Home

Bobcat feet and trap size

Posted By: jackrock

Bobcat feet and trap size - 02/25/18 02:39 AM

So just how big is a bobcats foot? I read about them having big feet and you need a big trap for the foot to fit in. But the feet don’t look that big to me. I’m sure a cat can splay his foot out, but they don’t walk that way do they? When they walk around I would assume the foot is compact just as a track shows. Any thoughts?
Posted By: Northmocats

Re: Bobcat feet and trap size - 02/25/18 02:47 AM

I've caught cats pushing 30lb's in MB550 without any problem. I've even caught big ones in the old 1.5 cs dukes. So I'd say any size 1.5 or bigger you would be just fine.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Bobcat feet and trap size - 02/25/18 03:11 AM

not a big cat at all. #3 bridger trap. I like a little extra room for a mishap.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Bobcat feet and trap size - 02/25/18 03:15 AM

Biggest cat I ever caught was in a 1.5 duke. I use Jake traps primarily but have caught a load in #2 bridgers. I think it’s all about guiding them to the pan. I could be wrong
Posted By: Andrew Eastwood

Re: Bobcat feet and trap size - 02/25/18 03:18 AM

I have caught enough cats in mb450s a 1 1/2 size trap to feel comfortable using them for cats, but with that said a larger trap is more forgiving. All I have trapped is KS cats so geography may make a difference I can only speak for my area.
Posted By: red mt

Re: Bobcat feet and trap size - 02/25/18 03:32 AM

Imo it's not necessarily about a cat foot size, other factors to it such as snow depth , only so much snow a trap can reach through.
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: Bobcat feet and trap size - 02/25/18 03:57 AM

Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: Bobcat feet and trap size - 02/25/18 04:14 AM

It's all in the guiding. But my go to is Bridger 2 or 3 or my 550s. Whatever is on top of pile
Posted By: tjm

Re: Bobcat feet and trap size - 02/25/18 05:28 AM

Originally Posted By: jackrock
So just how big is a bobcats foot? I read about them having big feet and you need a big trap for the foot to fit in. But the feet don’t look that big to me. I’m sure a cat can splay his foot out, but they don’t walk that way do they? When they walk around I would assume the foot is compact just as a track shows. Any thoughts?
If you have seen a good clean track, that is just exactly how big that cat's foot is.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Bobcat feet and trap size - 02/25/18 05:29 AM

Not all that big.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Bobcat feet and trap size - 02/25/18 05:36 AM

Sometimes they will step right on an exposed trap pan.
Posted By: 10bands

Re: Bobcat feet and trap size - 02/25/18 05:47 AM

Originally Posted By: AJE
Sometimes they will step right on an exposed trap pan.
All the time really. Some cat trappers use only exposed sets which is another reason for a larger trap. You can put a bigger pan on them making a more inviting place for a cat to step.
Posted By: cat_trapper_nv

Re: Bobcat feet and trap size - 02/25/18 07:15 AM

Caught a 40” Tom in an MB450 this season in an exposed walkthrough. Caught 2 more in a Bridget 1.75 exposed. Both stock pans

Re: Bobcat feet and trap size - 02/25/18 11:46 AM

How many did you miss? With exposed trap and using the smaller sizes how often do you see sign where the cat stepped clear over it? Around here you need snow to see what happened every time. Cats are experts at not leaving sign.

Re: Bobcat feet and trap size - 02/25/18 12:02 PM

P.S. I'm not saying a 1 1/2 wont catch and hold a big tom. It will. But only some of them. Some will fire the trap and not be there. Or just not step on it. when that happens you may not even know it happened without snow.

If I was trapping in NV where some of those toms are bringing a thousand bucks I wouldn't mess with small traps.
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Bobcat feet and trap size - 02/25/18 01:37 PM

A cat's foot is about as big around as a snuff can. I am, solidly, in Danny's camp.
Posted By: ambush32

Re: Bobcat feet and trap size - 02/25/18 02:16 PM

What's the smallest dbls that could be used? I'm using 4's now, thinking about going down to 2 or 3...
Posted By: adam m

Re: Bobcat feet and trap size - 02/25/18 02:50 PM

Biggest cat I've caught had a foot at 3 5/8". That one I had to call the warden to verify it wasn't a lynx barely white under tail ear tuffs were long but not long enough cheek tuffs prominent. Wardens couldn't believe that cat.

Lynx typically have 3.5" - 4.5" wide track.
I've caught several cats in 1 3/4's cs.
Posted By: red mt

Re: Bobcat feet and trap size - 02/25/18 03:35 PM

Originally Posted By: ambush32
What's the smallest dbls that could be used? I'm using 4's now, thinking about going down to 2 or 3...

Lot cats caught in 3s
Posted By: Taximan

Re: Bobcat feet and trap size - 02/25/18 03:57 PM

Red and Danny make real good points.It's about much more than foot size and holding power.A big tom's foot is about the width of an average coyote's though the hair may make it look bigger.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Bobcat feet and trap size - 02/25/18 04:05 PM

I have caught a ton of cats In MS and SC and NC and most of them were caught In a 1.75 sized trap.
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: Bobcat feet and trap size - 02/25/18 04:26 PM

My 2 trapping buddies and I have caught 100's of bobcats in 1.75 DCS. The main reason for using this size is for other states that require offset or padded jaws on #2 or larger. 1.75's dcs will also hold lions and bears. Just saying from 50 yrs experience.

Re: Bobcat feet and trap size - 02/25/18 04:52 PM

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/06/bella-t.../#axzz588iXInpZ
Posted By: Taximan

Re: Bobcat feet and trap size - 02/25/18 05:49 PM

Neat article Danny.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Bobcat feet and trap size - 02/25/18 05:52 PM

Yeah I've never understood why one would try to get by using the smallest trap they could if they didn't have too
Posted By: ambush32

Re: Bobcat feet and trap size - 02/25/18 06:02 PM

^^^^^ yes sir, my wanting to use a smaller trap 2-3 dbls vs 4 is weight for packing in a long distance plus I trap on state land this also concerns me with rabbit hunters in the area, #4 dbls would be a headache for a houndsman....
Posted By: bfflobo

Re: Bobcat feet and trap size - 02/25/18 07:21 PM

#2 Bridger, both front feet of an adult cat. A #2 trap that locks up is plenty to hold a bobcat. Maybe if dealing with deep snow a higher jaw might help.

Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Bobcat feet and trap size - 02/25/18 10:53 PM

Originally Posted By: ambush32
^^^^^ yes sir, my wanting to use a smaller trap 2-3 dbls vs 4 is weight for packing in a long distance plus I trap on state land this also concerns me with rabbit hunters in the area, #4 dbls would be a headache for a houndsman....
I was thinking people wanting to use ones smaller than 2s
© 2024 Trapperman Forums