Home

New member, enjoying getting back into trapping!

Posted By: Rcates

New member, enjoying getting back into trapping! - 02/13/18 09:49 PM

Hello trapperman, first post here so hopefully I can figure out the pictures right.

After an 8 year break from trapping I decided to ease myself back into the sport. My family is growing but my son is old enough to start introducing to the woods. That makes things much more special to me to have him included. I decided since deer season here was over I might as well trap for a couple weeks to re-learn a few things and then hopefully next year take a week or 2 off work to run a longer line. Could not find any of my coilspring traps and remembered that I sold them while I was in college. I ordered a dozen MB 550s and set on some good locations that I can check before work. The 1st week I only had time to set 6 coyote sets and then set the rest when I found more time. Managed to catch 7 coyotes and a bobcat in that time frame. Also caught more coons than I wanted as well but my son really enjoyed checking the traps with me and told everyone all about it. He will make a fine outdoorsman.

Here is a picture of us on the 1st morning that he could come check traps with me.

2 out of the last 3 coyotes caught were rubbed pretty good so I moved sets and switched over to targeting cats. Caught this pretty female.

Things have definitely changed while I was away. 1st time using the 550s and am very impressed. Was also my first experience with earth anchors. Holy cow. I pulled a few of the traps on a nice 55 degree day and realized just how good they hold. Don't have a nice puller so used a short chain and a handyman jack (after failing with some other brilliant ideas). Learned my lesson after straightening out a few j hooks and breaking a cable. I even drilled around them before my attempts. Next year will have quick clips on everything to ease with that and changing out dirty traps.

Luckily my wife enjoyed tagging along on the weekends so I'm sure she won't mind me ordering a few dozen more traps before next season wink Had a blast and can't wait for next winter!

Re: New member, enjoying getting back into trapping! - 02/13/18 09:51 PM

By the way, that is the first time I have caught a bobcat with both feet. I'm sure it happens often but was a first for me
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: New member, enjoying getting back into trapping! - 02/13/18 09:52 PM

Looks like you hit the ground running after 8 years, WTG!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: New member, enjoying getting back into trapping! - 02/13/18 10:14 PM

That's what it's all about, getting the family involved when you can. Looks like you haven't forgotten how to do it either.
Posted By: Osky

Re: New member, enjoying getting back into trapping! - 02/13/18 10:47 PM

Pretty great stuff there Rc.... Congratulations. Ask anything here, tons of knowledge to be found.

Osky
Posted By: mttrapperguy

Re: New member, enjoying getting back into trapping! - 02/13/18 10:57 PM

Great job. You have some great years ahead of you to enjoy trapping and having the family come along.
Posted By: forestman3

Re: New member, enjoying getting back into trapping! - 02/13/18 11:04 PM

For only a dozen traps you did good.Nice looking cat.
Posted By: Andrew Eastwood

Re: New member, enjoying getting back into trapping! - 02/13/18 11:38 PM

Nice job getting the family involved and nice catch. Depending on your location the state convention in Seneca Dec 5-7 might be a good place to get new gear without shipping cost.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: New member, enjoying getting back into trapping! - 02/14/18 12:48 AM

Good job. Glad your back trapping

Re: New member, enjoying getting back into trapping! - 02/14/18 02:21 AM

Thanks everyone! I really missed it. Now let's hope coon market gets better
Posted By: thebeaverguy

Re: New member, enjoying getting back into trapping! - 02/14/18 03:32 AM

Excellent.
Posted By: Michigan Trappin

Re: New member, enjoying getting back into trapping! - 02/14/18 03:46 AM

Way to go, you have probably heard it a lot, but I'm telling you again. That boy will grow up real fast, spend as much time as you can with him. The time I have spent with my son on the line and putting fur up has been priceless. Now he's 17 and Is talking about joining the coast guard, hard to believe how fast he has grown up
Posted By: micheal

Re: New member, enjoying getting back into trapping! - 02/14/18 10:27 AM

Congrats

Re: New member, enjoying getting back into trapping! - 02/14/18 12:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Michigan Trappin
Way to go, you have probably heard it a lot, but I'm telling you again. That boy will grow up real fast, spend as much time as you can with him. The time I have spent with my son on the line and putting fur up has been priceless. Now he's 17 and Is talking about joining the coast guard, hard to believe how fast he has grown up

I believe every word of that. At this age it is amazing how fast they grow and change. We have boy #3 due in April which will give us a 3yo, 2yo, and newborn. (I've been busy grin ). Someday I will have plenty of help.
Posted By: Kansas Rook

Re: New member, enjoying getting back into trapping! - 02/14/18 01:16 PM

Glad your back in it! We can stand to thin the herd here in Kansas! keep it up!
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: New member, enjoying getting back into trapping! - 02/14/18 01:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Law Dog
Looks like you hit the ground running after 8 years, WTG!
That's what I was thinking. Welcome to T-man.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums