Home

Old Fox set

Posted By: 20scout

Old Fox set - 01/14/18 01:05 AM

Twice this season I have had someone tell me of someone who used to make this fox set way back when and just rake in the fox. Further research proved to me that these were two different people but both were serious fox trappers locally and well known at the time. The set was similar what we know today as a hay set but the only difference was the use of three traps instead of two. Bait was placed around and in between the traps and then covered heavily with straw and then burned. The fire would sear the bait and leave large burn that would attract the fox along with eliminate any unwanted odors. One said his dad would uset one stake for all three traps while the other used drags and could catch multiple fox. Had given some serious thought about trying this but as dry as it was this fall and with my luck I would set the whole county on fire plus get fined for not having a burning permit! Anyone else heard of this set? Just kind of fun and interesting to me.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Old Fox set - 01/14/18 01:13 AM

Lol no I’ve never heard of it. But I think you’d get the same results without burning the hay set. Maybe even better.
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Old Fox set - 01/14/18 01:28 AM

An old timer up here told me of a set he liked : Rake up a pile of horse turds into a mound...bed a trap on top covered in crumbled horse turd...cover with straw or hay and light it on fire, concealing the trap so. That was one of his fox sets.
Posted By: Zach aka trapper

Re: Old Fox set - 01/14/18 01:59 AM

A very similar set is in Mr.dobbins sr s book flat sets and its variations but its done with one trap. I want to try it but was also worried about fires. I worried about the ashes in the fur will it stain?

Re: Old Fox set - 01/14/18 02:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Zach aka trapper
A very similar set is in Mr.dobbins sr s book flat sets and its variations but its done with one trap. I want to try it but was also worried about fires. I worried about the ashes in the fur will it stain?

So your worried it might turn a red fox into a grey?
Posted By: Zach aka trapper

Re: Old Fox set - 01/14/18 02:27 AM

Lol I duno just a thought sometimes I have to many of thoes
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Old Fox set - 01/14/18 02:44 AM

I have heard of it, it is one of those listed in several of the old fox trapping books put out (Reprinted) by FFG

Never have tried it though
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Old Fox set - 01/14/18 02:54 AM

Remember now, how you'll see a fox track up on something high, like a hump ? They like to look around a little.

Keep it simple .

Re: Old Fox set - 01/14/18 03:49 AM

I have caught a few on blind sets on a hump or knoll but if the hay is burned off then it won't be much of a hump. Think the brunt patch would be more of the attraction.
Posted By: fossil2

Re: Old Fox set - 01/14/18 04:26 AM

these were called camp fire sets by the old time trappers. mimicked a campfire where one scraped out a frying pan into the ashes of the fire. the fox was assumed to be digging through these ashes looking for scraps from the campers. I remember butcher or dailey or someone of that era writing about this set in the old books.
Posted By: beltrami trapper

Re: Old Fox set - 01/14/18 04:45 AM

I get most of my fox in snares but I still get a couple every year on the burned stick post set. Chunk of wood 2-3" in diameter ,about 18" long with the end couple of inches charred, guarded by two traps usually. I mound up snow in the middle of a 3-5' area and pack it around the burned stick, 2 traps get bedded on the side closest to the woods about 8-10" out from the stick and 18" apart. Cover traps with a little snow and brush the circle over quick with a pine bough. If I am in a known good fox or coyote location I dont even use urine or lure at the set- they will see it and check it out.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums