Home

weasel tanning source

Posted By: Otter34

weasel tanning source - 01/13/18 03:59 AM

I have a pile of weasel hides I would like to send out to get tanned. they have been fleshed, stretched and dried. we are looking to tan and hang up in our hunting shack. I have around 20 with more hopefully to come. I have been told over $20 per. I live in central mn. anyone have an affordable source I could Send them to for tanning. thanks for your advice
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: weasel tanning source - 01/13/18 04:06 AM

$20 for a weasel is rough! If you lived closer to me I’d tan them all for $100 Canadian. That’s about $78US
Posted By: tlguy

Re: weasel tanning source - 01/13/18 04:21 AM

You could send them to Sleepy Creek Tannery in Wellsburg, IA. Will cost you $11/weasel for up to 20, 21+ and the price drops to $10/each.

Sleepy Creek Tannery price list
Posted By: bfisch

Re: weasel tanning source - 01/13/18 04:22 AM

$20! Moyles will do them for about $6 apiece if you have over 20. You will have to pay shipping and be willing to wait. I don't know about shipping fur across into Canada but if you can it will be hard to beat Jurassic's offer even with the extra shipping cost. May also come back faster than a commercial tannery. smile
Posted By: beltrami trapper

Re: weasel tanning source - 01/13/18 05:03 AM

Ever think of trying to tan them yourself? They are probably the easiest skin to do at home. I dont think its worth paying someone else to tan weasels unless you are selling them by the hundreds
Posted By: elktrack

Re: weasel tanning source - 01/13/18 05:26 AM

Send them to moyles. I've tanned them myself and can't get them as bright white as Moyles gets them. There may be some wiz bang tanning solution / method out there that I should try but I'm done fiddling with home tanning weasels. Just send to Moyles and they send em back done right. Hope my opinion helps ya
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: weasel tanning source - 01/13/18 05:55 AM

I would do some serious research before shipping your ermine (or any fur beaver) across the border to Canada.

Licenses and permits are needed. And they aren't free. Yes, it is possible to just put them in an envelope, make up something for the customs tag and send them off. Folks do it all the time. BUT, if you get caught, you will lose the pelts plus get fined. Not worth the risk, IMO
Posted By: AJE

Re: weasel tanning source - 01/14/18 04:59 AM

Maybe try Spooner, Wi's Great Northern Fur.
Shipping costs might be favorable.
Posted By: Boco

Re: weasel tanning source - 01/14/18 05:06 AM

Tan them yourself,they are the easiest pelts to tan.Do one or two to get the hang of it then do the rest.Good market for tanned weasels,and good profit if you tan yourself.Take a bunch to any native pow wow,I guarantee you will sell them all.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums