Home

Idaho Trappers Association wins lynx lawsuit!

Posted By: Idahotrapguy

Idaho Trappers Association wins lynx lawsuit! - 01/26/18 02:53 PM

Can’t figure out how to post AP article but Judge Winmill ruled on lynx lawsuit. I’m so glad we listened to the NTA and intervened. Gary Leistico, the NTA lawyer was amazing. So amazing we have a qualified lawyer that works for the NTA that actually traps every winter! Thank you to the NTA for footing half of the legal bill. I can’t imagine anyone justifying not supporting the NTA. We also received funding from International Fur Harvesters, Upper Snake River Trappers and THe Foundation for Wildlife Management. Perfect example of different trapping organizations working together for one common goal. It about broke the ITA’s bank account. We still have over 20 grand in legal fees. Anyone interested in helping can go to our website and joining up.
Posted By: Trap Setter

Re: Idaho Trappers Association wins lynx lawsuit! - 01/26/18 02:59 PM

Glad you won.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Idaho Trappers Association wins lynx lawsuit! - 01/26/18 03:20 PM

That is great news! Why don't you post the address where we can make a donation to help out, I would rather do that than join, in case your members get any mailings or stuff like that, it just is another drain on your organization! Congradulations!
Posted By: Cathouse Jim

Re: Idaho Trappers Association wins lynx lawsuit! - 01/26/18 03:20 PM

Fantastic News !

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/state/idaho/article196619734.html
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Idaho Trappers Association wins lynx lawsuit! - 01/26/18 03:35 PM

Originally Posted By: lee steinmeyer
That is great news! Why don't you post the address where we can make a donation to help out, I would rather do that than join, in case your members get any mailings or stuff like that, it just is another drain on your organization! Congradulations!

Idaho has a non magazine membership price.

Re: Idaho Trappers Association wins lynx lawsuit! - 01/26/18 04:09 PM

ITA PO Box 405. Mtn Home Idaho 83647
Posted By: idahome

Re: Idaho Trappers Association wins lynx lawsuit! - 01/26/18 04:11 PM

Very glad to hear that.
I've been a member for about 3 years now.
Posted By: 10bands

Re: Idaho Trappers Association wins lynx lawsuit! - 01/26/18 04:40 PM

Great news and didn't the Trapperman fund send some cash too? Maybe I'm thinking of something else.
Posted By: white17

Re: Idaho Trappers Association wins lynx lawsuit! - 01/26/18 04:41 PM

I don't know about funding but one TMAN member did testify as an expert witness.
Posted By: drasselt

Re: Idaho Trappers Association wins lynx lawsuit! - 01/26/18 05:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Idahotrapguy
Can’t figure out how to post AP article but Judge Winmill ruled on lynx lawsuit. I’m so glad we listened to the NTA and intervened. Gary Leistico, the NTA lawyer was amazing. So amazing we have a qualified lawyer that works for the NTA that actually traps every winter! Thank you to the NTA for footing half of the legal bill. I can’t imagine anyone justifying not supporting the NTA. We also received funding from International Fur Harvesters, Upper Snake River Trappers and THe Foundation for Wildlife Management. Perfect example of different trapping organizations working together for one common goal. It about broke the ITA’s bank account. We still have over 20 grand in legal fees. Anyone interested in helping can go to our website and joining up.

Great work congratulations Idaho!
Re NTA opposition, it is sad that some get so wrapped-up in typically petty BS they lose sight of the big picture; but I believe that is a small minority.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Idaho Trappers Association wins lynx lawsuit! - 01/26/18 05:39 PM

Did the NTA ever get that Chinese import tax on wild fur removed? Keeping my eye on the big picture.

Re: Idaho Trappers Association wins lynx lawsuit! - 01/26/18 05:50 PM

Not familiar with your gripe Dirt?
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Idaho Trappers Association wins lynx lawsuit! - 01/26/18 06:20 PM

Originally Posted By: drasselt

They were working on this.

"But last year(2014) things turned around abruptly, with prices falling nearly in half. China is in the midst of a broad corruption crackdown that has dug deep into an industry long accustomed to operating in grey areas. Russia, meanwhile, continues to face a sliding currency that has damaged its people's ability to buy foreign goods.

And the blows have kept coming. On Jan. 1, China removed a tax exemption that had allowed tariff-free imports of raw farmed mink and fox pelts, so long as those pelts were then exported after being made into garments and scarves. But the rule faced rampant abuse and at the beginning of this year, Beijing began taxing all farmed mink and fox imports, although it cut the rate by five percentage points to compensate.

It did not, however, give a similar break to wild fur pelts, adding new pressure to a Canadian industry whose product was worth $14.8-million (Canadian) in 2009-2010 (Statistics Canada no longer gathers fur industry statistics). Wild fur is still subject to a 20 per cent import duty; the International Fur Federation is lobbying Beijing to change the rules."
Posted By: 10bands

Re: Idaho Trappers Association wins lynx lawsuit! - 01/26/18 06:44 PM

Found it. The defense fund sent $1000 to the ITA two years ago.

Re: Idaho Trappers Association wins lynx lawsuit! - 01/26/18 08:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Dirt
Originally Posted By: drasselt

They were working on this.

"But last year(2014) things turned around abruptly, with prices falling nearly in half. China is in the midst of a broad corruption crackdown that has dug deep into an industry long accustomed to operating in grey areas. Russia, meanwhile, continues to face a sliding currency that has damaged its people's ability to buy foreign goods.

And the blows have kept coming. On Jan. 1, China removed a tax exemption that had allowed tariff-free imports of raw farmed mink and fox pelts, so long as those pelts were then exported after being made into garments and scarves. But the rule faced rampant abuse and at the beginning of this year, Beijing began taxing all farmed mink and fox imports, although it cut the rate by five percentage points to compensate.

It did not, however, give a similar break to wild fur pelts, adding new pressure to a Canadian industry whose product was worth $14.8-million (Canadian) in 2009-2010 (Statistics Canada no longer gathers fur industry statistics). Wild fur is still subject to a 20 per cent import duty; the International Fur Federation is lobbying Beijing to change the rules."

I don't know Dirt you would need to contact them and ask.

But I would speculate that unilateral international trade negotiations with a communist govt bent on hostile appropriation of private profits through criminal accusations and tax shell games is beyond the normal scope of what the NTA can handle on their own, or even teamed with the IFF. If the US govt fully backed the effort there may be some chance for a win, but obviously this is not a very big fish to fry for the feds.

But then again, I don't know.
Posted By: Jumperzee

Re: Idaho Trappers Association wins lynx lawsuit! - 01/26/18 08:47 PM

An excellent win for those of us that were in the affected areas. I resisted the urge to call up the enviros and rub it in since they're the same ones that sue our timber projects. Nothing to be gained in that and they'll be back....

Still need to keep our eye on this one on the CITES program, but for now ID is safe:

https://www.usnews.com/news/news/article...-us-fur-exports

BIG thanks to the ITA/NTA and others involved. I'm impressed with the responsiveness and tenacity of our State Dpty Attorney general that represented the State as well.
Posted By: Gulo

Re: Idaho Trappers Association wins lynx lawsuit! - 01/26/18 08:57 PM

Well said, Jumperzee. Kathleen Trevor from the AGs office and IDFG was on this case quite a while ago, and fought it hard all the way. I give her a lot of credit. Big thanks to all who got involved.

Jack
Posted By: Maddog47

Re: Idaho Trappers Association wins lynx lawsuit! - 01/27/18 04:22 PM

The Trapperman Sportsman Defense Fund did send them $1000.00 last January. As you read this the committee is discussing the issue further.

Maddog47

Gary
Posted By: Boco

Re: Idaho Trappers Association wins lynx lawsuit! - 01/27/18 04:59 PM

Congrats on your win over the antis.
Posted By: claycreech

Re: Idaho Trappers Association wins lynx lawsuit! - 01/28/18 12:24 AM

Join the NTA. Your state could be next.
Posted By: shorthair

Re: Idaho Trappers Association wins lynx lawsuit! - 01/28/18 09:13 PM

I hope when you said you "won", it's turns out better then Maine's big win on the Lynx issue. Death by a thousand cuts. trap restrictions, loss of drags, loss use of conibear unless you want to put them in a fisher restiction device, and trapping regulations that now read like fishing laws.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Idaho Trappers Association wins lynx lawsuit! - 01/29/18 09:55 AM

that's great news we are lucky to have Gary Leistico on are side

Re: Idaho Trappers Association wins lynx lawsuit! - 01/29/18 01:15 PM

Shorthair. Zero restrictions. I was not going to allow any restrictions. I knew what Maine and Montana went through. Bummer for you guys. Yes, support your state and national trapping associations!
Posted By: DaYooper14

Re: Idaho Trappers Association wins lynx lawsuit! - 01/29/18 02:37 PM

One win at a time. Congrats and way to get all the help organized and put in the right direction.
Posted By: PAlltheway

Re: Idaho Trappers Association wins lynx lawsuit! - 01/30/18 04:34 AM

The driver behind all these lawsuits is the phony lynx-are-rare-and-endangered issue in the first place. That is created and maintained by the US federal government bureaucrats at USFWS. A lot of them are political radicals and eco-warriors, and they use their official positions in government to advance their personal political agendas. Lynx are not naturally occurring much south of the US\Canadian border anyhow, so characterizing lynx as threatened\endangered and, therefore, needing on-the-ground protections like trapping bans and mouse exclusion devices is really a political statement and policy. Not a biological one. Lynx do not need protection in the USA any more than requiring that they be released immediately, or turned over to wildlife management staff if they are dead. Remove lynx from these ridiculous lists, and the antis will have little to hang their hat on. Anyone know Secretary Zinke?
Posted By: ebsurveyor

Re: Idaho Trappers Association wins lynx lawsuit! - 01/31/18 03:49 AM

Originally Posted By: PAlltheway
The driver behind all these lawsuits is the phony lynx-are-rare-and-endangered issue in the first place. That is created and maintained by the US federal government bureaucrats at USFWS. A lot of them are political radicals and eco-warriors, and they use their official positions in government to advance their personal political agendas. Lynx are not naturally occurring much south of the US\Canadian border anyhow, so characterizing lynx as threatened\endangered and, therefore, needing on-the-ground protections like trapping bans and mouse exclusion devices is really a political statement and policy. Not a biological one. Lynx do not need protection in the USA any more than requiring that they be released immediately, or turned over to wildlife management staff if they are dead. Remove lynx from these ridiculous lists, and the antis will have little to hang their hat on. Anyone know Secretary Zinke?

You can say that again!

Originally Posted By: PAlltheway
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Idaho Trappers Association wins lynx lawsuit! - 02/03/18 10:48 PM

I emailed the ITA to buy some shirts or hats or patches too.......but get no reply.
Posted By: James

Re: Idaho Trappers Association wins lynx lawsuit! - 02/04/18 02:11 AM

Congratulations!

What are the odds the antis will appeal? And your legal fees continuing?

Jim

Re: Idaho Trappers Association wins lynx lawsuit! - 02/04/18 06:12 PM

Traprjohn. I’m on vacation. Will get your info sent to you tomorrow
Posted By: madtrapper

Re: Idaho Trappers Association wins lynx lawsuit! - 02/04/18 07:33 PM

Is the decision posted anywhere on the net? I would like to see the full details.
Posted By: PAlltheway

Re: Idaho Trappers Association wins lynx lawsuit! - 02/06/18 02:10 AM

thanks, Butch. govt and policy are my areas. i started out in federal svc
Posted By: waggler

Re: Idaho Trappers Association wins lynx lawsuit! - 02/11/18 03:32 PM

Does anyone have a good link to the news article? The link originally posted on this thread no longer works.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums