Home

Minktober 2018

Posted By: Aix sponsa

Minktober 2018 - 03/06/18 11:39 AM

Absolutely worth it. What an experience.

Contact minkguy/Don P. if interested.
Posted By: Michael Morris

Re: Minktober 2018 - 03/06/18 01:13 PM

You going back? I can't make it this year, hoping to get back up there in the future.

Re: Minktober 2018 - 03/06/18 04:40 PM

Fur sure. It was a great event, well put together. Good food, although the peanut butter and chilli combo was a little off, crazy Pennslyvanians lol

I hope to go back one day, maybe when my boys are older and they can appreciate it.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Minktober 2018 - 03/06/18 05:06 PM

Aix,sure you've heard me say it before but i'm 1 1/2 hours away and a mink addict.really hoping to pull it off this year as i am finally working alone and don't have workers and families to worry about.miss out on too much is why i made the changes,we will see.

Re: Minktober 2018 - 03/06/18 05:18 PM

You need to go if you can PC, it is an awesome time, and by comparison, it is cheap. Don does a phenominal job, if I was an hour and a half away I would never miss one, I believe if you go once, you will feel the same. Unfortunately I am 14 hours away lol

Re: Minktober 2018 - 03/06/18 06:30 PM

it's alway's been right there when i'm trying to finish the stone quarry up and make sure everybody is set for winter.wife and son both went off and got jobs on there own and the 2 guys that cut and split stone for me retired so hopefully i won't be in that position anymore.its not schools like this either,when a factory worker i would make a dozen conventions every year.went into business for myself and been lucky to make it to a couple little ones each year.got the not getting any younger thing going and turning fifty in a month don't help.
Posted By: Hern

Re: Minktober 2018 - 03/06/18 07:08 PM

Information overload. Great trappers, good food and lots of sharing.
Host Don Powell does it second to none.
Plenty of time to sit around the campfire and talk, too.

I enjoy the 'speed demos'. Don gives anyone 5-10-15 minutes to share a set or share a trap modification or share something new.
Aix sponsa sure showed something new, last year. Thanks Aix for sharing that.
Posted By: Charles2

Re: Minktober 2018 - 03/06/18 10:50 PM

Event info? Details?
Posted By: HAGz

Re: Minktober 2018 - 03/07/18 12:05 AM

YES! Highly recommended!... An overload of knowledge, food and great trappers from across the country. Even that Morris fella is a pretty good guy wink

Thanks for bringing this up Jeff!

Re: Minktober 2018 - 03/07/18 12:07 AM

Charles - This is Don's site, I am sure he will be posting details as they become available

https://www.minktrapping.com/

Re: Minktober 2018 - 03/07/18 12:51 AM

Originally Posted By: HAGz
Even that Morris fella is a pretty good guy wink

Hahaha freaking Hagz

Re: Minktober 2018 - 03/07/18 12:56 AM

If I lived 10 hours away, I don’t think I’d ever miss one. It’s a 21 hour drive for me, and I still say it’s worth it on years that I’m able to swing it

Re: Minktober 2018 - 03/07/18 01:03 AM

Hit me up next time you go aix, car pool!
Posted By: paloduro

Re: Minktober 2018 - 03/07/18 02:33 AM

One of the best and most unique trapping events I have ever attended. I would love to go again, Don really does it up right. The knowledge, comradery, food and the host are all top shelf.
Posted By: Dfabs

Re: Minktober 2018 - 03/07/18 10:42 AM

I will be there without a doubt. As long as Don has them, I will never miss another one if I can help it. You can't even buy the food for what he charges for the entire weekend not to mention the complete information overload. Bring a notebook cause you are gonna want to write a lot of stuff down.

Re: Minktober 2018 - 03/07/18 01:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Michael Morris
Hit me up next time you go aix, car pool!

That’d be fun

Re: Minktober 2018 - 03/07/18 01:13 PM

Heck yea, you could even crash at my place for a night! Only be a few hours more and I feel like my company would be more than be enough to make that worth it! lol

P.S. Don't mention it to Hagz smile
Posted By: Tye dye trapper

Re: Minktober 2018 - 03/07/18 02:05 PM

Only picture I got from last year, great time and great people. Mr. Powell is one of a kind.

Re: Minktober 2018 - 03/07/18 03:06 PM

I snapped a few. Here is the Pavaillion, the center of the event.

This is Mr. Jerry Lebeou (sp?), he was suppossed to give a demo on "fisher" and instead gave one on "fishah" wink

This is Mitchell Simpson giving a demo on Lions, they tried to tell him there was no cougars in PA. Mitchell was quick to point one out, we did not get her name shocked

After everyone had given at least 3 demos, they finally let Jeff "Hagz" Hagerty give one (You can see how captivating it was, poor guy in the back was more interested in the demo at the bottom of the hill!) They sincerly apologized before and after wink

Red O"Hearns gave his patented possum demo. Words will not do the demo or Red justice, I will leave it at that grin

Don asked Mr. Jerry if he would give an under ice "beaver" trapping demo. Mr. Jerry refused and instead gave an under ice "beavah" demo grin

It was so much fun and so many great trappers were there, especially the guys pictured above, even Hagz wink. EVERYONE who can should go at least once. I plan to go back, for sure when my boys are a little older. It was a great time, I met some great people who I still stay in touch with, learned too much and for sure ate too much. 5 stars plus
cool

Re: Minktober 2018 - 03/07/18 03:14 PM

I wish I could post pictures on this site because I took a good bit of pictures there.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Minktober 2018 - 03/07/18 03:18 PM

One thing no one has mentioned, when I chatted with Don at the NTA last summer, he was talking like last fall may be the last one he has. Course he is the man, so I wouldn't buy my flight ticket untill he says go!

Re: Minktober 2018 - 03/07/18 03:33 PM

lmao... this has gotten a bit funny I see... hahaha... Mr. Morris, I would suggest the peanut gallery comments be kept to a minimum unless you want me to disclose how you 'obtained' some beverage... lol...

PSA: AIX SPONSA - DO NOT CRASH AT HIS PLACE - Unless your into that sorta thing... Just sayin'

Re: Minktober 2018 - 03/07/18 03:34 PM

BTW: Looks like Mitchell was giving the "hey look, over there" while I was chatting it up... lol

Re: Minktober 2018 - 03/07/18 03:36 PM

I went expecting almost all mink with a little bit of other stuff mixed in. Instead, it was a TON of everything. There were lessons on Beaver, Mink, Otter, Coon, Muskrat, Fisher, Martin, Weasel, Coyote, Foxes, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, and Red O’Hern. I’m sure I missed something...

Re: Minktober 2018 - 03/07/18 03:37 PM

lmao... this has gotten a bit funny I see... hahaha... Mr. Morris, I would suggest the peanut gallery comments be kept to a minimum unless you want me to disclose how you 'obtained' some beverage... lol...

PSA: AIX SPONSA - DO NOT CRASH AT HIS PLACE - Unless your into that sorta thing... Just sayin'

Hey, whoa, keep the shots above the belt bro! I told you that in confidence! lol

BTW: Looks like Mitchell was giving the "hey look, over there" while I was chatting it up... lol

That was right when Ole Mitchell applied his super secret lion lure! I was not quick enough to get a picture of it! Us poor missouori guys fall for "hey look over there" trick every time crazy
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Minktober 2018 - 03/07/18 05:10 PM

There are demos by many top quality trappers and you can sit around the camp fire and shoot the breeze with the likes of Mark Zaggerman, Russ Carman, Rich Faler, Dick Atkins, etc. Located in the beautiful rolling hills of western PA. Don usually has a surprise visitor like the the real Punxsutawney Phil and one of his handlers.The first event a few years back had an attendance of four trappers and now is one of the premier trapper events in the country.

Re: Minktober 2018 - 03/07/18 07:10 PM

Sorry for the rabbit punch Morris lol... my bad grin

Re: Minktober 2018 - 03/07/18 08:43 PM

Well, what I heard is that Hagz will be doing a Samoan Fire Knife Dance Performance using Fat Pine on Saturday night. It'll be part of the Minktober closing ceremonies. Save money by getting your tickets early!

Posted By: mike mason

Re: Minktober 2018 - 03/07/18 08:52 PM

with a bear trap Hags bracket around his neck!

Re: Minktober 2018 - 03/07/18 10:44 PM

Hahahaha

Re: Minktober 2018 - 03/07/18 10:50 PM

Zagger told me Haggerty wasn't allowed to book the hotel rooms anymore. He keeps booking them with a single Queen size bed to save money. laugh
Posted By: Five Points John

Re: Minktober 2018 - 03/08/18 01:31 AM

JD and I will be there again! We really liked the real word demos from the biggest names in trapping today. And the food was out standing! John

Re: Minktober 2018 - 03/08/18 02:39 AM

John. How did you and JD do this year?

Re: Minktober 2018 - 03/08/18 03:41 PM

TTT
Posted By: MinkGuy

Re: Minktober 2018 - 03/08/18 08:58 PM

We sure have had some characters and this year appears to be loaded with more who are planning on being there. With your help, we can make this year the best gathering yet and I'm hoping the picture will be something we can look back on and say I met this great trapper at Minktoberfest. I am inviting you if you can make it to join in a group that truly "digs the well a little deeper so future generations can drink up the knowledge which it has taken lifetimes to gather"

Re: Minktober 2018 - 03/08/18 09:27 PM

Don, can I be in charge of the 'booking approvals'? Some of these jokers need axed, lol...

Dfabs, seriously man? That sounds like something Morris would do... your better than that buddy... lol

AIX, now that's funny! That fat pine is RIDICULOUS!

Now get back to the topic - Geeeesh, can tell the season is over grin

Re: Minktober 2018 - 03/08/18 09:48 PM

Don,please pm the amount and where to send it so i have to go.i'm turning over a new leaf and looking to get out.was lucky enough to find the wife a second job recently.unfortunately her first job was keeping an eye on me. grin
Posted By: Five Points John

Re: Minktober 2018 - 03/09/18 02:56 AM

Not as well as we hoped. 3 mink, 3beaver, 4 rats, and a weasel. In about 3 week time. Work got stupid with over time. 11to 12 hour a day. Plus the hour drive each way, Then Grab JD and run a hour to check traps. Got to be too much on me. But it was worth it. We were both singing Delta Dawn between stops one night at the top of our lungs. John
Posted By: micheal

Re: Minktober 2018 - 03/09/18 11:07 AM

I sure like that picture of mrHahn34, my daughter and I.

Re: Minktober 2018 - 03/09/18 12:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Five Points John

Not as well as we hoped. 3 mink, 3beaver, 4 rats, and a weasel. In about 3 week time. Work got stupid with over time. 11to 12 hour a day. Plus the hour drive each way, Then Grab JD and run a hour to check traps. Got to be too much on me. But it was worth it. We were both singing Delta Dawn between stops one night at the top of our lungs. John

Well sir, any time on the trap line with your son is better than none. Hopefully next year you will have more time smile

Re: Minktober 2018 - 03/09/18 03:20 PM

Don, can I be in charge of the 'booking approvals'? Some of these jokers need axed, lol...

Dfabs, seriously man? That sounds like something Morris would do... your better than that buddy... lol

AIX, now that's funny! That fat pine is RIDICULOUS!

Now get back to the topic - Geeeesh, can tell the season is over grin

Haha...Love ya Hagz! I've been seeing all kinds of ways to use your brackets on my line that I didn't think of before after seeing all the ways you used those things last year. A Hagz bracket will be the first thing I add to every 1.5 I buy from now on along with a longer chain.

I can't wait to see everybody again. This is the best trapping related get together In the country. I can guarantee you will not regret the decision to attend no matter how far away you are. Everything is on a much more personal level than being at a convention, with the opportunity to learn from some of the best trappers around.

Re: Minktober 2018 - 03/13/18 04:36 PM

lol Dfabs! Sounds like we are on the same 1.5 modification plan wink ...

Something that hasn't really been brought up that I really enjoyed was the gift exchange. That was really cool and highlighted some that really have some talent in woodworking, fur displays, etc...
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: Minktober 2018 - 03/27/18 06:16 PM

I think I know what I am bringing to the gift exchange. It has nothing to do with mink though
Posted By: Newt

Re: Minktober 2018 - 03/27/18 07:10 PM

I'll be there this year
Posted By: PA_K-9_Trapper

Re: Minktober 2018 - 03/27/18 07:30 PM

Me too I can't wait!

Re: Minktober 2018 - 03/29/18 01:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Aix sponsa
The fat pine that I sent you was the best of the best out of the best there are. You could probably start every fire for the rest of your life with the amount that I sent you if you use it sparingly. I on the other hand don’t hold back. I’m not afraid to throw a banana sized piece in there and turn a pile of green firewood into an inferno, then again, I have access to a whole lot

That fat pine is wicked! awesome stuff for sure ... and I have a whole bunch of it thanks to you buddy... Can't believe how well it works!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums