Home

First time fleshing- how am I doing?

Posted By: Nodak63

First time fleshing- how am I doing? - 02/07/18 06:13 PM

Finally got all set up and am trying my hand at putting up fur. Watched a lot of videos and read a lot on here. I think it’s going alright, the pelt I started with was rolled up and frozen, when I uthawed it the face was pretty dry, but the pelt seems good and the fat is pushing like I think it’s supposed to. Seems like the membrane/fat layer didn’t get started till about half way down, is that normal? The face was to dry to really flesh does that matter? I’ve attached a few pics (hopefully) any advice or thoughts on how it looks?
How do I post a picture from an iPad?
Posted By: Traps R Us

Re: First time fleshing- how am I doing? - 02/07/18 06:23 PM

pictures would be helpful. The files can only be a certain size, so try saving them a bit smaller.
what you describe sounds normal.
I am not the best guy giving lot's of advice on this topic, as it is my first year too with putting up my own fur, it's a lot of work and sometimes you can make it harder than it has to be. But it is very rewarding. I do not flesh the face either.
I think we need to remember it's not rocket science what we're trying to do here! smile

Cheers
Posted By: BearCave1

Re: First time fleshing- how am I doing? - 02/07/18 06:26 PM

What species are you working on?
Posted By: Trapset

Re: First time fleshing- how am I doing? - 02/07/18 06:26 PM

What kind of critter are you fleshing?

Also, I like to fold the face of all critters inside the hide when freezing. Keeps the face from drying out while in the freezer and while thawing with fan on them. Most if not all faces require little or no fleshing but when they dry out it can cost length on the board and doesn't have a "clean" look.

Re: First time fleshing- how am I doing? - 02/07/18 06:27 PM

Coyote, I’m trying to get s few pics posted....

Re: First time fleshing- how am I doing? - 02/07/18 06:50 PM

Pictures aren’t the best, had to take a photo of my phone with my iPad to get it to work....
Posted By: BearCave1

Re: First time fleshing- how am I doing? - 02/07/18 07:04 PM

Coyotes generally don't have much forward of the shoulders. I start at the base of the skull and work down, just get a small amount of meat and fat in that area. Split the ears and do face if there are thick areas.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: First time fleshing- how am I doing? - 02/07/18 07:38 PM

When you roll up fur, you should always roll the head in first so it's buried deep in the fur and it won't dry out much. Your fleshing looks good and it looks like you have a Necker fleshing knife, which is a decent knife, not some of the cheap ones that are out there. You seem to be off to a good start.
Posted By: imiller

Re: First time fleshing- how am I doing? - 02/07/18 08:24 PM

in your pic the membrane looks awful dry. did you freeze it fur in or fur out?
Posted By: Traps R Us

Re: First time fleshing- how am I doing? - 02/07/18 08:36 PM

as always coon creek outdoors makes some fantastic instructional videos. Links for Skinning, fleshing, and boarding of coyote below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdvvJOB32iM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHfEWmnRGzM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBnxZA0lhDg
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: First time fleshing- how am I doing? - 02/07/18 09:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Uwe
as always coon creek outdoors makes some fantastic instructional videos. Links for Skinning, fleshing, and boarding of coyote below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdvvJOB32iM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHfEWmnRGzM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBnxZA0lhDg

X2. his videos really help with the learning curve.

Re: First time fleshing- how am I doing? - 02/07/18 10:51 PM

I froze it fur in. I think it went alright, did get one small hole toward the bottom. Here’s how it looks finished. Hopefully he’ll be fine there till tomorrow, picking up some coyote stretchers from a friend tonight to use and then make my own from his template. I agree on the coon creek videos, those are the ones I’ve watched the most and seem to be the most informative.
Posted By: ShawneeMan

Re: First time fleshing- how am I doing? - 02/07/18 11:13 PM

Even the best guys make a hole now and then - no big deal - just sew it up.

Looks darned good for your first time!!

Re: First time fleshing- how am I doing? - 02/07/18 11:20 PM

Does a guy have to sew up every hole? Or only if they’re bigger than a dime or so?
Posted By: imiller

Re: First time fleshing- how am I doing? - 02/07/18 11:23 PM

freeze everything fur out... youll have a much easier time

Re: First time fleshing- how am I doing? - 02/07/18 11:34 PM

My mistake Miller, I misspoke, I do freeze them fur out....
Posted By: NEYotetrapper

Re: First time fleshing- how am I doing? - 02/08/18 12:56 AM

In terms of holes depends on where they are on the pelt and how long the hair is. Doesnt take long at all to throw a couple of stitches in a dime size cut if you think it will show. Bigger than a dime you should probably sew them.
Posted By: forestman3

Re: First time fleshing- how am I doing? - 02/08/18 01:20 AM

Looks like you may want to rehydrate the head some to get it on the board.Make sure you turn it fur out and roll it up and put it in a cool place until you board it.
Posted By: micheal

Re: First time fleshing- how am I doing? - 02/08/18 11:01 AM

Gets easier after the first

Re: First time fleshing- how am I doing? - 02/09/18 09:42 PM

Well crap, I tore it when flipping fur side out. Fur looks good and hide seems good I think I just let it dry too long. Is this thing worth anything now? First time so I guess it’s bound to happen but I hate ruining em when they’re worth money green. It’s a really long tear and can a guy sew when it’s dry? Wouldn’t it just tear again when I try to turn it inside out again?
Posted By: Txcoonman

Re: First time fleshing- how am I doing? - 02/09/18 11:06 PM

You could wet it again and sew it and redry it but I would chunk it, especially if your not very experienced in sewing, that’s too big of a tear to try to fix in my opinion to try and go at it your first time. Next time flip it in about half the time you let that one dry for. Just to where there starting to get a good dry feel to them but still pliable
Posted By: Txcoonman

Re: First time fleshing- how am I doing? - 02/09/18 11:08 PM

And if you think it has gotten too dry to flip just moisten the leather wet a warm rag real good and it should help
Posted By: wetdog

Re: First time fleshing- how am I doing? - 02/09/18 11:23 PM

If you are thinking about tanning some of your own fur. That is a good one to practice on. As far ad freezing fur,I have found that most of the time it is folded wrong. We as trappers are used to seeing fur that is put up. And we tend to fold it up the same way. What I mean is,we put the fur belly to back,just like on a board. Well that leaves the head and butt area more susceptible to drying out in the freezer. But if you fold side to side,all leather is touching leather. Then fold in head and tail and roll up and freeze. And make sure they are chilled before going in the freezer. Jmo
Posted By: fishermann222

Re: First time fleshing- how am I doing? - 02/10/18 05:24 AM

You let it get too dry, also how did you turn it, did you start at the bottom by the tail, or did you start by pushing the face through. You are a LOT less likely to rip a hide, if you take the face and push it through the mouth hole, and use your thumbs to keep pushing a little more leather down inch by inch. Let me know if you want a video, and I can take one next time I turn a thin skinned critter. I do this for all fox, marten and lynx. Wolverine and wolves, it doesn't work.
Posted By: Boco

Re: First time fleshing- how am I doing? - 02/10/18 05:37 AM

It works for wolves,that is how I turn wolves-nose thru the mouth.
Posted By: Spek Jones

Re: First time fleshing- how am I doing? - 02/10/18 07:15 AM

I do the same, turn everything starting at the head. A cord with an "S" hook on it to run up the inside and hook the nose makes things a lot easier. Anchor the end of the cord to something solid and it gives you something to pull against.
Posted By: trapper les

Re: First time fleshing- how am I doing? - 02/10/18 10:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Nodak63
Does a guy have to sew up every hole? Or only if they’re bigger than a dime or so?
I sew up every hole, and I'll put a stitch or two in a bullet hole as well .
Posted By: fishermann222

Re: First time fleshing- how am I doing? - 02/12/18 02:42 AM

Thanks Boco and Spek, I will give it a try this year. I like your idea about the S hook Spek, turning wolverines is usually a 30 minute ordeal for me lol
© 2024 Trapperman Forums