Home

MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND

Posted By: BIRDOGS

MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/13/18 03:33 AM

Hey.... been talking about this for a long long time, but I retire soon and it really does look like we're gonna be wheels up soon.
Anybody on here from the Missoula area? can help with a few questions about elk, trapping, ect ect???
I need somebody that really knows the area and knows the state land well!!!!! just some help on where I should drop anchor and land for good!!! please!!
Posted By: Sharon

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/13/18 03:44 AM

I knew you would take out at some point to here !

Good on you for your planning and diligence !

Just make sure the weather is much nicer for travel than now .

There are a decent amount out here who know that area who will gladly help and be happy with you.

Im sure you have been researching places you'd like to look into in staying, too.

All the best to you and yours !

Happiness attained- and its been worth every mile ...... cool
Posted By: red mt

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/13/18 03:59 AM

Birddogs,
There are better but I am close Elk, not problem everywhere access not so happy except public ground and block mangement.
Trapping get ready for a rude experience, lots and lots of driving to catch the same amount of fur as you guys catch on 40acres.
Pm if you like I will try ,
myself I am moving east a ways.
Oh forgot poverty with a view
Posted By: cmcf

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/13/18 04:09 AM

I prefer Helena lived there eight years. Missoula gets a lot of fog. Foul smells from the paper mill just east of town Milltown probably grown together by now. Lincoln is nice it's on 200 between Missoula and Great Falls. About eight miles west of where the feds caught the Unabomber ha ha
Clark's fork and the little blackfoot are good fishing get yourself a Gazzeteier for the state. It is a book of maps for the entire state. Shows state, forest, blm, and private and roads down to trails.
Pretty good elk hunting around Avon junction, hiway 12 between Missoula and Helena. FS around Rimini is good hunting for elk
It is a very big state, would be a fair size book all the places I've hunted and fished there but it has been twenty years and a lot has changed. A lot of Californians have moved in up by Kallispell and Whitefish. Lot of millionaires a lot of landlocked public land. Good luck and leave the east coast ways behind, the natives are not fond of easterners and west coast
liberals. The people that have grown up there or been there a long time are down to earth and very good people. A lot of the late comers not so much. Have fun!
Posted By: Medlaketrap

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/13/18 04:40 AM

depends on what "montana" you're looking for... Missoula is the mountains and pretty scenery, nice trout streams close by..... its too many people in my opinion.... and is the liberal armpit of the state. If you're looking for the montana i like... great scenery, with NO MOUNTAINS... more critters to trap per square mile than the mountains... better coyotes than the mountains... better hunting than the crowded overpopulated western half of montana. .... the "do what ever you want because no one cares montana... " you should move to the eastern half... The HI Line is impossible to beat!! and the people here are super nice .... they'll pat you on the back for trapping... not stab you in the back

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/13/18 04:51 AM

;this well put!!!!!!!
Posted By: Calvin

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/13/18 05:02 AM

I "think" it was Missoula I stopped in to get fuel one day. Looked like a earth pig convention going on. They just allow these smelly turds to loiter around the city smelling things up. We get a bunch of them around here in the summers from out that way. By the looks of it, they have an earth pig assembly plant there in Missoula. Or did I get my cities mixed up?

Think I'd head to Wyoming instead, personally.
Posted By: elktrack

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/13/18 05:36 AM

It's sad but true, Missoula is a libtard hotbed. Neat country around there but definitely not "user friendly" for trapping. Lot's of good places to live in Montana still just gotta get further from the bigger towns. Don't be discouraged about it but you definitely need to do some looking around before you put down roots. The best places for hunting and trapping opportunities aren't prosperous areas which may not be an issue if you're bringing your own money with you.

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/13/18 05:50 AM

No Calvin you are right on the money
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/13/18 06:05 AM

Missoula is home of the University of Montana. Also home of Footloose Montana. Very much anti-trapping, anti-hunting, etc.

Montana is a BIG state. Lots of variety. Spend some time driving around and see what sort of landscape you want to live in.
Posted By: jarentz

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/13/18 12:17 PM

I lived in Big Timber in the 70s before the new interstate was put in! It was all ranch land back
then,also some of the best down to earth folks you could meet.I worked on different ranches and had a lot of land to hunt ,fish or trap on. The last time I was through there it sure did change.
One thing for sure if your going to move far from the towns you better be able to take care of yourself in winter!
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/13/18 12:45 PM

People from the east coast as well as the left coast have changed the way things are in NM CO WY and MT. Lots of people ain't happy about it. You been chasing outlaws in urban sprawl/city's for awhile. Try rural life instead. May take a few months to get accepted but trappers and hunters are their kind of people. Be freindly and helpful. Don't support things like zoning, reduction of livestock grazing on BLM, school consolidation, or any other changes to the way they live. You will make friends of the best kind of people that will be there for you when you need them.
Posted By: merganser

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/13/18 03:21 PM

Also one thing to consider, what kind of weather you want? It varies ALOT throughout the state. West side gets a lot more moisture, ie. snow and rain. East side not near as much. If you like wind, the middle of the state is what you want, from east side of Glacier Park, down to Yellowstone, through Great Falls, Harlowtown and Big Timber to Livingston. Lots of wind, all the time. If you're not used to it, may get to you after awhile. If you don't like feeling closed in, avoid the western valleys in winter, lots of overcast days and fog, can get to you.
I've lived in Libby, Missoula, Plains, Billings and now Bridger, so I've seen/lived a lot of it. Just another thing to consider before planting roots.
Elk hunting can be found in varying amounts everywhere except the NE corner. More public land in the western half. Trapping will help you gain access to private land if you trap coon, coyote and beaver.
Posted By: Cathouse Jim

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/13/18 03:29 PM

BIRDOGS - Welcome to Missoula, even though you haven't moved yet. a fellow trapper and hunter would be an asset there.

Fact is as a fellow Montanan we should encourage trappers and hunters from back East who long for the west to move to Missoula. Perhaps we could reclaim Missoula back from the Hippies and their unleashed granola eating dogs. Bring back the hunting and fishing stores again.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/13/18 03:31 PM

Originally Posted By: danny clifton
People from the east coast as well as the left coast have changed the way things are in NM CO WY and MT. Lots of people ain't happy about it. You been chasing outlaws in urban sprawl/city's for awhile. Try rural life instead. May take a few months to get accepted but trappers and hunters are their kind of people. Be freindly and helpful. Don't support things like zoning, reduction of livestock grazing on BLM, school consolidation, or any other changes to the way they live. You will make friends of the best kind of people that will be there for you when you need them.
well put, best of luck to you.
Posted By: snowy

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/13/18 03:37 PM

I wouldn't recommend Missoula. I would recommend western Montana and more specific SE part. As for wind Montana is a windy SOB. People say the wind does blow in Montana are lying. LOL
Posted By: bbasher

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/13/18 03:41 PM

You should take a good hard look at Jordan or circle. Maybe Glendive if you want to live in a big city.
Posted By: mttrapperguy

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/13/18 04:33 PM

As for state land, most of it is locked by surrounding private land and is impossible to access without permission from private land owners.

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/13/18 04:47 PM

Everyone has their preferences, and thats great.

As well as yourself, and those with you.

What you, and everyone with you wants, is really bottom line, and is to be respected.

As for down to earth people, they are all over the state. The majority that I know in the western regions are from generations of loggers, outfitters, hunters, and trappers. Or those who have moved here and love the lifestyle as well. They too, do what they want. Shoot rifles off the back porch . Ride a horse for miles without coming into a town. And even the towns, riding right down the middle of main street and have people who know and don't know you stop and wave.

As for wind, I moved west of the divide to get away from wind. There is not often wind in the NW areas where I am. Oh theres micro climates , according to river, lake and mountain range positions that are more prone to wind - but not the kind that takes the life out of you all the time. Wind is exhausting to me. So I like quiet places-with bouts of storms moving through , with wind- but by far, quiet and still.

There are beautiful places everywhere - I prefer mountains. The western parts are not overpopulated . Certain spots are more in population, just like anywhere in the world....but there are vast stretches of woodland between the small towns that dot the western area.

As Nancy stated, MT is a vast state....and if your base point is Missoula, your could start there, and see what other areas you might like to explore.

You also have anyone else with you in their preferences, too. Its up to time and discussion- and a lot of research. A place someone here suggests may be misery for them.....and that wont do.

Nothing is written in stone, and you can go where everyone is happy , including yourself.

There are great down to earth people here as well as east of the divide- indeed- every state -anywhere- has its people with opposite views- positive or negative- all kinds. Sure there are areas where anti views are more prevalent - but thats all over, everywhere in any state, even eastern MT in places. There are also many more areas- small towns and rural, that are nice to live around , and who appreciate the outdoors life as you do.

It all comes down to whom one associates with in everyday life.

Painting with too broad a brush in generalized terms, always blurs the fine details that can be appreciated..

I would say first see what areas you and yours want- look into that first-what you need to live- how far from medical or other services you can be - and do some touring.

The final decision is of course, yours. If you and yours find you like any given area, then so be it. All my best in happiness of attaining your goal . Welcome to the west !

There is an old story I have liked....and here it is:

A traveler came upon an old farmer hoeing in his field beside the road. Eager to rest his feet, the wanderer hailed the countryman, who seemed happy enough to straighten his back and talk for a moment.

"What sort of people live in the next town?" asked the stranger.

"What were the people like where you've come from?" replied the farmer.

"They were a bad lot. Troublemakers all, and lazy too. The most selfish people in the world, and not a one of them to be trusted. I'm happy to be leaving the scoundrels."

"Is that so?" replied the old farmer. "Well, I'm afraid that you'll find the same sort in the next town.

Disappointed, the traveler trudged on his way, and the farmer returned to his work.

Some time later another stranger, coming from the same direction, hailed the farmer, and they stopped to talk. "What sort of people live in the next town?" he asked.

"What were the people like where you've come from?" replied the farmer once again.

"They were the best people in the world. Hard working, honest, and friendly. I'm sorry to be leaving them."

"Fear not," said the farmer. "You'll find the same sort in the next town."
Posted By: dgarrett

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/13/18 05:04 PM

With a user name as BirdDogs you might consider eastern Montana if thats is what you are into... Montana has some world class bird hunting around Sidney... and trapping would be great to. I lived in that worthless Missoula for 10 years... saw it go from a timber/logging town to a complete left wing bunnyhugger village...Seems anywhere they state runs and Idiot factory those hippies take over... I believe out of state parents are so embarrassed at their worthless hippy children they send them far away to college... And these scum just never go back home..Eastern Montana is plains and western montana is mountains... But if I was a trapper but really into bird dogs I would have to pick eastern Montana

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/13/18 05:37 PM

Originally Posted By: dgarrett
With a user name as BirdDogs you might consider eastern Montana if thats is what you are into... Montana has some world class bird hunting around Sidney... and trapping would be great to. I lived in that worthless Missoula for 10 years... saw it go from a timber/logging town to a complete left wing bunnyhugger village...Seems anywhere they state runs and Idiot factory those hippies take over... I believe out of state parents are so embarrassed at their worthless hippy children they send them far away to college... And these scum just never go back home..Eastern Montana is plains and western montana is mountains... But if I was a trapper but really into bird dogs I would have to pick eastern Montana

Well put and nicely I might add well done

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/13/18 06:18 PM

OK.... so here's the skinny! I'm retiring in 3 weeks so I don't need to search for work. Buuuuuut! momma is a veterinarian and needs a small animal clinic to work, and it appears, the schools near Missoula seem to score well on tests.

I get the liberal thing, I've been living and working inside the Washington dc beltway for a long time, to be honest, they don't bother me at all. I'm not politically correct, don't thrive to be and it wont effect me or my children IMHO.

We aren't even looking at homes in Missoula, just about 30 to 45 miles from so momma can get to work. The schools, Hellgate, sentinel, or big sky all seem to be good schools that prep their students for college.

I need space, momma knows that, and she is only looking at homes that I will "fit in"..... It appears, imho, 45 minutes from Missoula are some really nice chunks of country, especially east from Missoula.

Not sure about the trapping?
Posted By: Rhino7

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/13/18 06:25 PM

Originally Posted By: bbasher
You should take a good hard look at Jordan or circle. Maybe Glendive if you want to live in a big city.

At least you would have the CMR refuge to hunt a decent amount of Block Management to hunt around there. Not many people there, and a long ways to Miles city for groceries. Although, you dont want to be Government employee or probably even a former Government employee....they werent real nice about that.
Posted By: USMC47 🦫

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/13/18 06:27 PM

I warned ya. Lol.
Posted By: Jackdale

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/13/18 08:16 PM

Missoula Bozeman and billings are the worst places to live in my opinion. Great falls might be a decent place to look, it is close to a couple reservations and has a air base though. Another thing to think about is driving 30miles in the winter out here can be rough. My wife hates driving to work after winter storms.
Posted By: Medlaketrap

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/13/18 10:18 PM

the vet in my area is 73 years old and trying to retire... might be an opportunity there
Posted By: RiversNorth13

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/13/18 10:44 PM

Originally Posted By: cmcf
Lincoln is nice it's on 200 between Missoula and Great Falls. About eight miles west of where the feds caught the Unabomber ha ha
Clark's fork and the little blackfoot are good fishing get yourself a Gazzeteier for the state.

I've hunted many parts of the state , hunted lions around Lincoln which I really enjoyed the area , also seen the Unabombers place while hunting .

Many above gave good advice , I would travel the state for a few months before I would put roots down .
Good Luck .

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/14/18 11:27 PM

Sharon >>> that story has a lot of truth to it. You make life what you want to make it good and bad everywhere.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/15/18 12:44 AM

Glad you are getting info of OTHER towns......Missoula is ruined by Libs.
Posted By: cmcf

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/15/18 01:24 AM

I'll second RiversNorth13. Montana is a very large state with a wide variety of topography and climates. Wind like you wouldn't believe on the HiLine and the eastern prairie. Heavy snowfall in the western mountains. Excellent sharptail,Hungarian partridge and a few pheasants in the grass lands. Excellent Mulley hunting in the Missouri breaks
Elk are in just about every mountain range antelope on the prairies. Like Rivers said start in April and take the grand tour for a month and talk to the locals. Towns to visit, some anyway, Lincoln, Anaconda, Dillon, Deerlodge, Sealy lake, Livingston, Lewiston, Bozeman & Bellgrade Townsend to name a few. The East coast is made up of small states, primarily, and you could put a few of those states in Montana and still have a lot of miles left over. Just like those eastern states have widely varying climate,topography and people so does the state of Montana. The essence of the state is in the smaller towns not the cities. And even Billings and Great Falls put together wouldn't equal Baltimore for the number of people or low life's, although I personally wouldn't care to live in either. Picking a place to put down roots by looking at a map and comparing equivalency scores seems risky to me. But in the end it's your decision as Sharon said. But think about this, there has been several people on this thread that have said Missoula is a poor choice especially if you don't have to work. And one? That said Missoula is cool. Best of luck to you and I wish you well in wherever you settle. In my opinion any place in Montana is better than all the places in Md. Except maybe for rats.
Posted By: board stretcher

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/15/18 01:30 AM

have you looked in to st. regis area?

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/15/18 10:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Jackdale
Missoula Bozeman and billings are the worst places to live in my opinion. Great falls might be a decent place to look, it is close to a couple reservations and has a air base though. Another thing to think about is driving 30miles in the winter out here can be rough. My wife hates driving to work after winter storms.

hummmmmmm...... I get that. Momma isn't gonna be happy about that but 30 miles from Missoula I can get space, we can get more house for the $, and the kids can still get a decent school with soccer.

I understand about Bozeman, Missoula being the libtard nests, but I'm in the socialist state of Maryland near DC. Over educated idiots is what I live around! If 2 of you moved into my neighborhood, I would have doubled who I can talk politics to!

ANYWHERE IN MONTANA, IS A THOUSAND TIMES BETTER THAN HERE, EASILY!!!! LOL

I have elk hunted two years in the Townsend area, love it there best, but I have younger children and a wife that works on small animals, not donkeys, cows and horses. Really small towns don't support that work. And to be honest, Bozeman is way to expensive for us to get a good home unless we head way outside where she could get to work on a snowy day. These all limit my choices.

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/15/18 10:27 AM

Originally Posted By: board stretcher
have you looked in to st. regis area?

yes. awesome area, an hour, 71 miles from Missoula is a bit much.

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/15/18 10:32 AM

I'll second RiversNorth13. Montana is a very large state with a wide variety of topography and climates. Wind like you wouldn't believe on the HiLine and the eastern prairie. Heavy snowfall in the western mountains. Excellent sharptail,Hungarian partridge and a few pheasants in the grass lands. Excellent Mulley hunting in the Missouri breaks
Elk are in just about every mountain range antelope on the prairies. Like Rivers said start in April and take the grand tour for a month and talk to the locals. Towns to visit, some anyway, Lincoln, Anaconda, Dillon, Deerlodge, Sealy lake, Livingston, Lewiston, Bozeman & Bellgrade Townsend to name a few. The East coast is made up of small states, primarily, and you could put a few of those states in Montana and still have a lot of miles left over. Just like those eastern states have widely varying climate,topography and people so does the state of Montana. The essence of the state is in the smaller towns not the cities. And even Billings and Great Falls put together wouldn't equal Baltimore for the number of people or low life's, although I personally wouldn't care to live in either. Picking a place to put down roots by looking at a map and comparing equivalency scores seems risky to me. But in the end it's your decision as Sharon said. But think about this, there has been several people on this thread that have said Missoula is a poor choice especially if you don't have to work. And one? That said Missoula is cool. Best of luck to you and I wish you well in wherever you settle. In my opinion any place in Montana is better than all the places in Md. Except maybe for rats.

BINGO! LOL And I have already trapped enough rats to quit that!
Missoula is maybe a poor choice, but my wife made that call and I'm going to adjust to keep her happy. So I told her I'm buying a dispensary for my retirement gig! wink

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/15/18 12:39 PM

Originally Posted By: BIRDOGS

BINGO! LOL And I have already trapped enough rats to quit that!
Missoula is maybe a poor choice, but my wife made that call and I'm going to adjust to keep her happy. So I told her I'm buying a dispensary for my retirement gig! wink

You should do a great business with your Dispensary in that area. LOL
You have so much federal land there you can go get lost each day. Good Luck let us know how things go.
Posted By: white17

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/15/18 03:20 PM

Get her a small place in Missoula and get yourself a nice place in Libby with the kids !! Simple !
Posted By: trapper les

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/15/18 03:35 PM

The last time I was coming through MT I turned north on 200 to Great Falls. That's a pretty stretch of country through there. Seems like some of them towns are ghost townish like...That's where I'd disappear into . Libby was nice country too, but my cousin from WA not far from there told me folks go there mainly to die.
Posted By: Osky

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/15/18 03:43 PM

Originally Posted By: white17
Get her a small place in Missoula and get yourself a nice place in Libby with the kids !! Simple !

Sheesh, how much does a guy want a wife around anyhow?

Libby is a good place to escape.

Osky

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/15/18 03:50 PM

A great place ! Has among the best of everything cool
Posted By: Sac Creek

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/15/18 04:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Sharon

A great place ! Has among the best of everything cool

I stayed a couple nights in Libby at the RV park in town. Just passing through, could have stayed a couple years.
Posted By: BANGTAIL

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/15/18 04:32 PM

Yet another Missoula bashing thread on this website..... Gimme a call if YOU DECIDE to come here and I will show you around. The Missoula bashing by other Montanan Trappers is why I no longer support the MTA. Seems Montana Trappers would cut off their nose to spite their face. FWIW the smartest President the MTA has had was educated at that "Libtard University" in Missoula, I wonder where they'd be if he went to school somewhere else. I am not a liberal or anti and neither are any of my friends. I for one would be happy to see another good guy in town. I'm with Cathouse Jim on this one.
Mark
Posted By: Dirk

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/15/18 04:37 PM

Go to butte for St Patricks Day and you will never want to leave
Posted By: pcr2

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/15/18 05:02 PM

i'm lookin for the same exact place only about 60 degrees warmer.if i can't get cold enough here i can go to the son's in Minot ND.time for someplace warm for me to hang out as i start the second fifty years of my life.

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/16/18 08:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Dirk
Go to butte for St Patricks Day and you will never want to leave

I elk hunted 10 days in Townsend, I know your correct because I'm already sold! LOL
That being said, I have youngin's, and a wife that needs work. And that's not gonna happen there, I already tried.... I may have to go to Bozeman??? I'm actually happier with Missoula!
Posted By: Elkguy

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/16/18 11:31 AM

Missoula or Bozeman would be the last 2 places I would live here. We do alot of our shopping in Bozo and after about 3 hours my head is ready to explode.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/16/18 11:44 AM

Not in me to live in any city anywhere. So far as I can tell there isn't 10 cents difference in any of them.

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/16/18 11:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Elkguy
Missoula or Bozeman would be the last 2 places I would live here. We do alot of our shopping in Bozo and after about 3 hours my head is ready to explode.

I would chose Livingston and Townsend. elk wolves yotes galore..... momma is the one who is really giving this time, she doesn't want to leave a 200g job and land in a 70g job, but for me she is making this move! I told her flat out, "I will not die in a blue state"! I love our river here, duck, geese, otter galore. a 5g house on a 3.5 acres, splat dab on waterfront! she is making this move for me, because I have worked for 27.5 years in the hood chasing rats and herding cats. No joke, I can't complain about where we move, because she is doing this to keep together. She started crying last year and said she wasn't ready to leave, I told her she has a year to get ready, because I was moving with or without her. She knew at that point, it was time to get ready for a new home.

I even gave her the option to allow me to buy a small home 'off grid' to spend summer and fall for hunting season, she started crying again. She is giving up a lot, she is very very happy now. She knows I am not and has made up her mind to try to make me happy. I can give too, if she finds a home in Kalispell or Libby, or Timbuctoo Montana we are headed there. I have to make her happy also, and do anything I can do to make her adjustment better. she is looking at a place now......30 miles from Missoula.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/22933-Wapiti-Rd_Huson_MT_59846_M70297-91022
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/16/18 11:37 PM

I spent a few days in the Missoula area a couple years ago. My wife and sons and I camped along the Blackfoot. The fishing was good and the country is beautiful. I'd love to spend a year or two there to see if it'd suit me to live there.

I spent a week in the twin bridges are last summer. Lots of fishing in the area, beaver head, the Jefferson, the Ruby and not far from the madison. There was still snow high up, so we didn't get into the timber much and the flat ranch land doesn't do much for me.

We spent some time in some other parts, but for the short time we were there, the missoula area was our favorite.
If an area suits you, and you keep mostly to yourself, the politics of the locals shouldn't bother you much.

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/17/18 12:00 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
AMEN......

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/17/18 12:14 AM

I was in Missoula in November ..... it wasn't even cold! and it was super nice going into and coming from, both north and south. just gotta travel for the country a little ways, not unreasonable amounts of gas!!

I loved Bonner, and the Blackfoot! stunning
Posted By: MTtraps

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/17/18 12:14 AM

If that house will make your wife happy and you can do it finance wise, then by all means go for it. Happy wife , happy life and you got your butt in Montana. Moved here in '81 when I was 23. One of the only things I did back then, that I still think was a good idea was moving out here. It has changed a bunch in someways but there's still lots more reason to stay then go elsewhere.
Posted By: Jumperzee

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/17/18 12:22 AM

Birdogs, you'll do fine. I went to school there 25 years ago, and then lived there off and on for a while in the winters. Still go back 6-8 times a year for work and/or visiting buddies. The town has definitely changed a lot (who remembers Karl Tyler being the only thing on north Reserve!?!?) but there's plenty of like minded folks to make up for the liberals and bunnyhuggers. Probably be a huge improvement to what you're used to (I grew up in Philly but fled once I reached the age of reason!). A lot to do there regardless of the season and enough scenery to last the rest of your life. One thing not mentioned is that the valley WILL be very smoky in the summer, compliments of all our ID fires blowing that way. Sweet revenge for the tree huggers who oppose timber sales, heh-heh. East of town isn't as bad since the wind tends to scour out the smoke a little more. Clinton and Rock Creek are nicer areas and still easily commutable. Enjoy your journey!
Posted By: twild

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/17/18 12:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Elkguy

I would chose Livingston and Townsend. elk wolves yotes galore..... momma is the one who is really giving this time, she doesn't want to leave a 200g job and land in a 70g job, but for me she is making this move! I told her flat out, "I will not die in a blue state"! I love our river here, duck, geese, otter galore. a 5g house on a 3.5 acres, splat dab on waterfront! she is making this move for me, because I have worked for 27.5 years in the hood chasing rats and herding cats. No joke, I can't complain about where we move, because she is doing this to keep together. She started crying last year and said she wasn't ready to leave, I told her she has a year to get ready, because I was moving with or without her. She knew at that point, it was time to get ready for a new home.

I even gave her the option to allow me to buy a small home 'off grid' to spend summer and fall for hunting season, she started crying again. She is giving up a lot, she is very very happy now. She knows I am not and has made up her mind to try to make me happy. I can give too, if she finds a home in Kalispell or Libby, or Timbuctoo Montana we are headed there. I have to make her happy also, and do anything I can do to make her adjustment better. she is looking at a place now......30 miles from Missoula.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/22933-Wapiti-Rd_Huson_MT_59846_M70297-91022

Sounds like she is just giving in. If my wife was pullin in 200g ayear she would be staying put. How far from retirement is she? That is a lot of money to be giving up for your dream. Maybe she would reconsider letting you move out and for afew years coming out to visit and get used to the idea. Just sounds like she is going to be miserable and then nobody is going to be happy and you might loose half your stuff. Heck even if she waited 3 yrs to come out that is almost 400,000 dollars difference. That's a lot of money. Wish you the best

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/17/18 12:56 AM

She is.... but she also knows I'm correct, if we don't relocate now our kids will forever consider Maryland home! she does NOT WANT THAT!!!!! She doesn't love it here and there is no strings attached! Heck with money! Have to love something and it's not all about money as we know, or none of idiots would be trapping! wink wink wink
Posted By: bad karma

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/17/18 01:12 AM

too far from the tideline for me Rob. Good luck though.
Posted By: DaveP

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/17/18 01:14 AM

Congrats!
Hope to get out of here in 2 or 3 years myself but heading to a warmer climate. Plus need my saltwater.

Shame as MD really does have it all and was a great place to growup. Mountains, ocean, and everything in between. Have caught tuna and sharks, then trapped fisher and bear hunted 4 or 5 hrs away.

Just too crowded these days. Have seen a lot of changes in my time.
My Dad turned 92 today.
Really cant believe the changes he has seen.

Best of luck. I'll keep an eye on the Patuxent for you!

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/17/18 01:26 AM

Originally Posted By: bad karma
too far from the tideline for me Rob. Good luck though.

oh don't be confused.....I grew up back when we would fill a 50 gallon barrel with rockfish and blues... I picked up blue bellies on the front of the boat with the long net, while my drunk dad and his buddy trolled across the bay. All those days are over. and this commie state of Md has gone to 'Hillary'ville'! done. I remember what it was well..... I still love the smell of salt water I promise, but I just can't see my kids being stuck here for the rest of their lives when there is such a big country here for us to love and enjoy! I know what your saying, God knows I do! my son caught a 450 pound blue marlin last summer brother! ya can't get that in Montana! But Maryland also comes with a price. After I set up, bring your grumpy tail out and see me! we will run a wolf line and you can tell me how crab cakes taste wink wink shocked
Posted By: bad karma

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/17/18 01:29 AM

I would be up for wolf killing...

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/17/18 01:42 AM

Originally Posted By: DaveP
Congrats!
Hope to get out of here in 2 or 3 years myself but heading to a warmer climate. Plus need my saltwater.

Shame as MD really does have it all and was a great place to growup. Mountains, ocean, and everything in between. Have caught tuna and sharks, then trapped fisher and bear hunted 4 or 5 hrs away.

Just too crowded these days. Have seen a lot of changes in my time.
My Dad turned 92 today.
Really cant believe the changes he has seen.

Best of luck. I'll keep an eye on the Patuxent for you!

part of me will always be here..... had a lot of fun on this riva! Maryland isn't just to crowded, it's too expensive! I need to get way far away from this for retirement! chase elk and mulies, wolves, lions, and bobcats!

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/17/18 02:07 AM

Originally Posted By: bad karma
I would be up for wolf killing...

oh.... I talked to bangtail for a long time, they have a wolf problem in that part! amazing, I'm bubbling about it! can't wait! And you can come and try that special Go-Go juice lure you fart up! wink shocked smile

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/17/18 02:47 AM

I grew up in south Florida, my father had trawlers, and I was in the ocean snorkeling, diving, swimming all the time. I like water but love the big mountains way more.

Just for interest, there are no cities in Montana- a few bigger towns, yes, but not cities. And much territory in woods and wilderness to explore.

A few here have mentioned a small town that is near and dear to my heart....it is out of the way, remote in remarkable privacy, beautiful, tremendous mountain ranges and much woodlands surrounding, and has everything the outdoors person wants, along with other practical amenities. Fun things and serious things in aiding to living well. Zim used to live in the area , and he loved it too- also saying it has everything a person needs and wants.

There are not a few towns like that all around the whole state .....just a matter of locating the area one wants , and what they need to be in closer proximity to. There are quite a few of them.

There are plusses and minuses to every place. The key to happiness is being where the plusses outweigh the minuses. As long as the main things that make everyday life happy and enjoyable are in place, in constancy , whatever minuses there are become doable. When the minuses equal, or outweigh the plusses-in big things and small, it is merely existing with misery and aggravation with too many things that annoy and inconvenience smooth happy living , on a day to day basis.

Life is too short....

When two people find that area with more plusses to enjoy, and the core of their happiness is being together, enjoying their journey of life hand in hand, that is their exquisite realm in goals achieved in a mighty way. That combination just cannot be beat.

There are many beautiful areas outside Missoula too- that are very commutable into town for school, work, and supplies. The town itself, to me-is not bad in getting around, finding what you need, and seeing all the goods and services that the place has to offer , from medical ,to building supplies - just about everything. And if you love BBQ , in a unique huge log cabin setting, with hunting, trapping, fishing themes in decor all inside the place, do go and experience Famous Dave's . smile

I think, once everyone is settled in, they all will enjoy their own aspects of the area, expand their interests as they learn of things to do , or other places in the state, or maybe another western state...and over time, attain goals and add to their happiness -talents, careers, new country, and friends.

In this hi tec age, no friends or family needs to be lost back in Maryland, either.

Thats what Skype, FT and phones are for.

Planes too. Who knows, in visiting everyone in Montana, one or more of them may get the western longing, too.

Life and love. Tis a mighty thing....

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/17/18 02:58 AM

Oh Sharon...... I'm drawn to the big sky country. I know money means a lot out there, but being happy is cheap if you know who you are, and where you need to be to enjoy life.

Montana is 'eye candy' in every direction for me. Sunrise, sun set, and just everything about it. The people seem to really make the state for me..... I'm so tired of these high pressure, "check out my portfolio" types..... just done with it.

Be honest, my mother passed a few years back and I feel no connection, or collusion with this area. my father sold the farm and moved to Delaware with his new wife, I'm happy for him if he's happy! but I now feel like it's time for me to turn the page and finish raising my kids in a nice place that I would be proud to say "I'm from!". You know where I'm going with this.... it's time for me. Life is short, make the best of it......Amen

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/17/18 03:17 AM

I understand just what you mean.

When I left Florida, all I had left there was my cousin.

Good job, friends , but when I turned my face to the western sun , I never looked back. I knew which way northwest was....

Im so glad I made that choice....for a very profound reason that I couldn't see , back then. And many other good reasons.

We never know what lovely surprises await us, until we take that chance - and head out of the box - think outside the box....

You and yours will be happy !
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/17/18 05:10 AM

Oh Sharon...... I'm drawn to the big sky country. I know money means a lot out there, but being happy is cheap if you know who you are, and where you need to be to enjoy life.

Montana is 'eye candy' in every direction for me. Sunrise, sun set, and just everything about it. The people seem to really make the state for me..... I'm so tired of these high pressure, "check out my portfolio" types..... just done with it.

Be honest, my mother passed a few years back and I feel no connection, or collusion with this area. my father sold the farm and moved to Delaware with his new wife, I'm happy for him if he's happy! but I now feel like it's time for me to turn the page and finish raising my kids in a nice place that I would be proud to say "I'm from!". You know where I'm going with this.... it's time for me. Life is short, make the best of it......Amen

My wife died last year, and like with the death of your mother, I felt I lost the connection with Pennsylvania the state I was living and born and raised in so I moved to Idaho. At Age 70, I still question the move but still am building a house and plan on staying. So go for it. However, the Rocky Mountains are changing. Every year, becoming more liberal. Although Montana is still a conservative, not long ago a democratic mayor in one of the larger Montana towns (can’t remember which one) wanted strict gun control laws. This would never have happened 25 years ago and as one resident said he would have been run out of town in the past yet alone get elected as mayor.
Posted By: elktrack

Re: MISSOULA MONTANA BOUND - 01/17/18 05:34 AM

Well Birdgogs, this has changed a bit from your original post asking about elk, trapping and state land around Missoula. The more I read through this it's obvious that stuff is secondary to you needing to get the heck out of the rat race and get out here where you can rehydrate your soul. You'll be fine no matter where you land out here I'm sure as you've obviously got your priorities right. Get the family out here and things will work out. The Hunting and trapping will work itself out. Keep us posted and hopefully we can link up over a cup of something when you get out this way. Your on the right track IMO
© 2024 Trapperman Forums