Home

MB 650 Pan Tension

Posted By: Skiparp31

MB 650 Pan Tension - 01/14/18 01:25 AM

I've got 2 dozen new mb650 traps. I have loosened the pan bolts and taken the slack out of the dog but I can't seem to get the pan tension below 5 pounds. I use FMJ on my 550's. I'm wondering if the FMJ on the 650's will help slicken them up enough to ease some of the tension. I'm also wondering if an extended period in pure vinegar might help weaken the springs lightly. I love these traps but I really want 3 1/2 - 4 pounds of pan tension on them. My target is coyotes and Idk if 5+ pounds is gonna get it, especially with the back of the pan being a dead spot. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: huntinhal

Re: MB 650 Pan Tension - 01/14/18 01:28 AM

waxing them will help
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: MB 650 Pan Tension - 01/14/18 02:05 AM

The dead spot is a non issue! The five pounds would not be a problem for coyote, but you should not have a problem adjusting to what you want. I can’t help but think there is more to the story !

If you love those traps don’t put them in vinegar!!!
Posted By: Skiparp31

Re: MB 650 Pan Tension - 01/14/18 02:21 AM

There's nothing more to it. They've never been in the ground. I just don't want to wax or dip them if there's something I can do to lessen the pan tension first. I've searched other posts and the recommendations were to take the slack out of the dog and loosen the pan bolt. I've done those and I'm still bottoming out the pan tester. I'm just looking for any other suggestions that might help.
Posted By: AJE

Re: MB 650 Pan Tension - 01/14/18 03:28 AM

650s should be ready to go out of the box, for pan tension.
Posted By: coolbrze

Re: MB 650 Pan Tension - 01/14/18 02:40 PM

I soaked a few old RUSTY traps in vinegar a few months ago & it completely took the rust off, I was shocked. Don't think it will loosen up the springs but I'm no expert.

Re: MB 650 Pan Tension - 01/21/18 05:22 AM

What effect does vinegar usually have on a trap? Do many of you use vinegar?
Posted By: red mt

Re: MB 650 Pan Tension - 01/21/18 05:27 AM

AJE power wash the traps throw them in ground dye the next year after they get a coating of rust take better without the hassle.
Posted By: coolbrze

Re: MB 650 Pan Tension - 01/21/18 03:33 PM

Originally Posted By: AJE
What effect does vinegar usually have on a trap? Do many of you use vinegar?

Was recommended to me by a few guys here b/c i got a couple footholds that were covered in BAD rust. Darn near took all the rust off & the traps are like new!
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: MB 650 Pan Tension - 01/21/18 04:07 PM

If you have flaking rust by all means vinegar away, but on new traps why rust them intentionally? Wax them and set in the ground ! Wax and dye protect the trap, vinegar will not !
Posted By: Taximan

Re: MB 650 Pan Tension - 01/21/18 05:47 PM

Generally,650's don't do well with the tension screw backed all the way off.Many have reported them going off by themselves.I just set mine as from the factory and they catch any fox or coyote when they step on the pan.After several years,a couple got tighter and I backed them off a little.I don't test mine,just go by feel but I'm sure quite a few will go 5# and I still catch skunks in them.The only time I've failed to catch a coyote or fox,due to pan tension was with wolf traps with a measured 10# of pan tension.

Don't over-think it.The 650 will catch stuff,if you let it.

Re: MB 650 Pan Tension - 01/23/18 02:42 AM

It's a great all-a-round trap.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums