Home

Remarkable Beaver Trapping

Posted By: mike jerrell

Remarkable Beaver Trapping - 02/11/18 04:31 AM

Some of you saw the pics Paul posted for me of the 96 pounder I caught Thursday. I figured once in a lifetime catch. Yesterday I had one that went 94 lbs and one that weighed 92.Today I had 4 beaver and an Otter.My niece got married at 3 this afternoon so I only got the Otter and 1 beave skint before having to get ready for the weddingTonite while skinning the others one of which was humongous,I decided to weigh it,I guessed at 80 lbs. My son said he though more. He was right,90 lbs! That’s 4 Beavers weighing 90 or more lbs. The 4 came of 2 properties,2 from each place.To my knowledge neither has ever been trapped. In fact one place is inside the city limits.The property owners have hir ed me to trap these pests.Unbelievable,I rough skin and freeze the hides,The hides feel like they weigh 20 lbs.The castors are at least a pound each and look like a bulls testicles.I am in no way implying that My trappin* skills are the reason I have been catching these monsters.Its just a matter of being where they are or were.If I could I would post pictures but I can’t.
Posted By: Michigan Trappin

Re: Remarkable Beaver Trapping - 02/11/18 04:58 AM

Wow. Just wow. That is just amazing. I hope you keep all four pelts and display them or make something special
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: Remarkable Beaver Trapping - 02/11/18 05:08 AM

Holy moly. I'd give my left castor to trap a 90+ pound beaver!
Posted By: Birch Tree

Re: Remarkable Beaver Trapping - 02/11/18 05:35 AM

That is incredible! Congratulations on such awesome catches, know that I (and I am sure others) am very jealous but in a good way!
Posted By: Tom cat

Re: Remarkable Beaver Trapping - 02/11/18 09:51 AM

Congrats!!! I’d love to catch 1 that big
Posted By: micheal

Re: Remarkable Beaver Trapping - 02/11/18 10:37 AM

Congrats
Posted By: coydog2

Re: Remarkable Beaver Trapping - 02/11/18 12:07 PM

Good job, that is some nice size ones.So far the biggest one I got was 65lbs. I know that is small for the ones that you got ,it is big for me.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Remarkable Beaver Trapping - 02/11/18 12:41 PM

Mike, what's the fur look like on those "beasts" you caught? The bigger beaver I've caught always seem to have low grade coarse fur. Great job...again!
Posted By: Sheepdog1

Re: Remarkable Beaver Trapping - 02/11/18 12:45 PM

How in Sam hill are you transporting them from catch site to your vehicle??. Those are backbreakers for darn sure.
Posted By: PineDoggin

Re: Remarkable Beaver Trapping - 02/11/18 01:04 PM

Was the Otter a Monster too,LOL Is there a power plant near by. Congrat's on those beast. You should save the heads, they must be the size of a bear!
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: Remarkable Beaver Trapping - 02/11/18 01:35 PM

WOW WOW WOW Is all I can say. Congrats. Like I mentioned before, hope you didn't have to carry them far!!
I have caught a few in the 80lb+ range but NEVER in the 90lb range.
I guess things are bigger in Texas, I mean Mississippi!!!!!!!
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: Remarkable Beaver Trapping - 02/11/18 01:36 PM

Originally Posted By: MChewk
Mike, what's the fur look like on those "beasts" you caught? The bigger beaver I've caught always seem to have low grade coarse fur. Great job...again!

Over the years I have seen that all too often Mike. The one I have in the "tail" contest actually has a decent pelt amazingly.
Posted By: novatrapper01

Re: Remarkable Beaver Trapping - 02/11/18 02:07 PM

That's amazing! They will go comforter instead of blankets lol
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Remarkable Beaver Trapping - 02/11/18 03:15 PM

Not try to be rude at all but check your "spring scale" by weighing something with a known weight, or bring in one or more of those to a mill or lumber yard, those spring scales don't always read accurately.

Re: Remarkable Beaver Trapping - 02/11/18 03:47 PM

I checked it using a 50
Lb sack of corn
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Remarkable Beaver Trapping - 02/11/18 03:55 PM

Originally Posted By: mike jerrell
I checked it using a 50
Lb sack of corn
I wasn't trying to be mean... You must have run into a colony that wasn't trapped for many many Years!!! Congratulations... Monster castors for sure.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Remarkable Beaver Trapping - 02/11/18 04:05 PM

posting pix for my friend Mike!

Posted By: MnMan

Re: Remarkable Beaver Trapping - 02/11/18 04:19 PM

You can see that they are carrying some awesome castors..$$$. That must be a giant otter too if you compare it to those beavers.
Posted By: Abu65

Re: Remarkable Beaver Trapping - 02/11/18 04:35 PM

I've shot a lot of deer that didn't weigh more than 90 lbs. Great job.

Re: Remarkable Beaver Trapping - 02/11/18 04:45 PM

No offense taken,Neither plac has ever been trapped to my knowledge,These were some old beavers I’m thinking
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Remarkable Beaver Trapping - 02/11/18 04:45 PM

Those are some toads Mike. My best ever weighed was 72.

Re: Remarkable Beaver Trapping - 02/11/18 05:00 PM

Originally Posted By: ratbrain
Originally Posted By: MChewk

Over the years I have seen that all too often Mike. The one I have in the "tail" contest actually has a decent pelt amazingly.

The fur was just typical southern hatter beaver,Nothin N.Y. like the density of underfur like y’all have.
Posted By: white17

Re: Remarkable Beaver Trapping - 02/11/18 06:08 PM

Were they all in the same drainage but on different properties ??

Re: Remarkable Beaver Trapping - 02/12/18 12:13 AM

Originally Posted By: white17
Were they all in the same drainage but on different properties ??

No White 2 came out of a 15 acre fish pond ,Pond was dug in the 40s.The Other 2 came from about 6 miles away.The pond spillway was about 2 miles south of The Pearl River and drained into wooded creek first.The others were near a canal that drains into the river five miles downstream.
Posted By: Kirk De

Re: Remarkable Beaver Trapping - 02/12/18 12:20 AM

I caught 15 that were over 90 pounds the first two years I started trapping here, out of about 2200 catches. There had been little trapping and no drought for over 6 years. That has not been the case since.

Almost all were females caught in February or the first three days in March. They were about to have the next batch.

They use to be consistent in that they would have there young around the 7th of March.

They still do but there are cases now that it is not uncommon to have young in February, late March, or April. Some even in summer. I believe it is the drought and heat coupled with the drought.
Posted By: Kirk De

Re: Remarkable Beaver Trapping - 02/12/18 12:28 AM

Quote:
The hides feel like they weigh 20 lbs

From what I remember green skinned would be from 18 to 22 lbs.
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Remarkable Beaver Trapping - 02/12/18 01:49 AM

Congratulations MIKE ,like stated before. Iv shot doe's that barely weighted 90lbs
Posted By: yukonal

Re: Remarkable Beaver Trapping - 02/12/18 02:09 AM

Originally Posted By: MnMan
That must be a giant otter too if you compare it to those beavers.

If you compare the otter to the beavers, it has to weigh about 70#.

No harm or disrespect meant, but looking at that picture, something just does not seem right.

One hide for the front, and one for the back, and you can have a vest made for your wife. grin

Re: Remarkable Beaver Trapping - 02/12/18 09:33 AM

Originally Posted By: yukonal
Originally Posted By: MnMan
That must be a giant otter too if you compare it to those beavers.

If you compare the otter to the beavers, it has to weigh about 70#.

No harm or disrespect meant, but looking at that picture, something just does not seem right.

One hide for the front, and one for the back, and you can have a vest made for your wife. grin

Only the beaver on the left weighed 90 lbs, The others were Lg and Xl. This was from Saturday’s check,The other 3, 90 lb plus Beavers were caught Thursday and Friday.Paul posted pics of the one caught Thursday that weighed 96, The Otter I caught Saturday was a good buck,at least 25 lbs.
Posted By: yukonal

Re: Remarkable Beaver Trapping - 02/12/18 03:10 PM

I stand corrected. Thanks for clearing that up.

I would have loved to have seen a tailgate pic of those monsters lined up. shocked
Posted By: Jim Comstock

Re: Remarkable Beaver Trapping - 02/15/18 03:23 PM

You really hit the jackpot! Amazing. What did they stretch???
Never have had even a 70 pounder in 52 years of trapping, high 60's is the best I can do. Most places they seem not to be left alone long enough to get that big and the feed isn't always great either.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Remarkable Beaver Trapping - 02/15/18 03:32 PM

Dang did you have to go to the chiropractor after wards !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
Posted By: jk

Re: Remarkable Beaver Trapping - 02/15/18 06:31 PM

Congratulations WOW great job, my biggest was 5 years ago and less than 60. And of course we had to carry it up hill, I guess all beaver must be carried uphill. But 90 pounds wow. Details what trap? castor or run? How did you get them out and how far did you have to go to the jittney?.....jk
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Remarkable Beaver Trapping - 02/15/18 07:07 PM

I've caught several that were over 70 pounds and I busted my kahoonies when I had to haul them out. Over 90 pounds I'd probably have to skin them on the spot. Unreal! Congratulations!

The castors of these monsters will probably be worth more than the pelts.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums