Home

Sold to groeny today

Posted By: trapper20

Sold to groeny today - 02/20/18 08:34 PM

Just got back from the truck. This year I caught more small rats than normal, but I was still disappointed in the price. Just over $3 avg on 45 rats. 2-2x finished coon at $8/$10. 6 green coyotes- 3 at 20, 2 at 5 and 1 unsold. I did meet one guy that had a few 40&60 dogs, which is pretty good for our area
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/20/18 09:15 PM

That Makes a Guy groanee
Posted By: TRapper

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/20/18 10:12 PM

if disappointed then why sell and then complain?
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/20/18 10:21 PM

That's part of our DNA.
Posted By: red mt

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/20/18 10:32 PM

Originally Posted By: TRapper

Why even trap them? Unwanted is unwanted
Posted By: Boco

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/20/18 10:35 PM

Save someone else a trip.
Posted By: LLtrapper

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/20/18 10:53 PM

Where did you sell your fur you trapped this season? I actually do not understand why a guy would sell to someone who already said he did not want coon. He simply cleared the deck to buy cheap coon from those who trapped them. He knew we would and he knew he would pay nothing for them. Auction house is where to go this season.

Josh maybe when fur gets back up in price you will actually trap fur again. LLL
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/20/18 11:06 PM

$9 average on 2 coon that are 30 inches makes me feel a bit better, especially when the buyer indicated their firm was not interested in coon this season. In a week I will see how weak the rat market may well be.

Bryce

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/21/18 04:19 PM

Coon were just under 34". I sold because that's what I'm there to do. I did keep some fur at home for my own use. I'm not complaining about the prices, just a little disappointed. Coon did better than I thought but I was expecting a little better rat avg. I don't mind selling to groeny and the only other option in my area is FHA( which I do sell some to them too), anything else I have to drive a good distance and it wouldn't be worth it.

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/21/18 04:20 PM

I did see a fella there that had a beaver with a Snow White belly. I told him he shoulda had it tanned but he sold it
Posted By: Dave Plueger

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/21/18 05:24 PM

Originally Posted By: LLtrapper

Where did you sell your fur you trapped this season? I actually do not understand why a guy would sell to someone who already said he did not want coon. He simply cleared the deck to buy cheap coon from those who trapped them. He knew we would and he knew he would pay nothing for them. Auction house is where to go this season.

So what's your excuse for all the other country buyers?

Your going to be one disapointed fella once the auction dust settles. Wish it wasn't so, but it is what it is. The auctions have NEVER been the place to market when things are down. No reason it will change now. Fur consuming areas in Russia had their warmest winter on record, TONS of Chinese ranched goods still in the pipe line, fashion trends changed dramatically, Kopenhagen showed a slight upswing, but nothing to spur wild fur, particularly raccoon. Just what in God's name leads you to believe the auctions will move any real numbers at advancing prices?
Posted By: Muskrat

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/21/18 05:30 PM

Originally Posted By: trapper20
I did see a fella there that had a beaver with a Snow White belly. I told him he shoulda had it tanned but he sold it

Taxidermy.net

Anything unusual can be sold here for $$$.
Posted By: tbn

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/21/18 05:53 PM

Dave,when you are dealing with 5x coon with no defects in the leather it stands to reason that collection will do better than anything we have seen.Besides,those coon brought over $20 a year ago and throw out the doubles,for what coon do sell,he will have the majority of the best coon at auction.I can't say I have ever witnessed so many clean coon in a season.

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/21/18 06:12 PM

Well I can cherry pick too....Question is, would the remaining 80% have sold, and at what price? No sales will bring that 5X and 4X ave down REAL quick!

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/21/18 06:49 PM

Cherry pick or not it is the amount of the check when all said and done.

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/21/18 06:55 PM

When have the Russians bought coon at a state sale or country buyer?
Posted By: blackhammer

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/21/18 07:04 PM

That’s for posting. Did not seem like you were complaining much at all. I personally could do without the rants concerning how bad the market is.from others But that’s just me
Posted By: Northmocats

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/21/18 07:38 PM

You can always Barter on Prices when you throw your furs up there. Just a point to remember.

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/21/18 08:58 PM

Originally Posted By: tbn

Weibke's and Groenewolds are two that I know of right off the top of my head who sell coon direct to the Russians through out the year. I'm sure there are others.

Sorry hammer....I know the truth sucks. I could lie to you if it will make ya feel better?

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/21/18 09:06 PM

Whatever the case we will know soon enough.
Posted By: blackhammer

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/21/18 09:06 PM

For our coon up here at least last year some guys did better than they could hope to in the country. Had to wait a little longer to get paid. Wether that’ will be the case this year I don’t know
Posted By: teepee2

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/21/18 11:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Dave Plueger
Well I can cherry pick too....Question is, would the remaining 80% have sold, and at what price? No sales will bring that 5X and 4X ave down REAL quick!
Are you going to figure in the coon you still have at home into your average? How can a pelt that you haven't sold yet be figured into your average.

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/21/18 11:22 PM

I won't be able to figure my season average until I no longer hold a coon. Is there any other way to figure an ave? Not that I'm aware of.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/22/18 12:36 AM

sold to groenwolds for the past 8 years have also watched the auctions. For my fur the averages have been pretty much the same sometimes ive got more for green beaver than what guys on here said they got for theirs put up same size but I don't know what their fur looked like and that is the point you cant sell the same hide twice that's the only way you would know for sure who paid more
Posted By: cfowler

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/22/18 01:00 AM

Thanks for posting your results at Groeny.

I think there's still a whole lot of coons sitting in buyers' freezers. I know one who has over 10,000. They only keep frozen so long. But big dealers often times keep large inventories. They just have to keep their stock rotated. If they bought $25 coons 5-6 years ago, they can't keep them until the market rises enough to recover that investment. BUT, they can buy a cheaper coon, say $10, same size, same grade. Now they have two coons at a $14.50 ave. they stick the fresh one in the freezer, Can sell the $25 dollar coon, now turned into a $14.50 coon, and they got their money working again. The market ain't dead, it's readjusting after being smothered with junk fur and unrealistic expectations. Best thing that could happen to the fur market would be a required course in remedial fur grading and handling. Or, you could just go ask somebody like another trapper or fur buyer to give ya a hand or a few tips. Half the problem I see is, trappers are surprised half the time they catch something, then they don't what they're supposed to do with it, or how. The Wild Fur Market is controlled for the most part by trappers! It's our market. What is available on the market is something we control by what we send. If we send junk, it's a junk market, pennies on the dollar. It we wanna to show true pride in our efforts and skills, something which most have worked tirelessly to achieve, then we're gonna have a stronger more reliable market. Don't see many used chevy's at the Lamborghini dealership.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/22/18 01:19 AM

So...you're saying the wild fur market was depressed by too much junk fur?

I do not agree.
Posted By: NateM

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/22/18 01:24 AM

Weibke's and Groenewolds are two that I know of right off the top of my head who sell coon direct to the Russians through out the year. I'm sure there are others.

Sorry hammer....I know the truth sucks. I could lie to you if it will make ya feel better?
Weibkes and Groenewolds buting fur cheap as they can and you cant blame them. Its been a blood bath but I cant lose 4$ a coon because I feel bad for them. Even if its just a 100 coon and I know that we have very big high end coon apparently. If your right Dave and its getting worse, I glad to know that Groene a Dan will be at the auction biding on some cheap coon. Every sale has to have a strong floor.

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/22/18 01:24 AM

I won't be able to figure my season average until I no longer hold a coon. Is there any other way to figure an ave? Not that I'm aware of.

Spot on.

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/22/18 01:28 AM

Depends if you holding from year to year or not.

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/22/18 01:39 AM

Can't turn as big of a profit compared to buying coyote.

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/22/18 02:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Swamp Wolf
So...you're saying the wild fur market was depressed by too much junk fur?

I do not agree.

I think it played a huge part. NAFA was practically screaming for trappers to quit sending blue coons, damaged or poorly put up fur, etc. when a consignment seller, in any market, is sayin, repeatedly, don't send it, there's a reason. The other half was "unrealistic expectations". Trappers and buyers both continued at the same frantic pace to cash in. I was there doing it myself. I was one of the thousands of new trappers the DP and the over-all fur market created. The market was dropping as I came along trying to learn how to be a part of it. I sold everything I caught, whether it should've been skinned or not. And I didn't slow down cause NAFA was speculating a fire sale. Heck no! I went and bought more traps so I could catch twice as many. I was starting to get the hang of it and wanted to see what I could do. I managed to get my share of junk in there. Thankfully, there were people around who taught me how to properly handle and care for my fur. Took every opportunity I could to get a fur buyer's opinion on what I should or shouldn't be doing. The first coon I every sold was a 1X green skin $15. Started putting my coons up the next season expecting even better prices, despite what the market was saying. The following season I trapped even harder, caught twice as many plus, put-up looked even better, market was predicted to get a little worse, but my expectations were just as high. That combination flooded the market in my opinion. Lots of things affected the market, trappers have the true effect on it. There is no doubt in my mind that NAFA, and others in the wild fur market were flooded with low grade goods. Too many on this site reported seeing it personally for me to doubt it. Markets are supply and demand, and markets fall any time the supply exceeds the demand. If we are the supply chain then we need to produce quality to attract and keep a market. Expecting the prices of the past when supply exceeds demand is unrealistic. As is thinking every 2X coon is worth $20, There isn't a good demand for wild fur, so the market isn't there. How this market emerges, and it will to some degree I believe, depends on the trappers supplying it with their best, presented it at it's best.

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/22/18 02:50 AM

Not bad well said^^^^^^^^
Posted By: coonman220

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/22/18 03:05 AM

Nafa sold all coon last may an July, not sure what going happen with these upcoming auctions

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/22/18 03:18 AM

I never cherry picked anything. These coon were chronological. I had already sold a trailer and pick up full and I am sure there were some top lots in there as well. Dave there is no sense in getting uptight. You will sell your coon to GFW and get paid what they are worth to them. Your percentages lead me to belief you have smaller coon than we do here or you need to start stretching on wood. Not trying to get you mad but someone has to. We will see what happens. Fresh goods will move at higher prices as well as volumes. They are 10-25% cheaper to dress. GFW played a great hand. No one wants coon but I will buy them for a couple bucks. crazy LLL

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/22/18 03:29 AM

They have all the coon they care to carry or gamble on at this time Larry. As a cattle buyer there's times I feel the same way. I just don't tweet about it and move the market. That would be my complaint. Maybe my compliant should be no one would care grin

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/22/18 03:40 AM

I would almost bet that they are selling coon like Dave's right now. Picking them up cheap and selling them to the Chinese and flipping them. Fur buyers should never be in the business of building cold storage. Selling on you first loss is always the best. That is why we are where we are in some respects. LLL
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/22/18 03:55 AM

Larry, is the guy that bought you're first batch selling to China or don't you know?

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/22/18 04:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Rat Masterson
Larry, is the guy that bought you're first batch selling to China or don't you know?

I am not sure. He paid me well for them at the time. At least double price than anyone else. He has been speculating for several seasons. His money is good. I could have sold my finished coon to him too for a better average than others are reporting but I chose to send some to Helsinki. LLL

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/22/18 04:23 AM

Thanks for the response and good luck on your future sales. I haven't sold anything yet but will ship my coon to NAFA for the May sale.
Posted By: trapper234

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/22/18 04:43 PM

I sure hope this market makes a turn. I have not trapped in this market and soon I will be to old to trap. 61 yrs old now.
Posted By: walleyed

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/22/18 05:54 PM

I haven't sold anything yet but will ship my coon to NAFA for the May sale.

Rat Masterson !!!

Did You Fall And Hit Your Head ? shocked

w
Posted By: Taximan

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/22/18 08:09 PM

Originally Posted By: walleyed
I haven't sold anything yet but will ship my coon to NAFA for the May sale.

Rat Masterson !!!

Did You Fall And Hit Your Head ? shocked

w

You don't want to miss that sale!

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/22/18 09:48 PM

Okay, other not trap what is the alternative?
Posted By: cat daddy

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/22/18 10:50 PM

Was offered $3.25 nose count on 400 put up ‘rats. Caught from Nov. 1 till now. What would you do?
Posted By: gorham2464

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/22/18 10:58 PM

sell them

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/22/18 11:28 PM

well Larry, called in and shot 7 coon this year...all donated to a young trapper...also caught near 50 muskrats and again...all donated to a young trapper nearby. I just trapped for the experience.

as far as trapping again when fur prices come back...don't matter to me one way or another. There is enough money in bats, birds, and moles that i can actually just enjoy catchin fur and giving it away.

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/22/18 11:35 PM

TRapper good on you for giving fur to youngster to work on.

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/22/18 11:40 PM

i am not tryin to get a pat on the back but thank you. i have helped both young trappers figure out sets, locations, set up new trap lines, learn how to skin rats faster, and help them figure out how to put em up this last season. i was livin through them. for the first time in awhile i could actually enjoy each catch instead of throwin it in the back hungry for the next one.

sometimes i think Larry is offended i am not trapping as much as i used to HAHA. when a guy traps over 1,300 moles in a season then it is nice to have a breather from actually hittin it hard. and now i sit here typing that and i can't wait for the frost to go out middle of next week so i will be back to plantin traps in yards...already got 40 plus stops waitin on the ground to thaw.

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/23/18 12:33 AM

I would almost bet that they are selling coon like Dave's right now. Picking them up cheap and selling them to the Chinese and flipping them. Fur buyers should never be in the business of building cold storage. Selling on you first loss is always the best. That is why we are where we are in some respects. LLL
I know if Tom was the one buying them he would not have a market for all sizes. Everyone who buys a commodity is a speculator. It would help you better if they flipped them faster but that is not free market thinking.

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/23/18 01:03 AM

sometimes i think Larry is offended i am not trapping as much as i used to HAHA.

Nope. That's not it. I never thought you did. smile LLL

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/23/18 01:18 AM

Hahaha...haven't missed a fur season in 25 years. Best coon catch in one day is 35 and i have zero desire to do that ever again. Have had 50 plus mole catch days and best thing is i never had to skin em h

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/23/18 01:50 AM

I never cherry picked anything. These coon were chronological. I had already sold a trailer and pick up full and I am sure there were some top lots in there as well. Dave there is no sense in getting uptight. You will sell your coon to GFW and get paid what they are worth to them. Your percentages lead me to belief you have smaller coon than we do here or you need to start stretching on wood. Not trying to get you mad but someone has to. We will see what happens. Fresh goods will move at higher prices as well as volumes. They are 10-25% cheaper to dress. GFW played a great hand. No one wants coon but I will buy them for a couple bucks. crazy LLL

TBN stated earlier that you have the best, clear bunch of 5X coon at the auction. If that's not cherry picking your not being honest.

I live within the golden triangle, you do not, and no one here catches a very large percentage of 5X coon. Your also south of 80 where some buyers try to avoid buying coon.

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/23/18 02:15 AM

No cherry picking Dave. Just the coon I caught from Dec. 15th through the 28th and then the 15th of January to the 30th. They are a nice bunch of coon. They are worth more than 10 bucks. If not the auction will show it. I might put a picture up of the coon I shipped. LLL

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/23/18 02:29 AM

Do it Lar...picture worth 1000 words ya know

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/23/18 02:35 AM

I might put a picture up of the coon I shipped. LLL

I'd like to see a pic. Love pics of well handled fur, coons especially!

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/23/18 02:18 PM

I believe you Larry. Apparently TBN gave false info when he said it was a batch of 5X.

If they're all 3X and up you better do more than $10. I've been getting $12 for 3X/4X clears.

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/23/18 02:23 PM

And I can find absolutely no where that groeny said he didn't want coon. They said well before season that demand is minimal and that coon would be cheap. I have no idea how that got translated into them not wanting coon. Reminds me of a bunch of old cackling hens sitting at the gossip table!

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/23/18 03:16 PM

Yep,lol, I said Larry had all 5x coon.Soap opera!

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/23/18 03:18 PM

And I can find absolutely no where that groeny said he didn't want coon. They said well before season that demand is minimal and that coon would be cheap. I have no idea how that got translated into them not wanting coon. Reminds me of a bunch of old cackling hens sitting at the gossip table!

It isn't a secret they pay you better than anyone so I would expect you to support them for their advertising efforts.

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/23/18 03:40 PM

No where? Guy was at the WTA rondy and specifically stated he wanted no 'coon this year. Period. Nothing about demand being minimal. No 'coon. Nada. Nothing lost in translation.

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/23/18 03:47 PM

Spot on heard the same thing.

But when I sold to him he didn't turn down any coon (I didn't have any). But that was In Jan so things may have changed.

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/23/18 04:11 PM

What to believe, eh Beav? From the WTA rondy the weekend following Labor Day weekend . . .

NAFA said they only wanted 3X and larger 'coon.

Fur Harvesters said they wanted only early blue 'coon.

And Groeney said he wanted no 'coon.

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/23/18 04:13 PM

Lots of confusion when It comes to the coon market.
Posted By: Northmocats

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/23/18 04:14 PM

Sold couple weeks ago , bought all my coon I had.. Didnt have a truck load though either.. I did cherry pick through all my big ones lmao.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/23/18 04:26 PM

anyone know if they buy PA fur??
Posted By: coonman220

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/23/18 04:34 PM

Supposed to be higher auction prices this season for rat an coon the fall nafa magazine say an that what nafa reps are saying

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/23/18 04:56 PM

Wta yeah that makes sense because Iowa coon are the best in country like new york has the best rats

Tbn...u gettin paid by LiL to be so nice hahahahahahahahahahaha
Posted By: handitrapper

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/23/18 04:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Muskrat
What to believe, eh Beav? From the WTA rondy the weekend following Labor Day weekend . . .

NAFA said they only wanted 3X and larger 'coon.

And Groeney said he wanted no 'coon.

It’s apparent that they all have a different outlet? Or somebody is not telling the whole truth?

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/23/18 05:03 PM

https://moneyish.com/splurge/people-are-spending-3900-on-this-raccoon-hat-to-stay-warm-this-winter/

https://www.dhgate.com/product/2018-new-brand-woman-fashion-luxury-short/407136645.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Jancoco-...2824058708.html
Posted By: Starvalleytrappe

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/23/18 05:11 PM

Originally Posted By: coonman220
Supposed to be higher auction prices this season for rat an coon the fall nafa magazine say an that what nafa reps are saying

And the same was said last year

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/23/18 05:12 PM

Another interesting article.

http://www.sagafurs.com/inspiration/tren...red-fur-styles/
Posted By: TONY.F

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/23/18 05:16 PM

speculators are whats driving the gas prices up and the fur prices down

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/23/18 05:48 PM

When I talked tom Guy at the NTA he said coon would be cheap, not a thing about not wanting them. Their blog on their site prior to season said the exact same thing....It also stated that things could change.

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/23/18 05:50 PM

Dave,when you are dealing with 5x coon with no defects in the leather it stands to reason that collection will do better than anything we have seen.Besides,those coon brought over $20 a year ago and throw out the doubles,for what coon do sell,he will have the majority of the best coon at auction.I can't say I have ever witnessed so many clean coon in a season.

I see no mention of any other sizes.
Posted By: Teacher

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/23/18 09:31 PM

I may be all wrong but as I recall, there was a bunch of Chinese buyers who bought heavily, got caught by their own govt for not paying the tariff on raw materials imports, and backed out of paying for the 1/2 million coon they’d bought. This left NAFA awash in unsold coon and other things. On top of this, Trappers and coon hunters were still sending a bumper crop of hides to NAFA. About then the ruble crashed and there was no demand for western fur made into garments by China to be sold to the Russians. Coats and finished goods couldn’t be sold meaning manufacturers were backed up. With no one wanting fresh goods, prices paid tumbled. And yet fur harvesting went on. Anything that was prime, well put up and meeting the limited demand of the few buyers left got paid a little. But if it wasn’t what the market wanted, it was not sold. Finally, NAFA had an everything-must-go sale and sold for pennies on the dollar just to give themselves (and us) some breathing room.

The dollar has fluctuated. Russian, Greek, Italian and Chinese buyers are cautiously buying again. Fashions, in the meantime have changed. Coon and ‘rats are out. Beaver is being used as felt. The market is flooded with ranch mink and ranch fox. Cats and coyotes seem to be holding their own. The market that exists for coon and ‘rats has a ways to go to be at the 2013 levels but decent fur has a chance. Blue coon, small ‘rats, shotgunned fur and poor put ups aren’t going to do well in this market. But Groenwald and NAFA and other international houses have been telling us this for a while now. It’s our own fault for not listening

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/23/18 10:04 PM

Your spot on teacher!

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/23/18 10:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Muskrat

Originally Posted By: Teacher
Blue coon, small ‘rats, shotgunned fur and poor put ups aren’t going to do well in this market.

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/24/18 03:13 AM

Coon going strait to 0!!!
Posted By: rpmartin

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/24/18 03:26 AM

Your spot on teacher!

X2^^
Posted By: Teacher

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/25/18 05:12 PM

Locally I sold some big green Minnesota coon in early January and averaged around $7. We’re going to send some put up coon, some fox, a ‘rat or two and coyotes to NAFA to test that market. I have no illusions about what we’ll make nor when we’ll get paid, but we missed the last Groeny pick up and the freezer is needed for fish chunks for next season. This year has been a gamble against distemper, out of state funerals during trapping season, unknown fur prices and so on. We’ve done well getting some fur tanned and selling to people wanting man-cave wall hangers. I trap because I like trapping. And since my livelihood doesn’t depend on a fur check, I’ll continue to do so.
Posted By: 080808

Re: Sold to groeny today - 02/25/18 05:54 PM

2X to Teacher
© 2024 Trapperman Forums