Home

Will Beaver break through Ice like Otters?

Posted By: PineDoggin

Will Beaver break through Ice like Otters? - 02/01/18 02:28 AM

I see where otters break holes through the ice every 60 ft or so in open water thin Ice, but the beaver just seen to stay under for the area their in. Will beaver break through thin open water Ice. Or is that strictly otter I'm seeing?
Posted By: Posco

Re: Will Beaver break through Ice like Otters? - 02/01/18 02:36 AM

They did in this case.
Posted By: GoneTrappin

Re: Will Beaver break through Ice like Otters? - 02/01/18 02:43 AM

I seen one sitting on top of the ice feeding in northern MN a couple weeks ago, hole in the ice right outside the lodge. It was the only time ive seen that this late in winter. This was a pond with no other open water.
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: Will Beaver break through Ice like Otters? - 02/01/18 02:44 AM

Yes.
Posted By: beltrami trapper

Re: Will Beaver break through Ice like Otters? - 02/01/18 03:26 AM

I checked a spot just a couple days ago where the water dropped several feet and the beaver chewed/clawed/dug a hole through their dam just above the current water level, they were dragging willows back into the hole from nearby. I have seen this several times at this location. Young beaver will move in and not make a big enough food pile to get through the winter. They become real easy food for the wolves and bobcat during the late winter up here. I have also caught a lot of them that were locked in under the ice without enough food- clean out a lodge and they are all emaciated.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Will Beaver break through Ice like Otters? - 02/01/18 04:32 AM

Very common here.
Posted By: PineDoggin

Re: Will Beaver break through Ice like Otters? - 02/01/18 10:34 AM

I know the beaver will come through the Ice, We had a skim ice of a 1/2 inch and I could see where otter walked through the snow coming out of a swamp the bog was full of broken ice holes from where the otter were in there hunting around. My question was will beaver break random holes in the middle of a lake,bog,pond like the otters. Yesterday I went to another bog that was froze over with nothing but bubble trails coming and going from huts, so I am assuming there were only beaver in that bog.
Posted By: coydog2

Re: Will Beaver break through Ice like Otters? - 02/01/18 10:39 AM

I do not know if beaver will do like you ask but I have seen otters did that and had catfish heads near the hole.That was some years ago when I was ice fishing at the time.The holes was near the brush that was in the pond. where the ice was not that thick.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Will Beaver break through Ice like Otters? - 02/01/18 11:04 AM

yes in late winter if thin ice or open spot for fresh food
Posted By: Ole

Re: Will Beaver break through Ice like Otters? - 02/01/18 01:34 PM

Yes
Posted By: slowpoke

Re: Will Beaver break through Ice like Otters? - 02/01/18 01:42 PM

Yes , I've seen them make holes thru the thin ice and come out to forage for food ..
Caught some young beavers , with 330's over those holes ..
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: Will Beaver break through Ice like Otters? - 02/01/18 01:51 PM

Yes
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Will Beaver break through Ice like Otters? - 02/01/18 03:14 PM

Sometimes...depending on their food they put up.
Posted By: yukon254

Re: Will Beaver break through Ice like Otters? - 02/01/18 03:22 PM

Common up here, even when the ice is thick. Will usually see it later in the season, during a warm spell.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums