Home

worms in the coons

Posted By: matt knapp

worms in the coons - 02/13/18 09:45 PM

Today while skinning a large coon I noticed round white worms coming from his legs this ain't the best pic but is it normal
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: worms in the coons - 02/13/18 09:49 PM

No worries just Guinea worms common in most weasel type animals~

Re: worms in the coons - 02/13/18 09:51 PM

Type in Guinea worms and look for a report from MI it will bring you up to speed on their history.
Posted By: Jumperzee

Re: worms in the coons - 02/13/18 10:00 PM

Why did I open this thread!?!? Why are you holding a parasite? Glove or not, I'd have lit my hand on fire after touching something like that. Worms creep me out.

Re: worms in the coons - 02/13/18 10:00 PM

Ok thanks guys had me worried I had never seen it before
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: worms in the coons - 02/13/18 10:07 PM

Yeah, many moons ago I was peeling a big buck mink and I swear I was attacked by an army of spaghetti worms. I wanted to burn the whole fur shed down..... didn't sleep for three days.
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: worms in the coons - 02/13/18 10:09 PM

Very common in mink, coon, and otter here,
Posted By: Boco

Re: worms in the coons - 02/13/18 10:26 PM

Finger lickin good.
Posted By: ShawneeMan

Re: worms in the coons - 02/13/18 10:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Boco
Finger lickin good.

... and so tasty too!!

Re: worms in the coons - 02/13/18 10:59 PM

One reason I don't eat Chinese food looks like live bean sprouts sick, they are harmless to humans but their cousins in Africa do infect humans from drinking bad water.
Posted By: fossil2

Re: worms in the coons - 02/13/18 11:26 PM

exactly why i'll never eat coon again. used to find them only in the wrist joints and pads on mink, then later in coon and otter, and spread throughout the animal.
Posted By: Northmocats

Re: worms in the coons - 02/13/18 11:28 PM

Yep, I've seen a few skinning coon here in Mo looks exactly the same. Saute them in Garlic butter over medium heat until crispy like a fry!
Posted By: fossil2

Re: worms in the coons - 02/13/18 11:29 PM

no need to saute them, just cover them with some warm ragu spaghetti sauce and enjoy.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: worms in the coons - 02/13/18 11:50 PM

Originally Posted By: matt knapp

Around 1000 people in America a year are treated for guinea worms.

In parts of Africa, guinea worms are extremely common. White doctors and nurses were pulling hundreds of huge worms out of boils in people in one African village, in a PBS documentary I watched. Some small worms migrate by the thousands to the eyes. You could see them writhing in the villagers eyes. The people were entering and defecating in the same water they drank, creating more worms and passing them on to others and themselves again. The guinea worms erupt from the boils and lay eggs in the water. The villagers had no sense of sanitation whatsoever.

Keith
Posted By: Ru2hunt

Re: worms in the coons - 02/14/18 12:35 AM

Thanks KeithC!!!!! You have just ruined my supper and now I'm wanting to back out of the mission trip to Africa Im going on this year!!!! Lol

Re: worms in the coons - 02/14/18 12:42 AM

What is dracunculiasis?
Dracunculiasis, also known as Guinea worm disease (GWD), is an infection caused by the parasite Dracunculus medinensis. A parasite is an organism that feeds off of another to survive. GWD is spread by drinking water containing Guinea worm larvae. Larvae are immature forms of the worm. GWD affects poor communities in remote parts of Africa that do not have safe water to drink. GWD is considered by global health officials to be a neglected tropical disease (NTD) – the first parasitic disease slated to be eradicated.
Many federal, private, and international agencies are helping the countries that still have local GWD cases to eradicate this disease. During 2014, only four countries had local GWD cases: Chad, Ethiopia, Mali, and South Sudan. Cases have gone from 3.5 million per year in 1986 to 126 in 2014.
Ouch!

Re: worms in the coons - 02/14/18 12:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Ru2hunt
Thanks KeithC!!!!! You have just ruined my supper and now I'm wanting to back out of the mission trip to Africa Im going on this year!!!! Lol

Africa seems like a great place to go except for all the diseases and parasites the Africans carry and all the violence they perform, including cannabilism, which is amazingly still common, even in some fairly developed areas.

Albino Africans are commonly hacked apart and eaten for magical purposes, as are dwarves and midgets.

Human smugglers extort more money out of family members of people being transported to Europe, by threatening to eat them if they are not given more money.

My Uncle Kent has gone and performed free dentistry and oral surgery in Africa and survived. My sister in law, Jen, has performed pediatrics there and survived too. Both had armed guards at their camps and were not allowed to leave the camps without armed guards.

I hope you stay safe and enjoy your trip. Get all your immunizations before going.

Keith
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: worms in the coons - 02/14/18 01:07 AM

Even hogs are smart enough to defecate away from food and water unless they are in to small of a pen
Posted By: Boco

Re: worms in the coons - 02/14/18 01:09 AM

Must be very dangerous there for albino dwarves.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: worms in the coons - 02/14/18 01:10 AM

Help them? How long does it take to tell them to boil water???????????????
Posted By: patfundine

Re: worms in the coons - 02/14/18 01:29 AM

Anyone who eats those nasty raccoon should eat a bowl of noodles too

Re: worms in the coons - 02/14/18 01:32 AM

The grossest documentary I saw on Africa, on PBS, showed Africans tanning hides. They used their hands to stir the hides in the chemicals and their hands swelled up to many times normal and looked disgusting. The Africans tanned their own hands. It apparently never occurred to them to use a stick to stir the hides.

I don't think it occurs to them not to defecate and urinate in the water they drink either.

The PBS documentaries give you a very low opinion of how people behave in Africa. I suspect conditions in Africa are even worse than they show.

Keith
Posted By: newtoga

Re: worms in the coons - 02/14/18 02:05 AM

I have saw those in otters quite a fewtimes.
Posted By: Savell

Re: worms in the coons - 02/14/18 02:11 AM

Originally Posted By: KeithC
Originally Posted By: matt knapp

Around 1000 people in America a year are treated for guinea worms.

In parts of Africa, guinea worms are extremely common. White doctors and nurses were pulling hundreds of huge worms out of boils in people in one African village, in a PBS documentary I watched. Some small worms migrate by the thousands to the eyes. You could see them writhing in the villagers eyes. The people were entering and defecating in the same water they drank, creating more worms and passing them on to others and themselves again. The guinea worms erupt from the boils and lay eggs in the water. The villagers had no sense of sanitation whatsoever.

Keith

...the villagers here in east Texas seem to have held on to that same "sense of sanitation" lol
Posted By: Savell

Re: worms in the coons - 02/14/18 02:18 AM

Originally Posted By: KeithC
Originally Posted By: Ru2hunt

Africa seems like a great place to go except for all the diseases and parasites the Africans carry and all the violence they perform, including cannabilism, which is amazingly still common, even in some fairly developed areas.

Albino Africans are commonly hacked apart and eaten for magical purposes, as are dwarves and midgets.

Human smugglers extort more money out of family members of people being transported to Europe, by threatening to eat them if they are not given more money.

My Uncle Kent has gone and performed free dentistry and oral surgery in Africa and survived. My sister in law, Jen, has performed pediatrics there and survived too. Both had armed guards at their camps and were not allowed to leave the camps without armed guards.

I hope you stay safe and enjoy your trip. Get all your immunizations before going.

Keith

....he's in Alabama so he should be started ....about like boot camp before being deployed to subsahara Africa
Posted By: jabNE

Re: worms in the coons - 02/14/18 02:34 AM

I think every coon I ever skinned had worms in their feet. Coon are full of them here.
Jim
Posted By: trapper234

Re: worms in the coons - 02/14/18 03:08 AM

I was fishing up in Canada and filleting out some walleyes that had worms like that.
Posted By: TrapperCarl78

Re: worms in the coons - 02/14/18 04:19 AM

I have also seen those same worms in several coon this season. Are these Guinea Worms the same thing as the Raccoon Roundworm that basically cripples those who get infected? The Raccoon Roundworm scares the crap out of me.

Re: worms in the coons - 02/14/18 04:21 AM

I believe the round worm is intestinal and a different species.
Posted By: bacatrapper

Re: worms in the coons - 02/14/18 05:22 AM

Nothing a shot of ivomec wont fix.........ganj on ..........
Posted By: dublelung

Re: worms in the coons - 02/14/18 04:27 PM

I noticed them in most coons I skin. Almost always around the back foot when I ring around the leg. Nasty as can be and the very reason I started wearing latex gloves when skinning all animals.
Posted By: Taximan

Re: worms in the coons - 02/14/18 04:48 PM

Coon round worm can kill you and handling them without gloves is a great way to get it.But,for the money coons are bringing,maybe it's worth the risk.
Posted By: Rye

Re: worms in the coons - 02/14/18 04:55 PM

We used to sell alot of coon for the meat here, but as of the last 2-3 years, this worm has spread to all of the places we trap. Every single coon we skin has them. The otter I cut into last week had a ball that just rolled out of his leg.

Re: worms in the coons - 02/14/18 05:09 PM

That worm was enough to insure I will never eat aconnConn again
© 2024 Trapperman Forums