Home

Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar?

Posted By: MAArcher

Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 01/12/18 10:41 PM

Hello, Just currious if anyone hunts with a Drahthaar and what they think of the breed? Thanks
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 01/12/18 11:09 PM

I don’t own one, but if I were to get a hunting dog. That would be the breed I’d go with.
Posted By: midlander

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 01/12/18 11:44 PM

Friend breeds them, good hunting dogs for sure...
Posted By: white17

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 01/12/18 11:48 PM

I've hunted with one quite a bit. Amazing stamina !
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 01/12/18 11:49 PM

Yes and they were good........but I ended up with smaller, less aggressive (towards people) dogs.......Brittanies....which were also very protective of family...just not toooo much.
Posted By: midlander

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 01/12/18 11:55 PM

Not trying to start an argument, but a Brittany is the only bird dog that I worry about getting nipped by....and they always come up behind you to do it
Posted By: TN_Trapper

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 01/13/18 12:16 AM

Originally Posted By: MAArcher
Hello, Just currious if anyone hunts with a Drahthaar and what they think of the breed? Thanks

I don't hunt with anything I can't pronounce.
Posted By: white17

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 01/13/18 12:24 AM

Originally Posted By: midlander
Not trying to start an argument, but a Brittany is the only bird dog that I worry about getting nipped by....and they always come up behind you to do it

I have hunted with two different Brits. Both were very affectionate. Only one was smart. I suspect it's how they are raised as to whether they are nippers
Posted By: Birch Tree

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 01/13/18 12:29 AM

I do not know about today's standards for the Drahthaars but 20 years ago I knew a wealthy enough guy who had one and he had explained the whole breed and process of the dogs (I did get to meet the dog though I did not hunt with it). The Drahthaar name was a recognition of the training the dog went through and it had to be proven in a trial before a committee, it was very grueling and if the dog failed any one of the 3 areas of the trial it was not deemed worthy of the Drahthaar title, most of the time when a dog failed the owner would put it down because it wasn't deemed fit to live. I believe back then the guy said he paid around 3k for his dog not including his flight and bringing the dog back from Germany after it passed the trial. I know they were expensive as heck back then but I would probably faint at the price today!
Posted By: Posco

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 01/13/18 12:58 AM

I've never been a big fan of the versatile breeds. The ones I've seen do all things okay but nothing really well. I hunt grouse and woodcock over pointing dogs, one of them being a Brit, and yes, he does nip. Pigheaded male. My English Pointer wouldn't think of biting me.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 01/13/18 01:22 AM

I have sold mallard ducks, upland gamebirds and San Juan rabbits to Drathaar owners getting ready for their breed tests on numerous occasions. The dogs had to hunt fur, hunt upland gamebirds, do a 1000 meter blind retrieve on waterfowl, kill a predator (usually a fox or coyote) and act appropriately to humans showing various levels of aggression. Only allowing dogs to breed that pass the tests, tends to produce a high percentage of very good, well rounded hunting dogs.

I think all hunting and working breeds would be improved by only allowing dogs that passed tests appropriate for that breed to reproduce.

Keith
Posted By: okie4570

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 01/13/18 02:47 AM

My buddy bought a pup this summer. He's a hyper hypo sometimes but still a pup of course. He's done a really good job with waterfowl and retrieving this season. Blood trailed three deer this fall as well. Really impressed with him. He and my 8 year old lab have made a pretty good pair this season. We've killed just under 350 ducks this season so far so he's had an incredible first season to learn the ropes.

Posted By: BIRDOGS

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 01/13/18 03:22 AM

hey, I have hunted over both, drahthaar and pudle pointers, wirehairs and shorthairs... this is my advice if your thinking about getting a pup..... socialize with many dogs and many people. I had 8 pudle pointers at one time and loved that breed, German hunting dogs are awesome hunters and are very focused. that's the good news. The reason I switched over to labs was because I got very tired of breaking up dog fights which get the people I hunted with very upset. German hunting dogs are moody about other dogs and other people just like/much like chessies. Each has a fierce possessive traits about game, protecting the roost, and protecting the owner. I loved the drive and point instinct in all my dogs, but while hunting with others, kept my dogs close to me while hunting, and kept people away from the ducks after they were back in the blind. Also, with any German hunting dog, plan on force fetch training.... they will eat a duck while you stand there yelling.... seen it many times!

Plan on strong tough obedience training....in other words, if that dog is more worried about you than he is about the dog next to him that he doesn't know, your hunt will be very peaceful.
Posted By: Aaron Proffitt

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 01/13/18 03:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Posco
I've never been a big fan of the versatile breeds. The ones I've seen do all things okay but nothing really well. I hunt grouse and woodcock over pointing dogs, one of them being a Brit, and yes, he does nip. Pigheaded male. My English Pointer wouldn't think of biting me.

Biggest BS statement of the year thus far . And we’re early into it .
Posted By: Aix sponsa

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 01/13/18 04:14 AM

Amazing breed. I've wanted one for years. I was able to connect with two different people that had one, and I hunted with both. I have good woodcock ground, and we did that. After hunting over em and just being around them briefly really made me like Drathaars even more.

One day I would like to have one. That may or may not happen, its one of those things. If I still hunted, I'd stand a better chance of it. I just don't hunt much anymore

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 01/13/18 04:41 AM

Look , not everyone has the kennel space for a dog for every occasion. The Germans recognized this and addressed it . From Jagd terriers to GSP/GMP’s and DD’s . Properly trained and introduced, they’ll excell at any task handed to them . I’ll never go back to specialized breeds . I’d take my GSP over any lab ( heat tolerance issue) and they’d give and pointing breed a run for their money . And , I think , they’re a better coyote decoy dog than most of the curs. Certainly easier to live with. And they’re not as aggressive as Airedales , much as I love Airedales. Years and years of being a dog guy. GSP’s and GWP’s are it for us.
Posted By: goatman

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 01/13/18 03:34 PM

My neighbor raises and trains these dogs for other people. They have part of their field trial at my pond. He's been raising them for I don't know how long. Several use them also for trailing up wounded deer.

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 01/13/18 04:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Aaron Proffitt

Posco, find a NAVHDA ( North American versatile hunting dog association ) event to go to. Well bred and trained examples of German dogs do it all well.

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 08/20/18 06:38 PM

Well a month or so ago, a brought this furry crocodile into the home. They are a handful, and maybe not he best choice for a home where all family members aren't able to establish themselves as higher in the pecking order, but so far we're making due. He's got some basic commands down, is a retrieving maniac and is doing well on the tracking we just started to train for. He'll get introduced to live birds next week. Week after next I'll take him out for squirrels and see how he does.

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 08/20/18 06:45 PM

Hmmm, how do you rotate pictures? They look right on my laptop but go sideways when I post?
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 08/20/18 07:37 PM

Originally Posted By: MAArcher
Well a month or so ago, a brought this furry crocodile into the home. They are a handful, and maybe not he best choice for a home where all family members aren't able to establish themselves as higher in the pecking order, but so far we're making due. He's got some basic commands down, is a retrieving maniac and is doing well on the tracking we just started to train for. He'll get introduced to live birds next week. Week after next I'll take him out for squirrels and see how he does.

What a beautiful dog! Makes me want to go out and get one!
Posted By: Don

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 08/20/18 08:24 PM

There are some bits of correct info in this thread but as always, much misinformation and hearsay. The dogs can be possessive and some lines can be aggressive.
The first thing all dogs need to be taught and understand is you are the alfa of the pack no "if ands or buts"this should eliminate much of the tension. These dogs are smart beyond belief and may not like the rules but if you set them they understand.
I have Wirehairs not Drahts but the lines are traceable to solid Draht kennels.
1000yd blind retrieves not likely. Drags or tracks yes. 200 yd blinds I have done it.
I hunted field trial bred Labs for 10 years.Versatile dogs leave them in the dust. Do not expect versatiles to be as mechanical but far more natural instincts and abilities. If you want a dog you can handle through a key hole buy a lab. If you want a dog to find a bird or game you know dropped in an area send a versatile dog.We could burn out at least 2 labs a day not so with the Wires.
I have seen good and bad in all breeds but I know what I feed. DO your research before you put a deposit down don't rely on what someone else hard.

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 10/02/18 04:56 PM

My puppy Wes has come in handy already this year. He's just four and a half months old and he's blood trailed two deer this past week! Fist track, my cousins spike horn, was easy. About 80 yards with good blood. Unfortunately the deer died on a wasps nest and when we we flipped him over, they swarmed all over the dog and I. I thought for sure that would turn him off deer tracking, but a few days later I arrowed a nice doe but my arrow got hung up in the offside shoulder so there was very little blood. But Wes followed that track just about as easy as the first. Track ended up being around 150 yards with large 5+ yard gaps in the blood trail and no big blood splashes at all, just pin drops the whole way. Not 100% certain I'd have found the deer without him.

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 10/02/18 05:13 PM

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 10/02/18 05:40 PM

Watching him track is so much fun I'm hoping that when I start trapping with my cousin in a few weeks we have some good spots to use drags so we can have the dog track them.
Posted By: DaYooper14

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 10/02/18 06:18 PM

I bet - great pics, sweet dog!
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 10/03/18 01:25 AM

I owned one for a while...Beautiful dog out of ND. But hardheaded and you always had to stay on top with corrections. Sold him after a couple years for a mellower breed.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 10/03/18 02:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Aaron Proffitt

kind of bad when a guy shares his opinion in a respectful way and someone reacts like that. I've hunted with only a couple and from what I've seen that would of been my opinion before I learn it was such BS.
Posted By: bbasher

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 10/03/18 03:08 AM

Anybody who reads this and is considering a new dog should get a jagdterrier. They will out hunt any dog you've been around and then try to kill any dog you're around!
Posted By: ScottW

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 10/03/18 04:07 AM

I guess most of my photos are too big and I don't feel like resizing them now! Anyways, congrats on your Draht!

I have a Draht named Hank (Immo vom Kennedy) and he is 7 1/2 now. I was thinking about getting a dog and actually had a post on here just before I got him. I was thinking about a Jagd, but someone mentioned Drahts when they read what I wanted in a dog and I'm very glad I went with a Draht. I mainly do upland with some water and a little blood trailing.

MANY things MANY posters have said are accurate in MY experience. Some things are way off of my experiences with them. One thing I woudl tell anyone thinking about a Draht.......if you aren't going to be able to give them LOTS of exercise and put in the time to train and hunt them, just get something else.

One thing I like about the Drahts is the German standard and testing system. Are their times when I wish he was a little calmer at all times? Yes, but the drive in the field and trainability balance that out for me.

I know you will thoroughly enjoy the Draht. Happy trapping! (And hunting) ScottW

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 10/03/18 02:44 PM

Good looking dog Scott. Funny, my pup loves DQ too. They are a handful. All the comments about needing exercise, training, frequent (and often harsh) correction, are all true. Hopefully when the pups a little older I'll confirm that all the good stuff about talent in the field is true as well.

Good luck this season and Fear the Beard!

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 10/23/18 02:13 PM

Originally Posted By: 330-Trapper
I owned one for a while...Beautiful dog out of ND. But hardheaded and you always had to stay on top with corrections. Sold him after a couple years for a mellower breed.

Before this dog, I'd have questioned your character; how can anyone give up on a dog they take into their home? Now I know. These dogs aren't for everyone and they can certainly wear you down. I've given some thought about selling Wes, but every time I think I'm ready to give up he does something to make me think otherwise.
Posted By: Mac

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 10/23/18 04:02 PM

I love dogs but this one I have yet to own or hunt with. I think they are a beautiful breed. Some day when I have become rich and famous, therefore having time and money to bird hunt and trap I will get one!

LOL
Mac

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 10/23/18 07:17 PM

Super cool but Hardheaded

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 10/23/18 11:15 PM

As I stated earlier they are very intelligent if you don't have the time to put into them,don't try one... they will find a way to keep from getting bored,if you can't. That does not always have a positive outcome. They are a lot like teenagers.
Posted By: 2dogs

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 10/24/18 04:13 AM

I have owned labs, goldens, and a chessie the last 45 years. Last 3.5 I have had a Draht. Much of what has been said here is very true. he is the most athletic dog I have ever been around, even more than my Chessie. My first pointing dog and I heeded some advice that told me to let him chase birds as he will never catch one, not true. He has eaten a few grouse. Caught a hare as well. Watched him snatch a training chukar out of the air 10 feet up on the wing. Super smart and trainable, a better trainer would have a lot more out of him. It is truly amazing how fast he can learn things.

The prey drive and birdiness is of the charts, to the point of obsession. Also quick to get in a fight which I do not like. Great dogs for bird hunting, and will run fox for hours. Kind of far ranging and will run head up past birds. For waterfowl just not the coat of a lab or Chessie, and I hunt in the salt water of PWS so it will never happen with him. Super driven to fetch but not the natural retrieving ability of a lab or Chessie but way more seek and find ability. These dogs are truly special and I feel like I have not touched his potential, kind of like if I had a Ferrari for my costco runs.

Also clever/dodgy. leave a Red Salmon or Moose roast to thaw on the counter unattended and all I will find is the empty wrapper hidden under the couch that evening. Force fetch is very necessary, that is a bone crunching mouth.
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 10/24/18 05:44 AM

Originally Posted By: BIRDOGS
hey, I have hunted over both, drahthaar and pudle pointers, wirehairs and shorthairs... this is my advice if your thinking about getting a pup..... socialize with many dogs and many people. I had 8 pudle pointers at one time and loved that breed, German hunting dogs are awesome hunters and are very focused. that's the good news. The reason I switched over to labs was because I got very tired of breaking up dog fights which get the people I hunted with very upset. German hunting dogs are moody about other dogs and other people just like/much like chessies. Each has a fierce possessive traits about game, protecting the roost, and protecting the owner. I loved the drive and point instinct in all my dogs, but while hunting with others, kept my dogs close to me while hunting, and kept people away from the ducks after they were back in the blind. Also, with any German hunting dog, plan on force fetch training.... they will eat a duck while you stand there yelling.... seen it many times!

Plan on strong tough obedience training....in other words, if that dog is more worried about you than he is about the dog next to him that he doesn't know, your hunt will be very peaceful.

Funny... I have always had German bird dogs. Have had wirehairs, shorthairs and Kurzhaars... never have had any issues at all with fights in the field. Had two males that didn't get along at home when (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) were in season. Curious what made you come to that conclusion. A good bird dog puts birds first and everything else aside.

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 10/24/18 06:08 AM

Agreed. One of the most aggressive dogs i ever owned was a Lab . Especially around other dogs.
Posted By: DTOM

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 10/24/18 04:52 PM

I've owned and hunted several Drahts and a few NAVHDA German Wirehairs. With a DD you are paying for all the selections, culling and testing done to the dogs in the generations before yours. You can not breed without the breed wardens approval. In my opinion, having owned both, is that the VDD program sets you up to get a dog that is very consistent to the breed. Does that make an individual dog a better hunter?... I dont think so.

I now hunt FDSB English Setters. Less drama. Less sharpness. Less worries about encountering other hunters dogs while out hunting.
Posted By: DTOM

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 10/24/18 05:01 PM

The ones I've owned never really looked for a fight...but would sure end one if others started it. I find that unacceptable now but thought nothing of it a few decades ago. They also had a great memory and seemed to hold a grudge against anything they thought had wrong them. Almost all of mine had that trait. I had a female in the 90's that was knocked off the tailgate by a Chessy when she was young and never forgot about it and hated Chessies from that point on until she passed.

I'm sure it's not all DD's but certain lines are definitely known for being over protective and occasionally dog aggressive. Just like the Jagds I've owned...some sweet as tea...some very aggressive. Especially if you got "old world" lines from Europe.
Posted By: DuxDawg

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 10/24/18 09:48 PM

Congrats MAArcher!

ScottW: I have a K vom Kennedy as my current draht and had a "D" before her.

Well said AaronProffit and a few others who actually understand drahts.

If the dog doesn't listen, needs frequent corrections, crunches game, fights other dogs, etc... 99% of the time it is the ***OWNER'S*** fault. No, drahts are not for everyone. You have to know dogs and spend the time. Else you'll have nothing but frustration. German breeds are meant to have enough independence to get the job done on their own and just enough cooperation to work with you. Versatiles out do all other breeds on EACH task. Like having hound, pointer, retriever, terrier, herding and guard dogs... but with only the food and poop of one dog.

For those looking for a dog to do literally everything and ALL of it at the HIGHEST level, nothing else comes close to a "Do it all Draht".
Posted By: Coyote Clayton

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 10/24/18 10:42 PM

Best versatile dog I ever spent time with. Trained one. Super smart. Wouldn't fight unless a retrieve was being contested. I was training a chessy at same time. They duked it out in the water over a pigeon. I swore the chessy was gonna drown him. Both were supreme upland and water fowl dogs. We would take the DD trapping and he would carry the coons to the truck for you. I've raised and trained Brittanies for 26 years. Never had a nipper or biter. It's not tolerated towards me or anyone else.

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 07/26/22 02:57 PM

Was just revisiting this thread and thought I'd ad some more pics
Fight with a muskrat
[Linked Image]
The result of an epic evening of coyote hunting that ended by following an amped up Draht into chest high cat tails with a flashlight and a 22 pistol to finish off the second one
[Linked Image]
Next day recovery for a friend
[Linked Image]
Howlin' just for fun
[Linked Image]
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 07/26/22 03:08 PM

Good looking dog, I'm glad you are enjoying him!

I was fortunate to watch the first ever Drahthaar obtain his Hunting Retriever Club finished title this past spring up in VA. He absolutely hammered the test.

I have a buddy that has two of them. He is a big bird dog man and also has a French Brittany, a couple English Setters, and a couple GSP's.

The Drahthaar is the only dog out of all of those that can go to the duck blind and the quail field.

That being said, I have yet to see a Drahthaar that can challenge a field bred lab when it comes to duck hunting. And that includes the one I saw get his finished title. He was done swimming for the day after that short test

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 07/26/22 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by coondagger2
That being said, I have yet to see a Drahthaar that can challenge a field bred lab when it comes to duck hunting. And that includes the one I saw get his finished title. He was done swimming for the day after that short test

I watch my Draht swim with other dogs and he looks like he's always just about to go under. I think its just that they are so densely muscled and without the coat of lab, they don't float that well. I bet in cool weather with a neoprene jacket to add buoyancy and warmth a Draht would compare much better.

If pointing quail and retrieving ducks are the jobs, I doubt you could find a better dog for it than a GSP out of Merrymeeting Kennels in Brunswick, Maine. My Annie was a better dog than I ever could have imagined and certainly better than I deserved. RIP sweet girl.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 07/26/22 04:28 PM

Can’t believe I just read this thread!

I’ve never owned or been around a Draht, but they sound like an hunters dream dog.

I’ve owned Labs and they have a special place in my heart.

I’ve hunted over Brittany’s and they were all the most gentle dogs I’ve ever seen. In fact, they were the only quail dogs I’ve ever seen that rode in the front of the truck with the hunters, lol.

The plantation recently acquired a GSP and didn’t know how it would compete with pointers while hunting off horseback…always associated them with walking type hunting. Not only did that GSP compete, he was Top dog on points at the end of season. Now the plantation is looking to add more to the kennels.

I have never been bit or threatened by any upland or waterfowl dog. In fact, I even have a few at the kennels that won’t enter their kennels until you give them a good scratching and rub down, lol.

The cockers that are used for retrieving are basically house pets, but perform flawlessly.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 07/26/22 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by white17
Originally Posted by midlander

I have hunted with two different Brits. Both were very affectionate. Only one was smart. I suspect it's how they are raised as to whether they are nippers

I've had two. Both were affectionate and great pheasant and grouse dogs. Problem with one was when you let him out of the truck on a pheasant hunt for him it was, "See ya later!" And he was gone. He was great at flushing pheasant 100 yards away.

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 07/26/22 07:49 PM

As has been said before most training (or not training) issues are the result of the owners poor response to a situation. This applies not only to versatile dogs but most breeds.

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 09/06/22 03:37 AM

I can now say if you want a good dog to track a wounded black bear into a thick swamp at night, a Draht's a good choice. Wes squared up between me and the bear when he came after us and let him know he'd have to get through him before he got to me! Startled the bear long enough for me to put a final round into him. He went down in some thick brush and grass so we evacuated and went back in the morning to get him out. We found him right where we left him.

Was a great track with the dog doing a real good job of unraveling the trail that was criss crossed with old bear scent and the added distractions of lots of deer and coon tracks. We probably tracked a good two miles before ending back up not 300 yards from where I first shot him (bad shot, too far forward).

Not a big bear, dressed 120lbs, but its my first and had a good time with the dog getting it done. Pretty fur, going to get him tanned and make a blanket.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 09/06/22 11:50 AM

I am a novice when it comes to training a dog to hunt & retrieve game . I have had a few dogs that where good enough hunters that i was able to find and kill more game. because of the dog .One thing I read about the subject some time ago is "There are no such things as bad dogs just bad owners ."Some dogs learn quicker than others .Some are more independent Others are more eager to please .The trick is to figure out what makes your dog .click .In my situation my dog is very eager to please When I first got her home at 6 weeks I spent hours a day just socializing with her Just talking to her and rubbing her forehead .If she would misbehave I would say Bad Dog and put her in her crate and leave her by herself for a while She learned that she did not want to be by herself .Now in order to get her to stop doing something I don't want her to do all I need to do is say Bad Dog .

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 09/06/22 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by MAArcher
I can now say if you want a good dog to track a wounded black bear into a thick swamp at night, a Draht's a good choice. Wes squared up between me and the bear when he came after us and let him know he'd have to get through him before he got to me! Startled the bear long enough for me to put a final round into him. He went down in some thick brush and grass so we evacuated and went back in the morning to get him out. We found him right where we left him.

Was a great track with the dog doing a real good job of unraveling the trail that was criss crossed with old bear scent and the added distractions of lots of deer and coon tracks. We probably tracked a good two miles before ending back up not 300 yards from where I first shot him (bad shot, too far forward).

Not a big bear, dressed 120lbs, but its my first and had a good time with the dog getting it done. Pretty fur, going to get him tanned and make a blanket.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice bear Great story on your hunt.
Posted By: Dstone1992

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 09/06/22 12:56 PM

I have dk's. Always wanted a DD but I'm not sure I would want to deal with the burrs on one. They are very neat digs though

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 09/06/22 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dstone1992
I have dk's. Always wanted a DD but I'm not sure I would want to deal with the burrs on one. They are very neat digs though

Ya, pulling burrs out of the beard is little bit of pain in the (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman), no doubt.

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 09/06/22 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by MAArcher

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Awesome
Posted By: Posco

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 09/06/22 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Yes sir
Originally Posted by Aaron Proffitt

kind of bad when a guy shares his opinion in a respectful way and someone reacts like that. I've hunted with only a couple and from what I've seen that would of been my opinion before I learn it was such BS.

I don't buy a Corvette with the intention of hauling lumber, they're not made for that. I don't want my grouse dog running rabbit or bloodtrailing deer, I want him pointing birds. I don't even care if it retrieves.

I've hunted over a lot of dogs over the years and have seen a lot of breeds. That's what I base my opinion on.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 09/06/22 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Aaron Proffitt
Originally Posted by Posco

No, it's not. While I totally understand why many people go with the versatile breeds, and they are the right fit for many people; I've never seen them be able to compare with the specialized breeds at the thing that specialized breed is bred for. As you state in your next post, many people don't have the room for a kennel full of different dogs for different tasks, and frankly, even if they have the room, if they have a bunch of dogs for different tasks, none of those dogs are going to get enough exposure and experience to excell at their task, because there simply isn't enough time in most peoples schedule to to train and work four or five different dogs on four or five different tasks. Heck, most people don't spend enough time training and working with one dog on one task for the dog to excell. This is why the versatile breeds are popular and why they are the right fit for many people.

None of which negates the fact that they don't performed specific specialized tasks nearly as well as specialized breeds do.

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 09/06/22 06:00 PM

"The ones I've seen do all things okay but nothing really well."

"None of which negates the fact that they don't performed specific specialized tasks nearly as well as specialized breeds do."

Neither of these statements are reflective of what's available from todays versatile breeds that come from kennels that breed and train under the German systems or NAVHDA. If you start there, you don't have to look to far to find a versatile breed who will point with the best of English pointers today and rival the best of labs at the duck pond tomorrow. There's a lot of variation within all breeds and it would be easy to find one dog better than another, but if we're talking about dogs operating at the highest levels, the gap between versatile's and specialist breeds is actually pretty narrow. I don't know what's available to you in Idaho, but if you were in New England I'd direct you to Merrymeeting Kennels in Brunswick, Maine or On Point Kennel in Deerfield, NH. You could go visit and watch their GSP's lock up like statues on grouse one day, then take hand signals retrieving sea ducks from the frozen shores of the Atlantic the next and track down a wounded big game animal the day after that, and do every task not only "really well" or "nearly as well" but "exceptionally well."

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 09/06/22 06:07 PM

[/quote]
I don't buy a Corvette with the intention of hauling lumber, they're not made for that. I don't want my grouse dog running rabbit or bloodtrailing deer, I want him pointing birds. I don't even care if it retrieves.

I've hunted over a lot of dogs over the years and have seen a lot of breeds. That's what I base my opinion on. [/quote]

You're missing out. Bird hunting over a dog that can point with the best of them and is a tenacious retriever is just a joy to hunt behind. Who wants to crawl under a tangled blowdown to retrieve a bird when your dog should do it? And with a little training you can "trash break" a dog from messing with non-target species, but if chasing rabbits is really bothersome to someone, its probably the most legitimate reason to avoid a versatile breed, trash breaking just adds more work that you may not have to deal with if you start with a different breed. But I love rabbit pot pie as much as I do grouse pot pie, so if I can add a limit of rabbit to my limit of grouse, that's no down side for me there!

Re: Anyone hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar? - 09/06/22 06:39 PM

I agree completely that hunting any kind of game is more fun that not having a dog .You wll get more chances at game and have fewer cripples get away As far as what kind it is a personal preference Some years ago I was at a youth field day event here in PA It is an all day event where kids ages 8 to 14 can go and be exposed to all types of hunting trapping fish and different types of methods such as archery Iwas there all day with my pure breed flushing hunting dog and at some point a lady stopped and was talking to me about my dog She wanted to know if it was a pure breed .And I said yes it was and she spent the next 30 minutes telling me how terrible it was of me to get a pure breed dog She had rescue dogs and anyone that did not should be ashamed of themselves according to her way of thinking .I say get what you like and be happy with it so long as you have made a fair effort to train it to hunt with and for you .
© 2024 Trapperman Forums