Home

nafa truck too full?

Posted By: robert.d12

nafa truck too full? - 03/12/18 02:01 AM

Any ones else use the nafa pickup in NY today? I was at his first stop and he had me help him pack the bags in the truck tighter because he was almost out of room. Curious to see what he did when he ran out of space at the next stop when he had six more to go. Anybody else's fur get picked up by him?
Posted By: Backwater Run

Re: nafa truck too full? - 03/12/18 03:01 AM

NAFA pickup in Albany, IL. today. Same story, truck was full. I stayed to help finish loading the truck as the driver had to climb in to get the last bags in. Had to call someone else with a truck to finish todays route. The driver said after the last auction he couldn't believe the number of coyotes being sent to auction. It didn't hurt that with this years weather we basically had two seasons. Sounds like a lot of fur in the next auction.
Posted By: trapper les

Re: nafa truck too full? - 03/12/18 03:20 AM

It was nearly empty up here, I threw the 3rd bag of fur in.
Posted By: Kansas Rook

Re: nafa truck too full? - 03/12/18 03:35 AM

So are the thoughts that people just decided to try the NAFA route that were previously holding fur over? Not like hey had enough time to hear about prices 7 days ago and then go make a bunch of sets and finish a bunch of dogs. Were these folks all planning on selling somewhere else?

Re: nafa truck too full? - 03/12/18 03:49 AM

Our guy said all his other routes had very little fur so he brought a smaller truck, whoops.
Posted By: don Wolf

Re: nafa truck too full? - 03/12/18 04:57 AM

So what kind of truck do they use?
Posted By: walleyed

Re: nafa truck too full? - 03/12/18 07:44 AM

Originally Posted By: don Wolf
So what kind of truck do they use?

Pickup, Probably !! laugh

Ford Ranger Or El Camino !!! laugh

w
Posted By: tmrschessie

Re: nafa truck too full? - 03/12/18 08:51 AM

yep our pick up agent uses a big pickup to pull his BIG Trailer that was about 2/3 full with several stops remaining. We put in a pickup load of fur and none was held over. NAFA all the way.
Posted By: strike2x

Re: nafa truck too full? - 03/12/18 10:02 AM

The agent in my area uses a Budget moving truck. I would say a 14 footer and he could have used a Prius with the amount he had in the truck. Was even worse than last year. They did pick up twice this year instead of once though.
Posted By: Northcountry

Re: nafa truck too full? - 03/12/18 11:45 AM

Originally Posted By: strike2x
I would say a 14 footer and he could have used a Prius with the amount he had in the truck.

If youre meeting him in Grayling, thats his very first stop on the trip, the truck should be empty when he arrives.

-NC
Posted By: big momma

Re: nafa truck too full? - 03/12/18 01:00 PM

At the drop off couple of days ago the driver was talking about dropping a lot of his stops. He said one of his stops he hasn't picked ap a bag in a couple of years.
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: nafa truck too full? - 03/12/18 01:39 PM

I was second to last stop and the trailer was 20% full. Few years ago you had to wedge them in.
Posted By: mississippiposse

Re: nafa truck too full? - 03/12/18 01:50 PM

Not many fur bags at the stop I use. He said several new shippers due to county fur buyer going out of business.
Posted By: teepee2

Re: nafa truck too full? - 03/12/18 01:54 PM

The Ill. route driver uses the biggest budget truck you can rent. Yesterday he was full the stop before Albany but he thought he could fit that fur in, and hopeing he could call in some one to help finish the route. Estimated 5 digits of coon in side.
Posted By: Night Owl 22

Re: nafa truck too full? - 03/12/18 02:04 PM

I wondered how that truck made out. It was pretty full to begin with at the Geneva pick up and I was surprised by the amount of bags I saw coming in.

Re: nafa truck too full? - 03/12/18 02:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Night Owl 22
I wondered how that truck made out. It was pretty full to begin with at the Geneva pick up and I was surprised by the amount of bags I saw coming in.

What time were you at the Geneva pickup?
Posted By: Riverotter2

Re: nafa truck too full? - 03/12/18 02:32 PM

They came to my house Saturday in a 16 footer for their yearly pick up here. We bout fill that joker up this time. About three quarter full when he left. If they need a larger truck they can get it.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: nafa truck too full? - 03/12/18 03:55 PM

Yes it would be interesting as Don Wolf mentioned as to how many routes were run this season and the size of the truck that is being used. A full truck does not say much if it is a smaller than typical truck and if routes were combined etc. We will know when the numbers are recorded and published for the May sale. If many local buyers ship to the auction houses then one would think that the total number would not be overly high but where in the route they are picked up may change a lot of harvesters held back fur for later sales hoping market conditions improve.

Bryce
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: nafa truck too full? - 03/12/18 04:27 PM

I had about a dozen bags he picked up at my place. His trailer was about 1/3 full and I was one of his last stops. He drives a 1Ton Ford diesel with a pretty long trailer. One of the nicest fellas you'll ever meet.
Posted By: wamp

Re: nafa truck too full? - 03/13/18 01:05 AM

On our route they use a Budget rental maybe 20' it was less then a third full on the first stop of his second day of pickup. About the same as last year, remember few years ago the was about full when he got to us.
Posted By: Sask hunter

Re: nafa truck too full? - 03/13/18 03:19 AM

The NAFA pickup guy here picked up around 4,000 coyotes for the February sale this year. At a $100 average that's a lot of $$$$ in that trailer
Posted By: northsloper

Re: nafa truck too full? - 03/13/18 04:56 AM

The truck was packed when I pulled in at noon.
I had 25 bags that I took home.
Ernie said he’d be back to my place in a week.
Works for me I’ll have another bag of beavers ready by then.
Posted By: strike2x

Re: nafa truck too full? - 03/13/18 09:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Northcountry
I would say a 14 footer and he could have used a Prius with the amount he had in the truck.

If youre meeting him in Grayling, thats his very first stop on the trip, the truck should be empty when he arrives.

-NC

I met him in Houghton Lake at 5 pm. He bad already been out all day. I know he had another day to pick up but Dennis said it was way down for the day.

Re: nafa truck too full? - 03/13/18 11:03 AM

Robert, I was first in line a little before 9. The truck was more than half full when Ernie opened the back.
Posted By: Northcountry

Re: nafa truck too full? - 03/13/18 12:42 PM

I met him in Houghton Lake at 5 pm. He bad already been out all day.

OK, gotchya. I meet him in Grayling so I'm always the first guy to toss bags in. Therefore they get squished and trampled more than everyone elses, I feel so special. LOL

-NC
Posted By: bblwi

Re: nafa truck too full? - 03/13/18 07:42 PM

I think the way to review this is to wait until the numbers are listed for the auction and then work backward. Are we looking at significantly more fur in total or just a different marketing strategy with similar numbers or even far fewer numbers. It could also demonstrate the significant reduction in local buyers (numbers) or local buyers willing to invest in lots of fur during these low margin times.

Bryce

Re: nafa truck too full? - 03/14/18 12:12 AM

Well first off to clarify things this is the smallest truck I've seen Ernie bring in quite some time so "Too Full"" is all relative. This was like a small Budget Rental truck and I've seen him bring a truck close to the size of a tractor trailer back 5 years ago when fur was worth much more and THAT was too full, so he was stuffing bags in his cab.
Posted By: huntinhal

Re: nafa truck too full? - 03/14/18 12:48 AM

Sad to hear it was Garys last run.

Re: nafa truck too full? - 03/14/18 02:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Night Owl 22
Robert, I was first in line a little before 9. The truck was more than half full when Ernie opened the back.

Must have seen you there, I was there at the same time... I was the one he got to get in the truck
© 2024 Trapperman Forums