Home

First coon put up, how does it look

Posted By: Chuckles84

First coon put up, how does it look - 02/10/18 12:44 AM

Decided with low coon prices it was time to jump in to putting up fur. We did 6 and lets say there was a learning curve but we improved as we went. This is the first one off the boards. So how does it look?

Posted By: Finster

Re: First coon put up, how does it look - 02/10/18 12:48 AM

Not to bad. Nice prime fur. Personally, I would not have drawn the feet around the belly of the board as far and pleated the back more. That gives a thicker fur to the grader. However, all in all not a bad job.

Re: First coon put up, how does it look - 02/10/18 12:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Finster
Not to bad. Nice prime fur. Personally, I would not have drawn the feet around the belly of the board as far and pleated the back more. That gives a thicker fur to the grader. However, all in all not a bad job.

Thanks for the pointers, will remember to pleat the back on the next ones. Still have 5 in the freezer to put up. I would have liked to pleat the tail more but was having fits keeping the pleats while tacking down the hardware cloth.
Posted By: yukonal

Re: First coon put up, how does it look - 02/10/18 04:53 AM

The secret is to keep the hardware cloth narrow. No wider than the tail hide. Makes it easier to pleat and tack. Keep up the good work.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: First coon put up, how does it look - 02/10/18 05:05 AM

Good job.
Only thing I would change Is your window Is way to big. When making the correct opening cuts you shouldn't even have to trim the window.

I know some like to pleat the Skirt fur. But a grader Isn't going to give you one more dime for doing It.
Posted By: pass-thru

Re: First coon put up, how does it look - 02/10/18 05:42 AM

I agree with Beav that pleating a coon is a waste of time.

The only problem I see on your coon is the skirt is not even in the back. Just to the right of the tail it hooks up about an inch or so. The grader will measure to the high point, and you will lose that on size.

This appears to be from the way you cut when skinning. Don't go around the bung when making the opening cut....go straight across from ankle to ankle. that will leave enough hide to keep an even skirt, and any extra can be trimmed away.
Posted By: mnsota

Re: First coon put up, how does it look - 02/10/18 05:54 AM

First coon,I'd say you done very well!
Posted By: don Wolf

Re: First coon put up, how does it look - 02/10/18 06:04 AM

Pleating tails is a total waste of time. Pleating coon skirts doesn't do much good either. I pleated coon skirts for a season, then quit it. Wiping oil off of coon hides is a waste of time. Putting cardboard between coon hides is a waste of time. I stack 500 coon to a pile. The best way to stack coon is to put 5 rows of 5 coon to a layer. Then stack the next 25 on top of that row. I put 5 coons with all the heads facing one direction then put the next 5 coons with all the heads facing the other direction.
Posted By: bass10

Re: First coon put up, how does it look - 02/10/18 11:01 AM

Originally Posted By: don Wolf
Pleating tails is a total waste of time. Pleating coon skirts doesn't do much good either. I pleated coon skirts for a season, then quit it. Wiping oil off of coon hides is a waste of time. Putting cardboard between coon hides is a waste of time. I stack 500 coon to a pile. The best way to stack coon is to put 5 rows of 5 coon to a layer. Then stack the next 25 on top of that row. I put 5 coons with all the heads facing one direction then put the next 5 coons with all the heads facing the other direction.

I must really be missing something here? He has six coon to do and asked if he's on the right track. What does wiping oil off hides, putting cardboard between hides, how to stack 500 coon have to do with anything in this thread?
Posted By: micheal

Re: First coon put up, how does it look - 02/10/18 11:11 AM

Looks good to me, only get better with time.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: First coon put up, how does it look - 02/10/18 11:21 AM

Originally Posted By: micheal
Looks good to me, only get better with time.

Very true.
I used to obsess about how good a job I was doing, and convince myself it probably wasn't good enough, only to have the buyer quickly measure and grade them and tell me I did fine. Yours look pretty good to me.
Posted By: possum5676

Re: First coon put up, how does it look - 02/10/18 11:22 AM

Bass. Wolf is giving his thoughts and many miles on the handling of coon.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: First coon put up, how does it look - 02/10/18 11:34 AM

great job way better than my first coon smile
Posted By: rpmartin

Re: First coon put up, how does it look - 02/10/18 12:07 PM

^^^×2 good job

Re: First coon put up, how does it look - 02/10/18 12:12 PM

Thanks guys, all pointers have been noted for the next round.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums