course last month and I have been practicing almost daily.
Instructor said I should be able to act consistently and to efficiently get the gun into the fight and to keep practicing until my self defense course..
Funny, every time I practice this in the house, for some reason it makes my Rottweiler real uneasy. I have to lock him in a room.

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/13/18 12:37 AM

As Jumper says...lots of practice ! At least 100 presentations each day. Double check that the gun is unloaded !

Professional instruction is worth it's weight in gold. It will eliminate your bad habits and set you on the path of righteousness !! Shortens the learning curve immensely !

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/13/18 12:39 AM

For a carry gun I think a DAO is a lot safer....my daily is a P-250 DAO pistol and it has a recessed hammer that needs to cycle externally for it to fire. When re holstering during training(really anytime) I place my thumb behind the hammer.....if the trigger snags you will feel the hammer move and can stop what your doing. Longer trigger pull will be harder to accidently discharge.

JMO,YMMV.

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/13/18 12:46 AM

I think what you are comfortable with is the safest. Trading back and forth between different carry guns is not a good idea IMO.

I carry my 1911 in condition 1. Round in the chamber and the hammer full back, and safety on (software won't allow correct term). Even if I dropped the piece and it hit muzzle down...it won't fire.

The one thing I would like is a loaded chamber indicator for exercises in the dark.

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/13/18 12:51 AM

Glocks are known for discharging while being holstered...they call it glockleg... smile

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/13/18 12:53 AM

Hate 'em !!!

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/13/18 01:02 AM

Hate 'em !!!

I concur, I bought my Kahr PM9 for a backup/ultra concealable gun. Much prefer my P-250 for a full sized carry. For live fire training with the Kahr I reholster by removing the holster and then put the gun in it. But it has a place.
Posted By: Birch Tree

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/13/18 01:09 AM

You can get a million different answers to this question and they are all opinion based so I will give you my input/opinion. I am basing my opinions on the fact that I have gone through extensive (MP) military training and shot more than a few IPPSC competitions in my day so take them with a grain of salt!

I would carry the largest handgun that you can conceal well enough and still draw it without interference in a millisecond of time, my personal preference is a full sized 1911 .45 in an inside the waistband holster on my right back side of the hip.

I do not like the micro compact guns because for the average citizen the gun is worthless because of the control factor in a high-stress situation, people are more likely to shoot wild because of the recoil of the little guns, I call them gut guns because that is the range they are best suited for.

The smallest gun that I personally would recommend for an average guy is a Glock 19 (the same size guns in .40/.45 are good if you can handle the recoil), it is light enough and easy to control, carries plenty of rounds and the 9mm is mild but sharp and can be kept from "running" away from the target during rapid fire (likely to happen in a combat situation with all the adrenaline pumping). The smallest gun I have fired is the Freedom arms belt buckle revolver in .22 LR and one version in .22 magnum and both are not even usable in a firefight, I owned a Keltec subcompact 9mm and got rid of it because the DOA trigger plus the recoil made the gun unfit for CC IMO for uncontrollability. If you can't control a gun it does you no good in a fight period and just because you can shoot it at paper well enough doesn't mean you can control it during a very high-stress situation.

That you are taking one-on-one classes with a professional trainer with LE background is awesome, it speaks volumes for your desire to be a safe CC holder! Even after the training is complete, practice as much as you can afford to using the same techniques he trains you in but you will most likely have to do it on private property because most ranges will not let you shoot like that for liability reasons. IPPSC shooting is a good substitute albeit an expensive one!

I know many people who have the Ruger LC series of guns will argue with me on my opinions but I am betting most if not all of them have never had to use those guns in an actual firefight, more power to them and I pray they never have to use it as I pray you will never have to use yours, God bless and keep you safe!

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/13/18 01:54 AM

The one thing I would like is a loaded chamber indicator for exercises in the dark.

My buddy from work came up to my range today and let me try his SR45. It had a loaded chamber indicator which I really liked. I liked the way it fit in my hands and the textured grip felt very secure right away when I held. I did not like the trigger pull at all.

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/13/18 01:58 AM

Love all the input you veteran CC guys and military fellas are feeding me.
However my piggy bank might not agree after I hit the gun shop tomorrow grin

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/13/18 02:03 AM

Piggy banks and gun shops rarely agree !!
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/13/18 03:00 AM

Planning on getting my CC permit soon and haven't got a gun picked out. Thank all of you for all the great information.

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/13/18 04:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Marty
Glocks are known for discharging while being holstered...they call it glockleg... smile

really good at going bang when you pull the trigger , be it your finger or clothing caught in the holster

always holster in a safe direction

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/13/18 04:30 AM

if we knew we were headed into a fire fight , we wouldn't go.

if we had no other option but to go we would bring help with rifles and body armor.

but we don't know when it will happen or where it will happen. so carrying a small 9mm is a lot more useful than a full size left at home. as long as you are familiar with it and practiced.

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/13/18 04:33 AM

I carry a full sized pistol daily..

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/15/18 12:52 AM

So I had my first 10 hours of CC self defense training this weekend, instructor turned me onto this for practicing in the House.
Saves on ammo and helps break the trigger too.

https://www.itargetpro.com/
Posted By: trapper20

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/15/18 01:38 AM

First off you said you don't have much experience with a pistol. First thing you should do is practice. Next get a feel for a pistol at a good shop. Try on a few ccw holsters. Then practice practice practice. Practice drawing, and then practice drawing and firing. Before carrying make sure you understand what could happen if you use it.
Before people start bashing me. I agree I'd rather be alive and face the music than be dead! And if in a life or death situation pull and shoot without hesitation. This more for knowing what to do when the police show up and if you decide to use your weapon for other reasons.

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/15/18 01:56 AM

Originally Posted By: trapper20
First off you said you don't have much experience with a pistol. First thing you should do is practice. Next get a feel for a pistol at a good shop. Try on a few ccw holsters. Then practice practice practice. Practice drawing, and then practice drawing and firing. Before carrying make sure you understand what could happen if you use.

All of which I HAVE been doing

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/15/18 02:44 AM

For concealed carry.....after you figure out what holster you will use and where it will always be placed on your body.....hold pistol up as if shooting with an extended arm with one hand and use the other hand to align sights while figuring out your 'perfect' (master) grip.

While retaining this grip reverse engineer the pistol back into the holster...paying attention to your hand position after it is fully inserted.

That is the proper hand position to initiate the draw.....you will be able to come right up to sight alignment and instinctive shooting at very close quarters.

Different holsters dictate a different initial hand position.....I have a few that I have to draw with just the thumb and the pinky and ring finger while my first two fingers remain pointed along the side of the pistol until it clears the holster....then I can get those two fingers into the correct grip. How close the holster holds the gun to your body, its position on the body and the cut away below the trigger guard will be the things that are different from one set up to another.

When a second may be very important there will be no time to fumble around with your grip.

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/15/18 02:54 AM

I am familiar with the itarget

it is dry fire practice with instant gratification , it is my opinion if you can be honest with yourself as to where your sights really were on the target when the trigger broke and your gun stayed on target , then you don't need an electric gadget to tell you that.

I have a friend who is confined to a wheel chair that really likes his , he just can't get to the range near as often as he would like.

really getting good at breaking the trigger clean and strait back will allow you to shoot distances few think are possible with a handgun. not that shooting a 12 inch steel plate at 100 yards with a compact pistol is something you need , it is kind of fun . but having the trigger control that well developed will make the close shots that much faster and easier

have you worked on controlled pairs at all ?
Posted By: meat eater

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/15/18 06:29 AM

I carry a Springfield SDS 45 In the small of my back, I have hip problems and IWB on my side makes my hip hurt, I also carry a Kimber Solo 9mm, and for a pocket gun I carry a Kel-Tec 380 mostly in the summer because they are much smaller. It doesn't matter the gun manufacture as long as it is a reputable name, it matters most what fits you, your comfortable with, and you are accurate with, holsters is the same way, whatever works for you, unfortunately you may have to buy and sell a few holsters before you get that one you love.

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/16/18 12:51 AM

Originally Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE
I am familiar with the itarget

it is dry fire practice with instant gratification , it is my opinion if you can be honest with yourself as to where your sights really were on the target when the trigger broke and your gun stayed on target , then you don't need an electric gadget to tell you that.

I have a friend who is confined to a wheel chair that really likes his , he just can't get to the range near as often as he would like.

really getting good at breaking the trigger clean and strait back will allow you to shoot distances few think are possible with a handgun. not that shooting a 12 inch steel plate at 100 yards with a compact pistol is something you need , it is kind of fun . but having the trigger control that well developed will make the close shots that much faster and easier

have you worked on controlled pairs at all ?

Yes he’s started me off with basic controlled pairs Saturday. Hours of it! Then he started applying stress, I did surprisingly well with accuracy. My weapon jammed up a couple times and he also showed me how to safely clear it which is something I was thankful for.

During my “basic” firearms training class I took last year, the last event we did was shooting at the life size target @100 yards for fun, whoever hit it the most out of 5 shots won a $50 gift card to a local gun shop. I did not hit the target at all. Lol The guy next to me hit center mass 3x!

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/16/18 01:02 AM

Yes he’s started me off with basic controlled pairs Saturday. Hours of it! Then he started applying stress, I did surprisingly well with accuracy. My weapon jammed up a couple times and he also showed me how to safely clear it which is something I was thankful for.

That would concern me waaaaaay more than the safety issue. I had ONE FTF in my training and it was because the primer was upside down in the case. If you have had FTF a "couple times" I would be looking at new magazines or a different gun

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/16/18 01:10 AM

So far I’ve purchased three different IWB holsters for my LC9S, and go figure the one I liked the most was the cheapest one smh...Made by Blackhawk, suede like material open top grip up. As I said before I’m skinny and the material is very comfortable to the body.
The one I got from forgetech was ok, concealed well and was comfortable, but I didn’t like how the weapon sat straight up and down and could not adjust the angle.

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/16/18 01:29 AM

That would concern me waaaaaay more than the safety issue. I had ONE FTF in my training and it was because the primer was upside down in the case. If you have had FTF a "couple times" I would be looking at new magazines or a different gun

Stop giving me reasons to buy more pistols!
Joking aside, not going to lie I don’t like the countless number of times I look down or check and my safety is off. It gets turned off very easily. I’m 41 yrs old and I still hear my father harping me when I was young “is your safety on, is your safety on, is your safety on?”......

And yes my weapon jammed 2x, both times nearing the end of my training class,
Instructor said I didn’t secure clip property. Clips were getting covered with snow/ice laying on ground.
Posted By: ruffhunter

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/16/18 02:19 AM

total BS. Every manufacture has made millions of Double action only, striker fired handguns. No such case on Spontaneous discharge

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/16/18 02:28 AM

If you eject a magazine Leave it on the ground ! Don't pick it up !! I really don't want to offend you but................ if you are willing to pay for training...get the best !!! Pay for a course at Gunsite !!!
You will never regret the cost!! There is nothing better !!

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/20/18 01:57 AM

I don’t squat when I pee so no offense taken man. All your info and many others info and opinions have really helped me in choosing a cc weapon & comfortable holster.
Some of ya’ll are touchy when it comes to your weapon of choice! I like it. Lol
I’ve purchased 3 more pistols and several holsters to try out, but I am still sticking with my most comfortable and accurate weapon to continue my cc self defense course.
My trainer has some pretty strict rules on his range, one of which is dropping empty clips to the ground and not picking them up until instructed to. After my first class, I now bring a couple rags with me to give them a quick wipe down before I reload the clips. Haven’t had a jam since.

Anyone got any pics of their home shooting range? I’d like to see them for ideas, mines pretty basic but it does the job.

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/20/18 02:18 AM

Good to hear. A gun you're comfortable with is worth it's weight in gold.
What holsters did you land up getting?
Don't forget to practice practice practice with your edc UNLOADED or with snap caps. There's plenty of drills you can do at home with your edc. One I've been doing lately is in vehicle draw and presentations. I do it at night so nobody can say I was brandishing my weapon. Also been doing non dominant hand draws presentation and mag change.
There was a thread on carrying in your vehicle. check it out. It's something to consider where and how you carry while driving.

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/20/18 02:24 AM

Here's the thread about drills at home and includes carrying in your vehicle.

https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/5867969/1

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/20/18 04:00 AM

Originally Posted By: ruffhunter

total BS. Every manufacture has made millions of Double action only, striker fired handguns. No such case on Spontaneous discharge

Its not spontaneous if they catch the trigger on something...no hammer to put your thumb behind as you holster....catch the 'super safe cannot fire without a finger on it' trigger on something and they shoot themselves in the leg.

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/20/18 04:10 AM

If you eject a magazine Leave it on the ground ! Don't pick it up !!

That could get expensive quickly..... eek

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/20/18 04:32 AM

Originally Posted By: adam m
Here's the thread about drills at home and includes carrying in your vehicle.

https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/5867969/1

The biggest problem for a right handed shooter that tries to defend himself from a threat at the drivers window is bringing the gun to bear quickly without sweeping his body. Knowing you are intending to discharge the weapon..... your ready as you bring the gun across and you may discharge it early. The steering wheel is also in the way, if you bring the gun low you will sweep yourself and if you bring the gun high it is visible ....the best spot I have found to keep a handgun in the vehicle for the driver to access is above the drivers visor....as you bring the gun out of the holster your left hand goes to your right shoulder, you lean back to the right and discharge at a downward angle..that will limit bullet travel if you get a pass thru or miss.

That needs to be practiced and the holster needs to be well secured.

But no matter where you will store the gun it should be practiced dry until you get the bugs worked out....firing a gun sideways while its a foot away from you can be touchy. You defiantly want to know how to position your body to avoid self inflicted wounds.
Posted By: bodycount

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/20/18 08:34 PM

Love my Judge. Load personal defense 410 shells in first two chambers. Then finish off with 45's in last three. Go ahead and make my day.

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/20/18 08:50 PM

Well said marty. The visor is the best place for my truck other than against my seat belt buckle. For now it's next to the buckle as I can safely maneuver the gun while laying my body down. Keep in mind I have a solid bench seat which makes maneuvers easier.
Posted By: ilbucksndux

Re: Concealed carry help - 01/20/18 10:28 PM

I stopped reading at the end of page 4 so forgive me if I'm repeating anyone.

I carry a S&W Shield 9 in a leather/kydex holster inside waist band and I wouldn't change anything. There are guys that will tell you you have to buy an expensive holster to be comfortable but that simply is not true. I have tried several of my friends holsters and I cant tell much if any difference in my $40 holster and their $140 holsters.

As far as gun goes Id stick with what you have and just get more comfortable with it.It seems that everyone is offering classes these days and if that would build your confidence you should try out a couple of those. If I had it to do over Id probably buy a Taurus P111. my son has one and its far more accurate at a longer range than my Shield.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums