Home

Fastnacht Day

Posted By: Nittany Lion

Fastnacht Day - 02/11/18 12:54 PM

Soon it will be Fastnacht Day (Tuesday, Feb. 13th).
Posted By: Computer Hater

Re: Fastnacht Day - 02/11/18 01:24 PM

Well, let me be the first to wish you Happy Fastnacht Day, Nittany Lion!!! (Whatever the heck that is) eek
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Fastnacht Day - 02/11/18 01:32 PM

Fat Tuesday already. Wow how time fly's.
Posted By: RKG

Re: Fastnacht Day - 02/11/18 01:46 PM

Already got the lard, and Nana's secret recipe! Can't wait!

Froh Faschtnacht!!
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Fastnacht Day - 02/11/18 01:50 PM

Fastnacht Day! Woohoo!
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: Fastnacht Day - 02/12/18 03:17 PM

Tomorrow is the big day. Fastnachts for everyone.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Fastnacht Day - 02/12/18 03:36 PM

Fastnachts Day hip hip hooray!
Posted By: Tweed

Re: Fastnacht Day - 02/12/18 03:46 PM

Paczki day!
Posted By: Hern

Re: Fastnacht Day - 02/12/18 03:50 PM

Fastnacht Day
Yab a Dab a Dooo
Posted By: Coon Duke

Re: Fastnacht Day - 02/13/18 02:38 AM

Although I am proud of my PA Dutch heritage, it makes me wonder how some cultures came about celebrating the day by throwing beads at girls who flash their bare chests and we ended up stuffing ourselves with fastnachts...
Posted By: amspoker

Re: Fastnacht Day - 02/13/18 10:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Coon Duke
Although I am proud of my PA Dutch heritage, it makes me wonder how some cultures came about celebrating the day by throwing beads at girls who flash their bare chests and we ended up stuffing ourselves with fastnachts...

Ancient fertility rites.

Consider Jeremiah 7:18.

Re: Fastnacht Day - 02/13/18 12:57 PM

Lupercalia

Look up the meaning of "February"....
Posted By: hippie

Re: Fastnacht Day - 02/13/18 01:45 PM

I passed on them this morning. Haven't been feeling good so maybe i'll grab some later.

So, who all is gonna fast?

Re: Fastnacht Day - 02/13/18 02:48 PM

Originally Posted By: RKG

Lupercalia

Look up the meaning of "February"....

Coon Duke is PA Dutch RKG. Traditionally in PA Dutch culture Fastnacht Day was a day to use up all the rich foods in the larder to remove temptation during the fasting that was to come over lent.

Personally, I'm okay with both overeating fastnachts and throwing beads at bare-breasted girls. I think the two traditions should be combined, maybe throw fastnachts at the girls? grin

Re: Fastnacht Day - 02/13/18 03:36 PM

Originally Posted By: amspoker

Ancient fertility rites.

Consider Jeremiah 7:18.

+1

Re: Fastnacht Day - 02/13/18 03:37 PM

What we call groundhogs day was the beginning and it culminates with Valentines day/Fat Tuesday

Re: Fastnacht Day - 02/13/18 06:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Lugnut
Originally Posted By: RKG
[quote=Coon Duke]Although I am proud of my PA Dutch heritage, it makes me wonder how some cultures came about celebrating the day by throwing beads at girls who flash their bare chests and we ended up stuffing ourselves with fastnachts...

Coon Duke is PA Dutch RKG. Traditionally in PA Dutch culture Fastnacht Day was a day to use up all the rich foods in the larder to remove temptation during the fasting that was to come over lent.

Personally, I'm okay with both overeating fastnachts and throwing beads at bare-breasted girls. I think the two traditions should be combined, maybe throw fastnachts at the girls? grin

Ya, ich bin awwa. ;-)

I also know that many traditions were inherited from others and modified. Spent many hours teaching the origins of traditions that we blindly follow, but have no idea where they came from, or what they mean.

Machst guut!

Re: Fastnacht Day - 02/13/18 06:14 PM

Machs gut.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Fastnacht Day - 02/13/18 06:17 PM

Sehr gut
Das ist nicht gut
Mein deutsch ist nicht gut
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Fastnacht Day - 02/13/18 06:19 PM

Is there a pole like there is for festivus? For the restofus?
Posted By: hippie

Re: Fastnacht Day - 02/13/18 06:24 PM

One thing we Appalachains were never accused of is being smart wink

How'd J. Carvell say it?
"Pennsylvania is Philadelphia on one side, Pittsburgh on the other and Alabama in between."
One way i've seen him quoted.

Re: Fastnacht Day - 02/13/18 06:33 PM

On another note, we all love Faschnachts, but who holds to the tradition of taking out of the ashes? Esha puddel?
Posted By: Hydropillar

Re: Fastnacht Day - 02/13/18 08:47 PM

i had to google what the heck a faschnacht is .. here we call em Kuechles

Re: Fastnacht Day - 02/13/18 08:49 PM

then theres fleish Kuechles has fried hamburger n diced onions in the middle yum yum..

Re: Fastnacht Day - 02/13/18 08:52 PM

maybe if ya didnt have such a big belly from eatin all them fastnachts the girls would show ya bare chest... lol

Re: Fastnacht Day - 02/13/18 10:15 PM

Courtesy of the local Amish, my wife stopped for some on the way home:

Who else enjoyed their fastnachts today?

Re: Fastnacht Day - 02/13/18 11:35 PM

As I previously stated, those are actually one of many "Queen of Heaven" cakes Lugnut. They come in many forms. Those ones, I would guess, are associated with fertility rituals.

Re: Fastnacht Day - 02/14/18 12:08 AM

As I previously stated, those are actually one of many "Queen of Heaven" cakes Lugnut. They come in many forms. Those ones, I would guess, are associated with fertility rituals.

I like this guy

Re: Fastnacht Day - 02/14/18 09:33 AM

Jeremiah 7:18

The children gather wood, the fathers light the fire, and the women knead the dough and make cakes of bread for the Queen of Heaven. They pour out drink offerings to other gods to provoke me to anger.

Why would God be so angry about all this?

Continuing in verse 31, They have built the high places of Topheth in the Valley of Ben Hinnom to burn their sons and daughters in the fire—something I did not command, nor did it enter my mind.

Today, being Valentines day, will result in many abortions. Our more "civilized" version of child sacrifice.

Re: Fastnacht Day - 02/14/18 11:11 AM

I think you need to lighten up a bit amspoker.

I enjoyed my fastnachts yesterday. I didn't offer any cakes of bread for the Queen of Heaven or burn any of my children in a fire. And if I get lucky today it will certainly not cause an abortion.

Sometimes a doughnut is just a doughnut.

Re: Fastnacht Day - 02/15/18 02:02 AM

My apologies. In the future I will use more discretion when sharing the history of religous doughnuts.
Posted By: elkaholic

Re: Fastnacht Day - 02/15/18 08:25 AM

Lugnut, I'd be careful. amspoker's name is Levi... He might be Lebanon Levi. Him and his Amish mafia will come over turn your buggy. laugh laugh laugh

Re: Fastnacht Day - 02/15/18 10:03 AM

And squish all the jelly out of your doughnuts!

Re: Fastnacht Day - 02/15/18 01:15 PM

And squish all the jelly out of your doughnuts!

cry
© 2024 Trapperman Forums